C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

$200 HID conversion or $900 OEM BI xenons?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Cls 63 amg, 2006 Bmw M6
$200 HID conversion or $900 OEM BI xenons?

I know this topic has been touched upon ver and over again, but sorry HIDS are one of the hottest mods you can make on your new car these days if it did not already come with them. My neighbor has this connection...... sort of lol that he can get HID conversion kits for 200 dollars. I have bought from him before for my old car c230 and they looked great. Very reliable. I'm thinking of getting them on my new car, but I love the look of the OEM bi xenons. Is it really worth it 900 dollars for the bixenon lens and the look, that much more over the HID conversions.
I'm also concerned about getting the Bi xenons with all the thefts going on
around the country for this hot item. Even the guy at the benzo dealer said that 04 and below w203's were very easy to steal and therefore even people with benzo's are being affected. Which should I get?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by caliboy
Even the guy at the benzo dealer said that 04 and below w203's were very easy to steal and therefore even people with benzo's are being affected.
Funny. From what has been posted on here on this subject matter I would like to see his definition of hard.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Funny. From what has been posted on here on this subject matter I would like to see his definition of hard.
Lol. Is this true then? Did they really do something to the 05's to make it harder to steal those lights? He said something about you can't order those lights from MB after car is ordered.

Last edited by caliboy; 03-17-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER

May I suggest the following; BIX retrofit FAQ. This will advise of the differences in the retrofit capability difference between early MY Maximas versus later MYs and the W203 MB C-class vehicles. Thereafter you will be better able to judge the knowledge and experience of the forum versus the undisclosed/unidentified/knowledgable guy at the benzo stealership.

Old 03-17-2005, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
I don't see how you could steal them out of a Benz. Not without wrecking them anyway.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by amdeutsch

May I suggest the following; BIX retrofit FAQ. This will advise of the differences in the retrofit capability difference between early MY Maximas versus later MYs and the W203 MB C-class vehicles. Thereafter you will be better able to judge the knowledge and experience of the forum versus the undisclosed/unidentified/knowledgable guy at the benzo stealership.

Been there done that and I did read that thread. It is definitely possible to steal those lights. I'm from california and it does not happen too much there, but when I was living in New york college--- There were kids selling lights left and right Hid's with converters and all. MB, maximas, BMW you name they got or could get it. It got so bad they actually had to put cameras in the parking lots in many of the student lots. I know for most people benzo is the almighty car that cannot be stolen or touched, but it is very ignorant to just base your experience on some threads from people who live in nice areas such as beverly hills, versus uptown NEW YORK city. and yes they do reck your car, that is the point. when they take out the lights that's where alot of the damage comes in not to mention the insurance deductable that people have to pay. As a matter of fact one of the local news stations over there recently had a story on more than one person getting their lights stolen twice. One was a lexus and the other you guessed it MB. It's just like the side mirrors...... Haven't you guys read those complaints as well.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:28 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 C180K Sports Sedan
$900 for OEM Bi-Xenon is cheap compare to what the dealer charge in Australia... AUD$3000, that's like USD$2340!!! I LOVE those bi-Xenon.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:52 AM

2002 c320 wagon
Been there done that and I did read that thread. It is definitely possible to steal those lights. I'm from california and it does not happen too much there, but when I was living in New york college--- There were kids selling lights left and right Hid's with converters and all. MB, maximas, BMW you name they got or could get it. It got so bad they actually had to put cameras in the parking lots in many of the student lots. I know for most people benzo is the almighty car that cannot be stolen or touched, but it is very ignorant to just base your experience on some threads from people who live in nice areas such as beverly hills, versus uptown NEW YORK city. and yes they do reck your car, that is the point. when they take out the lights that's where alot of the damage comes in not to mention the insurance deductable that people have to pay. As a matter of fact one of the local news stations over there recently had a story on more than one person getting their lights stolen twice. One was a lexus and the other you guessed it MB. It's just like the side mirrors...... Haven't you guys read those complaints as well.
it is very hard to steal bixenons..or not just bixenons but any headlight fixture out of the c class.. if it is successful..all the clips will be broken and it would be damn hard to install onto another car... its not because its a mercedes..its because the way u have to take it out... but back to topic..bixenons all the way..i used to have hid kit b4 and it was adequate..but its just not bling like bixenons..

Last edited by silverLorinserC; 03-18-2005 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
sorry if this a stupid Q,. arent HID and xenons the same?
also why do so many get aftermarket bi xenons for so much money, when u could have got them when u bought the car for 790 bucks

also, bi xenons means HI and LO bea m are xenon right, so then why is there only one projector looking light in the headlight shell, the lateral one.
what the light closer to the grill

thanks
Old 03-18-2005, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 Navigator
It isn't the headlight they want. They want what is inside the headlight. They steal the headlight to get the bulbs, ballasts, and projectors. Manufactors should get smarter and not connect everything to one unit, that is what makes it easy. Most of them bend the fender and rip the headlight out. Take it home, pull out the projectors, bulbs and ballasts and on ebay they go, for about $500. Anyhow, back on the subject, I would recommend the OEM bi-xenons. I say this because it will be an easy plug and play. You will get a clear lens, projectors which will give you better light output and a cleaner look. If you go with a kit, you will just be getting a D2R bulb and ballasts. More than likely it is going to be Japanese made, which most are crap. If you aren't going to purchase the OEM's, at least look on ebay and buy an OEM reflector based xenon setup from another car. You will get better quality because they will be Phillips or Osram. I have done quite a few xenon retros in my day, so I will help as much as I can. Actually, I finished putting some BMW projectors with Phillips D2S bulbs in my ZX7 below.
Attached Thumbnails 0 HID conversion or 0 OEM BI xenons?-image016.jpg   0 HID conversion or 0 OEM BI xenons?-image002.jpg  
Old 03-18-2005, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 Navigator
Actually, the 2nd picture the lights aren't on, that is just the sun hitting the projectors.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rotty
It isn't the headlight they want. They want what is inside the headlight. They steal the headlight to get the bulbs, ballasts, and projectors. Manufactors should get smarter and not connect everything to one unit, that is what makes it easy. Most of them bend the fender and rip the headlight out. Take it home, pull out the projectors, bulbs and ballasts and on ebay they go, for about $500. Anyhow, back on the subject, I would recommend the OEM bi-xenons. I say this because it will be an easy plug and play. You will get a clear lens, projectors which will give you better light output and a cleaner look. If you go with a kit, you will just be getting a D2R bulb and ballasts. More than likely it is going to be Japanese made, which most are crap. If you aren't going to purchase the OEM's, at least look on ebay and buy an OEM reflector based xenon setup from another car. You will get better quality because they will be Phillips or Osram. I have done quite a few xenon retros in my day, so I will help as much as I can. Actually, I finished putting some BMW projectors with Phillips D2S bulbs in my ZX7 below.
Nice job bro and thanks for the advice I'll see if I can get those bixenons then. I'll let you know what I come up with and then ask your advice. I just can't spend 900 right now more like 500 or less. Hopefully good quality. Let me ask you something though. If he can adapt a nice set from another vehicle would it look so bad. I mean I've done this before and honestly it was no bi xenon, but the look and reliabilty was amazing for 200 bucks..... what do you think?
Old 03-18-2005, 05:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 Navigator
Nice job bro and thanks for the advice I'll see if I can get those bixenons then. I'll let you know what I come up with and then ask your advice. I just can't spend 900 right now more like 500 or less. Hopefully good quality. Let me ask you something though. If he can adapt a nice set from another vehicle would it look so bad. I mean I've done this before and honestly it was no bi xenon, but the look and reliabilty was amazing for 200 bucks..... what do you think?
It wouldn't look bad. Do you have frosted lenses or clear ones now? The reason you want an OEM from a car is the longevity and reliability. They are name brand products that will last, and not some japanese made product that could burn out your wiring in a month. Remember, xenon draw only 35 watts, however when they first light up they can pull up to 3 times that wattage.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:55 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
This is the reason why the xennon lights are being investigated by our beloved DOT. Agreed that it is cheaper to do a $200 HID conversion kit on your halogen and still achieved "HID" status. What you dont realize and I hope you know this is that your NA oem halogen head lamps are designed just for that, a halogen bulb and to NA spec with that. So you will no doubt have a better visibility going down the road, but what you dont realize is that the poor *******s going against you had to look away because you are blinding them. Most of the time this will just cause irritation, but lets say just that one time you blinded some poor old lady and caused her to run off the road and slammed into a tree. HIDs head lamps have a differnt beam pattern and cut off to compensate for the glare they put out, even with that they still produce a glare going up and down hills so electronic leveling systems had to be installed. Please do it right and atleast start with the OEM units.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
OEM BiX IMO.

ive stated my reasons why before.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 Navigator
Originally Posted by 1Lop2K5C
This is the reason why the xennon lights are being investigated by our beloved DOT. Agreed that it is cheaper to do a $200 HID conversion kit on your halogen and still achieved "HID" status. What you dont realize and I hope you know this is that your NA oem halogen head lamps are designed just for that, a halogen bulb and to NA spec with that. So you will no doubt have a better visibility going down the road, but what you dont realize is that the poor *******s going against you had to look away because you are blinding them. Most of the time this will just cause irritation, but lets say just that one time you blinded some poor old lady and caused her to run off the road and slammed into a tree. HIDs head lamps have a differnt beam pattern and cut off to compensate for the glare they put out, even with that they still produce a glare going up and down hills so electronic leveling systems had to be installed. Please do it right and atleast start with the OEM units.
They aren't investigating, xenon kits are already illegal for use and for sale in North America. However, you chances of getting a ticket for them is very slim.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:34 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Rotty
They aren't investigating, xenon kits are already illegal for use and for sale in North America. However, you chances of getting a ticket for them is very slim.
I was refering to the oem HIDs, I remembered reading an article on it last year and even the local news in my home town was doing a segment on it stating that alot of people are complaining about the glare and DOT had to take another look because it was getting too many reports also. My guess is people are complaining because these ricers were blinding them on the road with the so called "HID kits"