C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

LOJACK - opinions abt it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
LOJACK - opinions abt it

stealership offered it at a discount, 895 bucks down from 1295. DO you guys think it is a good buy.
how hard is it to steal a c class?
Old 03-26-2005, 04:48 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a similar deal when I bought my car, I was a sucker and took the deal. At that time I didn't know about my tele aid system that came with my car which pretty much does the same thing as lojack. Tele aid can track your car with the GPS system as well. Then I thought to myself, its ok at least I'll have a really cool looking, high tech lojack indicator to play with (that's what the dealer told me anyway). Boy was I wrong, all I got was a cheap looking 1 led indicator pad which I have to carry with me at all times when driving the car. They call it lojack keys, if you don't drive with them the lojack will activate. To me having lojack installed is like having an extra key chain you have to carry. That's just my opinion.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:01 AM
Guest0001

I have it in my car. Biggest peice of crap. If someone steals, no one is going to notify you unless YOU notify the police yourself. Its stupid. Unless you get the "early protection system" package(which is like another 800 bucks) which automatically notifies the police if the car is broken into. Dont get it. No one can steal your car unless they flatbed it or hold you at gunpoint and take your keys.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
i also have it in my car... didn't even get LED keychain... it's useless, but got it anyways to reduce insurance rate... :P
Old 03-26-2005, 12:32 PM

2005 C320 4Matic
Originally Posted by mj50
i also have it in my car... didn't even get LED keychain... it's useless, but got it anyways to reduce insurance rate... :P

Hey MJ, actually if you look at the discount the insurance company gives you, it does not offset the cost.

That was the case with my insurance. I checked with them before deciding not to get it.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:47 PM

I dont know why they told you it was a LOJACK key, and that it needed to be with the vehicle, this is not how the system works. I will explain how the system works.

Your car is stolen.
You call the Police and make a report.
The agency enters your car into NCIC database.
The LOJACK database then scans the NCIC database for a vin# that matches.
Once this happens, LOJACK sends a signal out across the U.S. and it turns on your transmitter.
The transmitter emits one ping every 15 seconds until either the car battery is dead and the LOJACK's battery is dead, or until the Police pick up the ping.
The Police have a unit in the car that identifies the LOJACK signal and displays a unique 5 digit identifier on the officers screen.
The officer then tells the dispatcher that they are receiving a LOJACK hit.
The dispatcher then enters that 5 digit number into their system via a LOJACK screen.
Once this is sent out, the LOJACk then sends another signal that speeds up the tracker to one ping every second for 15 minutes, at which time it reverts back to the original schedule.
The officer then plays hide and seek with the vehicle in question and watches the strength meter either go in or out depending n whether they are getting closer or not.
Once the vehcile is located, the agency sends a locate message to NCIC which in turn , notifies LOJACK to turn off the unit. This all happens within a matter of seconds.

As for the ON STAR thing, I have never recovered a vehicle using on star. I have however recovered numerous vehicles using LOJACK.

Take you pick.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
yeah i have it in my w140 and w220. thank god nothing has happened so far. I wonder how long the battery last in the lojack itself before it needs replacement.
they offered me 2 diff kinds at the stealership. the one as described abt for 895 and one that soundslike u have to walk around with a key fob for 795.

Trending Topics

Old 03-26-2005, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I turned down the Lojack because it did not reduce my insurance, and it did allow a guy who can't spell Mercedes to hack into my electrical system and plant a box "somewhere" in my car. Then I had to make an appointment and fork over $ 95 plus tax every year for a new battery in the Lojack.

The pro theives either toss the Lojack in the first minute of the theft, or they park the car where they can watch it to see if the police are interested. The non-pros usually tear up your car so bad, you don't want it back.

With GPS, TeleAid and other spaced based tracking systems I believe those are better solutions to keeping it yours.

If I am going to a park in an undesireable place I activate my BDSI alarm. It is very effective, can be moved from car to car, and is a more powerful deterrent to theives than flashing lights and horns. BDSI is Big Dog Sleeping Inside.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Lojack did not appeal to me because I figured if the car got stolen, it's the insurance company's problem, not mine
Old 03-27-2005, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally Posted by mick1
Lojack did not appeal to me because I figured if the car got stolen, it's the insurance company's problem, not mine
For some time - until your car is found - yes, but you will still have to deal with the rest and will *very likely* take a huge hit unless your car is totaled.

Last edited by vadim; 03-27-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:42 AM
Banned

Damn you were right about calling your dealership a stealership. My dealership offered the Lojack for 695 dollars. Any way, you have one of the most high tech anit theft build cars in the world. On top of that your car if stolen is not desirable because the parts cannot be used like the japaneese parts can. Also the car is too flashy to be used in robberies. So I wouldnt worry about it. Only thing would be a tow truck. The tele aid system is good however if the car is taken to a hanger or some closed area the signal is gone. Just watch out where you park, make sure its a good area, and lock your doors.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:33 AM

which is the beauty of LOJACK, it works inside garages, even underground. As for battery replacement every year, this is not true. Also teleaid only works if you have it activated AND pay the monthly subscription fee, which over time is probably more than what the LOJACk would have cost you.