C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Test Drive of 05 Acura TL, NO big whoop!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by fasteddie
BullSh**........

Maybe you guys need get rid of your crappy Mercs and get yourselves a nice new Honda!!!!
Ive owned a few Hondas. One Accord, and three Honda motorcycles. The cycles were all good rides...I still miss the Nighthawk...cheap, reliable, unpretentious. The Accord, OTOH, goes down as the most unreliable car I ever owned. My 70 Opel GT had fewer things break. Now, mind you, I suspect this one was not a typical Honda, as you could have NEVER built a good rep if all the cars were like mine. Nor was I the first onwer. Aside from the endless hassle, the parts costs were extortion. And several of the problems put the car out of service...so that in my book is poor reliability. If the car still starts and drives, that's not a reliability issue...at least as far as I'm concerned. However, that car still colors my opinion of them as nothing but overhyped appliances. Several years later, a friend of my wife's owned an Accord Coupe that reminded me of mine, so I do know that mine wasn't the only bad apple.

Personally, My Mercs have been the best vehicles I could have asked for!!!
I can't say my Coupe has been perfect. It had the sway bar bushing noise, and 3 visits for the steering wheel buttons cracking. Both are pretty common problems I gather. However, I can't say either issue was a "reliability" or "build quality" problem. And it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the vehicle. I grin everytime I get in and go for a drive.

You have no appreciation for quality.
The word quality is so abused on these forumns. What is quality? The quality of the design? The engineering? The materials used? Build quality and finish?

So many people think anything gone wrong means a car has poor quality or poor reliability. Hey, whatever.

[QUOTE]Who is running around in a 1995 C class? Is it ready for the scrap heap? Let's see a picture. Probably original trans as well! How does it drive?

This is a valid point. The longevity of an MB is astounding. When I bought my Coupe, there was a last gen E-Class, used, on the lot with a gazillion miles...Ok, 226K. I asked the salesman what dope they thought they'd pass it off on, and he said he was thinking about buying it. We took it for a ride...drove great, interior materials were still looking good. So, I guess to me, that's quality and durability. Not having owned the car, I can't say what its reliability was.
Any idea if anyone still has a 1995 Acura...what does it look like?

Ed.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'16 528i MSport
Get rid of my crappy Merc?? I've got an E...tha **** you talkin about?
Old 03-28-2005, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Hmm? Why does someone who wants this thread to die, continue to post replies?
Old 03-28-2005, 10:36 PM

2001 ML320 E, 2003 C230K Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by DaCeptak0n
Y'know;

When I was the rich little bast**d (not so little actually, 6'6" and 270lbs) in school, all I had was a Chrysler LeBaron......and only one of them (Can you believe that?).

Actually, I bought the Chrysler after I wrecked my 76 TransAm 455 (Heartbreaking). I Guess I'm getting kind of old, but I can't quite figure out......

Why do you need a TL, an MDX, and an E? 3 vehicles?

BTW .... When do you Graduate, and what are you taking? Hope it is going well.

Ed.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by !!!!!NJ Drive
whats the difference between the TL & RL???...dont know which 1 you guys are talking about looks like
RL is bigger and more expensive (top of the acura line up for sedans) and They are talking about the TL.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Who is running around in a 1995 C class? Is it ready for the scrap heap? Let's see a picture. Probably original trans as well! How does it drive?[
My C-class is in very good condition. I like driving it. I have no complaints about the money I've dropped on it. My reply was only meant to point out that whoever made the comment about electrical systems in Mercedes being superior was full of ****. By the way, my tranny was replaced under warranty be the previous owners at 30K.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by davis449
My reply was only meant to point out that whoever made the comment about electrical systems in Mercedes being superior was full of ****.
What evidence do you to prove your "point"?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Go check out the article in the new Car and Driver about "Lucas Jokes". It's a nice little article about the history of the jokes relating to that company and how ****ty their products used to be, and for that matter still are. Lucas is the company that makes a lot of, if not all, electrical system components for a lot of European cars, including Mercedes. Jaguar is their most famous **** up. But other than that, the research I've done and articles I've read, as well as listening to people at the dealer dropping their cars off for repair whether under warranty or not, often involve cronic problems with the electrical gremlins that seem to run amuck in a lot of newer and older Mercedes (mostly newer ones).
Old 03-29-2005, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Go check out the article in the new Car and Driver about "Lucas Jokes". It's a nice little article about the history of the jokes relating to that company and how ****ty their products used to be, and for that matter still are. Lucas is the company that makes a lot of, if not all, electrical system components for a lot of European cars, including Mercedes. Jaguar is their most famous **** up. But other than that, the research I've done and articles I've read, as well as listening to people at the dealer dropping their cars off for repair whether under warranty or not, often involve cronic problems with the electrical gremlins that seem to run amuck in a lot of newer and older Mercedes (mostly newer ones).
All that typing and not a SHRED of PROOF that MB electrical systems are "inferior". I'm not surprised. You should take that electrical engineering degree back and ask for a refund
Old 03-29-2005, 04:56 PM

'16 528i MSport
Jim B, are you serious? Mercedes-Benz is full of electrical problems. Read the forums...

I am so flabbergasted that an MB owner is not aware of that. Maybe it hasn't happened to your car but its evident, very evident
Old 03-29-2005, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why am I NOT surprised that you stated that you want this thread to die, yet can't resist posting over and over

If you have an E class, why are you getting a TL? Or is the E class your mommy's?

Mercedes-Benz is full of electrical problems.
Yeah! My C230K throws errors every time I pull out of the driveway...NOT!

Look, I ACTUALLY OWN a Mercedes. I have OWNED 2 of them. The FACT is that the more complicated you make something, the more problems that are likely to crop up. The technology in the MB is more advanced and complicated than that of just about every other Domestic and Japanese car on the road. Is it perfect? NO, but that's the price for leading rather than following. F1 engines are way more advanced than our engines, but, believe it or not, they actually go BOOM a LOT more often than our engines do!!! Using your logic, an F1 engine MUST be inferior

Here's a new rule: if YOUR name isn't on the title of a car, you aren't allowed to put it in your sig

Last edited by Jim Banville; 03-29-2005 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:21 PM

Oh Please !!!!

Give me a break from the BS!!!!

C&D - useless Knobs.... They are just about as bad as Motor Trend.

First off, Yours and just about all the other Mercs built over the last 25 Years are Bosch Based!!! Some exceptions are some of the newer engines with Cylinder by Cylinder fuel and timing metering, which are Siemens based, but still use many Bosch Components.

C&D may think they are Lucas, but it isn't. And by the way, Lucas was providing Europe with Fuel injection systems, when N/A was screwing around with Rochester Carbs and heat riser valves.....so don't go there either.

So that Said:

By superior Electrical system....

I like that fact my car has Puddle lights,

It shuts off the Wipers when I get out so it doesn't splash me!,

The HU will not hang up, even if I turn the key off, till I end the call.

It has Tunnel Mode

It allows me to use Rest to keep the Kid warm, and play the radio without the key in the ignition

The Gas cap cover has an automatic release

it has more airbags, that only go off on an as needed basis,

Door Locks that open after an accident,

etc, etc, etc.

I wish I could have had a European delivery instead of having to just settle with the options allowed by MBNA. Have you seen some of the stuff that is offered or built into the system? Look at Sunman's car!!!!

Bottom like is you are getting a more complicated car, you might expect something to go wrong.

Ed.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:33 PM

Jim B, are you serious? Mercedes-Benz is full of electrical problems. Read the forums...

I am so flabbergasted that an MB owner is not aware of that. Maybe it hasn't happened to your car but its evident, very evident

You Got Nerve.

You Own a TL, You don't have a Merc!!!!!

Your Dad has the Merc. Your Mom a MDX.

What is your goal in life....To get Flamed?

Tell your Daddy to get rid of His POS and I will respect you again!!!!

Ed
Old 03-29-2005, 09:31 PM

Lexus GS 450h
THought I would inform ya'll they are bashing some of you here

This Acura forum is infamous for calling out other forums and acting like they are angles of the earth. If you read there, they bash anything else and even though the TL is plauged with problems, act like its Christ's chariot.

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...2&page=1&pp=25
Old 03-29-2005, 10:15 PM

'16 528i MSport
Why you guys getting mad, its all fun and games. You guys paid a price for name. Wait, why a C230, the lowest model in the Mercedes Line-up. I wish my E had some of the features my TL got. Think of it like this my chap, I got any of these to choose from every morning.

People taking it so seriously. Don't be mad cause your at the bottom of the totem pole....its okay. Your time will come or for some of you, time may already faded, thats why you needed to hurry up and get on the Benz bandwagon but startin out small is good. Good luck fellows...

Last edited by DaCeptak0n; 03-29-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

This Acura forum is infamous for calling out other forums and acting like they are angles of the earth. If you read there, they bash anything else and even though the TL is plauged with problems, act like its Christ's chariot.

I'm Famous........Koooool

Ed.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SlowEddie, now you really got me aggravated. And forget the civility. You crossed it by degrading an E-class, especially mine when you drive a C230, come on, grow up..here we go...

You wanted to drive at least a C32/C55 but couldn't afford any of them but you wanted to jump on the Benz bandwagon and started at the bottom of the tatompole...I wanted to drive an E55 but I coudn't afford it so I started out at the 50G range and moved my way up.. You moved your way down

How you like them apples?!
DaCraptOn, please answer these questions:
Why do you keep posting in this thread when you said it should die?
Why do you put your mommy's and daddy's cars in your sig and act as if they are your's?
If MB's are such poor vehicles and you get so much joy from ridiculing them (such as your ridiculous "kill story"), why are you a member of this MB "enthusiast" site?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:46 PM

2004 Capri Blue C32
Funny how someone said to just race them and whoop their ***, then they'll shut up. I'd love nothing better than to have one of those TL's try to race me in my C32. Don't get me wrong....I like the TL, and I have a friend that owns one and loves it. It's the ****y TL drivers that think their car is the fastest thing on the road that need a dose of reality.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:52 PM

Why you guys getting mad, its all fun and games. You guys paid a price for name. Wait, why a C230, the lowest model in the Mercedes Line-up. I wish my E had some of the features my TL got. Think of it like this my chap, I got any of these to choose from every morning.

People taking it so seriously. Don't be mad cause your at the bottom of the totem pole....its okay. Your time will come or for some of you, time may already faded, thats why you needed to hurry up and get on the Benz bandwagon but startin out small is good. Good luck fellows...

Hey DeCaff....

You are 22. Going to school. Living with, and off of, Mum & Dad. Mum has an MDX, Dad has an E. They were going to get you a C but decided against it, they saved a few bucks and got you, and your brother a TL.

IT IS A NICE HAPPY LIFE YOU GOT. YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF WHAT YOUR FATHER HAS PROVIDED YOU WITH!!! WHY ARE YOU ACTING THIS WAY - I MEAN PRETENDING AND ALL THAT?

BTW. I've seen pictures of the E, and I can believe your Daddy has an E, but the rest....... not sure, it might be B.S. as well.

Ed.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
You guys paid a price for name.
I'm guilty of that for everything, from clothing, to watches, to cars. I just want the brand names
Old 03-29-2005, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

The RSX bunch is the same way. ENJOY YOUR ****ING ACCORDS!
Old 03-30-2005, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by mick1
RL is bigger and more expensive (top of the acura line up for sedans) and They are talking about the TL.
Doesn't matter. Its the same ****. Everything besides the RSX and NSX is derrived from an Accord. Slightly different content, new graphics on the wrapper.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:29 PM

2005 Obsidian Black C230 Komp Sports Sedan, 2006 Iridium Silver ML350 SUV
so i was suprised.
while this 04-05(3rd gen TL) was going next to me, wants to play, and a few red lights came up, we both rolled down the windows, (i knew the car has like a 3.2V6 dunon how many hp) and i was like no way man, you're cars faster. and he was like. lets try it!
so i turn off traction control, rev the engine a little bit, pop the gear into 1(s-mode) and let it shift by itself,,,
we went from 0-60, i hear his front wheels tripped a bit.(i always thought itsRWD) and there we go, side by side till 60mph. (hes an automatic as well)
it does feel like at the end hes pulling a little bit. but we both let off ater 60mph. it was a good run.
and i was just checking out the spec. man. that car does not feel like it has 270hp.....

oh btw. my temp reader says its 78`F... imanging if its colder... i might be able to pull...MAYBE....
Old 04-20-2006, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Bleh

Yeah, I know this thread is old, but who cares.....

I used to have a 2001 Honda Accord, and I have to admit, it was extremely reliable. Even though the engine was pretty weak, and it needed at least a 5 speed tranny, it was a pretty fun car to drive.

Then a 2004 G500 rear ended me going about 30............

After seeing the damage done to my Accord, I really didn't want to be in another Honda/Acura that can't seem to hold its structural strength from a "mere" 30mph collision. My dealer's collision bodyshop said there was a small frame fracture in the rear passenger side, but he said he could still "fix her up as good as new". No thanks.

I've seen Benz's that were hit at faster speeds that looked better than my now dead Accord. After the accident, I just seriously questioned Honda/Acuras about their safety and build materials, and decided to go with a company that, in my opinion, built more solid, safer cars.

So ironically, thanks to the guy in the GWagen that totaled my Accord, I bought a 2006 C230 SS, and it's been nothing short of spectacular. Granted, the discussion was about a TL, not an Accord, but eh......Honda's and Acura's are all basically the same to me now. In Japan, they don't even have Acura's........all "Acura"'s there are all badged with Honda emblems anyways, so it doesn't make much difference to me.

In the end it's all a matter of personal preference, IMHO. And it's IMHO that Honda's build their cars from what seems like cardboard metal. I'm only too glad I did not have any friends sitting in the back, otherwise they'd be hospitalized.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Cool

i find this thread funny, esp. after reading what this guy wrote above. why is it funny? well, he made reference to a "totem pole" and this is seriously only the second time i have ever heard someone using it to reference "class". the first time ever was only a week ago by someone who pays my bills, nope not my mommy or daddy, but my boss! and he too drives 3 cars (911 turbo, 05 X5, and a 05 range rover and soon 06 BMW M5). the only difference? he does own those cars and he earned it unlike our littel friend here.

anyway, back to the subject at hand. i have a friend who has a 06 TL and i've driven it. not a bad car, i didnt get to go crazy on it so i cant compare the speed. but just from the specs alone it is much faster, so what? LOL. the interior is not too kind on the eyes (IMO), exterior is decent for a japanese car. with that said, when i bought my C, the TL wasnt even considered.

happy driving mr.TL!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test Drive of 05 Acura TL, NO big whoop!