C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Test Drive of 05 Acura TL, NO big whoop!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 GLC 300 Coupe'
Test Drive of 05 Acura TL, NO big whoop!

Waiting for my deal to close on my used C320 I wasted a morning and test drove a new TL. Even a used C320 with 39K miles was more comfortable and held the road better. I also can not figure out where they hide all of the 270 hp on the Acura. The 320 with 215 hp performs just as good and winds up less. The TL bounces and jiggles around more than my previous 00 C230K with Eibach Sport springs and Koni Adj Shocks. Yea it is newer and nice inside and the bluetooth rocks but... Gadgets are just that. The heart of the MB in my opinion is still there and it shows. How the heck the car rags placed MB 5th and the Acura 2nd is beyond me.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've driven my friend's New TL a lot recently and can say that it's definately an AWESOME car. It's a good blend of performance and luxury imho. I drive a C240 so I don't have much power. Maybe if i drove a 320 i'd more readily support the C-class but I really like the TL. Only problem is that its exterior can't compare with a Benz and the name Benz>Acura.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:17 AM

2005 C320 -Sports package - black / black
I considered the new TL when looking for my new car. I also agree with the handling of the car, It just takes bumps differently and I hate front wheel drive. So for me the Benz was the best choice. It is a very nice car, I like the front, looks mean

Old 03-27-2005, 06:07 AM

w203 coupe 05
i belive the 270 hp comes out at high rpm. so u really gotta rev it up.
but for 30 grand, a front wheel drive just dont go my way.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally Posted by jmel777
I also can not figure out where they hide all of the 270 hp on the Acura. The 320 with 215 hp performs just as good and winds up less.
C&D got 5.8 secs 0-60 with a manual version. It doesn't look like they're hiding anything to me. Unless the slushbox saps away a lot of the engine's potential.

You should have been able to notice a substantial difference in acceleration between the two cars, unless you had already convinced yourself of which car you wanted to feel faster before you drove them.

I don't like the car much either, but I don't think that the engine is the problem.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
New TL is a torque steer pig. Looks like a constipated Accord.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:10 PM

'16 528i MSport
Love my TL....

I was struggling to convince my parents on the C230/C320 Kompressor until we stopped by an Acura dealer and drove the TL. My father was so impressed and was like you can get a car as long as its this one. I ripped a C320 with no problems, look at my kill story, and the TL totally dominates the C230/C320 and love this car to death..

So glad not to make the decision for the C230/C320 Kompressor..saved money on it too...
Old 03-27-2005, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Originally Posted by DaCeptak0n
C230/C320 Kompressor
320 Kompressor?
Enjoy your powerful FWD Honda :v
Old 03-27-2005, 08:12 PM
Banned

Missing my beloved Benz
I didn't like how my local Acura dealership doesn't allow buyers to test drive cars. You have to take their demo car out and order it. They have one demo car and you really can't judge the car you will buy from just driving the demo car. Every car feels different.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:28 PM

2001 ML320 E, 2003 C230K Sport Sedan
I was struggling to convince my parents on the C230/C320 Kompressor until we stopped by an Acura dealer and drove the TL. My father was so impressed and was like you can get a car as long as its this one. I ripped a C320 with no problems, look at my kill story, and the TL totally dominates the C230/C320 and love this car to death..

So glad not to make the decision for the C230/C320 Kompressor..saved money on it too...

Problem is the TL is such a POS by comparison.
1) FWD ... POS.
2) No belly pan?
3) Bumper paint doesn't match the rest of the cat - poor quality!
4) All the door gaskets/rubbers are **** compared to the Mercs!
5) What the hell is the storey on that shi**y gas door opener thing.
6) etc, etc.

What do you call that? Not Quality - that's for sure.

You gotta realize that the Merc is a solid platform, with the fiber optics, main computers that track window positions, seat positions, occupancy, etc, etc, not like the Accord, which is made up of a bag of bits and pieces from other much cheeper vehicles. Just look at all the Glued on plastic bits. The back doors don't even match the contour of the glued on crap.

It's built much more like a well outfitted Pontiac (especially with the plastic sh*t), and should be compared with such! Say a G6?

Ed.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:49 PM
Guest0001

I love the navi in the TL but thats about it. I never drove one, but I assume the drive would be as exciting as its exterior looks.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:43 PM

'16 528i MSport
The quality in the TL is unmatched by a C-class. Maybe you need to compare an 05 Tl where all the glithces witht he 04 are a rare occasion, if not competely eliminated. Even so, I've had E-class owners come up to me during work to take it for a ride and came back with smiles.

The power is unmatched by a C-Class, except C55 and C32, all of you guys got that ride for sure, hands down! TL with A-Spec is at the level of exterior looks with the C55/C32.

Bumper paint doesn't match the rest of the car, since when? My entire car is one gorgeous color. The interior leather, thas right standard leather, is ten times more supple than some inserts....
Old 03-27-2005, 09:45 PM

'16 528i MSport
But you know what, this back and forth friendly discourse can go on and on so I'll just drive my beauty with my chin up and you can drives yours in the same fashion.

Lets face it, actually you more than myself, that we have beautiful cars and I now realize that its really ridiculous to compare a C-class to a TL, or vice-versa, as they are on different levels, nonetheless, a Benz to an Acura is in similar statures....

Congrats on your nice ride and I pat my own back for making a wise decision..

Cheers...
Old 03-27-2005, 10:00 PM

I test drove it also (Also testd the Legacy, 3 series, A4, IS300, S60, 9-5, etc)

I can't stand FWD anymore. When flooring it from a light and you want to turn laft let's say, there is torque steer, then the electronics gets it and cuts everything. I really don't like the feel of FWD.

Also, I hated how it handled the highway when you floor it.. it gets down one gear, then realizes you still want to gun so it goes down another gear... on the MB you have the magic switch so when you floor it it guns right way (afte rthe one second lag)

But the car is nice, good styling (altough japanese styling), ood interior, cheap for all what you have and good sound system...

Etienne
Old 03-27-2005, 11:04 PM

The quality in the TL is unmatched by a C-class. Maybe you need to compare an 05 Tl where all the glithces witht he 04 are a rare occasion, if not competely eliminated. Even so, I've had E-class owners come up to me during work to take it for a ride and came back with smiles.

The power is unmatched by a C-Class, except C55 and C32, all of you guys got that ride for sure, hands down! TL with A-Spec is at the level of exterior looks with the C55/C32.

Bumper paint doesn't match the rest of the car, since when? My entire car is one gorgeous color. The interior leather, thas right standard leather, is ten times more supple than some inserts....

Oh come off it....what planet are you from? I drove that junkey, rattley, POS TL......The one with the tin foil doors, the excessive roadnoise, the lack of airbags.

I wouldn't let my kids ride in that junk.

Did you know they stuffed styrofoam in the front fenders to try to meet the crash standards. That's the reason why they shapped the fenders that way. (Now when they service your car, you are going to get it back with screwed up fenders)

There is just far to many stupid issues with the TL, It is definately not up to any Merc. standards.

Doesn't it **** you off that they forgot to put a trunk latch on it....can't open the trunk from the outside without the keyfob. The Gas door lid opener is the same lever as on my wife's Sunfire!!! What kind of basic screw you sh*t is that? How can you, or anyone that knows better, put up with the cheapy crappiness of the TL?

ACURA have saved on everything they could with the TL, and in place of a good solid car, given you junk with a bigger engine!!.

IMHO

Ed.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
The quality in the TL is unmatched by a C-class. Maybe you need to compare an 05 Tl where all the glithces witht he 04 are a rare occasion, if not competely eliminated.
Its bad to start out making excuses. Is your car an automatic? The Honda automatics have a habit of dying at 60K. That's why there's an official extension to the warranty of the older cars.

The power is unmatched by a C-Class, except C55 and C32, all of you guys got that ride for sure, hands down!
C350 has 2HP less. Sounds like a match to me. And where's the Hypo versions of the TL? Oh, right, the TL is the hypo version of the Accord.

TL with A-Spec is at the level of exterior looks with the C55/C32.
HahahahhaHAHAHA AHHAAHAHHAH! Not even close. Here's the facts...Honda is so unconcerned about the car's styling they instantly respond to any complaints about the banality of the design with "we don't do styling". And its true. Every Honda sedan is the same sausage...just different lengths. Honda makes good engines...they have a commendable record for reliability and practicality. THey are unfortunately, dull and rather uninteresting cars, no matter how much HP the engine's make.

Hey, enjoy your ride. Just don't expect us to think its cool.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
You gotta realize that the Merc is a solid platform, with the fiber optics, main computers that track window positions, seat positions, occupancy, etc, etc, not like the Accord, which is made up of a bag of bits and pieces from other much cheeper vehicles. Just look at all the Glued on plastic bits. The back doors don't even match the contour of the glued on crap.
This is the funniest thing I've EVER heard! You know what the number 1 problem/complaint with new Mercedes are!? THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS! Mercedes quality has gone so far down hill it's just not even funny. Look at the FACTS and you can plainly see that no matter how much you diss on the Acura, it's still better quality than a Mercedes. This is INCREDIBLY sad considering QUALITY is what Mercedes built it's rep on.

That being said. I've driven the new C-class, I actually like it and think it's a BEAUTIFUL car (especially the Sport editions). Bottom line is between the Acura and the Mercedes, it's all PREFERENCE! Some people like a stiffer ride. With a stiffer ride comes rattles, all cars with stiff chassis have them NO EXCEPTIONS! Some may just take more age than others to show it. A lot of the the basis for the arguments in this thread are utter BS!
Old 03-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Guest0001

Originally Posted by davis449
This is the funniest thing I've EVER heard! You know what the number 1 problem/complaint with new Mercedes are!? THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS! Mercedes quality has gone so far down hill it's just not even funny. Look at the FACTS and you can plainly see that no matter how much you diss on the Acura, it's still better quality than a Mercedes. This is INCREDIBLY sad considering QUALITY is what Mercedes built it's rep on.
Davis449 is right. The electronic system is not the most stable system in our cars, so fasteddie I dont understand how you can make your statement. If you are saying "solid platform" in terms of structural rigidity then I would agree with you.

Anyways, we have had a 23 page discussion on this subject so lets let this one die. https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/75011-05-c230-sedan-acura-tl.html

Last edited by Guest0001; 03-28-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The quality in the TL is unmatched by a C-class.

WHY ON EARTH would a "senior member" of MBworld come to this forum to praise his Honda and trash our C's?!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:15 PM

'16 528i MSport
Face it dude, I am not here to bash any C-class owners. You made your decision and I made my wise one.

THere are other discussions so let this one die? I agree!...

Cheers mates
Old 03-28-2005, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Face it dude, I am not here to bash any C-class owners. You made your decision and I made my wise one.

Cheers mates
See! There it is! You're insinuating that buying a C class isn't "wise". It's no biggie though. I've said the same thing to people that spend $50K on a CLK320
Did your Honda come with a matching lawnmower?
Anyway, if you want this thread to die, why do you keep posting
Old 03-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Guest0001

Cheers mates
You're a jackass.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Imperial C320
Davis449 is right. The electronic system is not the most stable system in our cars, so fasteddie I dont understand how you can make your statement. If you are saying "solid platform" in terms of structural rigidity then I would agree with you.

Anyways, we have had a 23 page discussion on this subject so lets let this one die. https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75011
BullSh**........

Maybe you guys need get rid of your crappy Mercs and get yourselves a nice new Honda!!!!

Personally, My Mercs have been the best vehicles I could have asked for!!! And, I like the fact that they don't have a ****ty little cable release for the gascap.

Serious .... not 1 problem on either the ML or the C!!!! (Actually the ML had a Dashbulb replaced and the C a Horn replaced - is that the unstable electrical systems you were talking about?)

You have no appreciation for quality. Who is running around in a 1995 C class? Is it ready for the scrap heap? Let's see a picture. Probably original trans as well! How does it drive?

Any idea if anyone still has a 1995 Acura...what does it look like?

Ed.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:48 PM

whats the difference between the TL & RL???...dont know which 1 you guys are talking about looks like
Old 03-28-2005, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just noticed the TL is built in Ohio

Last edited by Jim Banville; 03-28-2005 at 09:17 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test Drive of 05 Acura TL, NO big whoop!