C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

5 stars from EURO NCAP!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 02:17 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 Kompressor
Thumbs up 5 stars from EURO NCAP!!!

Breaking news!

The C-class has achieved five stars from the EURO NCAP crash tests. It is the second car ever that got five stars.

Check out:

http://www.euroncap.com/results.htm
Old 06-25-2002, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
And the award was presented by none other than Michael Schumacher! Ironic, huh? MS Awarding a Merc. I guess David Coulthard will present the Ferrari FX with a Best Exotic award.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Actually, MS started his pro racing career with Mercedes.

In the late eightes Mercedes begun a driver program with the purpose of getting a German driver into F1 (there hadn't been one since Stefan Bellof was killed driving a Porsche 956). The program provided personal sponsorship for young German drivers. After promising results he landed a drive with the LeMans racing Sauber-Mercedes sportscar team.

The rest as they say is history.

Cheers, BT
Old 06-25-2002, 05:30 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
It's amazing how they categorize the C-Class, 3-series, Accord, X-type, etc., as LARGE FAMILY CARS in Europe. My old Ford Probe GT is 2-inches longer than my C320.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:28 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Yeah, but we are not really used to the american sized family cars here, f.e. the Chevy Caprices are considered enormous! You must have big parking spaces in US
Old 06-25-2002, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Wow, rated even better than the E-Class.

The other car rated 5 stars was the Renault Laguna.
Old 06-25-2002, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
bizarre NCAP revisionism

Well, it SOUNDS good to see the C Class getting a fifth EuroNCAP star, but...

The car was tested last year and was rated at four stars - pretty good, and a very high 4 star rating if you look at the numerical/percentage rankings.

So now the EuroNCAP say they've revised the scoring system to give points on the final score for information on the safety devices - something the C Class has - and surprise, surprise, the C now gets its elusive 5 th star. Read the "New" test result for the C Class and then look at the same car's test from a year ago. It has the same crash performance scores, but by virtue of some new "idiot labels" in the cabin, it gets two bonus points to bring it up to the five star level. SHAME! The EuroNCAP used to be all about crash performance, not safety labels.

I smell a rat here. I wonder just who convinced EuroNCAP to do this? Now all the carmakers will fit idiot labels and get two bonus points too.

If the car had been re-tested, following production enhancements, resulting in improved numerical scores, I could say the fifth star was merited. But the re-jigging of the 5th star scoring criteria is inexcusable.

Luckily, the EuroNCAP still lists the individual scores for frontal and side impact collision tests (I wonder if/when these will be supressed), so potential buyers who want to know about actual crash performance can "get behind the stars"

If you want to see the safest car according to the EuroNCAP tests, look at the scores for the Renault Laguna, 2001 model. Its numerical ranking is above the C Class on all counts.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:03 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Re: bizarre NCAP revisionism

Originally posted by Mike T.

So now the EuroNCAP say they've revised the scoring system to give points on the final score for information on the safety devices - something the C Class has - and surprise, surprise, the C now gets its elusive 5 th star. Read the "New" test result for the C Class and then look at the same car's test from a year ago. It has the same crash performance scores, but by virtue of some new "idiot labels" in the cabin, it gets two bonus points to bring it up to the five star level. SHAME! The EuroNCAP used to be all about crash performance, not safety labels.
Hmmm, mainly the fifth star was added because of the seat-belt reminder, which I think is a very different thing than "idiot labels". I definitely think this is a very good safety feature and as such, it should be weighted into the total safety meassure.

I smell a rat here. I wonder just who convinced EuroNCAP to do this?
My guess goes to Volvo and Saab (and maybe Mercedes as well).

If the car had been re-tested, following production enhancements, resulting in improved numerical scores, I could say the fifth star was merited. But the re-jigging of the 5th star scoring criteria is inexcusable.
It's the same for every car manufacturer. Look f.e. at Volvo S60, which has a reputation as a safe car. It also has a seat-belt reminder but raising it's final score with two points won't help a thing. Still a four star car. Same argument is valid for the BMW 3-series.

Luckily, the EuroNCAP still lists the individual scores for frontal and side impact collision tests (I wonder if/when these will be supressed), so potential buyers who want to know about actual crash performance can "get behind the stars"
They will probably never supress these numbers.

If you want to see the safest car according to the EuroNCAP tests, look at the scores for the Renault Laguna, 2001 model. Its numerical ranking is above the C Class on all counts.
Yepp. The Laguna is probably an even more safe five-star car.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: bizarre NCAP revisionism

Originally posted by DtS
Hmmm, mainly the fifth star was added because of the seat-belt reminder, which I think is a very different thing than "idiot labels". I definitely think this is a very good safety feature and as such, it should be weighted into the total safety meassure.
Well, I assumed the "seat belt reminder" was a label; maybe it's like the device that's been fitted to North American market cars since 1969 - an illuminated seat belt symbol on the dash and an audible reminder.

Just how useful this is in Europe, where the seat belt usage rate is already over 99% in most countries, remains a real question. To grant two points for having this device is unbelievable!

EuroNCAP assessment used to be only about crash performance, not peripheral stuff like how well hassled the driver is by warning/reminder devices in everyday driving.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:17 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
I have to question this entire rating system, actually. If you subtract the 2 pts for the seatbelt reminder, the 2001 C-Class returns to four stars, where it's equal to the 2001 3-Series BMW. However, the crash studies paint a huge difference between the 3 and the C... calling into question why the BMW deserves a 4 rating.

Here's the C-Class...
Old 06-26-2002, 11:18 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
...and here's the Bimmer... Quite a difference. I guess if I have to surrender my clutch leg this way in a BMW, I don't have to worry about choosing a manual over automatic in my next Bimmer!

(sure wish you could attach multiple images per post...)

Last edited by MB-BOB; 06-26-2002 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-26-2002, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Here is what autoexpress.co.uk posted in their news...

The three-pointed star has made a five-star point! The Mercedes C-Class has become only the second car ever to get a maximum score in the Euro NCAP crash tests, and joins Renault's Laguna at the top of the safety pile.

The C-Class was examined last year, when it achieved a four-star rating. But a change in the way vehicles are scored, coupled with the addition of a system which warns passengers to buckle up when they get in the car, has now led to the prestigious five-star honour.

Max Mosley, Euro NCAP chairman, said: "I'm delighted the C-Class has become our second five-star car, and I feel confident many more manufacturers will now rise to the challenge." Experts rated the car highly in most areas, and praised the protection it gave passengers, particularly around the front footwells.

There were other encouraging scores in the latest round of testing – the 10th since Euro NCAP started in 1996. And for the first time engineers have investigated sports cars and off-roaders – see separate story. Other models assessed included the Audi A2, MINI, Vauxhall Corsa and VW Polo, which were all four-star performers. The same points were given to the Jaguar X-Type, Ford Mondeo and Vauxhall's new Vectra. Only the Proton Impian proved disappointing, with a three-star showing. But it's not all good news. There's still concern over pedestrian safety, with NCAP no-ting that there's huge potential for improvement. Only the Honda CR-V was singled out as offering good protection, joining its Civic stablemate in getting three stars in this aspect of the test. All the other cars scored only one point in the pedestrian protection section.

Martin Sharp
Old 06-26-2002, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice spin, Mr. Mosely, but...

...the fact remains that the test protocols and the C Class results in the crash tests remain the same, but the scoring system was altered to give bonus points for a non-passive safety item. This is just weird!

So the C is now a five star EuroNCAP car, but there should be an asterisk next to that rating, reminding everyone of how the 5th star was -- er -- obtained.

I also think the star rating itself is crazy - they should dispense with it as it's relatively meaningless, and just publish the frontal offset and side impact scores as a percentage.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:01 AM

C230 K
just enjoy

ah... Just enjoy your cas safetiness. I'm sure the pro has more knowledge than us. I mean, if they think that it's important, than maybe it is.