C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

slotted rotors and brake pads?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 C240
slotted rotors and brake pads?!

i'm looking around for rotors and pads... however i'm not interested in spending over $1000... anybody got any ideas for brandnames of anywhere else i can find some for a decent price.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Why would you want slotted rotors?

All they do is 'sand' down the pads faster and have a potential of warping because of weakness due to slotting? Plus they'll make your wheels look black in a bout a minute!

If you're looking for warp resistance-get factory rotors and have they cryo treated. Worked for me (after going through 4 sets on my M3).

Peet
Old 07-02-2002, 11:13 PM

2001 C240
thanx for the advice... but i like how slotted looks... i'm hardheaded... lol
Old 07-02-2002, 11:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 C240/6
Buying brake discs . . . for looks?!?!?
Old 07-03-2002, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh come on SoCal, you got the Porterfields for looks, no dust!

Call Geoff at SpeedToys.com and he'll set you up with a great price on Porterfield R4-S pads and their cryo treated cross drilled disc rotors. Get drilled, they look way cooler and stand out more than slotted. You can call Porterfield and order direct but you'll pay more.

http://www.speedtoys.com/

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/
Old 07-03-2002, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i
get cross drilled instead
Old 07-03-2002, 12:40 AM

2001 C240
thanks guys!!!
Old 07-03-2002, 09:30 AM

2001 C240 6spd
Any difference between cross drilled alone vs slotted alone vs combo cross drilled/slotted. Benefits and disadvantages? You read alot of different things...one is better, the other is better...what do you guys thinks after using the rotors you chose? Thanks.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
Drilling rotors in the aftermarket can easily lead to microfractures which can lead to catastrophic failure.

Drilled rotors help decrease the cool-down period on the rotor which theoretically should help prevent brake fade.

Over on the Porsche side of the world, the thought is NOT to get drilled rotors unless they are Porsche factory (or Brembo factory or whatever) - they use a special process during manufacture.

Slotted rotors prevent this. Their main purpose is to slough off the thin water film between the rotor and the pad in the rain,
and the gas and brake pad particle film when the brakes are applied.

I don't know if it really matters so much if you don't race the car, though.

They will increase brake pad wear. In the "real" world the only thing they probably do is look good.

But after all that, I am GLAD my C32 has drilled rotors, they are SO cool!

Old 07-03-2002, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
I had slotted rotors on my Camaro and it didnt decrease brake pad wear much. But it did keep the rotors much much cooler. Although it didnt look as cool as cross-drilled they worked fine for me.
Old 07-03-2002, 12:28 PM

C240/6 Megma Red
Talking

I also love the look of the cross drilled rotor. I saw most of the Porsche x-drilled rotor for road racing are crack. The crack is a hairline between the hole. I have x-drilled and slot rotors on my Talon Turbo more than 5 years and it never crack. Trust me I drive it hard auto-x, hill climb. On MB I don't think you can it that hard. But it did warp twice in 5 years which I took it to the shop have they machine it out $15 total. I also change to semi-metallic pad so I can't tell how much it help just for the rotor alone. My pad last about 20K-25K miles.

Soon to change the pad on my C240, sick of the break dust (happy ).

Last edited by zpeed; 07-06-2002 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:00 PM

C32 AMG
If you want looks, go with the cross-drilled. Looks better than slotted. I'm planning to upgrade my rear rotors (for looks). Wonder why AMG didn't use cross-drilled rotors for the rear brakes too? Check out the Brembo's. That's what i'm looking at. They even offer different color calipers.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by Boo2
Wonder why AMG didn't use cross-drilled rotors for the rear brakes too?
Probably because on a street car there is little performace gain from having drilled rears. The fronts provide most of the stopping power. Although, one could make an argument for having drilled rears being to match the fronts for aesthetic purposes.

Cheers, BT
Old 07-03-2002, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by zpeed
Soon to change the pad on my C240, sick of the break dusk.
You can break rotors, break calipers and even break wind and breakfast at dawn, but you can't break dusk
Old 07-03-2002, 06:57 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
Originally posted by Buellwinkle

You can break rotors, break calipers and even break wind and breakfast at dawn, but you can't break dusk
best reply of the year!
Old 07-03-2002, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
One more thought on the cross drilled... if you don't keep the holes clean (they do collect dust) then it defeats the purpose and can help cause the microfractures.

If you seriously want to spend money on getting cool looking brakes, don't bother with the $1000 for plain rotors and pads... go for a big brake kit. Something like a brembo 4 cylinder, or even Porsche's kit (although made by brembo it is superior to what Brembo sells). It'll set you back more like $2500, but your car will look awesome (guranteed) and stop so hard your fillings will be on the hood of your car every time!

Have fun.
P
Old 07-04-2002, 12:30 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by peet
...or even Porsche's kit (although made by brembo it is superior to what Brembo sells). It'll set you back more like $2500, but your car will look awesome (guranteed) and stop so hard your fillings will be on the hood of your car every time!
P
The Porsche brakes are the best out there!!!
Old 07-05-2002, 02:28 AM

2002 C230K
is it possible to get mercedes cross-drilled rotors? like the ones they put on the new SL (maybe not that size, but i mean i know they have 'em). anybody know if they can be ordered for the coupe?
Old 07-05-2002, 01:04 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Originally posted by peet
One more thought on the cross drilled... if you don't keep the holes clean (they do collect dust) then it defeats the purpose and can help cause the microfractures.

If you seriously want to spend money on getting cool looking brakes, don't bother with the $1000 for plain rotors and pads... go for a big brake kit. Something like a brembo 4 cylinder, or even Porsche's kit (although made by brembo it is superior to what Brembo sells). It'll set you back more like $2500, but your car will look awesome (guranteed) and stop so hard your fillings will be on the hood of your car every time!

Have fun.
P
That is so wrong.

If you change just the brakes, your car will not stop an inch shorter than it does with the stock brakes.

The stock brakes are more than strong enough to activate the ABS. Once the ABS is activated, the car will stop in the shortest distance that the grip of the tires will allow. Period, end of story. Putting larger brakes on will do NOTHING for a street car (esp. on a car that has Brake Assist and ABS).

Larger brakes are only necessary on a track car, where the stock brakes would have a possibility of getting overheated. You will NEVER overheat the brakes in street driving.

So, if you want to spend a lot of money for cosmetic reasons (which seems very ricey to me, but what the heck), go ahead. Just don't expect any performance gain on a street car.
Old 07-05-2002, 02:02 PM

2002 c230k

The Porsche brakes are the best out there!!!
One of the greatest reasons for Porsche brakes working so well is that the weight distribution of the car is rear biased. Any car that is heavier in the rear has an advantage when it comes to stopping.

SoCal is right when he says that you will not stop any faster with bigger brakes. If the ABS kicks in you are at the limit of adhesion, bigger brakes won't increase it, wider tires will. The only place bigger or drilled rotors will help is in the fade department. On the street you wont be able to get to the point where fade is a major factor.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
SoCal is completely correct. Take the new Mini, for example. It has just slightly smaller rotors than the C230 but stops in over 140 feet with 185 series tires, where as the C230 stops in around 125 feet with 205 series tires. I also remember a long-term test report in a magazine which reported a 20 foot decrease in stopping from 70 after changing to S-03 tires from some other lesser tire.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:28 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by SoCal240/6

So, if you want to spend a lot of money for cosmetic reasons (which seems very ricey to me, but what the heck), go ahead. Just don't expect any performance gain on a street car.
So lowering your car, adding bigger wheels, etc. is ricey? A big part of buying these things are for cosmetic reasons. It's not a waste of money; we are only talking about brakes, not big engine mods. I have the same ABS system that you have, and beyond the physics of everything I would like to think that my stock 13.5" cross-drilled floating rotors will stop shorter than your car if it had the same staggered wheel configuration. If not, then at least it looks good.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:51 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
A big part of buying these things are for cosmetic reasons.
Exactly! If I like the looks of the car the way it was designed, I consider buying it. I would never consider buying any car thinking I can improve the looks. If I felt that the looks needed improvement, I would simply buy ANOTHER car that better fits my individual perception of good looks.

I would never buy a Pontiac Aztek, thinking that I could turn it into something it's not with some cool, 19" wheels, $3K brakes and a rear wing that no self-respecting airplane would have. At the end of the day it would still look like what it is... a Pontiac Aztek... the ugliest car on the road.

I hope you guys are not max-ing out your credit cards to turn these $30K MBs into $50K Honda wannabees.

Boo2, last time I looked at a C32 AMG, it already comes with cross-drilled rotors that pretty much filled the wheels provided with the car. So who else (other than you) would know that you replaced your stock cross-drilled rotors with some other cross-drilled rotors? What cosmetic purpose is served?

Last edited by MB-BOB; 07-05-2002 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-05-2002, 04:32 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Boo2, last time I looked at a C32 AMG, it already comes with cross-drilled rotors that pretty much filled the wheels provided with the car. So who else (other than you) would know that you replaced your stock cross-drilled rotors with some other cross-drilled rotors? What cosmetic purpose is served?
Only the front brakes are cross-drilled floating rotors, the rear only has 11.5" floating rotors. I'm very partial to symmetry and kinda want the look both in front and rear. I just want to change the rear brakes.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MB-BOB
I hope you guys are not max-ing out your credit cards to turn these $30K MBs into $50K Honda wannabees.[/QUOTE

I guess how much you spend on your car depends on how much your car is worth. Not many people make fun of you spending $7k on wheel/suspension upgrades on a $60k car as opposed to spending the same amount on a $15k car.
Old 07-05-2002, 04:42 PM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
buy it cause you like what you see...

not what you can turn it into. If you dont like the look, look elsewhere. There are so many varied looking cars out there now that you can find one with cross drilled rotors and wings and what ever else you want. but get it cause you like what you see. You can spend endless amounts of money only to destroy the resale value. Many mods actually decrease value contrary to what many may think. Unless you sell your car to another auto enthusiast who appreciates these mods (and the headache to fix them down the road) then no one else will want it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: slotted rotors and brake pads?!