C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Replacing my WRX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing my WRX

Within the next year I would like to replace my WRX with a new car. Having testdrove a C240, 325xi, and A4 last year I became addicted to the feel of German engineering. Unfortanately I could not afford one at the time, so I settled on the WRX. Within the next year though I should have both the funds, and the credit history to make it happen. I am not concerend about the power/speed loss, as I enjoy the driving more than I do aquiring speeding tickets/reckless endangerment.

I would like to hear from Benz owners here as to how they feel about their cars, would they buy again, reliabilty, dependability, etc. I would prefer a rwd car as I believe with proper snow tires and cautious driving I should be able to get around Alaska just fine.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-20-2005, 01:11 PM

bike
Originally Posted by FrostyAK
Within the next year I would like to replace my WRX with a new car. Having testdrove a C240, 325xi, and A4 last year I became addicted to the feel of German engineering. Unfortanately I could not afford one at the time, so I settled on the WRX. Within the next year though I should have both the funds, and the credit history to make it happen. I am not concerend about the power/speed loss, as I enjoy the driving more than I do aquiring speeding tickets/reckless endangerment.

I would like to hear from Benz owners here as to how they feel about their cars, would they buy again, reliabilty, dependability, etc. I would prefer a rwd car as I believe with proper snow tires and cautious driving I should be able to get around Alaska just fine.

Thanks,
Chris
If you getting New, do not get C class cuz new models are on its way. BMW are a lil expensive for an entry-level sedan. I like the A4 Quattro and also the A3 Quattro 3.0 should be here by next year. I might trade in my C for the A3 Quattro, just my opinion.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:31 PM

01' CLK 320
Once you start driving a German car, you won't want to drive the others. The engineering and design are superb; you will start asking yourself, "why are Germans so smart and intelligent?". They are rock-solid; just close the door and listen to it and you will understand what I am talking about.

Reliability is not a big concern for me coz there is no perfect car out there. Of course I will buy again.

BMW is good value as long as you don't choose any packages or options..... the price of the package is outrageous.

Audi is also nice and you may find it more useful in Alaska coz they are AWD.

Last edited by patrick39; 07-20-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by FrostyAK

Thanks,
Chris
This is my 2nd C class. My 1st was a 2001 c320. I got a lot of tickets because it was a fun car to drive. I now have a C230k. Im more into the looks of the car then the power. This is my daily driver. Maybe i will get something with more power in the future but im happy with my current C. I love it Would i buy again? I did and will again...
Old 07-20-2005, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
all three of the automakers your looking at offer AWD versions as well.

MB = 4MATIC
BMW = xi
Audi = Quattro
Old 07-20-2005, 06:53 PM

08' BMW E92 Coupe
i say go for the BMW 325i with manual tranny. if your looking for a car with decent performance and nice handling, that's your best bet
Old 07-20-2005, 09:58 PM

'05 C230WZ / '01 Honda VFR 800
Don't replace WRX yet.

"I should have both the funds, and the credit history to make it happen."

Chris- A few things to think about:
If you have to work to get the funds and the credit history to make this happen maybe you should wait a little bit until it isn't such a stretch. You'll enjoy the car more and you won't worry about it so much.

In addition, since you are in Alaska, a Subaru might be the best choice for power, reliability and most important utility. Run your WRX for a while, let the depreciation curve soften and invest in a house or your career. Wait until you're ready there will always be time for a Mercedes down the road. We have a Subaru in addition to our Benz and as much has I like the Benz if we had to choose one- the Suby would stay.

Good luck!
Old 07-21-2005, 01:48 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
since it's a MB there's not much reliability of late. But not all the people have problems with their car, some are just more picky than others. My car has been good to me. There were the electronic glitches, but it was fixed from the visit to the dealership and because these problems are fairly common it was fixed very fast.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:50 AM

2005 C320 -Sports package - black / black
Originally Posted by skahung
If you getting New, do not get C class cuz new models are on its way. BMW are a lil expensive for an entry-level sedan. I like the A4 Quattro and also the A3 Quattro 3.0 should be here by next year. I might trade in my C for the A3 Quattro, just my opinion.

I agree, you should never get the first year of a car.....but with that said then all of these cars are no good.... BMW just released theirs.....Audi released the new A4 in the beginning of the year, and MB is ready to release theirs.

So I say at least wait a year or two to let them get all the bugs out. If you can't wait I would go for the MB because they only changed the engine and transmission, which they have had in other cars earlier in the year. As supposed to BMW or Audi which have all new for the first time. Just my two cents.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:11 PM
Almost a Member!

I chose MB C230 SS with my wife as the main driver because of value, safety rating, and style along and probably the name(but my wife would not admit to that). Performance, fun to drive, and handling were not our priority, at least with my wife. We have 5 cars all together; 2005 Odyssey EX-L Nav, 2004.5 C230SS, 2004 RX8, 2001 Audi A6 2.7 6 sp(will be gone soon), and 1999 Boxter. So other than the van, the C230 would be my last choice for driving around.
Compare Benz in general with other German makers, it's probably the least involve to drive especially if you are coming from a WRX. I love Audi's turbo engine and interior (as I am sure you know how enjoyable when turbo kicks in especially in low end rpm like Audis) and how BMW tune its suspension (supple and responsive at the same time). I would have waited for the 2.0 A4 or the new 330 instead settle on the C230. But that is not to say C230 doesn't have a oz. of good quality. It is the most comfortable cruising down the highway(tie with the A6) and the most economical (ave 23mpg) while not very nimble it has very high grip thanks to stock Pilot by Michelin and looks great in stock form.
I am taking steps to improve this car as well since my wife will be driving the van more and I getting rid of the A6. I currently have 19 BBS on and looking to have coilover and exhaust on as that would surely improve the sporty side of the car. And again I must mention the value of C230, out of the door for less than 32k with auto tranny, 6cd, sunroof; that is the main reason I agree to buy it at the time (but now with 2.0 A4 Sport package FWD so reasoably price and the potential for modifying and turbocharge Audi is so much more appealing to me). Nevertheless, this car presents the strongest value at the time of purchase.

Last edited by lewisliaw; 07-22-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Buy again/reliability/dependability

I love the way the car drives/rides. Not sure if I'll buy a Benz again though due to quality concerns. Reliabiity has been poor with lots of problems needing repair. Dependabiity has been excellent though and almost, but never, left stranded. Although most of the problems were non critical they still required my time and money to resolve......and the car is transportation first. I find myself worrying what will break next.

Last edited by mleskovar; 07-22-2005 at 02:46 PM.