C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203 European-plate Trunk Insert thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 / S550 / Lexus IS300 (sold) / C63 (Sold) / SL500 (Sold) / Lambo Gallardo (RIP)
Originally Posted by ROLLNNN
Arab Homie, how hard was it to install the Euro plate insert?

is it a pretty simple diy?
Ya. It looked more complicated than it is. I got small hands so it was easy for me to do it. There are like I think 6 nuts u need to unscrew after you remove the trunk lining and plastic handles. Then there are some of those plastic snap in clips I just pinched n pushed out 2 or 3 with pliers then the trunk insert is loose enough to pull hard and all the other ones just pop out. If you wanna be careful u can do em 1 by one but I didn't do any damage to mine by pulling it out once I got a grip. Make sure to look carefully at the nuts through cuz some are kinda hidden and if u have big hands u might have trouble gettin like 2 of them unscrewed. I got small hands so I got in there real quick. Even a female can do this diy tho. Sorry I would have took pix but didn't have someone to take em for me. Once the insert is off you can change the license lights. Press the side plastic clips inward and it will pop down and you can pull em out and plug in new ones. TEST BEFORE PUTTING ON INSERT. I didn't and one ended up with the built in resistor not working so I had to add one and it worked fine. then insert pops in with plastic clips then just put the nuts n bolts back on. It looks so much better/cleaner with the euro insert.

BTW the euro insert needs metric screws, not the American ones or the ones with larger spirals. It needs the one with finer spirals. The other ones will either not go in all the way, strip the inside, or get stuck. Make sure to get these before doing the insert project.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
w203 / W211 / W219
I've done the reverse lol..

insert US plate holder and take my Euro one. allways trying to be diferent
Old 01-14-2014, 05:32 AM

C55 / S550 / Lexus IS300 (sold) / C63 (Sold) / SL500 (Sold) / Lambo Gallardo (RIP)
Originally Posted by a3 german
I've done the reverse lol..

insert US plate holder and take my Euro one. allways trying to be diferent
Lol why not just put a USA shaped EU plate with your original insert? At least with euro insert, you can put euro plate OR American plate.

If you know anyone in Germany that wants a USA insert, I have mine in the garage. Alabaster white (calcite white in EU)
Old 01-14-2014, 06:02 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
w203 / W211 / W219
I prefer the us because its smaller

sure, if I know anyone I will tell him about yours and I'm not from germany lol, I'm from Portugal
Old 01-14-2014, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by a3 german
I prefer the us because its smaller

sure, if I know anyone I will tell him about yours and I'm not from germany lol, I'm from Portugal
Ya I noticed only after I replied lol sorry.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Arab_Homie
Ya. It looked more complicated than it is. I got small hands so it was easy for me to do it. There are like I think 6 nuts u need to unscrew after you remove the trunk lining and plastic handles. Then there are some of those plastic snap in clips I just pinched n pushed out 2 or 3 with pliers then the trunk insert is loose enough to pull hard and all the other ones just pop out. If you wanna be careful u can do em 1 by one but I didn't do any damage to mine by pulling it out once I got a grip. Make sure to look carefully at the nuts through cuz some are kinda hidden and if u have big hands u might have trouble gettin like 2 of them unscrewed. I got small hands so I got in there real quick. Even a female can do this diy tho. Sorry I would have took pix but didn't have someone to take em for me. Once the insert is off you can change the license lights. Press the side plastic clips inward and it will pop down and you can pull em out and plug in new ones. TEST BEFORE PUTTING ON INSERT. I didn't and one ended up with the built in resistor not working so I had to add one and it worked fine. then insert pops in with plastic clips then just put the nuts n bolts back on. It looks so much better/cleaner with the euro insert.

BTW the euro insert needs metric screws, not the American ones or the ones with larger spirals. It needs the one with finer spirals. The other ones will either not go in all the way, strip the inside, or get stuck. Make sure to get these before doing the insert project.
thanks for the info. If i have time this weekend im going to attempt to install mine.

what did you use to attach your us plate? You didn't drill holes did you?
Old 01-14-2014, 06:45 PM

thanks for the info. If i have time this weekend im going to attempt to install mine.

Lol I don't drive with my US plate. I had a Saudi Plate on it before I did my conversion when I was in Alabama, then I came back to LA n did the conversion and had a custom black n red Albania plate, but it didn't pop enough so my friend sent me his old French plate that was in use in France in 06 so right now I'm driving around with that one. I live in Hollywood, too much traffic for the cops to pull me over if they wanted to haha but so many people do European delivery that they prob just think it's an ED car.

I've never had front plates on my cars so I don't plan on putting one at all. I would rather pay 80 dollars for the ticket than to drill holes in my beautiful car. And my custom USA plate is being hand made right now by my uncles shop. Should have it in a month or less according to him.

What I'm actually thinkin to bypass the front plate, have a company scan my California plate, and make it into a vinyl wrap sticker and just stick it on the front

Hey ROLLNNN, do u stay in Yorba Linda?
Old 01-18-2014, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

damn thats crazy man, driving around LA with not plate. I hope you don't ever park on a street, thats where they get you....

Not sure when you'll see this but hopefully soon. I started doing this and took off all the push pins, but i need to know what to do next. I cant seem to take off the plastic piece that surrounds the lock. There are no screws or anything, but i don't want to break anything if i try to pull it off. Any suggestions?

The green flashy thing and the 2 inner plastic handles only seem to be connected to the carpet and no metal under it. Am i assuming correctly?

Anyway if you see this, i could sure use some help.

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2014, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

oh and no im not in Yorba Linda, i have friends in that area but im about 20 miles west.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Disregard that I figured it out...
Old 01-18-2014, 04:35 PM

damn thats crazy man, driving around LA with not plate. I hope you don't ever park on a street, thats where they get you....

Not sure when you'll see this but hopefully soon. I started doing this and took off all the push pins, but i need to know what to do next. I cant seem to take off the plastic piece that surrounds the lock. There are no screws or anything, but i don't want to break anything if i try to pull it off. Any suggestions?

The green flashy thing and the 2 inner plastic handles only seem to be connected to the carpet and no metal under it. Am i assuming correctly?

Anyway if you see this, i could sure use some help.

Thanks!
Glad you figured it out. Was going to PM u rightt now. And parking patrol can't really do anything. European travelers can drive their cars here with their plates for I think 6-12 months. Also they won't know if the country requires a front plate. Plus my VIN is hidden so they coukdnt run it that way if they wanted. So they don't know if it is a euro car or not so they leave it. Only people who can do anything about it is the cops and they pull up next to or behind me all the time and either look at it and pay it absolutely no attention or if there are 2 cops one points and the other says something n they talk about it but that's it. The cops seriously don't care here lol I see an European delivery Benz BMW or Volvo everytime I hop on the freeway almost.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

interesting. Maybe ill be down to drive around with just the euro plate one day..

Here's the final result..
Attached Thumbnails W203 European-plate Trunk Insert thread-euro-plate.jpg  
Old 01-18-2014, 11:48 PM

interesting. Maybe ill be down to drive around with just the euro plate one day..

Here's the final result..
Looks good. I wouldn't recommend driving with that plate u have on or a regular blue and white German plate. I think they look past mine cuz it looks so different and figure it is legit. I'm sure a lot of people try using the same ol German plate. If u gonna do the German one try the Zoll plates.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:41 PM

I didn't use my USA plate but drilled holes into my EUSA plates lol
Attached Thumbnails W203 European-plate Trunk Insert thread-imag1766.jpg