C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203 European-plate Trunk Insert thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVE
Originally Posted by drexappeal
Sorry, mikeypwr. I already swooped it up! But it's good to see another 904 member on here.

The only other person I know on this board that has 904 is Wiederman.

-edit-
Just noticed your other post...you're pinoy also? Damn, how many of us are on here?...LOL
Lol drex, when you come up to the bay you can all join us ;D. Going to OSH now to check out what kinda things I can put together for reinforcement. Will let you all know!

flip
Old 09-22-2005, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by LorinserCClass
People think I am pinoy lol

hahahaha... really enri?? I'm pinoy
Old 09-22-2005, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Originally Posted by jo17jC230
hahahaha... really enri?? I'm pinoy

Jonji's ALIVE!
Old 09-22-2005, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Jonji's ALIVE!

LOL but for reals I used to live in a primarily Pinoy/Mexican area and I would be talked to in Pinoy all the time
Old 09-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by mig888
Lol drex, when you come up to the bay you can all join us ;D. Going to OSH now to check out what kinda things I can put together for reinforcement. Will let you all know!

flip
LOL...I'm down! Wish I knew all y'all back in July, cuz I would've hit y'all up. I was up in the bay area with my cousin for a EVO meet in Hayward at Gruppe S?

Anyways, hope to make a road trip up there sometime in the near future. I need a vacation for sure.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Hey guys, mission accomplished on the euro-us conversion. I will post pics later. Took me about & bucks and 30 minutes of patience for it to come out as clean as can be without the mutilation . I have spares of what I used and I can send them out to people for the &&&& of the hardware but obviously I can't &&&& (censored) them here ;D.

flip

lol. btw, it looks clean as !#%$!
Old 09-22-2005, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
good deal mig888 !!
post pics when you can....

also, as for MBWerks, forget about it....
their website is now down. Their store-front has been closed for weeks.
They don't answer e-mails, they don't return phone calls.
I stopped by today, and talked to their ditzy receptionist, who is completely clueless.
She had no idea who I was, and completely lacking any customer service skills.
Even so, they don't have any of the Euro-to-US plate adapters any more.
They used to sell them for $30 each.

Ever since Elijah and Mike left to do their own thing, MBWerks has really gone down-hill towards the regular off-the-street customers. They only deal with the MB Dealership, and high-end MB after-market products, I guess.

Really a shame.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
People think I am pinoy lol
enri, it don't matter. You've still got a pimp a$$ ride!
Old 09-22-2005, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
I'll post daytime pics as the night pics I just took don't do anything justice. It's just a few nuts and bolts from your local OSH . Just takes some intuition to figure the rest out (and a drill possibly - but only to the OSH hardware). Besides, OSH for all of you guys is closed anyway =p.

flip
Old 09-23-2005, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 764 Likes on 743 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
great news flip!
pls post pics, OSH part #s and DIY steps!
Old 09-23-2005, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Originally Posted by mj50
great news flip!
pls post pics, OSH part #s and DIY steps!
Lol, definitely will do. I'll take pictures of all the necessary equipment together, the layout of the mod, and as much DIY steps necessary until intuition HAS to kick in for you haha. I'll show pictures of specific bolts, MS paint diagrams, etc lol.

I also only used the top two to hold down the plate though, as I have a license plate frame that reads "Mercedes" in cursive (I think I mentioned this somewhere before..) so there would be repeating of a few steps for your guys looking to mount all 4.

flip
Old 09-23-2005, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

I'll post daytime pics as the night pics I just took don't do anything justice. It's just a few nuts and bolts from your local OSH . Just takes some intuition to figure the rest out (and a drill possibly - but only to the OSH hardware). Besides, OSH for all of you guys is closed anyway =p.

flip
OSH?...Okay, so maybe by a piece of sheet metal the length of the OEM license plate holes on the euro-trunklid. Use those to screw the trunk lid to the trunk. Then screw the nuts into the sheet metal and secure them with the bolts behind the sheet metal?

Maybe I'm making this more complicated than need be. I still haven't taken off the US trunklid, but definitely want to figure this out by the weekend.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
OSH?...Okay, so maybe by a piece of sheet metal the length of the OEM license plate holes on the euro-trunklid. Use those to screw the trunk lid to the trunk. Then screw the nuts into the sheet metal and secure them with the bolts behind the sheet metal?

Maybe I'm making this more complicated than need be. I still haven't taken off the US trunklid, but definitely want to figure this out by the weekend.
I didn't need to use sheetmetal <--that's extra weight in a delicate place, just two brackets about 4 inches long, 3/4inch wide, 2mm deep? (if you know what I mean). The great thing about it is that they already come pre-drilled with holes that fit a sie 10mm screw/bolt (I had to buy these too though). Oh and like I say, this should cost you less than 5 bucks, any more than that and you're buying the wrong things! The bracket comes in a 4 pack $3.29 for crying out loud =p (i.e. perfect for all of us).

So you take your brackets (in my case 2) and you mount THOSE onto the euro trunk frame pretty tight, use some polyurethane washers (again, OSH) so that you don't damage the thing too much. and then when those brackets are mounted, find a nut/bolt combo short enough to slide underneath the holes in those brackets, i.e. under going TOWARDS you then mount the plate on that thing (use washers here too) and then nut the plate down onto the brackets. Am I making any sense? Also, if you want to be extra careful, get some electrical tape and outline the background of the euro trunk so the brackets which are pretty close to the trunk lid hit something soft/supportive. Lol, can I make this any clearer? Definitely need a diagram, still pretty busy right now though.

Anyone can figure this out though just by going to OSH, you'll see what I mean...hopefully.

flip

Notes on taking out the trunklid: 20 pushpins later lol, when the carpet's been yanked away (you'll know what I mean). Don't yank it in a hurry or you'll be pulling the green pulsing emergency light to hell. Unlatch it and take your time. Be patient as well, because pushing up those tabs will take a while and you'll definitely need to be a trunkmonkey for a bit. I did this at night, but I know my way around the trunk pretty well.. some of you *******s know :\.

Last edited by mig888; 09-23-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

I didn't need to use sheetmetal <--that's extra weight in a delicate place, just two brackets about 4 inches long, 3/4inch wide, 2mm deep? (if you know what I mean). The great thing about it is that they already come pre-drilled with holes that fit a sie 10mm screw/bolt (I had to buy these too though). Oh and like I say, this should cost you less than 5 bucks, any more than that and you're buying the wrong things! The bracket comes in a 4 pack $3.29 for crying out loud =p (i.e. perfect for all of us).

So you take your brackets (in my case 2) and you mount THOSE onto the euro trunk frame pretty tight, use some polyurethane washers (again, OSH) so that you don't damage the thing too much. and then when those brackets are mounted, find a nut/bolt combo short enough to slide underneath the holes in those brackets, i.e. under going TOWARDS you then mount the plate on that thing (use washers here too) and then nut the plate down onto the brackets. Am I making any sense? Also, if you want to be extra careful, get some electrical tape and outline the background of the euro trunk so the brackets which are pretty close to the trunk lid hit something soft/supportive. Lol, can I make this any clearer? Definitely need a diagram, still pretty busy right now though.

Anyone can figure this out though just by going to OSH, you'll see what I mean...hopefully.

flip

Notes on taking out the trunklid: 20 pushpins later lol, when the carpet's been yanked away (you'll know what I mean). Don't yank it in a hurry or you'll be pulling the green pulsing emergency light to hell. Unlatch it and take your time. Be patient as well, because pushing up those tabs will take a while and you'll definitely need to be a trunkmonkey for a bit. I did this at night, but I know my way around the trunk pretty well.. some of you *******s know :\.
Leave it to a Filipino to find some sort of solution from using OSH supplies!...LOL...But perfect explanation, dawg.

Once I posted the other night, my cousin was like, "I bet you he got some brackets from OSH and used those to connect the Euro to the US holes..." Once I saw your post, I started laughing because my idea was so much more complicated than it needed to be...LOL...and my cousin was right about what you did.

Thanks for the tips, bro. Imma try this for sure. And also thanks for the tips on yanking the carpet away.

drex
Old 09-24-2005, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

flip or anybody else that has done this, I was looking at the trunk today to see what needs to be done.

I started taking out all the clips and the trunk stoppers (the right stopper was a pain in the ***). I accomplished taking all of those out. Now there are 2 torx screws on the trunk latch cover.

Here are my questions:

- Do I need to unscrew those two torx screws on the trunk latch to accomplish getting to the US trunklid?
- Do I need to take off the pushpins connected to the trunk hinges?
- In total I saw 15 pushpins. Are there really 20 or are you just throwing a figure out because there were so many of those damn things?
- Would it be right to assume that the trunk emergency light detaches similar to how the connectors on a taillight detach (i.e. male plug and female plug w/ wires connected on both sides)? I don't want to pull that ish out incorrectly.

That's all I can think of right now. I put the stoppers back in, but left the pushpins out so that I can take care of this tomorrow (fairly quickly) after my brakepads get installed.

If you guys have any further hints, recommendations, etc. for me, let me know.

BTW, on a side note, got my LED taillights in through UPS, but nobody was home to take delivery so I'm picking up on Monday morning.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
flip or anybody else that has done this, I was looking at the trunk today to see what needs to be done.

I started taking out all the clips and the trunk stoppers (the right stopper was a pain in the ***). I accomplished taking all of those out. Now there are 2 torx screws on the trunk latch cover.

Here are my questions:

- Do I need to unscrew those two torx screws on the trunk latch to accomplish getting to the US trunklid?
*Yep, take those two torx out. You don't even really need a torx driver if you've got the right size flathead - that's what I used. The liner is supposed to be tucked in under that thing somewhat.

- Do I need to take off the pushpins connected to the trunk hinges?
* Take enough of those pushpins out that the thing just freely wants to flop down at you (probably means all of them outlining the liner, even the one directly in the middle), I'm sure you know what I mean .

- In total I saw 15 pushpins. Are there really 20 or are you just throwing a figure out because there were so many of those damn things?
*Just threw out a figure, 15 seems about right. Again this was in the dark with me in the trunk...alone and cold..with no bananas.

- Would it be right to assume that the trunk emergency light detaches similar to how the connectors on a taillight detach (i.e. male plug and female plug w/ wires connected on both sides)? I don't want to pull that ish out incorrectly.
*Hm, yes in the way that it's a really small plug, like you push down on it and pull left gently to release. It's kinda hard to ruin it unless, of course, you yank down on the trunk liner mentioned earlier.

That's all I can think of right now. I put the stoppers back in, but left the pushpins out so that I can take care of this tomorrow (fairly quickly) after my brakepads get installed.

If you guys have any further hints, recommendations, etc. for me, let me know.

BTW, on a side note, got my LED taillights in through UPS, but nobody was home to take delivery so I'm picking up on Monday morning.
*DAMN, i thought it was just me, that right stopper WAS a pain in the ***! WEll hell, I might not even need to provide pics. If drex gets it, all of you should too! (Have a drill just in case you don't find the same kinda brackets and you need to make holes, etc). I bought a 50million pack of zinc bolts-not too long/short for .99 (still under 5 bucks!).

flip
Old 09-24-2005, 01:17 AM

2002 w203 C320 Sport Sedan
Sorry, mikeypwr. I already swooped it up! But it's good to see another 904 member on here.

The only other person I know on this board that has 904 is Wiederman.

-edit-
Just noticed your other post...you're pinoy also? Damn, how many of us are on here?...LOL

lol dammit.. i got jacked. and no, i'm not pinoy, i'm actually chinese. my gf is pinay and therefore i have attended many filipino events and tried many filipino delicacies :p you people sure can eat!
Old 09-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by mikeypwr
lol dammit.. i got jacked. and no, i'm not pinoy, i'm actually chinese. my gf is pinay and therefore i have attended many filipino events and tried many filipino delicacies :p you people sure can eat!
Shoot, mikey... Might as well be Pinoy if you've got a Pinay lady and eat Filipino food!...LOL...Hey, we Pinoys got mad love for all cultures anyway.

BTW, I'll have an extra US trunklid that I'll probably be selling after this. If you want it for $25 shipped, it's yours...(cuz not very many 904 - midnight blues out there)
Old 09-24-2005, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

*DAMN, i thought it was just me, that right stopper WAS a pain in the ***! WEll hell, I might not even need to provide pics. If drex gets it, all of you should too! (Have a drill just in case you don't find the same kinda brackets and you need to make holes, etc). I bought a 50million pack of zinc bolts-not too long/short for .99 (still under 5 bucks!).

flip
flip, no pics needed for me, but for the mechanically un-inclined...hmmm...if you're feeling nice, I'd post pics for them. One way or another this should be a fairly simple job, as far as I'm concerned and I don't have a digital camera (I know, I know, I should stop being a cheapskate and update to the 20th century).

I've done more difficult things before (like chopping up the metal in the headlight region of my MX-6 with a roto-zip to install my JDM headlights, now that was a task).

Thanks for the answers to my ? BTW.

drex
Old 09-24-2005, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Saprissa and MJ, how are you guys coming along with the transformation?

flip
Old 09-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 764 Likes on 743 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Saprissa and MJ, how are you guys coming along with the transformation?
flip
i'm still waiting for the insert...
Old 09-24-2005, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

LOL...Real quick before I go guys. Got it on, its not "super clean", not centered and I think I should've gotten different brackets.

I'll explain later. Gotta go.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Alright guys, posting a 5 step series on how to get it on (to make it easier for everyone). Stay tuned.

flip
Old 09-24-2005, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Step 1

Now this doesn't mean you don't have to read any of the above =p.

W203 European-plate Trunk Insert thread-step1.jpg

Take out all those damn pushpins. No, you're not done with your thumbs yet...

Last edited by mig888; 09-24-2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Step 2:

Don't yank the liner hard. Remove this sucker first:

W203 European-plate Trunk Insert thread-step2.jpg

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W203 European-plate Trunk Insert thread