C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: Which one should I keep?
Stick with the clear sidemarkers...
49.50%
Smoked...
36.63%
Stick with the original ambers.
13.86%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Sidemarkers

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 04-10-2002, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW GTI
i ordered them to today, gonna see if they fit in the coupe, if not, i will gladly resell them to one of you guys for 50% what i paid
Soooooo...this place doesn't take returns??
Old 04-10-2002, 10:56 AM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
they take returns, but after i factor in shipping and what not, i would rather just let one of you guys have em for cheap.

i dont like returning things either.... so much work.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:15 AM

bulb size discrepencies, install

I am psyched to hear if they fit. I e-mailed them and will let you guys know if I get a reply. I was looking around and found their chart of bulbs. It does not match what I saw on:

http://www.geocities.com/mercedeslighting/

Can anybody verify which is accurate?

Also, any word on how difficult it is to change the corner lenses?

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2002, 02:26 PM

1995 Acura
Different Size.....

I just called the MB parts department. The side marker lenses are different for the coupe and the sedan. This site doesn't identify which model they're for. When I called to ask, they said "it fits both." I doubt it.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:04 PM

2002 Mercedes S500
lol no problem guys, just trying to help out! i ordered a pair for my son. im going to see if they work. i was on yahoo searching for clear bumper lenses for my daughter's new X-Type, and i guess i saw jaguar somewhere. i scrolled down and yelled "holy sh*t" but after searching for jaguar, they had altezza "s-type" tail lights for accords and civics. hey atleast i found somethign that could be useful to others! lol!
Old 04-10-2002, 09:40 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
BTW, Carter, thanks for sharing this information. If the quality is good, <$40 represents a much better bargain than $120 from MBNZ.org
Old 04-10-2002, 10:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
lenses

for all of u that want to know i took my corner lenses out today i had them out and in in about 2 minutes total it was easy. the manual did not expalin it to good though. but u have to slide them back and get your finger nails at the end and pot out. the installation was the easiest u just snap them back in.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:29 AM

Smile Well, I ordered 'em...

I have a coupe, but Autodynamics claims that they will fit. So I ordered my first mod for my baby. I know, I am starting slow...

The bulbs beneath the lenses are amber, right? Do they come on when the headlights are on or just when the turn signals are used?

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Well, I ordered 'em...

Originally posted by kompress
The bulbs beneath the lenses are amber, right? Do they come on when the headlights are on or just when the turn signals are used?

Thanks.
No, the bulbs are clear. You will need to by amber bulbs or those trick bulbs which look silver, but flash amber. The sidemarkers come on wioth the headlights.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:21 PM

1995 Acura
Good luck Kompress. When the MB folks told me it was a different part for the sedan and the coupe, I didn't go any further. Please let us know if they indeed fit!
Old 04-11-2002, 03:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
ordered

i ordered mine yesturday i hope they fit i am prettty sure that they will but am not 100% sure. my MB dealer also told me they are different parts for the coupe and sedan but i will take the chances. but if everyone looks on their web site i see that they just updated it and it says its for the c coupe now. so thats good new but i dont know if i belive them anyway. since it looks like they sell alot of rice boy parts. :p
Old 04-11-2002, 05:15 PM

C32 AMG
I hope this is not too late, but you guys should check out the pre-painted lenses from evosport.com. They blend with the car when off, but glow amber at night (not full but translucent, kind of like E.T.'s stomach) I know this isn't a good picture, but here is what my car looks like, it really makes a difference. Can't even tell it's there during the day.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:42 PM

the pre painted ones look nice, but my first choice is of course clears... if they dont fit, i will sell em to some nice person on the board for cheap.

but i am crossing my fingers.
Old 04-12-2002, 04:23 AM

Yes...these clear markers fit

I went down and got a pair...yes the price listed online is for the pair...I installed it onto my c-coupe in less than a minute...you get just the clear compartment without the bulb and the bulb twists and snaps into the clear markers. Made in tiawan if anyones worried...its a good build and seems it will last. the original was manufactured in germany by hella i believe. Plus the picture online doesn't do it justice.
Old 04-12-2002, 05:20 AM

here's a pic of the product on the c-coupe

Enjoy :p
Old 04-12-2002, 05:22 AM

and another

Enjoy
Old 04-12-2002, 09:34 AM

C230
Question

Looks Great. Just ordered a set for my White C7 Coupe.

Does anyone know where to online order the Silver Coated Amber Lamps - Like the Phyllips Siver Vision bulbs for these side markers? I want the white-our look but still want the legal amber light at night.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have seen those bulbs somewhere.. i just can't remember off the top of my head... check evo sport or performance products (www.performanceproducts.com)

this is killing me.. because i just saw those bulbs 2 days ago!!! ahhhh

the lenses look great.. when someone gets it on a white ride, please post pics
Old 04-12-2002, 10:09 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by Boo2
I hope this is not too late, but you guys should check out the pre-painted lenses from evosport.com. They blend with the car when off, but glow amber at night (not full but translucent, kind of like E.T.'s stomach) I know this isn't a good picture, but here is what my car looks like, it really makes a difference. Can't even tell it's there during the day.
I don't like the pre-painted lenses because:
1) IMO, not legal. You say the pic is not good, I agree I see no light at all. USDOT has minimum luminosity requirements for all auto bulbs. My opinion (only) is that painted lenses won't meet these requirements. I want people to clearly see me at night, not wonder if ET is crossing the road.
2) During daylight, you say they blend into the bumper. But for me, they stand out as plugs for something that's missing. Just like those stupid square towing pintle plugs we each have in our F/R bumpers.

We've had this debate before. There are no winners, of course, just opinions.

I will order a set of the clear lenses later today (surprise). Fuzzo, hope your "fuzzo" memory clears up on those bulbs (LOL).

Last edited by MB-BOB; 04-12-2002 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:33 AM

Awaiting a new arrival...
Ordered for my coupe, as well.

Thanks to the original poster for this information!
Old 04-12-2002, 10:34 AM

those lenses look awesome!!!

now my car will have 2 modifications!!! be damned warranty!
Old 04-12-2002, 10:36 AM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by MB-BOB

I don't like the pre-painted lenses because:
1) IMO, not legal. You say the pic is not good, I agree I see no light at all. USDOT has luminosity requirements for all auto bulbs. My opinion (only) is that painted lenses won't meet these requirements.
2) During daylight, you say they blend into the bumper. But for me, they stand out as plugs for something that's missing. Just like those stupid square towing pintle plugs we each have in our F/R bumpers.
I hope you don't see any light, THE CAR IS TURNED OFF!!! Besides, do you really think a cop will stop me because the amber side lenses are not bright enough? Will it cause more accidents because other drivers look for it (european cars don't even have them)? I think cops will be more concerned with my speed, lack of a front license plate, and not wearing a seatbelt first. I won't argue on the aesthetics because that is just opinion. :p
Old 04-12-2002, 12:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Mr. Boo - do you think that you could take a nighttime pic of the car with the lights on? Both close up and from a distance? It would be great to be able to see just how much light is let through.

Because the only thing that's better than the Orion on my car is MORE Orion on my car. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2002, 12:10 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
I hope you don't see any light, THE CAR IS TURNED OFF!!! Besides, do you really think a cop will stop me because the amber side lenses are not bright enough? I think cops will be more concerned with my speed, lack of a front license plate, and not wearing a seatbelt first. :p
I suspect they won't pull you over for that specific reason, but once they do pull you over for a moving violation, they WILL cite you for no belts, and COULD decide to cite you for no front plate AND inoperative/substandard side markers. It's called "piling-on" citations and it happens all the time. The smaller and more cash-poor the jurisdiction, the more often it happens...

Will it cause more accidents because other drivers look for it (european cars don't even have them?):p
European cars are not required to have them. But we don't live in Europe.

Per Title 49, US Code of Fed. Regs, Chapter 301, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (fr. Mar. 1967), In Chicago, IL, USA, you ARE required to have them. Federal law requires all states to conform with the code in their annual safety inspections (there are a couple neanderthal states that don't have annual safety inspections, but IL is not one of them.)

Just so you know, I gamble as well... I don't run a front plate on my car in TX, and so also take the chance of a piling-on citation. But running without a plate is not a FEDERAL safety violation.

As far as the lack of side markers causing more accidents... There are 1/3 the accidents today in the US versus prior to 1967, due in part to changes in vehicle safety requirements, of which vehicle lighting is a part of the "Accident Prevention" standards.

More important, in this lawsuit-oriented society, my guess is you wouldn't want to be "the RICH, Mercedes-Benz owner" hauled into civil court by a paralysed-for-life plaintiff who (stupidly) hits your car, but whose insurance company won't pay-up, claiming that you contributed to the accident, and thus share liability, because you factually altered the lighting on your car in indisputable violation of Federal Law, which made your vehicle harder to see at night.

Sorry for the rant... It really is up to you, of course...

Last edited by MB-BOB; 04-12-2002 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2002, 12:28 PM

C32 AMG

European cars are not required to have them. But we don't live in Europe.

Per Title 49, US Code of Fed. Regs, Chapter 301, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (fr. Mar. 1967), In Chicago, IL, USA, you ARE required to have them. Federal law requires all states to conform with the code in their annual safety inspections (there are a couple neanderthal states that don't have annual safety inspections, but IL is not one of them.)
The european remark was rhetorical; and coming from California, I've had more than my share of experience with cops citing me for all these "fix-it" tickets. Cops are too tight in Cali (of course my car, age, race, and appearance probably didn't help either ). But I think the cost of paying those tickets is worth the look of my car.

More important, in this lawsuit-oriented society, my guess is you wouldn't want to be "the RICH, Mercedes-Benz owner" hauled into civil court by a paralysed-for-life plaintiff who (stupidly) hits your car, but claims that you contributed to the accident, and thus share liability, because you factually altered the lighting on your car in indisputable violation of Federal Law, which made your vehicle harder to see at night.

Sorry for the rant... It really is up to you, of course...
True, anything can happen. But it is very unlikely that someone that stupid would think of that. And if they did, i'll bank on the notion that "the RICH, Mercedes-Benz owner" has a "better, more expensive lawyer" Besides, it's not dark at all. Not as bright but bright enough. I'll take some pix this weekend..

B

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Sidemarkers