C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Help with sorting models out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so im new to this whole mercedes thing.Im considering buying a c230 kompressor sedan is why i stumbled on this site.But im already getting really into.I dont think the 190 horsepower the c230 offers is enough.Im used to driving my modded trans am everyday that has over 400.So a few members pointed out a few other cars i might like.The problem however is german cars' model names are like a different language.The link to this post says its for C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 180K, C 200 CGI, C 200 K, C 240, C 320, C 230K C-Coupe.What the hell? can someone post the name then a pic and maybee specs of each car?Ill tell you what i do know.C230 sedan,c230 coupe,and g-wagon(g55 amg).other than that,im completely lost.i ask this cause i think i like the c class the best.But it doesnt have to stop there.If you would like name and show every car currently in production and the variances and specs.I can retain tons of info so give me a whole crash course!!!!
Old 11-11-2005, 04:30 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
www.mbusa.com
Old 11-11-2005, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Sport Sedan 4MATIC, Cayenne S, Bayliner Capri V8, Subaru STi
Originally Posted by 530transam

here are some models....

watch out for this model possibility of loose compression when breakin in pistons
Old 11-11-2005, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
:p :p
Old 11-11-2005, 12:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS
530trans,

Did you not first get logged into "MBWorld.org Forums" ?...Did you just happen to miss that each section is divided my model/series/off topic/etc. ?

This is not rocket science here...Click on the model of Mercedes you would like to find out more information about and read up...

---

Bling,

My votes for pic #2
Old 11-11-2005, 01:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
The nomenclature is relatively (and I use realtively somewhat broadly :p) straightforward, and, IMO, better than most Japanese or American car company modeling methods. I'll use BMW as another comparison.

SO, the letter in the name (could be front or back, newer models are named from the front, older ones in the back) specifies the body style: C - the small sedan/coupe, E - the mid-size sedan, S - the large sedan, ML - the truck, and a host of others (SL, CL, CLS, CLK, SLK, G) which aren't particularly relevent (you can look them up to see what they fall under - coupes, roadsters, etc). The number that follows usually specifies the displacement of the vehicle; for instance, a C 350 has a 3.5 liter displacement, and a S 500 has a 5.0 liter displacement. Of course, just to make things complicated, the number may or may not be the actual literage of the car!

For instance, the C230K that I've got, if 2004 or above (maybe 2003 too, I forget) actually has a 1.8 liter displacement engine despite the badging. Why you ask? The badging in recent times has become a power rating more than a literage decleration. So a C230K is more powerful than a C180K, but they do have the same literage. This has to do with different engine configurations (bore, stroke, compression, etc).

The letter following the model (in recent years, yours included) delcares any special features about the car. K implies Kompressor, a supercharger that is part of the engine. CDI refers to the fact that the car comes equipped with a diesel engine. There may be others I'm not familiar with.

So that's about it. BMW follows a similar scheme, but with numbers. A 300 number is the 3 series (small sedan/coupe), 500 is the midsize, and 700 is the large sedan. The numbers following (i.e. 35 in 535) are the literage. The i at the end implies fuel injection (which every BMW has had since the mid to late 80s). A L implies a longer body. A C implies the coupe of the series (used to be s on the older 3 series).

And there you have it. A long-winded short example of German badging methods. Hopefully that helps somewhat. However, giving you specs would take a little bit of time (read: forever), so sorry about that :p. Oh, BTW, you won't see much of any model besides the C230K, C320, C350, or C240 around here simply because all those other models (even the CDI, unfortunately) aren't sold in NA, but in countries where gas is at a premium, so consumers want smaller (and diesel) engines. If you want to check out the specs on those, go to the Australian or UK MB sites.

Last edited by jedcred; 11-11-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Bing
here are some models....

J'Alba and Elisha Cuthbert...Very good choices.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Blimp
The 6spd on the 230 has plenty of pep.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS
Originally Posted by jedcred
The nomenclature is relatively (and I use realtively somewhat broadly :p) straightforward, and, IMO, better than most Japanese or American car company modeling methods. I'll use BMW as another comparison.

SO, the letter in the name (could be front or back, newer models are named from the front, older ones in the back) specifies the body style: C - the small sedan/coupe, E - the mid-size sedan, S - the large sedan, ML - the truck, and a host of others (SL, CL, CLS, CLK, SLK, G) which aren't particularly relevent (you can look them up to see what they fall under - coupes, roadsters, etc). The number that follows usually specifies the displacement of the vehicle; for instance, a C 350 has a 3.5 liter displacement, and a S 500 has a 5.0 liter displacement. Of course, just to make things complicated, the number may or may not be the actual literage of the car!

For instance, the C230K that I've got, if 2004 or above (maybe 2003 too, I forget) actually has a 1.8 liter displacement engine despite the badging. Why you ask? The badging in recent times has become a power rating more than a literage decleration. So a C230K is more powerful than a C180K, but they do have the same literage. This has to do with different engine configurations (bore, stroke, compression, etc).

The letter following the model (in recent years, yours included) delcares any special features about the car. K implies Kompressor, a supercharger that is part of the engine. CDI refers to the fact that the car comes equipped with a diesel engine. There may be others I'm not familiar with.

So that's about it. BMW follows a similar scheme, but with numbers. A 300 number is the 3 series (small sedan/coupe), 500 is the midsize, and 700 is the large sedan. The numbers following (i.e. 35 in 535) are the literage. The i at the end implies fuel injection (which every BMW has had since the mid to late 80s). A L implies a longer body. A C implies the coupe of the series (used to be s on the older 3 series).

And there you have it. A long-winded short example of German badging methods. Hopefully that helps somewhat. However, giving you specs would take a little bit of time (read: forever), so sorry about that :p. Oh, BTW, you won't see much of any model besides the C230K, C320, C350, or C240 around here simply because all those other models (even the CDI, unfortunately) aren't sold in NA, but in countries where gas is at a premium, so consumers want smaller (and diesel) engines. If you want to check out the specs on those, go to the Australian or UK MB sites.

But heck..lets liven it up with another random selection of photos from "My Pictures" folder..
Attached Thumbnails Help with sorting models out-00.jpg   Help with sorting models out-bedheaven.jpg   Help with sorting models out-300loaner.jpg  

Last edited by respdoc; 11-11-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jedcred

nice explination!
Old 11-11-2005, 08:44 PM

Black 04 C230 Kompressor SS
Originally Posted by Bing
here are some models....

watch out for this model possibility of loose compression when breakin in pistons
.............& I thought I new all the models in the C-class! Thanks, we are never too old to learn.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:44 PM

yea thats what i figured with the badgin at first.I thought all german cars were named like that and thats what i came to this site assuming but the first car i looked at was the c230 and the whole 1.8 litres threw me off like i thought.Im still confused about the differences in styles and i just hat to hop around the net looking them up becuase i have crappy dial up (i know i know but my parents are farmers we literally live in an orchard).Like i saw a black mercedes with an expression kit under the "my new kit" thread,and when i saw it i said"thats the nicest c23o ive saw yet!".then i learned it in fact isnt a c230 but a c240?or was it a c320?Anyway-so does a g55 have a 5.5 litre?cause my newwest motor trent with one in it says it has a 5.1 litre.Or is it the amg version that has a 5.5?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:47 PM

or that c320 up ther is really nice!by the way i cant beleive thats paris ive never liked her and omg look at her there!!!!
Old 11-12-2005, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
Originally Posted by 530transam
The problem however is german cars' model names are like a different language.The link to this post says its for C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 180K, C 200 CGI, C 200 K, C 240, C 320, C 230K C-Coupe.What the hell?
german car model names (specifically MB and BMW) are very strightforward and to the point. MB has been sliding lately with putting in different motors over the number designation.

its not like this is the first with the ML350, C240, 2006 C230 etc.

but it used to be a useful tool for defining the car, its engine and body style. now days it takes some memory to remember is the number designation is really the engine size or the model(since MB doesnt want to foresake a good selling model)