C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Cold Start --> Rought Noise.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brabus K3
Cold Start --> Rought Noise.

Hello,

When I start the engine cold, after the night, all its ok.

Then I press brake and put D in the transmition (Summer Mode). Then the car is stopped but the engine has some load, then is when I have a rought sound like a heavy vibration that seems to come from the engine. when I depres the brake pedal and the car start to move this disapears but If I repress it I does the noise another time, after 3 minutes it also disapear, If I put winter mode it does that but not soo rought.

I also have notice that if I have the wheels turned It tends to do it more.

Any Idea? (Kat broken? Kompresor? Any Belt?, etc..).

Best Regards.

Last edited by rubensans; 11-16-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:44 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
Mine does the same thing each morning or whenever the engine is cold. It's really annoying. I guess that's how these 4-bangers are made.

Here's a video of my car on a cold start...and switching gears from PARK to REVERSE and back and forth. You'll notice how the engine rattles loudly as I shift the gears, but when back to PARK, it's gone.

Engine Shifting Roughly

Last edited by diamondblak05; 11-16-2005 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
I think that it is the belt tensioner pulley.

Best Regards.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:13 AM

Too many to list
Does your sound like mine or is it different? And if you can, host a video clip.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
First off all thanks.

In 12 hours I will post a clip. It's similar that yours but I think a lot louder.

When I start the car at cold after 12 hours beeing stoped, I hear a very huge vibration on the front of the car that remains aprox 1-2 minutes. You never have the vibration if the engine is in neutral. It only apears when you have "D" or "R" selected and the brake aplied or going at very low speeds. You have a little more if you are turning.

I toke the car to the dealer and they said and I saw, that the belt tensioner of the supercharger belt was bad; you can see how it vibrates up and down; in the direction wich it tenses.

With the new tensioner the sound disapeared 2 days and then it has progresively reapeared. We have change the tensioner pulley another time and It stills happens; now we are thinking in iddler pulley / supercharger / Alternator pulley.

Any idea of what could be? The mechanic said it could be the new tensioner bad or that the kompressor has more friction that it should have, could it be in the eaton kompressor maybe the spacer between the nose unit and the actual rotors.

Please give me ideas !!!

Best Regards and Thanks.

Ruben.

P.S. 2002 Sportcoupe C230 Kompressor.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Ruben, I don't know if my situation is the same, but it happens either when my car is cold, or when I JUST turn on the climate control.

At very low speeds, you'll notice that when you come to a stop, you'll hear a shuddering noise... It sounds/feels like the car is somewhat shaking. I have no idea what's going on, but it's done this since it was brand new and the dealer "can't replicate".

This is my first FI and 4-banger, I've always had 6's up until now... So I hope it's just the nature of the engine, but I really don't know.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by rubensans
Hello,

When I start the engine cold, after the night, all its ok......to do it more.

Any Idea? (Kat broken? Kompresor? Any Belt?, etc..).

Best Regards.

YOU NEED STEERING WHEEL FLUID and or check ur brake fluid, I had that on my first winter...I bought my car into the dealer, and thats what they put in, steering wheel fluid, thats what I assume.. hope that help
Old 12-19-2005, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
Originally Posted by advans
YOU NEED STEERING WHEEL FLUID and or check ur brake fluid, I had that on my first winter...I bought my car into the dealer, and thats what they put in, steering wheel fluid, thats what I assume.. hope that help
Thanks but this is OK.

The car has been at the dealer the last 2 weeks and they don't see the problem.

They only see than when the engine is completely cold and you put a "gear" the tensioner vibrates up and down. Then we take the belt out and we rotate the alternator by hand, the supercharger, and the iddler pulley and all seems fine.

Will do the video in a short time.

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:17 AM

C 230K Coupé
I've had the same problem twice now. I think it has something to do with the power steering or the pulley belts because it mainly happens when i turns the wheel either direction.
Last time the car was services the problem went away for 3-4 month but now it's back again and annoying me once again. Last time they replaced some part, don't quite remember what because my dad serviced the car.
It's back for the 2nd service A this week (car is at 19000 miles). I hope they'll be able to fix it or at least temporarily (lease ends pretty soon). I'll let you guys know what the find/do. This will probably be tuesday.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
I just come from doing the video, and because murfy's law this time it hasn't happened but when I put the rear gear it has done the rattling a very short time. Tomorow I will repeat the video because it usualy do that.

Here is the video with the noise: http://www.rubensans.com/temp/motor1.wmv

Best Regards.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:19 AM

2009 C200K
Happens on my car too.
Especially in the morning and the noise is more obvious when I make a slow turn.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:25 AM

2009 C200K
Originally Posted by diamondblak05
Mine does the same thing each morning or whenever the engine is cold. It's really annoying. I guess that's how these 4-bangers are made.

Here's a video of my car on a cold start...and switching gears from PARK to REVERSE and back and forth. You'll notice how the engine rattles loudly as I shift the gears, but when back to PARK, it's gone.

Engine Shifting Roughly
Hi diamondblak05,
I just realised your bix have a slight rattling noise during start up.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:00 PM

2005 C240 4Matic
I've got to chime in here and say that I've got the same exact cold start rattle. The video even made me feel like I was in my car- cept' my right speaker grill rattles too.

Keep in mind, mines a 6.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:40 PM

C 230K Coupé
Okay so I got my car back from the dealer today and I must honestly say they did a pretty good job, fast and quick. Definitelly a nice experience.
They did service A on the car and were looking into the "rough noise". While expecting the car they also found that the suspension bushings were cracked. That might explainsing some of my alignment issues recently :p. The car was driven up to me so I couldn't check on the rough noise because it usually happens during a cold start. On the papers it said that the steering fluid was very low and that they adjusted that. Right now the car runs great, i'll keep you posted about the rough noise when I start it up tomorrow morning.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by r3v1ls
Okay so I got my car back from the dealer today and I must honestly say they did a pretty good job, fast and quick. Definitelly a nice experience.
They did service A on the car and were looking into the "rough noise". While expecting the car they also found that the suspension bushings were cracked. That might explainsing some of my alignment issues recently :p. The car was driven up to me so I couldn't check on the rough noise because it usually happens during a cold start. On the papers it said that the steering fluid was very low and that they adjusted that. Right now the car runs great, i'll keep you posted about the rough noise when I start it up tomorrow morning.
Adjusted your fluid? Youre actually happy with that lame of an explanation? As them where exactly did the fluid go? All C-Class power steering seems to lose fluid over time. BTW, the bushings were an issue in just about 02's. Its just on the sway bar...makes noise, but doesn't affect alingment- it can't.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
Here is the video.

It's more noticable when I put the reverse gear.

http://www.rubensans.com/temp/MOV06916.MPG

It's very different from the steering fluid noise !!!

Best Regards.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:14 PM

C 230K Coupé
Adjusted your fluid? Youre actually happy with that lame of an explanation? As them where exactly did the fluid go? All C-Class power steering seems to lose fluid over time. BTW, the bushings were an issue in just about 02's. Its just on the sway bar...makes noise, but doesn't affect alingment- it can't.
Honestly not really, the SA didn't even know what they did to fix the steering. I only saw it on the report paper later on. Unfortunutely I had to drive my friend to the airport so I didn't have time to deal with these guys. The car stopped making the buzzing sound so I'm happy.
Is it a long-term fix? Probably not, but the car's lease is ending pretty soon so I'm not concerned.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:13 PM

Too many to list
Here is the video.

It's more noticable when I put the reverse gear.

http://www.rubensans.com/temp/MOV06916.MPG

It's very different from the steering fluid noise !!!

Best Regards.
Mine have the exact same noise if I start moving the car from PARK.....and the whole car shakes too! Even with the engine is warmed, it's still rough.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:35 PM

C 230K Coupé
Wow that noise from the video is very different from mine. I've only heard it when my car almost stalls . Definitelly should get that checked out at the dealer's or a mechanic.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:43 PM

Too many to list
It's different because I didn't move the car or turn the steering wheel. I just put it in Reverse and back to Park. Otherwise, it's the same noise as yours. It's sad to even think about it as being a problem or not, but it's irritating as heck!
Old 12-21-2005, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
Originally Posted by diamondblak05
It's different because I didn't move the car or turn the steering wheel. I just put it in Reverse and back to Park. Otherwise, it's the same noise as yours. It's sad to even think about it as being a problem or not, but it's irritating as heck!
Then it's the same as me and it's a problem. It only happens when your car is cold, no?

Mercedes is looking about it and it's making some test on my car 2 weeks yet doing tests.

Best Regards.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:20 PM

Too many to list
Then it's the same as me and it's a problem. It only happens when your car is cold, no?

Mercedes is looking about it and it's making some test on my car 2 weeks yet doing tests.

Best Regards.
The noise is more prominent when it is cold. When the engine is warm, it's still noticable but very faint. Keep us updated on MB's diagnostics.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
I will keep you updated.

I don't have any noise on warm.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
We have been investigating and we have some data after replacing 3 tensioner pulleys’s but not the solution.

I have installed some time ago a Brabus pulley with a Contitech rubber belt.

We have see that with new belt tensioner, when you start the car in cold, the first 60 seg the tensioner makes some movements (pulls) to the maximum limit and then it stops, after doing that 10 cold starts the rubber mounts of the tensioner limit wear out and you hear that rattling noise.

Then we think that the problem is that the belt is to long, and we should see if on another M111 when you start in cold the tensioner has some normal movement inside the limits if it have then it’s only the belt that is too long and allow the tensioner go to the limit.

Can anyone can make a test (2 people need and a M111 sportcoupe):

With the engine cold after 12 hours:
Mr. A: Enter the car and release the hood.
Mr. B: Open the hood and with a flashlight illuminate the tensioner pulley of the kompressor belt.
Mr. A: Start the engine.
Mr. B: See if the tensioner pulley is stable.
Mr. A: Press the brake pedal and put reverse, move a little bit the steering to one side.
Mr. B: Check if the tensioner pulley is stable or has some kind of movement.
Mr. A: Put Park and stop the engine.

Best Regards.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
A video of the pulley shaking and the sound:

http://www.rubensans.com/temp/MOV06987.MPG (50MB)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cold Start --> Rought Noise.