C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Comparisons; Audi TT, 350Z, Beetle Turbo S, and a MB Sports Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comparisons; Audi TT, 350Z, Beetle Turbo S, and a MB Sports Coupe

I was hoping you could provide some alternative
opinions here to help me make a decision. I am
considering the following cars:

350z Performance ~ $30K
225 AudiTT ~ $36K
Beetle Turbo S (180 HP)~ $24K
MB C-Class Sports Coupe ~ $27K

What each of these cars has in common is safety including; ESP, Traction Control, Frontal/side/curtain airbags, and some form of
Brake assist. This is important to me, as I want
to make sure my family and myself have the best
chance in an accident.

Now, which car appeals to my emotions most, either the 350Z or the TT. Both (IMHO) are beautiful cars on the exterior, the Z has more power and therefore quicker but probably the same on the twisties. I've seen the Z interior in person, and It's my opinion that is of the lowest quality of the four cars above. This bothers me a bit since I'll spend most of my time inside the car.

Ok, so price is also a consideration. For 24K I
can get the safety in the bug, but it's a little
too trendy (interior and exterior) for me. (24yo married male)So the bug is out. Now consider the MB sports coupe, the interior is great, very nice and nothing feels like it's going to break, ever. Yes, the exterior rear end is a little odd and the twisties won't be as fun.

But it has a back seat which could be a problem 5
years from now if we want a family... I also like
the fact that MB includes all safety features standard even on their low end model at $25K. I'm a little less comfortable with nissan making side/curtian air bags "optional". Japanese car makers don't seem to make this their first concern.

So I'm caught between price, functionality and the fun factor in driving. What's your opinion, did you consider any of the points I brought up in purchasing your MB Sports Coupe? Thoughts?

Thanks for your input! (Note: I relalize this is a MB site and everyone will obviously be biased. )
Old 07-23-2002, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe
if u want better chance to survive in an accident, the 350Z is out
if price is ur another main concern, then the TT is out.

so u're left with the bug and the coupe.
Old 07-23-2002, 06:45 AM

'02 C230K Coupe
The back of a C-coupe has much more room in the back than a 3-series coupe. I sat in the back of both (my C-coupe and my friend's 3 coupe), and while the 3-series is cramped in the back, the C definitely has the space. Although it looks small from the outside, try asking to take a test drive and sit in the back before taking it off the lot. You'll be surprised.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Although it looks small from the outside, try asking to take a test drive and sit in the back before taking it off the lot. You'll be surprised.
I jumped in the back seat while my wife was driving. I liked riding in the back more than the front- you get your money's worth from the pana-roof when your in the back
Old 07-23-2002, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
well, you said safety first, so i'd pick the coupe. (otherwise, i'd take the 350z interior poor? well, i think i could deal w/ that. and yes, tommy, i'd get a manual)
Old 07-23-2002, 09:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by young
and yes, tommy, i'd get a manual
Well, it's about time! :p

I don't get his point about the back seat. You're going to have kids, so a back seat is a negative? Or is it that he thinks that the back seat is too small in the ccoupe? Out of his possibilities, the ccoupe is the only one with a rear seat that I'd put people I like into.

Well, if you get the z, option out the side airbags, and you'll have them. I don't see the Japanese manufacturers being less concerned about safety if they're options. If they're available, then you can have the same safety as the Euros. The buyer, then, if they don't get the airbags, would be the one who was unconcerned about safety, not the manufacturer.

The Turbo S is a nice car with the 6-speed, but is a terrible use of space, especially in the rear seat and hatch. A GTI would be a more practical choice, and has a standard DIN-sized radio, for upgrading. Plus, at $20k for a 1.8, it's a bargain.

A TT is beautiful, but no sunroof , and convertible is way too much (I'd rather get an S2000 at that point). Also useless rear seat. Same deal with the Z, but its cheap power is hard to ignore.

So, I'd choose between the Z, GTI, and ccoupe, and throw in the Mini just for fun, though the whole ordering scenario with those has gotten dreadful. Drive 'em all, and decide. If you can't decide then, drive again, and repeat until you're down to one.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
Ok, Of course I like the C230 cause I have one.

350Z- Never been a fan of Japan cars. To funky loking to me, just dosnt have the fluid lines the coupe does.

Beetle- Its a very trendy car that you will see 20+ more of a day. The backseat is nothing, but you can make it a pretty fast car, but its still a betle.

TT- WOW what a car. Its beautiful and fast. If I didnt have to haul so much stuff around (golf clubs and guitar equip) I would have that car. With the 225hp Twin Turbo version you can increase the power very easily and fairly cheap too. But don't plan on getting anything other than a toddler in the back seat. I road from NC to Alabama in a TT and it was a wonderful car. Highly recommended, if you only carry yourslf and one other.

The coupe is still my choice as of right now, but the TT is a VERY close second.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:10 PM

C32 AMG
I think the 350z has a better interior than the beetle. Key word is that you are "24" years old. We are the same age except that you are married. I would suggest getting the car you would have the most fun in since you won't be having that kind of fun any more when you have kids. All those cars listed are not really family cars anyway, so you might as well go for the fun factor. When you have a family, cross that bridge when you get there. Leave the bug out. If you like a sportscar feel with a nice interior, take the Audi over the 350z. I would stick with european and go with either Audi or Mercedes.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Real men don't drive new Beetles If you are thinking coupe then hurry and get an '02 because the engine shrinks from 2.3 to 1.8 and all the performance mods available for the 2.3 won't be available for the 1.8 for a long while if at all. The '02 C-Coupe is capable of about 250HP with a pulley, airfilter and chip for under $1,000.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:46 PM
gab

wait for the new RX-8
start at around 24K
Old 07-23-2002, 12:54 PM

Great list of cars! I was/am in a similar position (but a little older). My wife would have definitely chosen the TT, but the coupe was the one that I fell for. And dammit, she already has a car!!

Since you asked the question here, I tend to think you are leaning toward the coupe. That is the best buy of the bunch in my mind. The sunroof was VERY important to me. If it was not, I would have taken a second look at the WRX (which would give you the practical 4-doors.) The coupe's safety is top-notch, power is decent and the space is the most useful. For me, the RWD was a definite plus-- as was the perception that this is a car that will last a while (I hope that's true!) with the high mileage I put on.

Good luck in you decision. You can't go wrong with any of the cars on your list... but the coupe is more right! And make sure that you get a manual. Real men don't drive wus-amatics! (Neither do most real women-- don't tell my wife!)
Old 07-23-2002, 02:01 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by kompress
....And make sure that you get a manual. Real men don't drive wus-amatics! (Neither do most real women-- don't tell my wife!)
Yes, as opposed to "not real men" like myself and formula one drivers???

Originally posted by kompress
Since you asked the question here, I tend to think you are leaning toward the coupe. That is the best buy of the bunch in my mind. The sunroof was VERY important to me. If it was not, I would have taken a second look at the WRX (which would give you the practical 4-doors.) The coupe's safety is top-notch, power is decent and the space is the most useful. For me, the RWD was a definite plus-- as was the perception that this is a car that will last a while (I hope that's true!) with the high mileage I put on.
Looks wise, the WRX is no contender. The bug eyes are an acquired taste. Go with the Audi or the Benz, if it were me maybe i'd slightly lean towards the Audi because I like their interior over the C-Class interior (even mine!!!).
Old 07-23-2002, 02:35 PM

C230
I can speak to the Audi TT and MB C230 Coupe as we own both.

The Audi is better looking IMHO, in and out, built very tight, is faster, and handles and brakes better. Its more of a sports coupe, 2+2, then the C230. And my wife and I both love driving it. Its fun and still draws a lot of attention every where we go.

The MB has more room inside, especially in the back seat and truck, which are surprisingly large in the MB C230 coupe. The Audi TT back seat and trunk really don’t exist, in fact the back seat on the TT is usually folded down if anything needs carried. The MB is the preferred ride of my 2 children, 7 & 9 years old, as it is more comfortable in the back then the TT and cooler then our Excursion to be seen in.

So we love both, if your looking for a good all-around car that will occasionally have children in the back or stuff in the trunk the MB C230 is the better choice. If it’s usually just the two of you the TT is a great car, lot of fun…

Now that said, I am spending ~ $2000 to have the c230 match the performance of the TT, with an upgraded suspension and enlarged supercharger pulley package from Kleemann, a European MB tuner. May also do a little brake work soon, but in the end the C230 should perform as well as the TT and still cost ~ $30K which is far less then the ~ $40K we spend on the TT.

Last edited by edvpt; 07-23-2002 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by Boo2
Yes, as opposed to "not real men" like myself and formula one drivers???
You said it, not me.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:07 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by tommy

You said it, not me.
No problem, and no trade!!! You'll be surprised how many more females turn their heads when the "not real men" drive by. Of course we turn into "real men" when we actually stop and pick them up!!! :p
Old 07-23-2002, 03:55 PM
Almost a Member!

C230K Coupe
My personal opinion: after only buying Japanese cars prior to the 230 coupe, establishing a premise that MB, or any German car for that matter, has the distinction of superior quality and workmanship is quite the fallacy. I guess it is the quality FEEL to the coupe that got to me. "It is more than just a car" is a fitting phrase to describe MB. The driving experience is refined coupled with feeling great about the safety with sufficient performance. Not to mention the individuality of the car. Just be prepared for some initial quality hiccups. Don't jump the gun on the coupe's abilities to handle the twisties, C7 contributes nicely to grip. A bug? TT? $$$. If I were to look at price-to-performance its got to be the 350Z hands down. And, as far as longevity and quality, our family Pathfinder ran for about 300k before selling it to the second owner. The styling of the Z would put you at the top of what many single 24 year olds would consider right on. Cheaper than anything in its class with AMPLE horsepower and off-the-chart fun factor. I wouldn't know about the backseat in that car. Guess the main thing is if you were to only have one vehicle while raising a family the Z would have to go. The 230 wins there. Child protection system, lots of room...
Old 07-23-2002, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by edvpt
The MB has more room inside, especially in the back seat and truck, which are surprisingly large in the MB C230 coupe.
I originally went to the MB dealer to check out either a C320 or C240. I liked the power of the C320 but liked the idea of a 6-speed manual - I liked the practicality of a four door car to carry people, but prefer the styling of two-door versions. I ended up going with the C230K as a good "in-between" version, especially as the rear seating volume had equivelent numbers (except for losing about an inch or so of rear head room - although I've had six footers in the back with few complaints).

Originally posted by dontwakemeup
I guess it is the quality FEEL to the coupe that got to me.
I'll second this. The solid feeling of the Coupe is much better than any Japanese car I've driven.

Cheers, BT
Old 07-23-2002, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is my take.....

Branding-wise:

1) MB
2) Audi
3) VW
4) Nissan

Quality-wise:

1) Audi (its one of the top models in their lineup)
2) MB (its the least expensive model in the lineup)
3) VW (I've one, made-in-brazil, how good can it be?)
4) Nissan (only from past experience... because no one has a 350 yet)

If money is a factor, MB is definitely my choice, afterall its a MB. The only problem that I have is the look of the rear (sorry, coupe owners). Just think it doesnt match with the front.
If money is not a factor, then choose TT. I've driven once and it has a very solid feeling. The fit and finish is way better than the C-coupe, and its Quattro!! Only complaint is the lack of room if you'll have a baby years down the road. You'll definitely have to get another car (that might be a good excuse for you to change yr car again!!)
I owned a Beetle 1.8T, its a very nice car....and nice handling (with aftermarket suspensions). It can get you from point A to point B with some fun.
And the 350Z, everything that we know about the car is only from press releases, no one has actually driven/owned one yet. Its unfair to make preliminary judgement here.

Last edited by Harris; 07-23-2002 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
Throw the VW out of the question unless you want to be made fun by all of your friends. Like many others my top choiced would be the Audi and MB, and I guess it comes down to price. The TT is IMHO the more desirable car, but maybe not for $40,000!
Old 07-23-2002, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally posted by Boo2

No problem, and no trade!!! You'll be surprised how many more females turn their heads when the "not real men" drive by. Of course we turn into "real men" when we actually stop and pick them up!!! :p
:p I'm not a real man either.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:55 PM

c240
GET THE INFINITI G35 COUPE!!!!!
that a crazy CAR!!!
Old 07-23-2002, 08:35 PM
rrf

Agree G35 coupe

I suggest the Infinity G35 coupe based on what you are saying.
Perhaps one of the best normally aspirated V6s ever produced.
Infinity should have better interior than the Nissan too, and better overall quality.
Descendant of the Skyline. Nice looking car too.
TT is getting a little old.

Oh yes the G35 sedan just dislodged the BMW 330 as "best sedan", so.....

Anyway take a look at it.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:45 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I wouldn't have the Beetle (not enough cubes, quality no where near the "German" standard of Audi or MB), and the Audi Too Tiny doesn't impress me (not even remotely practical, IMO, and it's quite a bit out of the price range of the other three).

The G35 is an intriguing option, but it shares the same engine as in the 350Z, at a slightly detuned level, I believe (the Z is 287hp, isn't the G35 260hp?). Not sure I'd pick the G35 over the 350Z. They're different cars, images, etc.

I'd have to option the Coupe to about $31K to make me bite on one, and the 350Z should be nicely equipped at that price point, too. For me, the choice would be among these two. I'd get the Auto in the Coupe, but probably the manny in the 350Z.

You're looking at four fine cars, regardless. (Well, OK, you're looking at three fine cars, subtracting the beetle)

Last edited by MB-BOB; 07-23-2002 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Have you thought any about the Audi A4 or VW Passat or Jetta...originally before I bought my coupe I was considering the A4, S4, TT and the SLK...decided to go practical and got the coupe...I'll get the toy car when this one is paid off...besides, I can get tickets well enough with the coupe which is still faster than my previous car, an Impala. Which btw, was a very nice car and for a family sedan the LS has all the room you could want, but I digress...I'm definitely very happy w/ my C230 and I'll probably stick w/ MB for my next few cars based on my happiness w/ this one.

Just a note, you do realize that the TT is just a suped up VW Beetle right?

dave
Old 07-24-2002, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Interesting discussion.

I was in a similar situation... I needed a car with a back seat, but was still fun to drive, and safe. The C230Kompressor fit the bill perfectly.

I considered and drove the Mini Cooper S, the Audi A4 and TT, the C230K, Acura RSX, the WRX, and several used cars(Ive wanted a 928S4 for years).

The Mini was an absolute hoot to drive, fast, handled well, very unique car. But then the *******s starting asking $4000 over list!!! Like it or not, 28K is too much cash for the Mini...way, way too much.

The Audi A4 was a very nice car, but I didn't want a four door yet.

The TT's back seat is a joke, and its way overpriced, but I still love those cars. So the TT was out.

The Acura was classic Honda...competent car, but bland. A Civic with a very eager motor, lackluster styling(looks way too much like a Cavalier Coupe), and an oddly styled interior made of reasonably good quality materials. And the back seat was small, and the Type S motor really needs to be revved.

The WRX was a lot of fun to drive, and had eye popping accelleration...but it was loud inside, the interior was rather cheap feeling and looking, and its styling borders on ugly..although I like its funky eyeball look better than the boring look of the Acura. Great fun to drive...ultimately, the fact that its a four door, and wierd looking, took it off my list.

The C230K Ive been interested in for about a year now, finally got it last week! I love it. The back seat is huge for this type of car, and pricewise, I think its a steal. Don't assume the C won't deliver in the turns, with the C7 package the car corners just as good or better than anything else I drove(save the TT). And its RWD! And the car is so unique, you'll get attention everywhere you go.

The Turbo S is a good deal for the money, but like someone else said, you'll see 20 more the same day you buy it...and a friend had a Beetle that was nothing but a lemon(left her stranded 4 times, twice on the Kennedy). I'm rather skeptical of the Mexican built V-dubs, quality wise.

I like the Z, but it has no back seat and I fully expect to see them everywhere you go once they appear en masse.

Have fun making the decision, it took me nearly a year to finally get the car I wanted in the first place

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comparisons; Audi TT, 350Z, Beetle Turbo S, and a MB Sports Coupe