C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Test Drive: C240 vs. C230 (long...)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C240
Test Drive: C240 vs. C230 (long...)

Hello all,

I just got my C240 back from the dealer after getting the passenger window replaced (but I'll save that for another post).

As a courtesy loaner from MBZ of Pleasanton, CA, I had the opportunity to finally drive an '02 C230K coupe (auto, C2,C7, capri blue) and see what all the hype is about from the majority of the posters in this c-class forum. I'm usually hooked-up with a new E-class or another C-sedan, but I wanted the C230K. I had the car for 6 full days and did what most people do to loaner/rental cars

I thought I'd share some of my opinions, especially to those of you considering purchasing either of these cars. Here's some head to head comparions, with some Car & Driver type commenatary, and my winner in "[ ]":

ENGINE:
The C230K engine has got a lot more pep, that's for sure. The engine wants to rev and has pretty smooth power throughout the entire bandwidth. The only drawback is that is VERY loud. My mom has a 99 C230K sedan, which I've driven several times, and I don't recall her car being as loud as this coupe. The C240 engine as most people know, is adequate at best, however is far more quiet, and inmo, is slighty smoother. There is a difference between 168hp and 192hp and you can definitely feel it (but hear too)... [C230K]

TRANSMISSION:
My car and the coupe are both autos. However I did notice that the C230K didn't have that much of a lag that the C240 does when gunning it from a dead stop, and with transmission in (1) My 240 seems to fish around for the right gear at times when kept in auto. I didn't experience that with the C230K. Touchshift downshifts and upshifts felt smoother on the C230K as well. [C230K]

DASHBOARD:
I didn't like the extra curve on the C230K's dashboard, nor the sporty carbon-fiber-like trim. The wood trim on the C240 looks a lot classier, especially with charcoal. [C240]

SEATS:
The seats in the C230K were firm and held me in the curves, probably because they were cloth. The pattern on the cloth seats and trim looked really cheap, sorry to say, no to mention they were fully manual. I'd expect more for $30K. At least for base price, the C240 gives you leather inserts and semi-auto seats. [C240]

RADIO:
The Bose system in the C230K is horrible. I've heard better stock AM/FM radios in Ford F-150 trucks. The front stage was horrible, I didn't hear a subwoofer at all, and the frequency response didn't sound like it got over 10K hz. I was very dissapointed. In fact, I think something was wrong with this car's radio because I've heard the Bose in a sedan and it was way better. My stock radio in the C240 sounds much better. [C240]

THE DRIVE:
I had fun driving the C230K, despite it's loud engine. It reminded me of my old CRX (even with the clear back trim), but with a lot more hp. To describe it a in a few words, the car is nimble w/a lot of pep. I was far more accelerator happy in the C230K. The panoramic sunroof is a nice touch as well.

After a few days, I missed my C240. When I finally got my car back yesterday, it felt soooo different. I missed the aesthetics of the interior of my car, with the leather seats and wood trim. When I drove home, I immediately missed the power of the coupe. I also realized that my car is really quiet, even with 18" rims and tires on it....

CONCLUSION:
Both cars have it's plusses and minuses. If you want speed, get the C230K. If you want plush, get the C240. If my calculations are correct, the MSRP price difference for comparably equipped cars is about $2000. That's the price you'll pay for premium leather, wood trim, and 2 more doors or the money you'll save for 2 less doors, cloth seats, but you'll have 192hp.

Car I'd drive down California Highway 1: C230K
Car I'd drive coast to coast: C240
Car I'd drive stock on Laguna Seca: C230K
Car I'd purchase (money not a factor): C32

I hope this helps any of you that are deciding between these 2 fine c-classes.

- Spin
Old 07-26-2002, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230K, 2001 Audi TT 225 Coupe
Well, it IS a sports coupe,

You are supposed to hear the engine (designed that way)-- but since I also own an Audi TT, I find the MB engine rather civilized and quiet. In fact, the MB experience with my C230 is quite quiet.

So if you are really dwelling on a coupe or sedan, drive them both -- each of us have a different noise tolerance.

As to the radio, well Bose does Blow in this version -- sounds best with Jazz.

If you ever purchase an Audi, you are definitely an A6 kind of person.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Re: Test Drive: C240 vs. C230 (long...)

It reminded me of my old CRX (even with the clear back trim), but with a lot more hp. [/B]
I agree with you - that's one of the reasons that I bought it. Still have the crx, though. How could you get rid of such a perfect car?

Real men don't listen to jazz.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:04 PM

Real men are comfortable with themselves

and don't give a **** what other people think
Old 07-26-2002, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: Re: Test Drive: C240 vs. C230 (long...)

Originally posted by tommy
Real men don't listen to jazz.
I hear, they eat squirrels and that tastes "just like chicken"
Old 07-26-2002, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in the opposite situation, I've owned a C-Coupe for a year and now have a C240 loaner and I've driven plenty of C320 loaners (14 loaners since new). The C240 builds momentum like a locomotive slowly and steadily, it can certainly use the 6 spd and that may make it more fun to drive. The seats remind me of the old MB Tex I had on previous 190s. I've always prefered cloth and think the coupes cloth is very upscale and not the fake mouse fur that GM is famous for. The pattern on the Oyster doesn't bother me but I can see that it stands out a lot more on the charcoal interior. Price wise I think they are over 5k apart for 2002. Yes, you get half power seats and half leather but if you order full leather in the coupe or sedan or full power seats in both the price difference still remains at 5K, significant for me and would be enough for me to look at alternatives like the Audi A4, BMW 325i and Jag X.

The radio in the Coupe is it's worst attribute. Luckily the standard radio outside N. America, the Audio 10 CD changes all that dramatically and the bass is incredible, better than a 10 speaker Bose setup in a sedan. It's hard to believe until you actually listen to one. I think it would even sound better in a sedan as they have more speakers.

As for the wood interior, they do sell a wood kit but I've yet to see one on a coupe. The aluminum is very similar to what comes on the C32 so some do not see that as a negative, personally I don't care either way, both are nice.

If I wanted to get an MB sedan I would without question get the C320 over the C240 or if all I could afford was the C240, I would get the 6 spd.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:35 PM

MB coupe.
Spindrome

Nice writeup. I haven't had the pleasure of driving anything but my C230K, as it has only 6000 km and hasn't needed to return to the dealer.

I enjoyed reading you comments.

Smoky
Old 07-26-2002, 02:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

sheesh, was kidding about the jazz thing - note

Haven't tried squirrel (knowingly).

I do agree about the radio - am always looking to turn it up higher. I've got the metra dash kit sitting around, just reminding me what I should be doing to my ccoupe. One day I'll gather up the courage to replace the stereo with a cd/mp3 player, probably a Blau or Alpine. I simply cannot get around the possible warranty issues yet.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sheesh, was kidding about the jazz thing - note

Haven't tried squirrel (knowingly).

I do agree about the radio - am always looking to turn it up higher. I've got the metra dash kit sitting around, just reminding me what I should be doing to my ccoupe. One day I'll gather up the courage to replace the stereo with a cd/mp3 player, probably a Blau or Alpine. I simply cannot get around the possible warranty issues yet.
Get the Audio 10, it has the indash CD, hugely improved sound, all the functionality is there, steering wheel controls, MFD, RDS and you keep the warranty, no cut wires, no mess, no hassle on resale. Would an MP3 player be better, yes but at what cost?
Old 07-26-2002, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
thats weird, I think my stereo sounds great. of course I hardly ever listen to it and my ear is not trained to know a great stereo when i hear it anyway. I have the Bose option
Old 07-26-2002, 03:12 PM

Wink Heck, radio sound isn't everything

Just listen to more jazz I just put it to ambient or turn up the bass and treble.

I would spend money on more useful items like pulleys, hids, bodykits, and chips
Old 07-26-2002, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450, Sienna SE
Originally posted by Smoky
Spindrome

Nice writeup... I enjoyed reading your comments.

Smoky
I second that. Very nice writeup. When I bought my car I knew what I wanted. A part of me still longs for the C coupe (sportier more potential, fun factor) though.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

I don't know - I'm so used to my crx's stereo, which is really good, and most importantly, doesn't get drowned out when all of the windows are down and the sunroof's open (since I keep them open 9 months of the year). Can the A10 deal with that?

I'm still guessing that it wouldn't be loud enough for me, to tell you the truth. I really don't use the steering wheel controls anyway, though the display is nice. I'm at 14k right now, so I'm 30% through the warranty. I'll either grin and bear it until the end of the warranty, or redo the entire system, and take my chances. I should drive on over to Hope, and hijack James' car to see how I like the A10, to be sure.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't know - I'm so used to my crx's stereo, which is really good, and most importantly, doesn't get drowned out when all of the windows are down and the sunroof's open (since I keep them open 9 months of the year). Can the A10 deal with that?
Wow, you drive with windows and sunroof open 9 months out of the year. The weather here just isn't that good, the sun shines on too many days to keep the sunroof open. If I had a sunroof there's only 2 months out of the year where I would keep it open, May and June when the sun doesn't come out till late in the afternoon if at all.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:24 PM

2001 C240
bottom line...

If MBZ made a C230K sedan, with a stock CD player (Audio 10), I'd be a happy camper.

Real men listen to funk....
Old 07-26-2002, 05:35 PM

2001 C240
Re: Well, it IS a sports coupe,

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Duffer
[B]You are supposed to hear the engine (designed that way)-- but since I also own an Audi TT, I find the MB engine rather civilized and quiet. In fact, the MB experience with my C230 is quite quiet.

Don't get me wrong Duffer. I like engine "noise", but there's a significant difference between the sound of a Kompressor vs. a 911, 550 Maranello, or even an NSX.
Old 07-26-2002, 06:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I had the opportunity to try a loaner C240 while our ML was having its B service.

I was of course looking at the other way - comparing it to my C32.

The C240 drove pretty nicely, although it did not have much power ( ) It was quiet and held its own in traffic, but over 75 or so it was starting to wheeze a bit. The engine was a little quieter than on the C32. I'd like to try out a coupe and hear the difference. Handling was pretty good - but I did not push it at all.

Really, the main thing I noticed (and my wife noticed) - besides the power of course - was the lack of options that I had gotten used to - the power seats (this was a base 240), the xenon lights, etc. The leather was definitely not as nice as mine - it seemed thicker and "plasticky".

I didn't try the radio, but I am reasonably happy with the Comand / Bose radio in the C32.

Next time I'll see if they have a coupe! That'd be cool. Or a C320. Wanna trade for a quick trip around the block, MB-BOB? But I'd want to get my car back!
Old 07-26-2002, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: bottom line...

Originally posted by spindrome
If MBZ made a C230K sedan, with a stock CD player (Audio 10), I'd be a happy camper.

Real men listen to funk....
They did, a 2000 C230K sedan. Funk like Wild Cherry? Play that funky music white boy!
Old 07-26-2002, 07:07 PM

2001 C240
Re: Re: bottom line...

Originally posted by Buellwinkle

They did, a 2000 C230K sedan. Funk like Wild Cherry? Play that funky music white boy!
Yeah, my mom's got one. I guess I meant to say a W203, not a W202...

Funk = Parliament, Bar-Kay's, Ohio Players, Con Funk Shun, Sly&FS, Tower of Power, Average White Band, etc.

I don't know about one hit wonder Wild Cherry, but the song was kinda funky.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Had the C240 loaner for 5 days now. It grows on you. I like the extra doors in the back, made hauling to kids easier and the armrest with the popout cup holders are great. I wish they made a C230 sedan, I would get it if it was similarly priced to the coupe and had cloth interior & manual seats standard. The half power seat are annoying, they should have made the forward/backward adjustment electric instead of up/down. As for the motor, yes it makes slightly better sounds than the 4 cylinder but just as loud. You get used to the power once you know how to work the manu-matic but a 6 speed is what that car needs and a supercharger wouldn't hurt.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:59 PM

2008 Cayman S / 2002 C230
Re: Test Drive: C240 vs. C230 (long...)

Originally posted by spindrome
Hello all,

I just got my C240 back from the dealer after getting the passenger window replaced (but I'll save that for another post).

As a courtesy loaner from MBZ of Pleasanton, CA, I had the opportunity to finally drive an '02 C230K coupe (auto, C2,C7, capri blue) and see what all the hype is about from the majority of the posters in this c-class forum. I'm usually hooked-up with a new E-class or another C-sedan, but I wanted the C230K. I had the car for 6 full days and did what most people do to loaner/rental cars

- Spin
hey spin, i was just wondering if they always give you a benz loaner in pleasanton.. we always take our car to the mbenz at the automall, and they give us crap cars everytime, even when we take the S430 in... Unfortunately for us, the mbenz in pleasanton has not given us great service, fremont has always treated us with respect, and dignity, however whenever we go to pleasanton, we have been ignored and some of the people have been flat out rude to us... i was just wondering if you had this same experience
Old 07-31-2002, 07:02 PM

2001 C240
Re: Re: Test Drive: C240 vs. C230 (long...)

Originally posted by p010sp0rt8

hey spin, i was just wondering if they always give you a benz loaner in pleasanton.. we always take our car to the mbenz at the automall, and they give us crap cars everytime, even when we take the S430 in... Unfortunately for us, the mbenz in pleasanton has not given us great service, fremont has always treated us with respect, and dignity, however whenever we go to pleasanton, we have been ignored and some of the people have been flat out rude to us... i was just wondering if you had this same experience
Actually, I always got an MBZ loaner, usually an E320. There was a time that I got an Enterprise beater, but it was just for a day.

As for the service advisors, I always stick to one guy, Lance Nunes. He's the type of guy that goes out of his way to take care of things. He's even known to call customers even on his day off to let them know their car is ready for pickup.

In general, I never had any issues with the service @ MBZ of Pleasanton. What is ironic though is that my car has been in service for a total of 25 or so days for various reasons (replaced rear window, passenger window, radio, cupholder, driver vent, etc).... I guess MBZ service makes up for the fact that my car has been in the shop a LOT.

To contrast, my wife's honda has never been in service for anything, but Honda dealers dont give out loaner cars, nor do they wash your car when completed...

hmmm....
Old 07-31-2002, 08:51 PM

2008 Cayman S / 2002 C230
i c... maybe it's because most of the time when we go in for service it's day to day... thanks for the info tho..