C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Rear Folding Seats/Ski Luggage Pass Through Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Folding Seats/Ski Luggage Pass Through Question

Hey Guys-
As an option on my '05 SS I got the 60/40 seats but not the ski pass-through, however, now I need to have the pass through to haul my skis for an East Coast ski trip.

I looked at the back of the seat and the inside of the seat, it appears that if you remove the torq screws on the backside (trunk) you can pull off the plastic piece that and then put skis/wood, etc. through there.

I have attached pictures of the backside (trunk) of the seat as well as the inside of the seat with the armrest down.

Does anyone know if removing this plastic plate will allow for a direct pass through from the trunk to the cabin?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Backside w/ Torq screws:

Inside of car with armrest down:
Old 01-31-2006, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Curious as to why you haven't just done it to find out?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:56 PM

Because I do not have the Torq wrenches and before spending the time/money to do this wanted to know if anyone has tried before.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:57 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 c240 wagon
retrofit has been a major effort, for what it is worth.

I don't think this works quite like you are thinking.

I am in the process of getting the ski bag added to my '03 c240 wagon and it has been a huge effort. The arm rest had to be replaced to accommodate the new opening. Most of the other parts where replaced as well.

I think the brackets and parts have had to be reordered several time. The dealer told me that they had to combine two kits from separate years to make it all work.

At that point, I was thinking of just cutting a hole in the plastic to let the skis pass through, but couldn't come up with a way to keep it looking really nice, so I bit the bullet and had them do the real deal.

If you have questions, I can talk to the techs to see what they might be able to answer since they are all too familiar with this install now.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:31 PM

Now I am just saying....

From what I see in the picture I don't see what the issue is in making some sort of hole and since I don't know about skiing, can't you just buy a ski bag or make a bag to put the skis in to keep the interior from getting dirty?

It just doesn't seem like it should be that complicated. But like I said, I am just saying. And how much could a set of cheap wrenches cost?
Old 02-01-2006, 08:27 PM

AK S203-

Thanks for your help, I ended up buying some screw-heads and opening it up and found out the same thing, it should be simple...but it's not. Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, what is the dealer charging you for this?

mkmojay-
I could just fold down the seats and pass the ski's through with the ski bag on, however, that basically makes the rear seat only good for one passenger...and since there are four of us going on the ski-trip in 1 car the pass through would allow for 4 people to sit comfortably.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
roof ski racks can be fashionable...
Old 02-01-2006, 11:03 PM

Yes, but not to the wallet. Plus, I don't ski enough on the East Coast/withing driving distance for purchasing a roof rack to be cost-efficient.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally Posted by Turbo2
Yes, but not to the wallet. Plus, I don't ski enough on the East Coast/withing driving distance for purchasing a roof rack to be cost-efficient.
Well, I was only slightly teasing. The expense of properly fitting the mod to the back seat that is used only once or twice and then is otherwise invisible... will cost almost as much as a roof rack, if not more.

Others have tried this pass through mod before and found it not easy, or cheap.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 c240 wagon
Hi Turbo,

I just got my car back and it was 4 hours at 94 dollars and about $300 for the ski bag kit. So it was around $675. It probably could be less, but part of the price was to try to discourage me to have it done, since it was adding it to a cert. pre-owned rather than adding it at the factory as an option.

I do have a Yak Rack that I use for the bikes, but getting road grit on a great pair of skis is a similar experience to having door dings and scratches in your expensive to repair mercedes paint job.

I took some pictures last night so I will post them tonight when I get home and you can see what I ended up with.

Most of you probably think I'm crazy to do this, but I ski from Halloween until early April so I have skis in the car all the time. Skis don't fit well in the back of a c wagon without the ski bag.

It took 103 days to get this install completed, so they gave me a 2005 c wagon while they had my car and lobbing the skis over the back seat was a real pain (especially during hard stops).
Old 02-02-2006, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C300, sport, black/black
Originally Posted by AK*S203*owner
It took 103 days to get this install completed, so they gave me a 2005 c wagon while they had my car and lobbing the skis over the back seat was a real pain (especially during hard stops).
This really took over three monhts to install?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:37 AM

AK-

Thanks for the info., a little too pricey and too long an install for me. Thanks for the update though and hope your happy with it!

Lowell
Old 02-03-2006, 03:00 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 c240 wagon
103 days, it really did take that long to complete

The big snag was that the rear seat had to be removed and the leather had to be cut and resewn to fit the new contour. Living in Alaska, we have one guy who anyone trusts to sew the seat and he wanted pictures from the assembly folks in Germany before he cut into the seat.

Personally, I would have mailed the seat to the factory and had them alter it or trade it out, but I had a loaner for over 3 months so I wasn't complaining.

The team at MB of Anchorage was great and they played the game the best they could. I have to admit that I was sure happy to get my car back, though.

I know most wouldn't go through what I endured, but I ski so much, that this is a great investment for me personally. I skimpped on performance to get some of these other features, but the car is perfect for what I do, so I'm thrilled.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Folding Seats/Ski Luggage Pass Through Question-frontview001.jpg   Rear Folding Seats/Ski Luggage Pass Through Question-frontview002.jpg   Rear Folding Seats/Ski Luggage Pass Through Question-frontview003.jpg   Rear Folding Seats/Ski Luggage Pass Through Question-frontview004.jpg   Rear Folding Seats/Ski Luggage Pass Through Question-rearview001.jpg  

Old 02-03-2006, 08:10 AM

That is nice, glad your happy with it!
Old 02-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Jkw

2004.5 C 230
Originally Posted by Turbo2
I could just fold down the seats and pass the ski's through with the ski bag on, however, that basically makes the rear seat only good for one passenger...and since there are four of us going on the ski-trip in 1 car the pass through would allow for 4 people to sit comfortably.
Dude, your not going to be able to fit 4 pair of ski's through that whole,
not to mention gear for 4 people in your trunk. Rent a trunk for the weekend even w/ a roof rack it will be tight.
Good Luck Jkw
Old 02-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 c240 wagon
I agree with JKW if you are talking about downhill (alpine) skis. It MIGHT fit three paris with some effort (tails first), as the newer skis are much fatter at the tip and tail than what I normally use.

For me, I am a nordic skier (most folks call it cross-country) and I find I can fit up to 6 pairs in there, if I do it carefully.

The bag keeps the klister off of the nice surfaces. Unfortunately, with the warming trend, we have had more icy snow and rain in the past 5 years than ever before so I'm finding my skis coated with the sticky stuff more often than I would like to admit. Its nice to be able to keep the mess inside of the bag.