C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Engine oil question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 10:43 PM
Deb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K Sport Coupe
Engine oil question

Hi Guys and Gals,
A question for my automotive whiz friends from an admitted automotive wuss: After 5000+ miles, my 2002 C230K Coupe told me it wanted 1.5 quarts of oil, so I got out my Factory Approved Service Products booklet (dated June 2001) and read the list of engine oils. Since the Sears automotive store and my grocery store :p didn't carry any oils on the list, I went to Napa Auto Parts (the best stocked auto store within an hour's drive of me) and bought Mobil 1 SuperSyn 15W-50 (fully synthetic motor oil). Is that the same as Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 15W-50, which is at the top of MB's approved oil list? The clerk didn't know so he called Mobil and they said the name had been changed and that it was equivalent. I guess what I'm really asking is does it matter which oil I put in the car as long as it is an oil from the approved list?

BTW, I drive in a semi-tropical climate, generaly 45-55 mph, maybe 4 times per week. So the car sits alot, does minimal work and certainly doesn't over exert itself. Since I don't know which oil is presently in the car, I just bought the one at the top of the list of 11 acceptable oils. Thanks for your thoughts or suggestions. I haven't put the oil in yet and can change it for a different weight.
Deb
Old 08-02-2002, 11:08 PM

190 2.3 and C320
You did right--it's good oil.
Old 08-03-2002, 12:32 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Deb, your oil purchase was fine. You can't do much better than Mobil 1.

However, since your buggy is less than a year old, you could run by the dealer and they should top it off (for free). Keep the quart at home and pack it along on trips for emergencies.
Old 08-03-2002, 11:39 AM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
Thanks, Guys, for the info. MB-Bob, my dealership is a good hour and a half drive (one way) from me or I would try your suggestion. I will, however, start carrying a quart of oil with me in case my C gets thirsty.
Deb
Old 08-03-2002, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
AmsOil

Does the AmsOil website still have the link to Jesus?

What a product endorsement that would be.

No I am not kidding - there was such a thing about a year ago...
Old 08-03-2002, 11:55 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by Deb
Thanks, Guys, for the info. MB-Bob, my dealership is a good hour and a half drive (one way) from me or I would try your suggestion. I will, however, start carrying a quart of oil with me in case my C gets thirsty.
Deb
Deb, I'm sure you've thought of this, but you can visit any MB dealer to have your oil topped off. (I bought my car from a dealer 700 miles away.) So, if you're passing one on the road to point "B" and have the time, you can drop in...
Old 08-04-2002, 12:20 AM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
Guide wire??

MB-Bob, yeah, I got the idea, but my dealership is the closest one to me, that's why I bought from them. I live on an island and we have to drive to the mainland for any of those Big City type conveniences. BTW, I added a quart of oil today, no problem. But I was wondering if the cable attached to the oil filler cap is designed to act as a guide for the oil if a steady-handed person tried to pour the oil in directly and slowly (that is without a funnel)? I used a funnel, but wondered about the guide wire, if that is what it is meant to be.
Deb
Old 08-04-2002, 01:20 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Good question, Deb, but me no habla 4-banger C230K. The oil filler cap in my V6 doesn't have a tether, I think. I know I don't have a dipstick!
Old 08-04-2002, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Guide wire? I know for sure I don't have one of those.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
As I was adding oil to my car today (added 0.5L after 4900 miles for those of you keeping score ), I remembered this thread. My oil filler cap doesn't have a guide wire, but if oil were added into the dipstick tube, pulling the dipstick out part way would certainly look like a guide wire.

Cheers, BT
Old 08-14-2002, 02:55 PM

2002 C230
No guide wire here either. However, the oil filler cap and dipstick ARE mislabled in the picture on page 318 of the manual. Mechanical newbies relying solely on the manual might be led astray. Although in this case no real harm done either way.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:49 PM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
Originally posted by gator
No guide wire here either. However, the oil filler cap and dipstick ARE mislabled in the picture on page 318 of the manual. Mechanical newbies relying solely on the manual might be led astray. Although in this case no real harm done either way.
Well, Gator,
This ho-hum question is actually getting interesting. Now I'm hearing that I actually poured oil in the non-existent dipstick spout??? I thought I read repeatedly in this forum that there is no dipstick for the C230k, therefore I depended on the computer oil measurement. And, true to my sig., I used my manual to see where to put the oil. Mislabeled you say...! Gad, this could have been serious.
Guidewire, indeed :o . So is there really a dipstick, and if so, how come all the threads about no dipstick or having to buy one specially from the dealer? I'm confused.
Thanks,
Deb
Old 08-15-2002, 02:50 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
well, i just have my oil changed few days ago. i have called my dealer to ask them about the oil grade that i should use and MB recommands. the response was to use the Mobil one 20W50 oil, but i had mine changed with Mobil one 15W50. i don't think that will matter that much.

anyway...just want to know that DID MB recommand 20W50 or 15W50?
Old 08-15-2002, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by Deb
This ho-hum question is actually getting interesting. Now I'm hearing that I actually poured oil in the non-existent dipstick spout??? I thought I read repeatedly in this forum that there is no dipstick for the C230k, therefore I depended on the computer oil measurement. And, true to my sig., I used my manual to see where to put the oil. Mislabeled you say...! Gad, this could have been serious.
Guidewire, indeed :o . So is there really a dipstick, and if so, how come all the threads about no dipstick or having to buy one specially from the dealer? I'm confused.
There is a dipstick on the C230K (probably only the 2002 version ); the C240 and C320s are dipstick free (well maybe some of the drivers count - sorry, couldn't resist :p). The dipstick is of a different design than I have ever enountered before. Instead of a flat piece of metal - or rigid wire attached to a flat piece of metal - the M111 motor dispstick is a semi-rigid steel cable that's rather long - pull it all the way out and there is an orange plastic attachment that tells you the oil level. When reinserting it you can feel it twist and turn as it follows it's passageway back to the sump - which is probably the reason for the odd design. By the way, there is about a 2-quart difference between the bottom and top of the measurement section (courtesy of avlis, I think).

Enjoy measuring the oil the old fasioned way.

Originally posted by FrankW
anyway...just want to know that DID MB recommand 20W50 or 15W50?
The little booklet that came with the C230K recommends 15W50 - I don't know if the C32 would be different.

Cheers, BT

Last edited by trench; 08-15-2002 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: AmsOil

Originally posted by Mike T.
Does the AmsOil website still have the link to Jesus?

What a product endorsement that would be.

No I am not kidding - there was such a thing about a year ago...
Actually, I'm quite surprised it hasn't even been mentioned on this board! I know a lot of poeple who swear by AmsOli, even admitting that Mobil 1 is a close second...
Old 08-15-2002, 08:03 PM

190 2.3 and C320
Some people promote Amsoil with the fervor of a religious belief. Too much energy spent on a motor oil.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:49 PM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
Originally posted by trench

There is a dipstick on the C230K (probably only the 2002 version ); the C240 and C320s are dipstick free (well maybe some of the drivers count - sorry, couldn't resist :p). The dipstick is of a different design than I have ever enountered before. Instead of a flat piece of metal - or rigid wire attached to a flat piece of metal - the M111 motor dispstick is a semi-rigid steel cable that's rather long - pull it all the way out and there is an orange plastic attachment that tells you the oil level. When reinserting it you can feel it twist and turn as it follows it's passageway back to the sump - which is probably the reason for the odd design. By the way, there is about a 2-quart difference between the bottom and top of the measurement section (courtesy of avlis, I think).

Enjoy measuring the oil the old fasioned way.

Cheers, BT

Thanks, BT, for clarifying that for me. Boy, do I feel dumb. I think we definitely established that my c coupe has two dipsticks I actually had my owner's manual under the hood with me when I was trying figure out where the oil went, because I just didn't believe that that little tube could be the filler tube. However, I believed my manual...silly me. With 3 university degrees and 30 years work experience, I think I'd better take a shop class. Would you believe that I spent 30 minutes on the phone with an engineer today discussing monitoring of fuel consumption and emissions of diesel generators? Scary, huh?
Deb aka Dipstick
Old 08-16-2002, 12:17 AM

2002 C230
Don't be so hard on yourself, Deb. At least you are under the hood, trying to do the right thing. IMHO everyone needs to spend some time learning about their MB engine (especially the 2.3), awesome engineering and attention to detail, it's half the fun of owning an MB.