C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Where is the coupe's Bose AMP (no not the sub...)???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 06:43 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 K /// Brilliant Silver / C1 / C5 / C7 / 6 Spd.
Where is the coupe's Bose AMP (no not the sub...)???

Today a friend and I pulled out my Bose system from my coupe. We took out the headunit, center speaker, all four 6 1/2"s, both tweeters, and the subwoofer encloser/casing. Before we started this, we were under the impression that the amp was built into the sub...well suprise...it's not. We were ripping apart my car trying to find it and had no luck.

Does anyone know for certain where the amp is and how do you get to it?
Old 08-03-2002, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is supposed to be on the other side, between the left quarter panel and the left cargo compartment wall.
Old 08-03-2002, 08:02 PM
Almost a Member!

My friend looked all through that area and there was nothing that looked like an amp. There is a fuse box there under the medical kit but that is it. Where did you hear that that was where it was?
Old 08-03-2002, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Unforetunately, I don't remember where I read that. But I do remember that the source said it is on the left behind the seat, between the panels.
Old 08-04-2002, 03:20 AM
Almost a Member!

Can anyone else verify the exact location?
Old 08-04-2002, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
can you possibly post instructions for speaker removal? i think i'm going to replace mine within the next few months.
Old 08-04-2002, 02:17 PM
Almost a Member!

The speaker removal was not as difficult as I thought. Search the W203 forum for "door panel removal". It gives step by step instructions to take off each door panel.

Once they are off you simply use a torx screw driver to remove the speakers.

The tweeter enclosure simply pops off and the tweeter pops out.

For the center speaker, just jam a screw driver down along the sides of the triangluar shaped grill in your dash. Then pry upwards. YOu have to do this in about 5 different spots on there and it will pop out. You don't have to worry about the screwdriver huring the dash as it is soft and leaves no marks after you pry that thing off. Once that's off you use a torx to pull out the speaker enclosure and just pop out the speaker.

For the sub, first pull the thin sidewall off so you can see the entire subwoofer. On the sides and bottom you will see a total of three different points where you must use a ratchet to losen the sub from the body.

That's it. Now if anyone could just tell me that they know for sure where the Bose amp is that would be great...

Jakobud
Old 08-04-2002, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
FWIW, just another guess as to where the amp is (if one exists at all): A lot of heat comes out of the ash tray area so I'm wondering if it buried under console near the ashtray.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No promises but theres an amp looking gizmo between the rear seat and the spare tire.
Old 08-04-2002, 09:30 PM
Almost a Member!

I FOUND IT! wow. What an ordeal....the Bose Amplifier is located directly below the Rear Passenger Side 'side' Airbag. Like if you are sitting in the back seat on the passenger side, the amp is directly to your right. Suprisingly, there is a good deal of space in there. It was a huge pain to figure out how to remove that panel too. I actually can't get it completely off. It's hinged up top near the window and I can't seem to get it loose. But this allows me to at least pull most of the back so I can stick my head in there and losen/remove the amp...

When I add an aftermarket amp to my system I'm gonna have to remember that this is a good place to fit on in...nice and hidden with just enough room.

Well...thanks for the guesswork guys. Just thought I would post this for other folk's benefit.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:50 AM
Almost a Member!

jakobud:

can u post a pix of where u found dat amp? coz i can't find it on my C320 (it may not be the same.......) thanx

or anyone found the bose amp on their seden yet?
Old 08-06-2002, 11:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Well I'm not sure if a picture will help, since your c320 is a four door and mine is a two door. This is the best way to describe it's location:

Look in the back seat of the coupe. Look at the passenger side. See the side SRS SIDE airbag? The amp is behind the panel ~8" below the airbag. It's mounted vertially with the heatsink fins facing outward toward the outside of the car with the wiring harness on the top of it.

The way I found it was by following the speaker wires. I knew all their colors. I removed the long passenger side plastic door seal (at the bottom next to the metal piece that says "Mercedes Benz"). I saw all of the speaker wires for all the front speakers there. So I knew the amp was behind all that. And I didn't see those same wires in the rear by the sub, yet the sub wires went forward. So I knew the amp was somewhere inbetween. It was sort of trial and error.

If all else fails just call the dealer and talk to someone in the service center and ask them for the exact location of the amp. I tried this but it was the weekend and the service dept wasnt open or something.

Jakobud
Old 12-04-2002, 02:31 AM

Jakobud, how easy do you think it would be to put in an aftermarket amp in that location? Is there something I could fasten the amp to? How is the Bose amp fastened?
Old 01-02-2008, 07:57 PM

C 220 CDI Sportcoupe 2005
Good job! an Happy new year.

I´m new user from Spain, nice to meet you.
I have the same problem: how to remove the rear side panel, don´t want to broke anythink. I´m goin to install a Tv tuner on the back and need to connect the optical fiber to the amplifier better that Comand. (near).
Can you simply explain the steps to remove the panels?
Thank you very much.
Javier Lopez
Old 01-02-2008, 08:01 PM

c230 coupe
i thaught the bose amp was in the left door panel