C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Considering purchasing a C280? Equipment Level?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering purchasing a C280? Equipment Level?

Guys, I was considering purchasing a C280 4-matic with no options. I was just wondering, how well equiped would you say a non-optioned C280 is. The reason that I'm asking is that the base price on the C280 4-matic is already stretching my budget but it would be my dream to own my very own brand newMercedes, and I need the 4wd (I live in the Northeast), however I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on luxuries by getting a car with no options since I am in the market for a luxury sedan.

I'm also considering an Acura tsx w/ navigation, fully loaded VW gli, jaguar X-type, BMW 325xi, Volvo s40, and the Saab 9-3 aero.

The TSX and the C280 are my two top choices right now and are on opposite ends of the spectrum, the Acura (as well as the VW) has the least prestigious name-plate but offers the best value as far as equipment level for the dollar. The Mercedes and BMW are the most expensive but also are the most prestigious (I like the Mercedes exterior styling better though).
Old 03-18-2006, 10:26 PM

2006 C280 4matic, Capri Blue
I just bought a 06 c280 4matic myself about 3 weeks ago. options were sunrrof package, electric seats and steering wheel, teleaid, sirius radio, cd changer.

now i could care less about the sirius and cd changer. but wanted the other three for sure. If i had to choose between the three options i would keep the the sunroof package for sure.

the trick is of you can find a car with only the options you want. I couldnt so when it came time to negotiate a price i told them i would take the car but only if i didnt pay for the siruis and cd changer, wich took 1000 off the price right away. They did it without blinking.

without the sunroof package the car is pretty plain. i dont think id even consider one without it.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
well as said in the other thread, my brother is considering a 280 4mat and hes trying to get Bix, nav, hk, heated seats, and split rear fold, or just a stock c350

I suggest you DEF get the Bix, nav and heated seats, u'll regret not getting it, just like how I regreted the Bix and nav, I ended up getting aftermarket ones, suckssssss
Old 03-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
i believe heated seats are standard in the 4-matics. not positive tho. A lot of people regret not getting BIX. Most people probably get the sunroof package.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:16 AM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
I think we are getting away from his question...

I think he was more curious about what he would get feature-wise with simply a C280 4matic - no added options, because his budget is already stretched...

Well there are two schools of thought on this one. One angle is if you are considering purchasing (and keeping it for a long time) your probably better off without many extra add-ons... less stuff to go wrong/repair down the road.

Stock, the vehicle comes with very nice wood trim inside with metal accents on some pieces of wood in the center console (around the radio), etc. Leather seating surfaces are quite suitable instead of full leather upholstry - in fact, its difficult to find full leather in a C-class - most people do not opt for this. Heated seats are standard with the 4matic package (they clump it as a winter package). You get a nice set of features/fun toys with the standard non-option upgraded vehicle. Tunnel mode on the windows, IR opening/closing of windows from outside the vehicle, cruise control of course, automatic on/off headlamps, rear power-retractable headrests, foglights, rear air vents, touch turn signals (tap the right/left signal stalk and it signals 3 times for quick lane changes), etc etc etc...

IMHO, you really must add on the sunroof package which gives you the sunroof, rear-window sunshade and rain-sensing windshield wipers. Bix headlights are not really needed (and some people have complained about noise on these forums with them), the command navigation system had a history of needing replacement after a few years and as being glitchy - so you can do without this as well unless you really want navigation. Other things like CD changer can be added later...the stock stereo system is quite good - the harmon kardon is better (in my opinion), but not neccessarily a better thats "worth the cost". Ironically, because of acoustics the harmon kardon seems to sound best on Logic7 surround mode with the sunroof fully open.

So... if you are a gadgety type of person, you may not be as pleased with the Mercedes "stock" as an Acura or Audi or VW, etc... but the way the C280 handles, the feel of driving it - the security that Mercedes puts into their cars are well worth the price and fewer features in my opinion. My C280 was hit in an accident the second month I had it back in the fall... the guy turned into me almost flooring his BMW and all I felt was a big bump..point of impact was the front driver's side tire... The car has been repaired and it handles and performs just like new - and I'm still considering buying this car out of the lease even with the accident - so that tells you something about these cars. For a luxury class of car, the Mercedes C280 can't be beat... if you like sportier look at the C230 for its sport suspension, etc... but no 4matic is available on that model.

I hope I've helped a little,
- Eric
Old 03-20-2006, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Eric above hits all the fine points, but I would think carefully how necessary AWD is to your winter happiness. I remember a time when only Jeeps had 4WD, and everyone in New England got around fine. If your budget is thin, consider European delivery. They will knock 7% off MSRP and delete the destination charge. You would probably need to special order the car anyhow, because most come with a sunroof, CD, and optional paint. What could be nicer than a trip on the Autobahn in a brand new Benz?

Watch the incentives on Edmunds.com, and talk to the SoCal dealers (some are sponsors) about a deal.

Your other choices are good cars, but everyone you know will think your Mercedes cost $90,000.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Oh, one more thing about navigation. The Mercedes system is wonderful, if this was 1992. There are so many systems now for a fraction of the cost, that do a much better job.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:56 AM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
If the budget is tight, I think a no-option C280 would be just fine. All the essentials are there.

A lot of people like the sunroof, but I ordered my car without it. My reasons?
First, a non-sunroof MB has almost 2 inches additional headroom inside; this is a real factor for me since I am tall.
Second, the sunroof costs about $1800.
Third, a sunroof will have problems later in life; squeeks, rattles, leaks, etc. Repairs tend to be expensive.
Fourth, there are some safety and security questions about the sunroof.

Heated seats are wonderful. I bought them, even though they were about $600. Personal choice there.

Xenon lights are great, but expensive. Maintenance costs are still unknown. I would delete them if on a tight budget. Replace regular headlight bulbs with PIAA or equivalent.

Avoid features such as navigation, phones, etc. Expensive and soon obsolete.

Full leather upholstery is not needed. The base interior (leather seat inserts) is just fine. Visually it is very hard to tell the difference.

If the budget is really tight, you might consider a C230 with manual transmission. These are a lot of fun, and nearly the performance of the C280. Of course, you don't get the AWD.

Last, but not least, order your car in white, black, or red. Metallic paint is about $700.

I think the Mercedes C-Class is the most visually attractive of all the choices you mentioned. Good luck!

Last edited by alpinweiss; 03-20-2006 at 12:11 PM.