C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Sprint Booster - Car behaving like a monster and hungry for speed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by Mu9enx
damn, so they don't sell it anymore [for a good price]
If you look hard enough you can probably find it from a supplier in Greece!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 c230
Originally Posted by ctC230K
If you look hard enough you can probably find it from a supplier in Greece!

stateside sprintboosters here

just contact them and give em your y/m/m.

NO affiliations...............
Old 01-23-2008, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by esemes
stateside sprintboosters here

just contact them and give em your y/m/m.

NO affiliations...............
nice! cheap too!!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
i know the site suggests they have them in stock- be sure to confirm that as well as an arrival date when they say it's not in stock
Old 01-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Banned

'05 c230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
This seems like the longest thread concerning this Sprint Booster, so I thought I'd chime in with some info I read in other threads:

People having problems with the car not moving at all!

Lowest price sold so far is $200.

Someone reported that gas mileage plumeted pretty seriously. He reset the ECU and I believe things are fine now, but haven't confirmed. I wrote him a PM just a moment ago.

Some say that it wears out the transmission and belts hella much.

Another guy had an experience with it skipping gears!

Supposedly the Sprint Booster increases the throttle response, but also when you let go of the gas, it comes to a halt much more quickly.

Last edited by zoomie; 01-28-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

I just started a topic on this before I saw this one, but I absolutley love this thing. I bought it from TVT Design for 260.00 plus shipping. This car is so much more responsive now, and that's the best deal I've been able to find.

I absolutely love it!
Old 01-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Banned

Why I sold my Sprint Booster

I've heard great things about this thing and bad things. Here's a thread for all of you who tried it but didn't like it. Why did you decide to remove it and sell it?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:28 PM

2006 C230SS & 2009 E350
I love it, worked great. Reason to sell was to save my mpg. It killed my mpg big time.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:12 PM

06' C230SS
http://frontiernet.net/~dbipes//spri...intBooster.pdf
who ever posted that thanks! what a great read!

allow me to quote the final conclusion, "The Sprint Booster is a simple amplifier that multiplies the accelerator pedal sensor signal, making the accelerator pedal feel more sensitive. It does NOT eliminate any signifcant delay in throttle response, nor does it greatly improve acceleration figures. It does NOT change the adaptive throttle control programming of electronic trottle control vehicles. It DOES change pedal "feel". This change in feel is interpreted by some as improved throttle repsonse, acceleration, and a change in adaptive throttle control programming. Considering what it actually does, it's expensive"

I'm NOT buying one. :-P
Old 01-28-2008, 05:21 PM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
Originally Posted by 06c230hwd
http://frontiernet.net/~dbipes//spri...intBooster.pdf
who ever posted that thanks! what a great read!

allow me to quote the final conclusion, "The Sprint Booster is a simple amplifier that multiplies the accelerator pedal sensor signal, making the accelerator pedal feel more sensitive. It does NOT eliminate any signifcant delay in throttle response, nor does it greatly improve acceleration figures. It does NOT change the adaptive throttle control programming of electronic trottle control vehicles. It DOES change pedal "feel". This change in feel is interpreted by some as improved throttle repsonse, acceleration, and a change in adaptive throttle control programming. Considering what it actually does, it's expensive"

I'm NOT buying one. :-P
I hope you are making all of these deductions after actually having driven a vehicle equipped with it. If so, then I can respect your opinion highly, however, if not, your definition is just mommy's apron to hide behind while trying to prove your point. I spent $200 to alter the feel of my car and it puts a smile on my face every time I step on the gas. I spent $30K on a fancy motorcycle that still hasn't produced that same smile. $200 well spent my friend.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:30 PM

06' C230SS
Originally Posted by Jay9722
I hope you are making all of these deductions after actually having driven a vehicle equipped with it. If so, then I can respect your opinion highly, however, if not, your definition is just mommy's apron to hide behind while trying to prove your point. I spent $200 to alter the feel of my car and it puts a smile on my face every time I step on the gas. I spent $30K on a fancy motorcycle that still hasn't produced that same smile. $200 well spent my friend.
I'm not going to get into an e-argument with you, laffff. Say what you must to justify your purchase. But I HAVE driven a MB equipped with this product. And you know what I noticed? It feels the same as pushing the pedal down farther. I didn't notice any decrease in "dbw lag" however, it did feel good not having to push your foot down hard and still get the car to jerk harder. 2003 Jag Xtype for instance, I drive that thing and all I gotta do is tap on the pedal to leap forward- it doesn't have a Sprint Booster installed. So in other words if I wanna jump off the line, I'll just walk past the MB in the garage
Old 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM

2013 S550, CLS500, ‘03 SL500, “92 190E Sportline
+1

My friend let me use his sprint booster, and yes it does make a difference. The pedal does not "feel more sensitive". It does not change the pedal "feel". The pedal moves as it normally would, but the response is instant, no delay.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
this is as pointless as the k&n agruements. there will be some people that love them and some people that hate them. both make the car do different things. if you like your purchases- that's all the matters.

for what it's worth- the sprint booster does do what it says it does. it get's rid of the lag. do your tests all you want- it does what it says it does- nothing more, nothing less. it improves throttle response- no matter how it does it.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Banned

Shouldn't this thread be more about people's experience with it rather than a constant argument about how someone's stupid for buying one? What bumpnzx3 said is right. If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. We don't need the non-users to insult the users.

Having said that I've just about read through all the threads regarding the topic as well as the "white paper" PDF document and have come to this conclusion (as someone who has yet to try out the product). I believe wholeheartedly that it does what people claim. It "feels" faster. Better response. No lag. But at the same time (me being the idiot that actually read through most of the 200+page manual for our cars and found out), if the pedal is pressed lightly, the car starts at 2nd gear. If pressed quickly and hard, it starts at 1st gear. There's naturally a lag when car start in second gear.

That fact that the lag disappears from the installation of the Sprint Booster is no surprise. It's open throttle at initial contact of the pedal and therefore starts at 1st gear.

WILL I BE BUYING THIS PRODUCT?
I haven't decided, but leaning towards no. There are just too many other things I want to buy at the moment (springs etc) and the loss in gas mileage is what's turning me off since that's one of the major reasons I bought the car. I know that's not true for all of you, so do what you will.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Banned

Thanks for the response. How much MPG?
Before?
After?
Mind sharing?

Can you shrink your sig pic please? i love the car and it looks great, but it's hard to navigate through threads youv'e been in b/c it's so darn huuuge.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
can't this same information be found in the sprint booster thread? that thread seems to be both pros and cons.

also- as a side note- i would appear that his sig is roughly the same size as yours....judging by strolling distance
Old 01-28-2008, 08:44 PM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
Originally Posted by zoomie
Shouldn't this thread be more about people's experience with it rather than a constant argument about how someone's stupid for buying one? What bumpnzx3 said is right. If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. We don't need the non-users to insult the users.

Having said that I've just about read through all the threads regarding the topic as well as the "white paper" PDF document and have come to this conclusion (as someone who has yet to try out the product). I believe wholeheartedly that it does what people claim. It "feels" faster. Better response. No lag. But at the same time (me being the idiot that actually read through most of the 200+page manual for our cars and found out), if the pedal is pressed lightly, the car starts at 2nd gear. If pressed quickly and hard, it starts at 1st gear. There's naturally a lag when car start in second gear.

That fact that the lag disappears from the installation of the Sprint Booster is no surprise. It's open throttle at initial contact of the pedal and therefore starts at 1st gear.

WILL I BE BUYING THIS PRODUCT?
I haven't decided, but leaning towards no. There are just too many other things I want to buy at the moment (springs etc) and the loss in gas mileage is what's turning me off since that's one of the major reasons I bought the car. I know that's not true for all of you, so do what you will.
Zoomie, with all due respect man...as much hemming and hawing that you are doing over a simple plug-and-play unit for your car I seriously doubt you are going to jump into ANY modifications. I can't imagine how indecisive you'd be over a set of headers or even worse an ECU upgrade
ANY performance upgrade will probably affect your gas mileage for the worse. When you modify your ride...some things work, and some things don't. Take a look at more of these threads, like the classifieds, and tell me what you see...folks selling something to buy a different something. I have gone through 4 sets of wheels in ONE year because I couldn't decide. It takes more than reading about something, asking somebody else, or over rationalizing in your head, to really KNOW what works for your car. I can respect the fact that you are doing your homework but come on...you're on 3or 4 different threads and have started a new thread over a stupid sprint booster! Just BUY it and sell it if it doesn't work for ya. It is the cheapest upgrade you will EVER do. Ya gotta start somewhere.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Zoomie, with all due respect man...as much hemming and hawing that you are doing over a simple plug-and-play unit for your car I seriously doubt you are going to jump into ANY modifications. I can't imagine how indecisive you'd be over a set of headers or even worse an ECU upgrade
ANY performance upgrade will probably affect your gas mileage for the worse. When you modify your ride...some things work, and some things don't. Take a look at more of these threads, like the classifieds, and tell me what you see...folks selling something to buy a different something. I have gone through 4 sets of wheels in ONE year because I couldn't decide. It takes more than reading about something, asking somebody else, or over rationalizing in your head, to really KNOW what works for your car. I can respect the fact that you are doing your homework but come on...you're on 3or 4 different threads and have started a new thread over a stupid sprint booster! Just BUY it and sell it if it doesn't work for ya. It is the cheapest upgrade you will EVER do. Ya gotta start somewhere.
very well put.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
if i see another does the sprint booster really work thread i'm going to kill myself
Old 07-27-2008, 11:58 PM

05 c230 kompressor SS 6MT & 07 BMW 335i
sprint booster review

i just recently installed a sprint booster on my 05 c230 SS 6 spd and wanted to share my experience. I noticed when researching this product that there was some speculation as to performance of the booster. After having the booster in for the past few days, and in those days doing much driving, I wanted to share with the forum my feedback. So here it is: The booster obviously does not increase horsepower or torque whatsoever, and I understood that when purchasing. Upon installation, I noticed a substantial increase in throttle response and acceleration. Dead-stop take offs are much quicker and the car feels like it pulls much harder, and much earlier in the rev-band. In the higher gears and on the highway, the car has become significantly more nimble and effortlessly picks up speed. Overtaking other vehicles is substantially easier and there is no more throttle lag. In my case, once my supercharger is boosting i can feel the car take off forward, with much more force. The car is simply more fun to drive and is very responsive. I barely have to put pressure on the throttle to get acceleration and you can definitely fine-tune how much throttle is being given (not like before where you floor it and it takes a few seconds). The only down side is that it takes some adjustment in driving style. Since the adaptive DBW is technically being bypassed, the throttle is wide open a lot sooner and without much foot pressure. Thus, the car sometimes rockets forward with the slightest pressure, such as when you're shifting gears, and can take you by surprise. However, you get used to it very quickly. I must admit, this mod has changed the character of my engine and it almost feels like i am in a different car. I had some friends test drive it and sit in on a few drives and they too agreed that my car was a lot quicker. 0-60 passes are more enjoyable and a little faster than without the booster. I dont know what the effects would be with an automatic, but i assume the experience would be similar. Also, I have found that i dont have to down shift so much to achieve the appropriate acceleration; I get going faster much lower in the rev-band and the power remains constant until the drop-off around redline. I recommend this mod if you can find one without paying 350 euros for it, and if you are a performance minded driver who yearns for a little more pep in your Merc. the sprint booster is honestly something to look into. Hope this write-up helps and feel free to ask questions. Cheers!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:08 AM
Almost a Member!

07 MB C230
Thanks for the review...couple of questions if you don't mind.

Did you get the AMG one or the non-AMG one? How's your gas mileage been post sprint booster?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:52 AM

05 c230 kompressor SS 6MT & 07 BMW 335i
not sure about the amg/non-amg bc i bought it from an mbworld member but i know it was specific for the 6 spd manual (so id assume its not amg). As for gas mileage, im still getting between 28 and 32 mpg when cruising on the highway but im sure theres a little discrepancy with city driving because the car just accelerates more. it really depends on your driving style though because you still can drive the car smooth and easy. hope this helps
Old 07-28-2008, 01:16 PM

Mercedes Benz C200K Sport Edition and 04 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by jokerswld34
not sure about the amg/non-amg bc i bought it from an mbworld member but i know it was specific for the 6 spd manual (so id assume its not amg). As for gas mileage, im still getting between 28 and 32 mpg when cruising on the highway but im sure theres a little discrepancy with city driving because the car just accelerates more. it really depends on your driving style though because you still can drive the car smooth and easy. hope this helps
The Sprintbooster has nothing to do with AMG or mileage. It is a device that improves acceleration on drive-by-wire cars by continuously measuring and converting the digital signal thus providing the ECM with a new and altered signal. The unit costs about £190 and can be easily installed in ten minutes. I have had one for a few months and still enjoy the instant response rather than the initial delayed kickdown response inherent in most MB cars.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Almost a Member!

07 MB C230
Originally Posted by tudu
The Sprintbooster has nothing to do with AMG or mileage.
There are two versions of the sprintbooster, one is AMG and the other isn't...

The mileage question was simply out of curiosity since it indeed changes driving and accelerating patterns which can affects gas mileage, to what degree, it seems minimal.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:30 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by dan2010
There are two versions of the sprintbooster, one is AMG and the other isn't...

The mileage question was simply out of curiosity since it indeed changes driving and accelerating patterns which can affects gas mileage, to what degree, it seems minimal.
y'all must be playing with a different model that the one I played with. I had a friends for about three weeks, with the promise I wouldn't dissect it.

All the thing does is electronically cut your pedal travel by about 2/3's. So 1/3 down is now "WOT". I found it made my car too jumpy to enjoy, but got used to it more than I expected - when I pulled it out it took a couple of days to get used to the feeling of it gone.

The majority of my driving is stop and go city traffic, with speed cameras thrown in for good measure. I found a consistent 10% reduction in mileage.

When on the highway, it was only about 6%, but still very measurable. I consider myself to be a pretty conservative driver, so maybe that's why I noticed it more, and liked it less.

I still think it's about $6 worth of parts, in a nice convenient, plug and play cable and connector form.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster - Car behaving like a monster and hungry for speed