C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Coupe Malfunctions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 C-Coupe
Coupe Malfunctions

My Coupe is in the wars at the moment. It is in the shop for a minor parking accident and yesterday recorded four malfuntions on the drive back from LA.

1. ESP
Electronic Stability program visit the workshop after the first 100 miles.

2. With 3/4 of a tank of gas, the gas needle suddenly pointed to 0. Within 20 miles a mulfuntion registered saying reserve fuel is depleted, visit a gas station.

3. After restarting the car the gas was back to 3/4 full, but an error came up on the dash stating the ESP was not available.

I called the service centre and they told me to take it in but it would be fine to keep on driving. I started the car and it was gone, I drove the remainding 200 miles without any additional ESP warnings.

4. Gas showed empty again about 100 miles later. pulled the car off the road and stopped the engine for several minutes. Started the car and back to normal for the remainder of the journey.

Now I have had the fuel issue every time I have been on a long journey but the ESP is a new issue. Yesterday it was 105-110 outside and I am wondering if the heat could have affected the onboard computer and therefore caused the problem?

Nathan
Old 08-14-2002, 07:47 PM

'02 C230K Coupe
If the ESP messages go away after restarting the car, then that means that the problem was not permanent, and did not show up on the self test again. If it shows persistently, then it may indicate a fault.

As for the fuel gauge, I'm guessing it's a faulty part somewhere. Fixing that may also fix your ESP errors.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:41 AM

2008 C300 Sport
Exclamation

As a simpler measure, check the gas cap. My dealer stressed to me that it was extremely important the the cap be closed tightly or you'll get errors. The problem is that, unlike most other caps, the MB cap doesn't make any type of clicking noise when it is completely closed. Therefore, the pump jockey doesn't always get it right. Even if you pump your own gas, it can't hurt to check the cap.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:01 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by Mark08859
Even if you pump your own gas, it can't hurt to check the cap.
You mean you actually have some guy filling up for you! OMG you are way too spoiled in US! I envy you!
Old 08-15-2002, 12:09 PM

2008 C300 Sport
Originally posted by DtS

You mean you actually have some guy filling up for you! OMG you are way too spoiled in US! I envy you!
Most of the States in the USA let you pump your own gas for a reduced price. The State of New Jersey, where I live, makes it illegal to pump your own gas.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by DtS

Now, now. It's no treat paying an extra .50/gal for some guy to smash a nozzle into the quarter panel of your new car or spill 1/4 gallon onto your zaino'ed finish and leave the gas cap loose. I can do that myself..... There are only a few full-serve pumps in my area and I NEVER see anyone at them.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:28 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Originally posted by Mark08859

Most of the States in the USA let you pump your own gas for a reduced price. The State of New Jersey, where I live, makes it illegal to pump your own gas.
Way some people drive here, pumping gas shouldn't be the only thing better left to professionals
Old 08-15-2002, 11:15 PM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
fuel pump/BAS/ESP malfunction msgs

Nathan, when I first got my C230k, the fuel gauge never measured full and I got intermittent "ESP/BAS not available" messages. My dealer replaced the fuel pump (because I had had a slight engine hesitation twice) and the fuel sending unit/sensor. That fixed the fuel guage problem. It has been perfect ever since. I do, however, get the BAS/ESP msgs about once a month. It disappears when engine is turned off. I have wondered if perhaps it was not cleared from the memory at the shop and there is maybe a built in timed reminder which makes such messages pop up until they are cleared?? That last is pure speculation and I appologize for mentioning it without checking with my dealer, but perhaps more informed members can comment.
Deb
Old 08-16-2002, 01:05 AM

2005 SL65
the fuel sensors in both my CLKs had to be replaced. something about USA additives having deleterious effects on the sending units in the tanks. never had a pump problem, though. the brake system lights all came on once. it was a minor malfunction that, i think, required no repairs, though i did bring the car in to be safe.
Old 08-16-2002, 01:34 AM

I also had the bas/esp problems. some sensors were replaced twice, and no problems since. When it did occur, it was intermittent as far as the display was concerned. We also experience a sudden loss of power, for just a few seconds, when accelerating after stopping on a highway offramp. This was also remdied by a sensor transplant.