C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Negotiating strategies and pricing for a new C230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Negotiating strategies and pricing for a new C230

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your feedback on my previous post. The C230 is so much more comfortable and higher quality vs. the RSX, it's like night and day.

Now for the serious part. What strategies and pricing did you use for purchasing the C230. I want to keep it simple and just get it with the C5 package (leather, sunroof, Bose and rain sensor) in silver.

Did you guys get any deals (below msrp, throw-ins). I know the car is in extreme demand, the manufacturing units are limited and that's what makes it challenging to negotiate for any advantage.

Any tips would be appreciated. Also I live in the SF Bay Area and if you have any dealer preferences or experiences with my region that would be appreciated also.

Thanks everyone for your support.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
If you are in So.Cal., Fletcher Jones has several on the lot, including what you are looking for.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: Negotiating strategies and pricing for a new C230

Originally posted by heat010
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your feedback on my previous post. The C230 is so much more comfortable and higher quality vs. the RSX, it's like night and day.

Now for the serious part. What strategies and pricing did you use for purchasing the C230. I want to keep it simple and just get it with the C5 package (leather, sunroof, Bose and rain sensor) in silver.

Did you guys get any deals (below msrp, throw-ins). I know the car is in extreme demand, the manufacturing units are limited and that's what makes it challenging to negotiate for any advantage.

Any tips would be appreciated. Also I live in the SF Bay Area and if you have any dealer preferences or experiences with my region that would be appreciated also.

Thanks everyone for your support.
Local dealers in DC area flatly refused to go below MSRP when I tried to negotiate in person, but I got a MSRP + free CD changer after I filled out an application form at CarSmart.com (an "internet special", as they called it).
Also, keep in mind, that the more options you buy, the higher the likelihood that they will give you a better price.

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2001, 12:45 AM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
I emailed all MB dealers within a 2 hour radius asking them for "their best incentive/offer on a C230". It worked well, because I got a wonderful reply from MB of Clearwater offering me an "Internet Discount" and a really net-email-savvy salesperson who was actually fun to exchange messages with.

It is worth noting that almost half the dealers never replied to my email (Melbourne, Lakeland, St. Petersburg, etc.). Not very good followup if you don't reply to a sales inquiry. A couple wrote back with a real holier-than-thou attitude stating that I should be lucky to be allowed to order the car at MSRP (Tampa & Daytona). Orlando was the annoying one that after I clearly stated to ONLY REPLY BY EMAIL insisted on calling me at work numerous times. I almost felt stalked for a little while. I later learned that MB of Orlando is owned by AutoNation (remember them? they tried competing with CarMax a couple years ago and failed big time).

Of all of those emails, only MB of Clearwater wrote back almost instantly, gave me a great discount, and wrote in plain english. No sales-speak, no haggling, no games. They made it fun.

My car arrives end of February. Since then I have discovered 2-3 local Orlando MB owners who for years have known the "MB of Clearwater" secret and buy their MBs from them, regardless of the drive.

Rick
Old 12-17-2001, 12:47 AM

I was able to get a few dealers in the CT area to agree to invoice +3%, which results in about a 1200 discount from msrp.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:23 AM

Heat:
Missed in first read that you were in Bay area. A strategy that has worked well around here is to decide on a price I want to pay relative to the invoice price (you can get the numbers from edmunds.com or other places). Once you have decided on your price (eg invoice plus $500, invoice plus 3%, etc) call and/or email all the dealers within a reasonable drive. I tell them "I am ready to buy this car and want to know if you will sell it for ##." Some are insulted at being asked for a discount, but always some have said yes. They have been a pleasure to deal with also.

Good luck.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
Throw out a price

Like the Dr. said, throw out a price (as long as its resonable and the dealer makes a buck) and see who bites. Someone wants the business and someone is going to respond. They may respond with a counter offer, but at least it gets you started. You can check with Kelly's (kbb.com) also for invoice price for car. I do that all the time and the only time it doesnt work is when the car is in such demand that no one will touch it. These cars are in the lots and available and they are not limited production vehicles like the AMG models. I live on the East coast, and I hear things are a bit different out West, but this negotiating process should be consistent no matter where you go.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:50 AM

One caution when calculating invoice price-for some reason edmunds and kbb dont include the metallic paint in invoice pricing, throws the number off by about $600. Add that back in before you talk to dealers.