C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Supercharger Porting (aka LiquidLife Mod)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
I dunno, but the rear differential on the C30CDI AMG coupe is supposedly a LSD. It would make sense for it to have a LSD since it has a high torque amount on that turbo diesel engine. Either AMG or Quaife LSD for me.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 C230K
Originally Posted by mig888
This would be nearly impossible without the rest of us having a backyard CNC machine - so says the source.

flip
If you come up some drawings (cnc or old fashiond blue prints) for a more efficient ( which one outland? ) sc on the m111 I'll get the piece. get tolerences and strength requirements. If we get it right I can arrange a limited run of cast pieces. material choice is key if we cast it, additional factors to consider: NVH, heat soak for material compatability etc. prototype plaster cast would be a possibility if aluminum meets the engineering requirements. I'm not an engineer, so the caveats are many. With 85k miles on my car the s/c may not last too much longer any way; I am ready to pursue this.

Last edited by hobie; 01-28-2006 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by hobie
If you come up some drawings (cnc or old fashiond blue prints) for a more efficient ( which one outland? )
I'd go for Lysholm type blower, given the options. Turbo is too much tuning work...the larger M62 is the second best option...I think I'd check out what the guys in the older SLK's are doing, since they already have the M62. There's your upgrade path, BTW, everything you need to plug that bad boy in already exists. Ive never even looked into that...but wow, that would be easy, wouldn't it?

get tolerences and strength requirements.
You only do that if your gonna build a lot of them.

If we get it right I can arrange a limited run of cast pieces. material choice is key if we cast it,
Casting is too much fooling around for a limited run...porosity, venting, flashing, and of course the subsequent machining required. You butcher it the first time, just to get it work, then go back, and make some nice elegant billet machined pieces where needed.

additional factors to consider: NVH, heat soak for material compatability etc.
Screw NVH. This is already a crabby motor. A little more vibration and noise is never going to be noticed.

[/QUOTE]
I am ready to pursue this.[/QUOTE]

Great! Start searching for a cheap blower. Used is fine, better actually. You'll rebuild it anyway, and youre likely to have to drill and cut to hook it up anyway...unless you go with an old SLK M62. Right?
Old 01-29-2006, 04:28 AM

'02 C230K
thanks for the encouragement, i'll post again wheni have a game plan
Old 01-29-2006, 06:38 PM

oh outland i was reading some posts on mbklasse and they said that the m62 would only produce the same amount of hp because you need more boost to spin the supercharger. something like that maybe you should check it out there are alot of discussions about turbos and porting the sp.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by v6killa
oh outland i was reading some posts on mbklasse and they said that the m62 would only produce the same amount of hp because you need more boost to spin the supercharger.
I'll check that discussion out. However, the M62 has more 'headroom' than the M45, which is where we are hitting a wall with the current blowers.

The M45 is small and compact...at a certain point, no matter how fast you spin it, it can't pump any more air. The M62 is somewhat larger, so, at a given RPM, its gonna pump more volume. We need someone who's the owner of an older SLK to tell us some of the specifics of the M62 output...how much boost its putting out, the speed, pulley diameters, etc.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:55 AM

'02 C230K
www.theblowershop.com in Santa Clarita
Old 05-19-2006, 07:46 PM

Supercharger Porting!

I have shipped a used Eaton M45 to Magnum Powers to be ported and once I get it back I will of course post the dyno results. I have researched this for a long time and I already know what to expect. Renntech did the same mod and got 4hp gain out of it. I am looking for a 4 to 6 hp gain. It all adds up! Hey HustonC230 whats up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember I own a 2003 SLK230!

Last edited by steve872; 07-10-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
OK, I bite. How much is this 4 - 6 hp gain going to cost you? Is it worth it? Did you have a pre-dyno to compare to a post-dyno?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:09 PM

Porting is $290.00. Shipping is about $20.00 each way (UPS Ground). Posted below is my last dyno which would suffice as a pre dyno. I will post results in about 2 weeks. To answer any questions ahead of time a list of my mods is listed below:

1) Supersprint header/muffler
2) ASP Racing larger crank pulley
3) Green Cotton air filter
4) Bored out throttle body
5) Denso Iridium plugs

I will post the results in the performance upgrade forum

Last edited by steve872; 07-10-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool, you broke 200rwhp with the M111 engine. That was my holy grail, got close but never passed it.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:40 AM

Buell,

How goes it. I had Linh install the crank pulley and he also installed the Supersprint products. We sort of went our ways but his work ethic and his passion is second to none. We never realized the potential of the Supersprint products as there are more air flow restrictions to remove to see the full potential of my current setup. I was told by a MB Mech that most models have the cats as the air flow restriction. Your thoughts?

I had talked to Bob Brady at Renntech about the M111 and he let it slip that they also ported the supercharger. I just saw the Renntech SLK230 on EBay a few weeks ago. The car had the same mods as mine but also had the Renntech intake and the ECU upgrade. They did not bore out the throttle body. Guess they were looking at what they could sell to the public.

Vaeth intercooler next. Only for intake cooling. I expect no more than that. I wonder how much the M111 can produce safely. I just want to get to 210whp and I will be happy. I am also going to send out a fuel injector to RC Engineeering and get it flow tested. I am just curious. Did you ever consider port/polsih of the cylinder head. Your input is much appreaciated. Your efforts and Linhs efforts in the past have laid the foundation to any success I may have. Thank you.

I just hope the MAF can handle some more air.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:53 AM

please get more fuel in there. you are running lean already.

-nuke
Old 05-20-2006, 12:26 PM

NUKE!!!!!!!!!!

How goes it my friend? How are you doing. Funny to see you here on this forum but I posted this thread because it seems the C class owners for the most part are into performance mods more than any other class. The E55 owners are also really into performance mods.

You know that each time I have dynoed the car it runs lean at the higher RPM's. My question is about my FPR. MY FPR is different than the FPR's on the older cars. I think Linh's pulley kit has the FPR for the pre 2000 SLK's. My FPR idoes not have any vacum lines or anything coming off of it. I know the entire 2003 SLK classs uses the same fuel pump and if the OEM pump is the same one as the 349hp AMG model then my little SLK230 has a very good pump. The injectors are newer and Bosch hides the flow data like gold at Fort Knox. My guess is I am slowly getting close to max capacity. I know that Mercedes has dumbed down the 230 as they knew that it could easliy outperform the SLK320 with the right combo of mods.

My wife usally drives the car and this is the reason why the car always responds slowly at first when I drive it. Next time before I do a dyno I will drive out to East San Diego County and have some fun. When you all dyno your MB's do you have the car in drive or another gear. I always turn off the ESP. I know that last time we dynoed the car it was right after the bored out throttle body was installed. The engine has more power and I am wondering if I should get the speed limiter reomoved via a chip upgrade.

More and more I research it seems that the only way to get help is to get the chip remapped and flashing without dyno tuning it is a waste of time. Is it possible to flash the chip and get something out of it. Even if I just want to readjust my fuel maps. I know the dealer can do it. Buellwinkle I know you have gone down this road and would like your advice.

I have also contemplated having the cylinder head ported/polished. Some people say that on a forced induction engine the porting will not help that much. Since Renntech cannot even get the sport cams grinded for 3K anymore then it is up to us to find a good shop to make some custom cams. Has anyone ever tried custom cams. Seems to be a waste of time getting the cylinder head ported without also installing some custom cams to take advantage of the port job.

I am still learning and thank everyone ahead of time for your patience with me. C class owners are my type of owners. I hope you all do not mind me posting here. Hope I can stay! Once I have the ported supercharger ported and installed I am going to find a local fabricater to make me a custom CAI that works. The hugh Green Cotton air filter does make a big difference with my mods. Only problem is that it is sucking in hot air from the engine. I am also going to get the header ceramic coated as it sits right by the supercharger. Any other ideas about performance mods is appreciated by each and everyone of you out there.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:05 PM

2016 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by steve872
I have shipped a used Eaton M45 to Magnum Powers to be ported and once I get it back I will of course post the dyno results. I have researched this for a long time and I already know what to expect. Renntech did the same mod and got 4hp gain out of it. I am looking for a 4 to 6 hp gain. It all adds up! Hey HustonC230 whats up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember I own a 2003 SLK230!
thats a cool mod...but is it only me that thinks 4-6hp is not worth any of this work?
Old 05-20-2006, 02:40 PM

I guess it is the classic "If you gotta ask then you don't get it" situations. For those who understand my hugh investment of $290.00 for a 4 to 6 hp gain it is nothing. For those who consider smoked tail lights as a mod then I guess I am more of a performance side of the house. That's what makes it fun. All types of cars and all types of people. Ask Buellwinkle, who has in the past tried many mods to the M111, if he gets it. Performance products for any MB are very expensive if they even exist. I guess I could just stop at 200RWHP but to be honest I cannnot stop. I need a 12 step program of some kind. I admit it.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:00 AM

2010 C300
I guess it is the classic "If you gotta ask then you don't get it" situations. For those who understand my hugh investment of $290.00 for a 4 to 6 hp gain it is nothing. For those who consider smoked tail lights as a mod then I guess I am more of a performance side of the house. That's what makes it fun. All types of cars and all types of people. Ask Buellwinkle, who has in the past tried many mods to the M111, if he gets it. Performance products for any MB are very expensive if they even exist. I guess I could just stop at 200RWHP but to be honest I cannnot stop. I need a 12 step program of some kind. I admit it.
Ha! Good to see you're still out trying new things Steve!

$290 isn't bad at all, $/hp it still will be pretty cheap compared to the other options (if everything works out). Definitely let us know how it turns out. I've finally started putting mods on my car pretty heavily - perhaps a ported s/c is in my future!

When I get home from Europe next week, I've got a freshly-tuned ECU waiting for me. Hopefully I'll finally be able to recognize some gains from that ASP pulley set. Headers coming soon, already have my deposit in for them!

Good luck with the 210whp mark... you're not too far off!
Old 05-21-2006, 05:14 AM

2016 Mercedes S550
yeah i know a really good rehab center pm me if you want the info...

lol j/k...i understand...i know these M111 motors are hard to pull even a couple hp out of them, and i guess when you set yourself goals...you gotta do it, but its good to know at least your really committed to it the i give props...i honestly rather do motor work then stuff like smoke out taillights, but i personally wouldnt have the time to invest in somehting like this...so good luck & keep us updated on some vids or some dyno charts
Old 05-21-2006, 11:22 AM

Robohopar,

Am I the only one who looses complete train of thought staring at your little moving photo. Only subject that makes me forget about HP. What I know about car now I would have never have purchased the in line 4 for my wife. I would have purchased the 2003 SLK32. I am just making do with what I have to work with. After I buy my wife her home next summer she said I was free to get any MB model I want. OH YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not a wealthy guy but will put up with car payments over 1K easy to get what I rally want.

As far as geeting my little SLK to 210rwhp it is just something I must do. I cannot ehlp myself. If I do not have a part on the way in the mail I get cranky. I really do have the need for speed as most of us do. I really love what the C class owners do. At least there are some people here who are trying performance mods. Lok at the R170 posts from this forum. They for the most part are not rying a lot of these mods. A few of them have the larger crank pulley but that is it. Maybe an aftermarket exhuast and a few tried the after market ECU upgrades and that is it.

Any ideas and feedback is why I am here. I request that you all read my post on this thread and let me know what you think. I am still learning but I am pretty sure this supercharger porting is a very good mod to do. Anytime you can open up the airway means free HP without sacraficing anything else. I am considering the cyl;inder head and ECU as my next upgrades. This includes custom cams.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by HoustonC230

$290 isn't bad at all, $/hp it still will be pretty cheap compared to the other options (if everything works out). Definitely let us know how it turns out. I've finally started putting mods on my car pretty heavily - perhaps a ported s/c is in my future!

When I get home from Europe next week, I've got a freshly-tuned ECU waiting for me. Hopefully I'll finally be able to recognize some gains from that ASP pulley set. Headers coming soon, already have my deposit in for them!

Aloha Houston. Where have you been!!!!!!!????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2006, 02:50 PM

2016 Mercedes S550
Well Steve...sounds good man, we'll try to get all your info and provide you with some feedback, what mods have you done so far?
Old 05-21-2006, 06:31 PM

1) Supersprint header/muffler
2) Green Cotton air filter
3) ASP Racing larger crank pulley
5) Awaiting ported M45 supercharger
6) Denso Iridium plugs

Future mods:

1) Vaeth intercooler
2) Fuel Pressure Regulator?
3) Injectors?
4) Cylinder head port/polish along with custom cams and dyno based ECU tuning!
This would be my last mod. A lot depends such as overloading the MAF with to much air, etc as to how far this can go before ECU has to be massaged via dyno. I forgot about a custom CAI. This must be done. I like the way Mustangs have the CAI setup going through the fwd wheel well. It must work! Not much room for any CAI setups without that 90% bend which would restrict airflow. I really am thinking abouth the Mustang setup.

There is no doubt that if I do all of the future mods along with the ported Eaton I will get to 220rwhp. It is just a question of when to say enough money is enough money. I guess I will find out.

Last edited by steve872; 05-21-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by HoustonC230

Who did you use for your ECU upgrade???????
Old 05-21-2006, 07:12 PM

2016 C63s AMG
[QUOTE=steve872]1) Supersprint header/muffler
2) Green Cotton air filter
3) ASP Racing larger crank pulley
5) Awaiting ported M45 supercharger
6) Denso Iridium plugs

Steve, Your #6 mod Denso Iridium Plugs. Did you notice any difference. I know you have the M111 engine, I have the M271 engine with the Kleemann boost kit and k-box.(2005 C230ss auto) Do you think it would be to my advantage to change my plugs. What part# did you use Ik20, or IK16? I also plan on getting the Kleemann header and ECU upgrade as soon as they realse it.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:17 PM

Pug, You are lucky that Kleeman is giving the C class some rally good support. If I were to have any major tuner work on my car it seems Kleeman has the best customer support around. I saw the header and it looks really good. As far as the plugs go I did not notice anything. I think that the stock plugs you have are more than adequate. Please do a pre header/ECU upgrade dyno run and of course a post dyno run. I still think that there are major ari flow issues with Mercedes. As with any car find out where yours are. I really think this ported supercharger could see more than the 4 hp I am expecting. I was told that the Eaton can spin beyond 14K rpm and that even with a larger crank pulley there is a little bit more CFM to get and that is free HP and lbs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Porting (aka LiquidLife Mod)