C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

sequentronic & european delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 03:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
sequentronic & european delivery

From what I've read, the sequentronic transmission seems to be ideal for me. More involving than the Touchshift, but not as much of a pain as a pure manual (I live in the city PLUS I don't like the 6-speed offered by MB... it ain't Honda smooth, that's for sure).

So... my question is: would it be possible for me, as a Canadian, to get a sequentronic through Euro delivery? I'm planning to ask my dealer about this when I finally get around to taking the C230 for a test spin, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiences with this.

Thanks... great board, guys.

The Cowboy
(possible future C230 owner)
Old 08-22-2002, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4
I'm not trying to discourage you, but everything I've read about the Sequentronic transmission says that it sucks really bad. One reviewer said the most annoying thing was that the gear changes took time, as they normally do in a manual, but that it was very noticeable (since you are waiting for it to happen) and the shifts were rough unless you let of the gas then got back on. If you have to that it sort of defeats the purpose of having it change for you. But, thats just one guy and his own opinion. Also I'm sorry I cant help you with your actual question, but I know that its not possible in the US.
Old 08-22-2002, 03:54 PM

That's interesting, I've read the opposite about sequentronic (can't remember where, though). Seems like a great compromise to me, especially if it works right. Plus, I have a hard time believing that MB would keep it in mass production if it was such a disaster.

Moot point, I guess, I doubt I'll be able to.
Old 08-22-2002, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
It could be a lot different for Canada. In the US we dont have the option of sequentronic at all, can you get it on regular Canadian models? I have been driving a C230 6-speed manual for about 2 weeks now (its my first stick-shift car) and I've found it to be quite cooperative. Not nearly as smooth shifting as my uncle's BMW 5-series I drove, but its not horrible. After 2000 miles it also seems a little less notchier than it was when new.
Old 08-22-2002, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I've heard bad things about SMTs and drove one in a rental Opal in the Azores. Very annoying. It's like driving a REAL sucky-slow-shifting automatic. The time it takes between shifts seems like an eternity. I see no advantage over a good automatic other than less parasitic power loss and less weight(?).
Old 08-22-2002, 04:23 PM

A slow shifting automatic? How is it if you're shifting the gears yourself?

I think that if I get this car I would go auto. I've been an auto trannie driver all my life, but I really enjoy driving a smooth stick (of the kind found in a Honda or BMW), but when I've driven a "notchier" stick I've just given myself headaches and the ride has inevitably been more stressful than fun.

And no, sequentronic is not an option in Canada. Wonder why they would even bother to market this option if it's not ready for prime time.

Last edited by cowboy019; 08-22-2002 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2002, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
Considering how wonderful MB auto trannies are, and how much you hate a notchy manual... I think the auto would be a good choice.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
A slow shifting automatic? How is it if you're shifting the gears yourself?
If your asking what the SMT feels like when you shift it in manual mode, it still feels the same as a slow shifting auto: nudge.....lag.....shift...nudge...lag......shift. I'm expecting more of an instant F1 shift.

Keep in mind this was on a brand new Opal "Comfort". The BMW, Ferrari, MB, Aston, SMTs may be better (I think there are only 2 companies that supply SMT technology). There is a review of the BMW M3 SMT in one of the car mags this month.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:58 AM

interesting... sounds just like Touchshift... what is the difference?
Old 08-23-2002, 08:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Well, I've got one question: if something goes wrong with the tranny, who's going to fix it?

I don't think that MB would sign off on this purchase, to tell you the truth. But, if the did, I'd assume that they'd make you sign a waiver of any tranny-related problems so that they wouldn't be included in the warranty.

I'd just get the slushbox - my manny has loosened up over its first year, but it's still not in the same league as my crx. I think you'll be happier with the auto.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:44 AM

Or I could just go with the RSX...