C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Sad Service Dept. Story

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 11:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Angry Sad Service Dept. Story

I went to my dealer yesterday. My Renntech spoiler extension for my c230 should be coming any day now, so I went there to ask them for a recommendation on which local shops could do the painting and install. First part of his a-hole response (I talked to the guy at the Service Dept. who's in charge of scheduling all bodywork): he tells me that these body shops are only interested in restoring Benzes to their original condition using original parts. Second part: he goes on to tell me how you shouldn't be adding these things to a Benz, how they don't work properly, and how they always require drilling. Then I tell him that I know someone who's had it done, and it works with the adhesive, and he finalizes the "conversation" by saying that he can't help me.

I just went in for some recommendations on local shops; I really don't think that I deserved to be basically told how stupid I am. Should I have expected anything different from a MB Service Dept., or am I just too naive?
Old 12-19-2001, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
You have to keep in mind these guys are used to dealing with $50000 and up cars, with people just trying to restore these $50k+ cars to their original glory. The Sub $30k cars are new for them as is people wanting to 'FIX UP' their band new Mercedes.

I feel sort out of out of place in my C320 when I bring it in for repairs. But they always treat me respectfully.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
just a bit of advice, Tom

Call the parts guys and ask them where you can get a pint of Orion paint. MB doesn't sell paint to customers, only to body shops. They'll tell you what shop you can purchase your paint from....take that as a recommendation on where to get your work done.

And take pics of the spoiler!(before/after)
Old 12-19-2001, 08:27 AM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
Re: just a bit of advice, Tom

Originally posted by Rick
Call the parts guys and ask them where you can get a pint of Orion paint. MB doesn't sell paint to customers, only to body shops. They'll tell you what shop you can purchase your paint from....take that as a recommendation on where to get your work done.

And take pics of the spoiler!(before/after)
Tommy, that guy is a pr**. Plain and simple. I would have given him big piece of my mind. You're not wrong in expecting better service, and some common f***ing courtesy.

As for the paint thing. MB does not sell paint to bodyshops, customers, anybody. MB doesn't sell paint period. Bodyhops mix paint themselves to match the OEM paint code.

And a good bodyshop will "age" the paint after so that it will look the same as the rest of the paint on the car.

When looking for a good bodyshop, MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE "I-CAR" CERTIFIED. "I-CAR" is a certification given to only the best bodyshops. It is applicable in the USA, Canada, and New Zealand. People I've spoken to who have visited i-car and non i-car shops the say the difference is night and day between the two.
Old 12-19-2001, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by bagwell
You have to keep in mind these guys are used to dealing with $50000 and up cars, with people just trying to restore these $50k+ cars to their original glory. The Sub $30k cars are new for them as is people wanting to 'FIX UP' their band new Mercedes.

I feel sort out of out of place in my C320 when I bring it in for repairs. But they always treat me respectfully.
my service dept doesn't have a sign that says $50k+ cars only... tommy probably did not go in there w/ guns blazing. (maybe he did ) just a neutral response, "i don't have a recommendation." without the belittlement would have been appreciated. i could have dealt w/ that. don't feel out of place w/ your c320 - it's is not a measure of your self-worth. btw, I am the RICHEST in self-valuation - although my wife and many others may disagree
Old 12-19-2001, 11:06 AM

1993 300E
Call up and ask who they send their cars that have been damaged in transit, prep, etc., to or where they send customer cars that come in for service and light body work.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:25 AM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
Originally posted by justme
Call up and ask who they send their cars that have been damaged in transit, prep, etc., to or where they send customer cars that come in for service and light body work.
It dosen't matter who the dealer sends their cars to to be fixed. Delaers use bodyshops that they may have special arrangements with. These arrangements could be based on cost, turnaround time, etc, not necessarily quality professional work.

When my bimmers rocker panel needed to be fixed, the dealer recco'd some nasty bodyshop. The place looked like a chop shop. Don't blindly trust your dealer just because they told you it's a good place.

I think we all know dealers don't have a great track record with alot of things.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Angry

Besides, if I went back to my dealer, they'd point me to the same douchebag, since he handles all bodywork.

I'm going to ask the shop that did all of my crx's bodywork (multiple break-ins; gotta love n. NJ), and they'll give me an honest opinion of who would do a good job.

As a fall-back, Precise in Atlantic City sells and installs Renntech stuff, so I'll keep them in contention as well. It'd be nice to win the installation cost at blackjack while I'm waiting on the install.
Old 12-19-2001, 01:28 PM
Almost a Member!

will be a C230K
Unhappy Same Dealer as tommy

Tommy i know we are talking about the same dealer cause we got our cars there i have a different problem with them my car is still pulling to the right and they cant fix it and than they said it was me go figure

now it time for me to contact a factory rep on this

the service people there think there are giveing you everything and actually giveing you nothing and i dont give a rats *** if i drive a 30 thousand $$$ car or a 50 thousand cause i have both from them

they just think there **** dont stink

but to be honest i still rather be driveing a Mercedes Benz than anything else
Old 12-19-2001, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Hmmm....let me check on something for you Tommy. A friend's brother works at Catena...maybe I can squeeze a recommendation out of them...
Old 12-19-2001, 09:54 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
Originally posted by dave
Tommy i know we are talking about the same dealer cause we got our cars there i have a different problem with them my car is still pulling to the right and they cant fix it and than they said it was me go figure
would that happen to be mercedes benz of princeton???? the worst dealership on the east coast???

did you buy your car from arno assholio as well???

if so, i wish you the best of luck with your new mercedes, cause god knows your purchase of it couldnt have been good

greg