C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

06 C230 V6 vs Mazda 6 5 door

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
06 C230 V6 vs Mazda 6 5 door

I recently returned from a business trip to Maryland and then Pennsylvania...my ride the airport was the 06 C230 V6 while the dealer tried to sort out a key glitch on my car. Let me get this out of the way right off...I don't like automatics...nor am I a fan of the new C230 drive train. Too much hunting, slow off the line, and the new engine maybe quiet and smooth, but it just doesn't go when you want it to.

My rental on arrival I expected to be something dreary...a camry, taurus, or something else midsize and boring. Instead I got a Mazda 6, 5 door. 6speed automatic with slaptronic, 18in wheels, Pzero rubber, Xenon lights, and get this...a sunroof. In a rental car. I don't think ive ever had a rental so nicely equipped. Now, I'm not a Mazda fan either...BUT this car was about to change my opinion of a Mazda. Trip was starting to look a little more promising.

Heading out on hwy83 out of Baltimore, I was pretty happy. The car turned out to be pretty quick, the slappy stick box worked better than the one in the merc, and the sound system was a big improvement as well. Car drove and road very nice. Only complaints on the highway were road noise/road rumble, and no trip computer...at least none that I found in my few days with this car.

Upon arrival at my hotel I finally got a look at the car in the daylight and realized it was a hatchback! Yep. I thought it was a sedan in the dark garage. Nicely done wing, fast back body line, and very nice rims. Not a bad looker at all. While out there, my coworkers who met up with me asked how come I got a nice ride, and they were stuck in ****sville with a foodoor tird.

The real revelation was to come however...as I got read to leave and head back to Baltimore, I heard traffic on 83 was really backed up...now, I like driving, but I hate sitting in traffic. So...I decided to pick a back road route. Ive done this several times on other trips...often resulting in me running down the terminal to catch a plane because I underestimated the extra time required to run the slower, windy roads. The road this time was Route 24, to US1 and then back to 695. What a nice drive! Great views, twisting, climbing and plunging in and out of the hills! At one point, I when thru some state park called Granite or Rocks or something like that...that was big fun hustling the car through the twisting road along the river. And you know what? That car stuck like stink. On several corners I had the needle at redline with a lot of angle on the wheel, and no wheel spin or hop or plow from that car. I was impressed. I'd say, FWD and all, it handled as good as the merc loaner I had, had fewer noises in the interior, and felt smoother on the rid quality. Its also considerably faster...at least till you reach freeway speeds. Slaptronic works a lot better in the Mazda as well. Less lag, better shifts. I think this is actually a GM/Ford box no less. Only hicup, it stuttered a couple of times on full throttle shifts between first and second, which resulted in a bit of wheel chirp. Sounded cool, though I can't see it being good for the tranny. As usual, I was running short on time as I approached BWI, so the car got even more flogging on the beltline. Road noise is awful as the speed gets up there.

On the shuttle ride back to the terminal, I was thinking I'd rather have the Mazda. Getting back home, and into the loaner again, put things in a little better perspective. The Benz does handle better at high speeds or on the highway. Everything is crisper, lighter, quicker. Especially the steering. And about the interior. The Mazda is very cool looking at night, and the gauges are easier to read and see. During the daytime you can tell they are not the higher quality units in the Benz. And that strip of silver in the Mazda was already starting to rub/scrap off, after only 9000 miles. Everything else in the MB interior just fits and looks better. However...ride quality is better in the Mazda. So were the seats. And that damned auto in the Benz makes you wonder if the right software is loaded. Won't hold the gear, hunts a lot...and what is going on right off the line? It acts like there's a discussion everything you take off, and it has to confir with some other computer before proceeding.

I'm not in the market for a car. But if I were, I think that as much as I like the idea of Benz, that Mazda would get serious consideration, especially if I could get a tru manual gearbox.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is @ Home
the 4 cyl models are mazda and the 6cyl are the fords

my friend just got a mazda 6 mazdaspeed and i got a chance to drive it and wow. i recommend you test drive one just for ****s and giggles if u like the way the regular 6 drove.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:54 AM

2005 C230 SS
interesting. you ever seen that show TopGear? they gave the Mazda 6 a helluva rating, and those guys are very critical at anything thats not european. heard nothing but good things about those mazdas, havent had change to drive one yet. about the 7 speed v6 2006 mercs. as i type this im in my 2nd 2006 loaner. this time is white. i gotta agree, i think the probnlem with this cars is the software or programing on the new auto. the v6 has a nice growl to it when u step on the gas, but off the line, it takes off kinda fast, but right away it seems like it slows down or something, even though ur foot is pressed down. my car is a '05 with the old 5 speed auto,. i gotta say shiftrs much better. it has a nice kick when u step on it. must be the torque. but yes, MB needs to address the problem with the 7 speeds.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Yeah, I love top gear. I haven't seen the Mazda 6 on there yet though. Do you know what season it was reviewed?

I would have to get the five door, unless you can get a coupe version of this car. I love the fastback roofline. I think the Mazda speed version is notchback sedan roofline only.

I got my own car back today. Good to be home. I like it better than either the loaner or the Mazda. Happy to get rid of the loaner. It got 17.6mpg during its time with me. Pathetic. I think the V6 7speed just ruined that car. The M271 version was just as quiet, cheaper, got better mileage, and was faster everywhere in the rev band. I noticed on the window sticker of a new one today, that it gets 19/25 for mileage. That's not that much better than a 345HP Hemi, which uses the old Benz 5speed auto, and gets 18/23. I'd rather have the 300C and its Hemi for sure. And if were really going to buy a new car, it would have to be the Sky Turbo...what an awesome looking car.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Top Gear Mazdaspeed 6 Review...

Interesting post Outland. Very informative! MB definitely needs to step up, and improve their quality and design issues......

And here's the Top Gear review of the MazdaSpeed 6......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbBWelmX9yI

Last edited by TA-9FF; 07-28-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Mazda 6 was actually a car I was considering over my car now. I'm glad I didn't get it because the mazdaspeed 6 was released, but at the same time I was very close. With the 10 G's extra I financed on my car, I was looking at potentially getting the mazdaspeed kit for that car (immediately), rims and suspension, but...obviously, I made my decision and very happy with it.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:12 PM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
I have no complaints about the MB automatic. Then again, mine is a 6-speed manual.

The C230 manual is a totally different animal than the automatic versions. Unfortunately, manuals are rare, and dealers don't like to stock them. I will never understand America's fascination with automatics.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by alpinweiss
I have no complaints about the MB automatic. Then again, mine is a 6-speed manual.

The C230 manual is a totally different animal than the automatic versions. Unfortunately, manuals are rare, and dealers don't like to stock them. I will never understand America's fascination with automatics.
In L.A. and N.Y., automatics are most popular due to traffic. I, on the other hand, chose an automatic just so that my parents would be able to drive my car in the event of an emergency.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Anyone else been on Route 24?
Old 07-29-2006, 02:05 AM

2005 C230 Sedan 6spd
I own a manual, but I see nothing wrong driving around in a Auto. Just personal preference.

I test drove both 2.3L version and 3.0 V6 version. The 2.3L engine is by far more responsive than the V6. Even though the V6 has more power. MazdaSpeed 6 is a great car that I would love to own, but I also don't like the front grill....
Old 07-29-2006, 05:50 PM

2005 C230 SS
hmm i just saw that top gear review of the mazda, great show Top Gear is, funny stuff. One thing, i dont think they have ever reviewed the c230 W203 sedan. at least i havent found it. i would like to see how our cars fare with their driver the Stig.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:30 AM

07 G35 Sport 6MT, 2005 C230K SS (sold), 1998 Jeep GC 4x4 (da-heep!)
My sister just bought one. Got a great deal on it too!

Something like 7k less than my car and more loaded. (I don't have a nav.)

She opted for the 4 cylinder though to save on gas. Only thing I didn't like about the car was that it felt "tinny" to me. Like the doors didn't feel solid. I guess that makes sense since the Benz is about 350 more pounds.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:12 PM

05' C230K Sport Sedan
and the MazdaSpeed3 is coming. 2.3 liter turbo-charged I4, 250+ HP and 280 ft-lb torque, 18" weel, 6-speed manual, 20/28 EPA, starting from $22,800.....

wow!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:13 PM

05' C230K Sport Sedan
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...er=upcomingMS3
Old 08-02-2006, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by eckc21
and the MazdaSpeed3 is coming. 2.3 liter turbo-charged I4, 250+ HP and 280 ft-lb torque, 18" weel, 6-speed manual, 20/28 EPA, starting from $22,800.....

wow!

It amazes me that MB continues to ignore this market. One of the biggest misfires with both the Coupe and the C230 Sport Sedans is the power. MB would steal sales like mad from MB and Audi if it built a C Class with a high output 4 cylinder and tightened up handling- for a decent price.

Its stupid that they just don't get it.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:17 AM

I can't totally agree with you on that. I think there's going to be some kind of a trade off. Sure the MazdaSpeed 3 is going to be fast, but will it be built solid? The typical 3 can’t hold a candle to our cars in terms of solidarity and quality of materials. The doors on those things feel like tin cans.

Nissan’s Sentra SE-R, Dodge’s Neon SRT-4, Mazda’s 3 all follow this philosophy: “Cram a huge engine in a small light car.” I don’t know about you, but I certainly would rather be in a crash in a C-Class over the above mentioned.

Additionally, our C’s aren’t exactly lightweights when compared to these cars. The trade offs are either going to be 1) reduce the quality of interior and body materials in favor of a monster engine or 2) raise the price.

Then there’s the brand image. Mercedes isn’t exactly looking to appeal to the younger racer crowd.

No doubt if our C’s had more performance they would steal sales from the other guys, but I doubt MB would be profitable at the starting price point of 29k. The 325i and A4 both have comparable performance to a C230. That’s why if you want a bigger engine you go to the C350 and you pay extra.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:23 AM

C320 Coupe
manuel and auto transmission makes huge difference. For example, i've driven a VW GTI automatic, with 150 HP, and a VW 2.0 Manuel 115Hp. At first i try the GTI with 150 HP and i feel the power is pretty good. Then i try on a 2.0 and i think it will be really slow. But when i try on it, manuel transmission makes HUGE difference, the power is sufficent too. THEN i try on a 2.0 auto, it's slow like turtle, kick down is slow, everything is slow.

MB's manuel gear box is not very good quality however, but I think it's still better than automatic, cuz i do think mercedes programmed the car to make the throttle and power curve more smooth as for comfort. If you have driven a BMW and MB u'd know what i mean. MB is slower start, smooth acceleration, while BMW is more responsive, but not as comfortable.

No doubt the Mazda is not bad, but don't remember MB has very strong body frame structure. A test were stated, nowaday most of the car has the ability of using the car frame structure to absorb impact and reduce damage to the driver and passenger. Yes they can do that, but end up the whole car gets wicked in shape. While they test out MB, they make the impact force goes UPWARD to the roof, thus not pushing the force else where in the car.

MB is about comfort and quality, i choose a Coupe cuz i want a little sport and comfort and the same time, and Manuel, C320. There are speed limit on all the street, so why bother going for more HP when u can't even use them?
Old 08-03-2006, 01:25 PM

05' C230K Sport Sedan
2006 Mazda 3 Crash Test Result:
Frontal - Driver: 4 stars, Passenger: 4 stars
side - Front: 3 stars, Rear: 3 stars

2006 C-class Crash Test Result:
Frontal - Driver: 4 stars, Passenger: 4 stars
side - Front: 5 stars, Rear: 5 stars

Source: National Highway Traffic Safety Adminstration (NHTSA)
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Remark: We are much safer from side impacts.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
mazda 6 isnt a bad car. I race one once and beat it by half a car length and wasnt surprised it kepts up, but idk the whole idea of mazda just turns me off, kinda like driving a saturn sky. its a nice looking car but...its a saturn.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:12 PM

Yeah that Sky is waaaaaaaaaaay to good looking.

If only they had put a little 'Chevy' badge on it.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:56 PM

2006 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by alpinweiss

Agreed. I also have an 06 manual and I think it is a very very good car compared even to the 325 (2.5 version) and the IS 250 or the Audi 2.0T.

The manual gearbox is the best kept secret in the range!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:20 AM

Is @ Home
i think mercedes wants to keep the status symbol of luxury cars instead of affordable/race car. obviously they are not going to fully load the cheapest benz model (although i think it does come well equipped) so they push for the higher end model. different car companies target different markets
Old 08-04-2006, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
I went car shopping last november with my gf's uncle for a mazda 3. He bought the sedan version but im a lover with the hatch. its a pretty decent car, I would consider it IF i need to be on a compact japanese level.

but the dash board does look quite sexy at night.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:26 PM

05' C230K Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by advans
I went car shopping last november with my gf's uncle for a mazda 3. He bought the sedan version but im a lover with the hatch. its a pretty decent car, I would consider it IF i need to be on a compact japanese level.

but the dash board does look quite sexy at night.
i agree..the mazda 3 to me is a Japanese-made european car. It offers good handling and nice looking (maybe not nice material) interior, along with excellent gas mileage. The interior's orange accent at night looks a bit like a BMW.

I almost bought that car when i bought my C.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by Evil Duffman
mazda 6 isnt a bad car. I race one once and beat it by half a car length and wasnt surprised it kepts up, but idk the whole idea of mazda just turns me off, kinda like driving a saturn sky. its a nice looking car but...its a saturn.
This Mazda 6 was clearly faster than the C230 V6 loaner...hands down.

As for the Saturn Sky, I love that car. Go check one out...its well put together. The design is actually derived from the Vauxhall VX Lightning show car- Saturns two cracks at the "SKY" were dreadful- the only thing that survived was the name. And with 260HP in the redline version, I'd be happy to be driving a Saturn. I used to have one. A 92SC Coupe,...back when Saturns were really Saturns, not rebadged GM crap. Was a great car.

Yeah that Sky is waaaaaaaaaaay to good looking.

If only they had put a little 'Chevy' badge on it.
I remember thinking at the autoshow that the Sky was a better looking car than the new Corvette.

There's been rumors that Chevy would make a version of the Sky/Solstice/Opel GT that would be called either "Sting Ray or Manta Ray", and sport a big V6 or a small block chevy, instead of the high winding turbo'd fours the other three use. Styling was much different. In a few years there will be coupe versions of these cars...I can't wait.