C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Installing a NAVIGATION GPS system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML550
Exclamation Installing a NAVIGATION GPS system

Guys,

I need your experience in this..
I would like to install a Navigation system in my 04 c320.

It will cost around 1000 buck at ebay...

My question is, what are the possibilities of problems I might face and is it recommended to install one or not?
Old 08-11-2006, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
well first of all, what kind of navigation are you looking at for $1000.

sometimes ebay ones are used, and have problems. i do not suggest.

get one from mbenznl.com

IF going for aftermarket, such as pioneer. installation would not be hard. can cost you around $2000 with a 6 disc cd changer.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:26 AM

ML550
thanks for your reply.

I will be buying a genuine mercedes benz one.

as per the sellers on ebay, they claim that all gps are in good condition plus the do have so many positive feedbacks...

what do you think?
Old 08-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Nothing MB related (sorry)
... that it's your money, and you can only spend it once. But when getting the (CD-rom based) comand from e-bay, you will still need the additional parts. Like GPS antenna, fixation screws, C-connector. MBenzNL can offer a complete comand kit, including warranty. Either for self installation, or to be installed by MBenzNL (depending on where you live).

greetingz,

BigSis
Old 08-11-2006, 10:25 AM

ML550
Do you have any idea on how much it would cost at mbenznl.com?

I visited their website but its a poor poor one, no pictures for their items and no prices and no even tel numbers.

I sent them an email and still waiting! I need to know how much it costs there!
Old 08-11-2006, 10:31 AM

C320 Coupe
IMO there is no reason of buying the OEM command navi, first it cost a lot more, second it doesn't have as much functions and features compare to the aftermarket ones right now. If you want factory look, tons of features, and reasonable price, get Pioneer Avic-Z1, on ebay it's selling for 1500 US, with TONS more features than Command. and it's In dash double din too.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...unit=AVIC%20Z1
Old 08-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 716 Likes on 697 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
COMAND is wider in dimension compared to 2DIN (ie. AVIC-xx) and there will empty gap on the sides if you go with aftermarket... i didn't like that look. so i went with COMAND.

on ML, 2DIN fits perfectly so i went w/ aftermarket. plus no need to worry about losing steering controls.

bottom line, if u want factory look and keep steering wheel controls, get COMAND. otherwise, go w/ aftermarket.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:29 AM

C320 Coupe
Originally Posted by mj50
COMAND is wider in dimension compared to 2DIN (ie. AVIC-xx) and there will empty gap on the sides if you go with aftermarket... i didn't like that look. so i went with COMAND.

on ML, 2DIN fits perfectly so i went w/ aftermarket. plus no need to worry about losing steering controls.

bottom line, if u want factory look and keep steering wheel controls, get COMAND. otherwise, go w/ aftermarket.
You can add in an add-on device which makes the steering wheel control works with the Avic. Z1 is 7" LCD screen, not 6.5", so the gap would be lesser i think. and Avic Z1 has option to add-on a bluetooth device for 100 bucks, and a blue tooth device you put in the car usually cost around 700 bucks alone, so i think it's worth it.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:38 AM

ML550
Yes, I have checked the pioneer but the thing is, I want an OEM look.
Nothing better than the OEM looks and feelings..

On ebay, I found two NAVs...

First is the OEM one of the 2004 C class for $ 750 and the second is the 2005 up one with a wider screen for $ 1,050.

Both sellers claim their systems work just fine with no dead pixels.....

I am not sure which one to choose from....

If I purchase the one with the wider screem, am I gonna have to change the whole dash panel or what?

any idea?
Old 08-11-2006, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by xecuter
Yes, I have checked the pioneer but the thing is, I want an OEM look.
Nothing better than the OEM looks and feelings..

On ebay, I found two NAVs...

First is the OEM one of the 2004 C class for $ 750 and the second is the 2005 up one with a wider screen for $ 1,050.

Both sellers claim their systems work just fine with no dead pixels.....

I am not sure which one to choose from....

If I purchase the one with the wider screem, am I gonna have to change the whole dash panel or what?

any idea?

the 2005 one will not work
get the other one
Old 08-11-2006, 01:17 PM

ML550
really? the 2005 will not work?

Why did the seller say it will work? ahh, i see he wants to sell then!

But any reason why it won't work?
Old 08-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Nothing MB related (sorry)
D2B wiring in pre 2005 C-classes. MOST wiring in 2005+ W203s. That's why it won't work. Unless you do as Sunman, and convert your car to MOST... but that is expensive, you will have to replace a lot of parts, and you will have to have a lot of time to complete this job.

BTW, I have been searching Steve's inbox twice, but can't find a mail of yours... could you please resend it?

greetingz,

BigSis
Old 08-11-2006, 01:50 PM

ML550
I have re-sent my email BigSIs

I sent it to : sales@mbenznl.com
Old 08-11-2006, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Originally Posted by advans
IF going for aftermarket, such as pioneer. installation would not be hard. can cost you around $2000 with a 6 disc cd changer.
I hope you mean total and not just for install. If you (or someone) pays $2,000 to install a simple nav system I would go and fill out a rape report at the police station.

Navigation is a funny thing, the new models are rarely on sale for an amount worth discussing ($100 off is nothing for a $1,700 unit) and previous models drop in value like an old S-Class. I saw a new AVIC-D2 unit at Best Buy, open box, full warranty, for $450. Ebay is the same, just make sure your buying from a trusted seller.

As for the size difference, you can get an adapter (under $50) that will modify the opening of the stereo location for you to fit any aftermarket unit. It will look factory and you won't have gaps.

Aftermarket units own OEM units in many ways. Usually they have better screens, many many more Points of interest. The new ones are 'learning', have bluetooth, in car dynamics, rear camera options, I could go on and on. In fact, with the exception of the 'true OEM look' I don't know of one advantage for an OEM unit (well, it's cheaper, so price I guess).

Erik
Old 08-11-2006, 02:27 PM

ML550
Originally Posted by tifosiv122
I hope you mean total and not just for install. If you (or someone) pays $2,000 to install a simple nav system I would go and fill out a rape report at the police station.

Navigation is a funny thing, the new models are rarely on sale for an amount worth discussing ($100 off is nothing for a $1,700 unit) and previous models drop in value like an old S-Class. I saw a new AVIC-D2 unit at Best Buy, open box, full warranty, for $450. Ebay is the same, just make sure your buying from a trusted seller.

As for the size difference, you can get an adapter (under $50) that will modify the opening of the stereo location for you to fit any aftermarket unit. It will look factory and you won't have gaps.

Aftermarket units own OEM units in many ways. Usually they have better screens, many many more Points of interest. The new ones are 'learning', have bluetooth, in car dynamics, rear camera options, I could go on and on. In fact, with the exception of the 'true OEM look' I don't know of one advantage for an OEM unit (well, it's cheaper, so price I guess).

Erik

Erik, thanks for your reply......it makes ots of sense.....
you guys confuse me...
Old 08-11-2006, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
well erik, My AVIC-N2 was installed with a 6 disc changer for $1700 with 2 kicker components
Old 08-11-2006, 03:43 PM

C320 Coupe
i've heard problems with several Command unit on navigating, and it renders the navigator useless and not useable. If the look is ur primary concern and not functions, go ahead. But i am just warning you how uselesss it is. BTW u buying the CD command or DVD command? CD for full america map is 13 disc, and i believe you cannot set ur destination from let's say east coast to west coast, since those are not in the same CD... lots of lots of problem, if u can live with this unit...
Old 08-11-2006, 04:29 PM

ML550
Here is the posting and some pictures of the NAV system on Ebay:

GENUINE MERCEDES BENZ CD 2.0 COMAND NAVIGATION SYSTEM

THIS IS OUT FROM NEW CAR W463 G55 AMG CLASS .
FIT ON

2001-2004 C CLASS
2003-2004 CLK CLASS
2001-2005 G CLASS

COMPATIBLE WITH NEW NERCEDES BENZ VEHICLES .
( THIS IS EURO COMAND , SO, YOU CAN WATCH DVD OR MOVIE ALSO, TV IN YOUR CAR ) ***

THIS AUCTION IS ONLY COME WITH THIS COMAND UNIT . NO CABLE , WIRE , AND CD ***

PS# This head unit is the EURO VERSION and can be used in the U.S.A. Instead of the SAT button in the US Version Cars, this has the TV / VIDEO button European comand is already repraming ready to watch dvd and tv . ( but , you need to get dvd player or tv tuner )

This button allows you to play DVD while IN MOTION. GUARANTEED!! ( BUT , YOU NEED TO GET DVD PLAYER ( ANY DVD PLAYER SALE ON ANY AUDIO SHOP OR FRY'S , BEST BUY ETC .. )

If you have the space in your center console or other place to add any car dvd player . your car to play DVD while in motion, just swap your original unit with this one and it will work. .

If you have navigation in your car, it will work also because you just need to plug it in. G CLASS IS PLUG IN PLAY . C CLASS AND CLK CLASS NEED TO REWIRE THE SYSTEM

WILL FIT ALL MERCEDES BENZ , BUT , NEED TO GET DASH TRIM AND CABLES !!!

WE WILL NOT REFUND OR TAKE RETURN , BECAUSE, ALOT BUYER DON'T KNOW HOW TO INSTAIL AND THEN JUST WANT TO RETRUN .

Here is a website where you can get installation instructions: http://www.ibex.co.uk/mbstuff/Retrofitting%20Comand.htm The installation is very easy.
Attached Thumbnails Installing a NAVIGATION GPS system-xcv.jpg  
Old 08-11-2006, 04:31 PM

'04 C230K
My 2 cents....

Garmin StreetPilot C340, small, rechargable internal battery - and it provides directions!
Old 08-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 C280 4matic
Originally Posted by powa
You can add in an add-on device which makes the steering wheel control works with the Avic. Z1 is 7" LCD screen
Do you know the name of the device and where i can find it
Old 08-11-2006, 06:39 PM

05' C230K Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by MrdC230K
Garmin StreetPilot C340, small, rechargable internal battery - and it provides directions!
I second that. I got a C340 just yesterday and it's a bummer! It works really nicely - even pronunces the names of streets. The signal is very strong. It recalculates the route (when you make wrong turns) so fast (in few seconds) so you'll never get lost. POI works great! For $450 it's really woth it cuz it serves the same function (or maybe better) as your $2000+ unit plus all the risk. And it's transferable from car to car.

Sorry this is a bit off topic but it's another alternative you could consider.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by xecuter
Do you have any idea on how much it would cost at mbenznl.com?

I visited their website but its a poor poor one, no pictures for their items and no prices and no even tel numbers.

I sent them an email and still waiting! I need to know how much it costs there!
Next time execute a STFF Link

......If you want factory look, ...... get Pioneer Avic-Z1,.....

......You can add in an add-on device which makes the steering wheel control works with the Avic......
Prove it. Otherwise
Old 08-11-2006, 07:48 PM

2005 C320 4matic + 2005 ML500
MBZ is so guilty for not using the same nav unit btwn europe and US and creating so much confusion!

Sorry for not directly related to the topic, but I still wanna try to hack 2005+ Euro unit (MOST wiring) and make it read US map DVD. If I succeed, 2005+ W203 owners can get nav for something like $1200. I think that this is the right price for installed nav unit, considering the fact that comparable external navs are sold below $1000. However, unfortunately I don't have the unit and I'm not willing to spend $1200 for an experiment. If anyone accidentally bought the unit and want to sell it to me to recover some of your loss, PM me.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:20 AM

ML550
Originally Posted by eckc21
I second that. I got a C340 just yesterday and it's a bummer! It works really nicely - even pronunces the names of streets. The signal is very strong. It recalculates the route (when you make wrong turns) so fast (in few seconds) so you'll never get lost. POI works great! For $450 it's really woth it cuz it serves the same function (or maybe better) as your $2000+ unit plus all the risk. And it's transferable from car to car.

Sorry this is a bit off topic but it's another alternative you could consider.

Do you have some pictures of the device you can post here?
Old 08-12-2006, 04:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Originally Posted by advans
well erik, My AVIC-N2 was installed with a 6 disc changer for $1700 with 2 kicker components
Damn, that's a lot of money for an install. 6th AVE, installs the Navi systems free if you buy it from them (usually its their weekly special). Otherwise, it should run well under $500...

They put in my N1, 6 cd changer, ipod adapter, xm adapter, sirius adapter, and stand-alone DVD player for $75...the navi & accessories were free, $75 was for the add-on DVD player.

Erik

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Installing a NAVIGATION GPS system