C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C class fuel tank design

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile C class fuel tank design

hi,
Good evening,

Help! help! help!
Who can help me to explain WHY & HOW does the fuel being suck from left chamber to Right chamber since the fuel pump in "right chamber" (Note: fuel tank is two chamber design- left & Right) ??

pls help to explain why & how fuel is always suck from left chamber to right chamber!!!

by,
wfsiew
Old 01-04-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
The why part is easy. The tank is a saddlebag design to go over the driveshaft. It's called making the best of use of space availible. I know the Corvette's have this type of tank as well.

The pump is in the passenger side while the hoses that connect to the fuel system come out of the top of the driver side fuel tank.

If you do a search on this in the Tech section here and visit the page below, you may learn a few more things about it.

http://www.installuniversity.com/mb/w203/w203/fp.html
Old 01-04-2007, 11:47 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
Audi A4 with Quattro driveline use this design as well. I believe some of the older Jaguars had twin tanks also, but they were mounted at rear fender height. (Look for some older Jaguars with the twin fuel fill caps.) Wizkid is right - it's for packaging purposes.

Bob
Old 01-08-2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by wizkid
The why part is easy. The tank is a saddlebag design to go over the driveshaft. It's called making the best of use of space availible. I know the Corvette's have this type of tank as well.

The pump is in the passenger side while the hoses that connect to the fuel system come out of the top of the driver side fuel tank.

If you do a search on this in the Tech section here and visit the page below, you may learn a few more things about it.

http://www.installuniversity.com/mb/w203/w203/fp.html
Thanks for your info guide, but i still cannot catch up the design:-
HOW does the fuel being suck from left chamber to Right chamber since the fuel pump in "right chamber"
Hope that u can explain more cleary to me as well..
Old 01-08-2007, 08:49 PM

Ford Pinto
Originally Posted by wfsiew
Thanks for your info guide, but i still cannot catch up the design:-
HOW does the fuel being suck from left chamber to Right chamber since the fuel pump in "right chamber"
Hope that u can explain more cleary to me as well..
My understanding is that it somehow siphons the fuel out of the other side via one of the hoses.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Its not just packaging...this is one of the safest positions on the car during an impact.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:24 PM

Ford Pinto
Originally Posted by Outland
Its not just packaging...this is one of the safest positions on the car during an impact.
Unless you are the one sitting on top of the tanks in the back seat. That is one bad enema!!
Old 01-08-2007, 11:30 PM

Hey, thank u for your reply...
can u explain how does it consider the safest positions on the car during an impact ??

i need know how does and what method it use to pull the fuel in from left chamber to right chamber everytime fuel pump operated instead of right to left chamber ??
Old 01-08-2007, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Unless you are the one sitting on top of the tanks in the back seat. That is one bad enema!!
Hardly. During a crash, because the metal here is folded(making it more rigid), and so far removed from the exposed sides of the car very little deformation of the floor pan happens. Serious impacts would also likely encounter the drive axles, which are very rigid.

Put it under the rear bumper or trunk, that is all designed to collapse in a crash to absorb the energy of the impact, and you'd have gas spraying everywhere. Its in the right spot where it is.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:52 AM

Hardly. During a crash, because the metal here is folded(making it more rigid), and so far removed from the exposed sides of the car very little deformation of the floor pan happens. Serious impacts would also likely encounter the drive axles, which are very rigid.

Put it under the rear bumper or trunk, that is all designed to collapse in a crash to absorb the energy of the impact, and you'd have gas spraying everywhere. Its in the right spot where it is.
I still cannot get your answer about why does the "theory" of that fuel tank design??
Old 01-09-2007, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by wfsiew
I still cannot get your answer about why does the "theory" of that fuel tank design??
I think we have encountered a language barrier.

I believe your question about how it works was already answered by Wizkid.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:48 PM

Ford Pinto
My understanding is that it somehow siphons the fuel out of the other side via one of the hoses.
As pointed out above, I answered your question about how the fuel moves from driver side to passenger then back to driver.

It siphons the fuel across through one of the hoses in the tank that goes from side to side.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:14 AM

I think we have encountered a language barrier.

I believe your question about how it works was already answered by Wizkid.
i get what your mean
Thanks to your explainantion..
Old 01-10-2007, 12:20 AM

As pointed out above, I answered your question about how the fuel moves from driver side to passenger then back to driver.

It siphons the fuel across through one of the hoses in the tank that goes from side to side.
thanks your explaination..
By the way, may i know WHY is the fuel in "left chamber always get empty first before the right chamber, is that influenced by fuel pump since it's fuel pump in right chamber" ?