C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

My Rant, getting tired of the complaining of lack of power a C230 has

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
My Rant, getting tired of the complaining of lack of power a C230 has

I am new to this forum as I recently purchased a C230. One underlying theme on here is 'what a snail this car is' or 'how can I get more power out of this engine'.

Maybe it is a generation gap on here (as I am one of the older ones according the a recent pole at 44) as all of you are looking to mod a car and make it as fast as possible and complain all the time about how slow this car is. You guys cry too much! You should have bought something else instead. Coming from my Acura 2.3CL, this MB is plenty fast with tons of pep, but again it has to be taken in context.

Any modern car design is a compromise, there is no perfect car out there that has all the qualities we want such as: performance, styling, utility, reliability, handling, comfort, fuel economy and purchase price. Like everything in life (including our girlfriends) it is a compromise. There will always be a quicker or faster car but at what costs and so many of you are obsessed with the notion that the C230 is too slow, (a Kia is slow or most Hyundai's are). I am sure Michael Schumacher would like to have the acceleration of a top fuel dragster for his F1 car but they can neither turn a corner nor stop and are good only for a couple quarter mile runs, but boy can his car handle and turn quick laps.

There was about 2 years ago an interesting segment on Dream Car Garage (SpeedTV) where they ran a Honda Odyssey vs a 1970 Plymouth Superbird around a course. To make the challenge equal; they piled in a bunch of people into the minivan to equalize the weights of the 2 vehicles. There was no doubt that the hemi engined Superbird accelerated at a lightening speed that the Odyssey could not match but by the end of the circuit (turns, braking zones etc) the Odyssey wiped the Superbird by posting significantly lower lap times and higher average speed.

What does this all mean?
Considering that the C230 kompressor is only a small 1.8L engine, it still had significant HP and torque specs advantage over the 1.8T A4, Passat and Jetta. When compared to BMW's offering in the same year, the 320 and 325 they also had significantly less in output than the North American spec 1.8 Kompressor. While the 330 had more, it was significantly more expensive and in a different class. The Vovo 2.5T had tons of power but the car did not handle anywhere near as well as our cars. While the Camry or Accord owner has bragging rights on their 3.0 V6 0-60 time, these cars are terrible coming in to a corner too fast or having efficient braking (Jap cars have the worst brakes, any aggressive braking and you end up with a set of warped discs) and talk about a boring ride! Here is a fun fact, our 1.8Kompressor had the highest BHP per litre than any of the other Mercedes in the pool including all the AMG. At 105HP/L it is only bettered by the SLR which has 112HP/L...make you kind of feel good eh? 10-15 years ago with the type of power output from such a small engine, it would have had an AMG badge on it. As far as the engine and car package goes, the 1.8 offers several advantages: instant acceleration and response times because of the supercharger, good fuel economy, and a lighter engine package over the V6 which gives a better weight distribution percentage. Disadvantages are: not as smooth as a V6, limited engine mods and a somewhate strange engine note and the fact we are driving a four-banger (which is always viewed as low-rent unless it was a 944 or 968)

If you all want brute power and acceleration for the same dollars or less, then you should have gone to a Maxima or Chrysler 300 5.7Hemi or Ford Mustang or even a PT Cruiser Turbo which will whip our butts in a straight line (but many of you would be complaining how much gas my first 3 examples use). Or better yet buy a F-series Lightning or Dodge Ram Rumble Bee or Ram SRT10 because even a C350 would struggle to catch catch them in a sprint and perhaps a C32 and C55 would not either, but wait til the twisties and then it is game over for the trucks.

I hope that you chose the C class for a whole host of qualities other than just only straight-line speed, which I did. While the car is neither fast nor slow, 7.5sec to 60 with my manual is not that bad in the real world and it quite spirited not to mention great throttle response to pass someone or tooling around town. Would I like it to be sub 6sec? of course I would but not at the expense to get me there...it does exist, called the C32 or C55 which is $$ and high insurance and fuel costs. But there is a host of many other qualities that I do like about the car which includes: handling, braking, the fun factor to drive the car, styling and size. Coming from years of driving Mazda's Honda's and Acura's, this car is better as an overall package to drive everyday in so many ways. My 90's MX6 turbo was quicker but nowhere near as sophisticated in driving dynamics.

For those that whine on here and are driving a slushbox (auto) get over it and be a real man and drive a stick, the car feels and responds totally differently. Auto is for wimps and chicks, not to mention in most cases is slower.

I like my car, I love the way it drives, I am sure there is a better ride out there but at what cost? My collegue's RS4 is everything and more but I do not have a $100k CDN to shell out for something I can not drive at a quarter of its capibilities on our roads here and with the amount of radar traps I would be found without a license and poor or in jail!

My 2 cents (by the way I do enjoy reading all the posts and ideas about our car)

Last edited by Boom vang; 01-19-2007 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL203
nicely said
Old 01-18-2007, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Originally Posted by midnight kompre
nicely said
+1
Old 01-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
You've got pm.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
very well said!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:17 PM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
To add to what you said, 7.5 second to 0-60 is the identical to the vaunted and expensive 1986-87 190E 2.3 16v, and is pretty close to an E30 M3. Going back a little further, an '03-05 C230 with a manual will easily take down most early/mid 1980s American "musclecars" like the Mustang GT, Shelby Charger, Monte Carlo SS, and H.O. or TPI 305 F-Bodies.

Trouble is that in today's times, the Odyssey minivan you discussed will give a C230 a really good run, as will a Camry or Accord. Technology has advanced light years and for $30-35k, this car should outperform a Sonata V-6. Hence some complaints about its performance.

No matter, the C230 is a nice little car. Your point is well taken.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:36 PM

Grand Cherokee Limited
i agree if you wanted a faster car those people should have bought a c32 or something else..the mustang cobras come with 390hp get one of those. i wanta c230 because it looks great, handles good, i love the look of it. if i wanted something fast ill get a mustang for half the price!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
ahem...i think someones GOT a nice modded "fastest" M271 here on the board. well as of now it is!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:41 PM

It really depends on what you are used to..I love my 03 c230, but it is slow(no dog though)compared to most of the other cars i drive on a daily basis, its a snail. Its all relative.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:48 PM

2014 Audi S5 Cabriolet 3.0T
This is America...Nothing is ever good enough, remember???

I agree...
Old 01-18-2007, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Boom vang - Very nice write up, I enjoyed reading your experience with the C230.

However, I disagree. It's not that I, specifically, am whining about the C-Class being slow, it's the fact that the C-Class is behind the competition. It doesn't feel like you get bang for buck. The honest fact of the matter is that the C-Class, unfortunetely, is underpowered and behind competitors like BMW - and that is why BMW has dominated this market segment (3-Series over the C-Class). In fact, had it not been for Mercedes giving the AMG Kit for free in the C-Class, I think it would stand no chance in this market.

While I've driven Accords, and Acura's and the likes - these cars have changed from those 90's models you are talking about. Today the new Nissan Altima offers a push-button start; which by all means is quite impressive. The power on those cars has proved to rival cars like Mercedes, BMW and Audi and I feel that BMW has taken the step to competely step out of this zone, whereas Mercedes has kind of stood still and let competitors innovate, overpower and overtake the C-Class. While the W204 will offer improvements, from what I've read about engine trims, it won't be so much better.

Therefore, all in all, yes the C-Class is a good car; it's got a nice design and decent performance; but by no means it is anything compared to what you could buy for $30K on the market today. Hopefully the W204 will help close that gap by offering more power to compete with the competitors, but I cannot under any means accept a Mercedes Benz getting whipped by a VW or Toyota, to me, it just makes Mercedes a '2nd best in the market', which I think Mercedes owners and the company should not accept/or easily take.

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
well tell you what! I have the fastest C class coupe on the block!

mainly because i'm the only ONE with a c class coupe on the block.

there are E, CLK, C32amg, and MLs. no c coupe!

but theres also a bad view. I have the slowest c class on the block lol

but...i do agree on new members complaning abt the lack of power on c230. if theres a lack of power and you hate it. why did you buy it! ahahha, didnt you test drive the car!
Old 01-19-2007, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan (W203)
I Agree

I'm with you, Boom Vang. I love my 2005 C230SS.. why? Because (in my opinion) its the best car out there! I did 6 months of research before buying it. I considered other cars like the BMW 3 Series, but the interior on those things are so fugly! I like the exterior of the Cadillac CTS but again, the interior, no good. My C is perfectly well rounded: awesome styling both exterior and interior, enough power to satisfy me, and the price was great.

If you think the C doesnt have enough power, get something more powerful. You bought the car knowing it had what it has. If you didnt do the research, thats your fault, not the fault of Mercedes. For those of you that say its Mercedes fault because they're not keeping up with the competition: why didnt you buy a BMW then? Its your choice. Buy the car that best suits you.

I could say my Grandma's Saturn is the best car for her: great milage and low price. She doesnt care about power and doesnt need to drive the flashiest car out there. Everyone has needs and if you want more power, get a C55. Want a more competitve price? Get a Kia.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
I don't know what you guys are talking about...

Old 01-19-2007, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
I do feel sorry however for the C240 owners with the SOHC V6 2.6L that puts out a lazy 168hp and 177torque.

I guess everything is relative, when the Boxster first came out, it only had 201hp, 181lbft, yet all raved what a wonderful car it was in so many ways, even 5 years later after its introduction in 1997 the car only increased to 217hp and 192lbft. Yet if we had one as our other car I am sure we would enjoy driving it eventhough the 350Z put out way more power yet the Boxster is one of the best ever handling cars. There are not too many people that snub their noses at that car, let alone at our C's

Of course those that needed more power there was the S version of the Boxster

Last edited by Boom vang; 01-19-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:31 AM

Grand Cherokee Limited
Amen!!
Old 01-19-2007, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
I don't know what you guys are talking about...

ditto !
Old 01-19-2007, 12:55 AM

Mercedes is gone physically, but still in my heart.
Originally Posted by tee_tz
Boom vang - Very nice write up, I enjoyed reading your experience with the C230.

However, I disagree. It's not that I, specifically, am whining about the C-Class being slow, it's the fact that the C-Class is behind the competition. It doesn't feel like you get bang for buck. The honest fact of the matter is that the C-Class, unfortunetely, is underpowered and behind competitors like BMW - and that is why BMW has dominated this market segment (3-Series over the C-Class). In fact, had it not been for Mercedes giving the AMG Kit for free in the C-Class, I think it would stand no chance in this market.

While I've driven Accords, and Acura's and the likes - these cars have changed from those 90's models you are talking about. Today the new Nissan Altima offers a push-button start; which by all means is quite impressive. The power on those cars has proved to rival cars like Mercedes, BMW and Audi and I feel that BMW has taken the step to competely step out of this zone, whereas Mercedes has kind of stood still and let competitors innovate, overpower and overtake the C-Class. While the W204 will offer improvements, from what I've read about engine trims, it won't be so much better.

Therefore, all in all, yes the C-Class is a good car; it's got a nice design and decent performance; but by no means it is anything compared to what you could buy for $30K on the market today. Hopefully the W204 will help close that gap by offering more power to compete with the competitors, but I cannot under any means accept a Mercedes Benz getting whipped by a VW or Toyota, to me, it just makes Mercedes a '2nd best in the market', which I think Mercedes owners and the company should not accept/or easily take.

Tee_Tz.
I agree completely. I had a 2003 C240 which still did not have power seats, heated seats, and was about as basic a model as one can find. I sold it and saved $5,000 by getting a 2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S which has heated seats, power seats, etc. It also in my opinion has a more comfortable interior and a much more peppy engine (at 260hp). For a 2003 Mercedes to lack that many options that companies like Toyota and Acura have already surpassed is in my opinion embarassing.

Don't get me wrong, the comfort and quality of the ride as well as the lack of cabin noise was amazing in the Mercedes. But for the price, the car should be a little closer to it's rivals.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:40 AM

C200K W203
Originally Posted by tee_tz

Tee_Tz.

What are you talking about? Its a Benz! You never get most bang for your buck from Benz. If you want most bang get something else. People who buy benz buy it because its a benz. There are other things that people are looking for in the car such as taste, prestige, and class. BMW is faster and better car no doubt, but driving Benz tells people about your stature (especially in Asian countries), thats why people are shelling out $100K for slow *** E200K or $350K for S500 just to show off his wealth.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"Double Stuff" SOLD | Nor*Cals "Pesky Audi"
I agree 100000%! I figure I went from 145+/-hp from my '94 accord to roughly 190hp+/- with INCREDIBLE handling, a nice sound, bells and whistles up the a**. So i dont have much to complain about, IF at all. i think the biggest gripe I have about owning my C230k, is the lack of ipod intergration.

Other then that, the car is the car i wanted. flaws and all... hence the reason I got it.

good write up!
Old 01-19-2007, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by BadAssC230k
I agree 100000%! I figure I went from 145+/-hp from my '94 accord to roughly 190hp+/- with INCREDIBLE handling, a nice sound, bells and whistles up the a**. So i dont have much to complain about, IF at all. i think the biggest gripe I have about owning my C230k, is the lack of ipod intergration.

Other then that, the car is the car i wanted. flaws and all... hence the reason I got it.

good write up!
I went from a 190hp 5 speed maxima to a 5 speed auto 215hp. but sometimes the maxima feels "quicker" than my c320. but tahts just a feel lol.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan (W203)
I went from a 2000 Chrysler Neon (5 Speed Manual) to my 05 C230 (6 Speed Manual). My Benz is a LOT faster, lol!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Not knowing that your engine is a 1.9L does take some of the steam out of your argument.

Otherwise, whining about someone else's whining doesn't seem to make much sense to me. People do go on to car forums to see how to improve their cars; I know that my car felt adequate when I got it, but I've improved it steadily over time, like many others here. I'm not sure why acknowledging a deficiency and trying to address it is a bad thing.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
So I guess after reading the posts I've realized: it TOTALLY depends on what you've come from or are used to driving. However, I'm a good example of a fair grader (well I think so), since I actually have a BMW and the Mercedes competing models - and guess what, they are the same year! (Granted the BMW is the ZHP).

Any by the way, whoever said the BMW interior is "fugly", um...

That's an alcantra steering wheel (extra thick); it's also the M-Steering wheel. That's the cube fiber dash; and oh, that's a bigger NAV screen you see there. And um, ohhh, that's a TRUE 6-Speed SHORT THROW manual transmission... AND UM, oh that NAV screen flips!

tommy - I agree with you. The problem is ignorance is bliss; one day, hopefully you'll all become successfully and drive even better Benz's like a E500, or even like a C-Class AMG, and you'll realize - wow, that car wasn't so fast!

I knew the power of the C-Class before I brought it and I don't want to sell my car; but this is a forum and we are simply stating that we wish the car had more power, and I feel, the car should have had more power - it's unlike Mercedes to be LOSING to competitors.

Live by my motto: "Never settle".

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Tee_Tz

I'm going to have to disagree with you...

Yes, my M3 has every bell and whistle that my C-Class doesn't have (like Nav, Bluetooth, Voice Dialing, etc.) but I have to admit that the interior does look a bit dated and not as inviting as my C-Class interior. In terms of technology, it is better, but it is a more expensive car by faaaar. I have the titan shadow trim and it looks good, but the overall design is still somewhat lacking. If my C-Class had command and digital climate control, it would look better hands down.

The pre-2005 w203 interiors weren't that good looking, I'll admit that, but the facelifted ones are MUCH better than the older w203 interiors and e46 interiors. The Command 2.0 for the facelifted w203's do flip and are DVD-based as well, and they do play MP3 discs, something that our MKIV's don't do.

Granted, the M steering wheel is better (I've heard lots of bad stuff on M3 forum about the alcantara not lasting though...), but the MB steering wheel doesn't look bad at all (well the facelifted 3-spokers).

My issue is that the e46 has digital climate control, but why is it only single zone? My 1997 C280 Sport had single zone digital climate control! at least the w203 is dual zone, albiet on the 2005's and aboves, most of the models feature analog controls.

For the practical stuff, the e46 doesn't offer as much interior storage space as the w203 (even the w202 for that matter), not close. The cupholders are pretty dated looking as well (might as well get a eurotray).

Furthermore, in terms of intuitiveness, the windshield washer controls and the SINGLE stalk on the w203 steering column is much better than having two stalks on the e46. The push once to single 3-times is better than the standard turns, and also just twisting the stalk is better than using an entirely different stalk. I also like the MB cruise control implementation much better.

Also, if you have the cold weather package, you can't manually use the headlight washers, they come on after 5 squirts off the windshield washer, there's a dedicated button on the MB that does that...

But, then again, I didn't buy the M3 for comfort or luxury

When I was buying my w203, I didn't even look at the C230 at first, coming from a w202 C280, I thought it was a step down. But for the differential in price between the C320 and the fact that there were virtually no differences in 2005 except about 20hp, to me, it wasn't worth it. It's all a trade off somewhere.

Yes, an Infiniti would be a better value, but come on, the interior looks so damn cluttered with 80 million buttons that can be easily combined into a few... It's all a matter of personal choice.

As for your statements about people buying an E500 or C AMG, after driving them, you'll come to appreciate your car more as well... After I test drove the CLK55, I appreciated my w203 a lot more b/c it handled better in my opinion than the boaty CLK55. My M3 makes me appreciate my w203, b/c the w203 doesn't use close to as much gas and it's a tad bit more icognito. I'm not as tempted to go all out in the w203 b/c I know it's limitations, but with the M3, I'm doing absolute dumb ****... It just gets me sometimes that people still think their cars are race cars when they're clearly not... I get people in normal w203's or E320's and E350's trying to race me in the M, now that is pretty funny.

Last edited by nlpamg; 01-19-2007 at 02:31 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Rant, getting tired of the complaining of lack of power a C230 has