C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Getting Dealer to Buy Back Car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 C230 Sport Sedan Orion Blue
Getting Dealer to Buy Back Car!

Hey All,

I have to say that I am happy with the looks both inside and out of my new car. Anyways, I have been having this ongoing problem with my car not starting when it sits for about 8 hours and it is cold outside. When I took the car to the shop, the CEL was on but I think it was due to the fact that I was really low on gas. I tried to get the light to disappear as per the manual but it didn't work. Anyways, I think the dealer just reset the code and gave the car back because the next morning it wouldn't start at all. They have been pretty accomodating ex: delivered a loaner 2007 C280 to my house for me, contacted Roadside Assistance for me etc. Anyways, I am nervous about this problem and even if they fix it, who is to say that other damage to my car hasn't occured or other unnecessary wear and tear. Maybe one day when my warranty is over something else will crap out and could be a direct correlation with this problem.

My question is and it is for anybody but specifically anyone in Canada who has had problems with their cars: Is there anyway I can just get my money back on the car and buy something else or keep my 05 Altima that starts everyday rain, shine, snow or cold? There is an organization called CAMVAP I believe which is a third party arbitrator. I could get them involved. I could hire a lawyer. I could go meet with the GM and raise hell like I have before and hopefully get what I want. Any advice on this would be appreciated. There isn't a Lemon Law in Canada unfortunately and I am not sure if this is one yet. Just want to get some other members perspectives on this.

I love Mercedes and I have always wanted this car but not if I have to risk being stranded, missing work etc. Thanks!

1stBenzo!
Old 02-22-2007, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
dont think you can get back the full price you paid, maybe just the KBB value..
just trade it in
Old 02-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
What's the standard "lemon" law in Canada or is there even a "lemon" law over there?
Old 02-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
How many times have you had it in to the dealer to "fix" the starting problem? Sounds to me by your post, only once. If so, sounds like you are not even giving the car or dealer a chance. No car is perfect, and will need some things fixed, especially the newer and more modern the car (electronics).

Not sure about Canada's lemon laws, but most states lemon laws require at least 3 visits to the dealer to fix the same problem or a certain number of dealer visits in a short period of time. Give us a little more background, so we can tell where you are at on your problems.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E53
off to a bad start.. but that might be it. if it still troubles you later on. take a few grands loss and sell it privately. it's far better than trading it back in .
Old 02-22-2007, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLK500
I don't think you can get full refund on that. I just hope that the dealer won't play tough as it may cost you more $$ on lawyer and court-related stuff. Good Luck tho!
Old 02-22-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan (W203)
If you've only had it in to the dealer that once, there's no way to know this early if the car is a "lemon". I say give the dealer a fair chance to sort out the issue. They may resolve it and then you could never have another problem with the car for years to come.

As far as I know, there are no lemon laws up here...
Old 02-22-2007, 11:54 PM

Yeah I think I have jumped the gun on this but I guess it is just that this is my dream car and I never expected it to have any problems. The dealer has actually been very good as mentioned above. They think it might be some sort of fuel pump issue. They think they have it cased but I told them to keep the car for a few nights and let it sit out in the cold and then see if it still fires up. Apparently they said something about a software upgrade which I am not familiar with. I just hope they fix it and like the previous post said, I maybe won't have any other problems with this car as long as I own it. I enjoy this forum, the input from everyone and the only reason I am a member is because I own a Benz and I am a proud owner.

This is the second time in as many days that it is has been in the shop to answer an above question. Also, there aren't any lemon laws in Canada either. I think that I just need to chill out a bit and give the dealer a chance. I guess I am trying to look for ugliness when it isn't there. Thanks folks!

1stBenzo!
Old 02-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Oh something I forgot to ask you earlier was are you running E85 in the car? I recall a few posts and my dealer has mentioned, that there have been some issues with running E85 that they have rectified with a ECM flash.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:42 PM

I am running 91 Premium Unleaded as recommended and I honestly don't think they sell E85 in Canada from what I recall. The dealer called me today and said that the car had a software upgrade done and it has started for 2 days in a row after sitting outside in the cold. They are going to keep it for the weekend and then try again on Monday morning. It is supposed to get even colder here this weekend (10 degree fahrenheit or so) so that should be a good test. One thing they had mentioned and this sounds correct is that when the car was originally brought to them on the flat bed, when you turned the car to the on position you should be able to hear the fuel pump in action but you couldn't. This is why other members recommend turning your car to on, waiting a few seconds and then starting it. Anyways, after changing something in the fuel pump it started but then they put my old one back in and it still started. Very peculiar situation. Hopefully this makes sense. Anyways, I will be happy to get my baby back and hopefully it cooperates more in the future!

1stBenzo!
Old 02-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Well that sounds like good news that your dealer may have fixed it. It is funny how so many new cars today, have problems and an ECM flash with the latest software fixes it. There are just so many damn sensors on cars nowadays, that if the ECM doesn't get the exact signal it wants, it doesn't start, goes into limp mode, etc. Sounds like a cold temperature issue with your car.