C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Aftermarket HID Conversion Kits & required setting XENON=PRESENT thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by e1000
Exactly what do you mean by saying "kia's of the hid world" then?

I believe you're referring to this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...185&highlight=

In the thread you claim that the auto-leveling feature in the OEM headlights are able to prevent flicker. This is absolutely absurd. The motors in the headlights just don't work that quickly. The sensors are on the sway bar and only respond to general inclines or declines, not little bumps in the road.

Comparing most OEM Xenon and OEM Bi-xenon projectors is like splitting hairs. They are all generally of high quality and 99% of the people out there don't give a crap about color and sharpness of cutoff, beam pattern, etc. What does matter is when people use re-based bulbs in halogen reflector housings or even worse, aftermarket projectors like the ones made by Depo.

Here's an example of the light output of the Depo projectors retrofitted with an H7 HID kit. My point is, even the "kia's of the hid world" still give of MUCH MUCH better light than the Depos.
kia's are not exactly popular cars and not considered the best in there class. e46's are not the most popular hid projector that retrofitters use and not considered the best in there class of hid projectors.

I dont understand where you got the idea there bad because there popular unless you think KIA's are really popular. I dunno, maybe they are in AZ. In California, there considered entry level cars, most people prefer not to drive.

Comparing OEM HID projectors is not splitting hairs when the performance between them is significant. The pictures i posted between the ece and dot versions of the same projector is proof of this.

Comparisons between projectors does matter because most people would like to receive the most performance from the money they spend. I suggested the ece e46 projectors because the cost was the same and the output was better.

I already stated in my previous post that any real hid projector will be superior to any halogen solutions. I dont see why you need to post a pic of a halogen depo projector with a hid kit, unless your agreeing with me.

The original poster asked about the validity of retrofitting e46 projectors and opinions on them. I don't understand why your hijacking his thread to argue with me about cut offs, flicker, and auto leveling lights.

So far you haven't provided any concrete proof to disprove anything i've said. All you said is i'm incorrect by stating your personal opinion, so its a opinion and that's it.

You can just post all those arguments back on the other thread and just answer the original posters question.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
kia's are not exactly popular cars and not considered the best in there class. e46's are not the most popular hid projector that retrofitters use and not considered the best in there class of hid projectors.

I dont understand where you got the idea there bad because there popular unless you think KIA's are really popular. I dunno, maybe they are in AZ. In California, there considered entry level cars, most people prefer not to drive.

Comparing OEM HID projectors is not splitting hairs when the performance between them is significant. The pictures i posted between the ece and dot versions of the same projector is proof of this.

Comparisons between projectors does matter because most people would like to receive the most performance from the money they spend. I suggested the ece e46 projectors because the cost was the same and the output was better.

I already stated in my previous post that any real hid projector will be superior to any halogen solutions. I dont see why you need to post a pic of a halogen depo projector with a hid kit, unless your agreeing with me.

The original poster asked about the validity of retrofitting e46 projectors and opinions on them. I don't understand why your hijacking his thread to argue with me about cut offs, flicker, and auto leveling lights.

So far you haven't provided any concrete proof to disprove anything i've said. All you said is i'm incorrect by stating your personal opinion, so its a opinion and that's it.

You can just post all those arguments back on the other thread and just answer the original posters question.
Ok, how about we go back to the patent you posted:

US Patent 6693380

The patent you referenced is actually a system to reduce the amount of adjustments a headlamp motor makes, thereby increasing the durability of the system. If you read down at the bottom in the details, it says "Therefore, average pitch angle data on plural different moving times (moving time average pitch angle data), such as 1 sec. average pitch angle data and 3 sec. average pitch angle, are taken, and these data are compared with each other. In case that there is difference between the data, it is found that the vehicle posture does not become stable, and in case that there is no difference, it is found that the vehicle posture becomes stable. Therefore, in the invention, stability of the vehicle posture that is a condition necessary to drive-control the actuator is judged by whether there is difference between the average pitch angle data on the plural different moving times (moving time average pitch angle data)." So clearly, it's talking about 1 or 3 second averages of pitch changes, not instantaneous reaction to uneven surfaces. Here's some more clarification "Further, since the actuator is not driven every time the posture changes but it is driven only in case that the posture becomes stable (since it is not driven before the posture does not become stable), the number of operations of the actuator is reduced correspondingly"

Here's another patent for you, more of the same

I never said Bosch projectors were popular amongst retrofitters, I did say they were popular in general. This statement was based on the fact that they are used as OEM in a lot of cars, particularly, the E46 3-series, C-class Sedan, Audi TT, and some VW's.

Yes there is a difference between ECE and DOT projectors, but ECE projectors aren't fitted here and technically aren't legal.

Last time I checked you weren't a mod, and I can post wherever I want until a mod says otherwise.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 520i, C180
Unhappy WOW

What have I done?
Guys you are making me feel guilty for starting this Tread.
It was not my intention to start a discussion like this. I just wanted to know about the quality, since I've just done a retro on my W203 using DEPO lights and an E55 projector and it wasn't really what I expected it to be. But for what I saw on the pictures here now, I think there are better projectors out there I'll keep trying until I get it right. I must say I liked the TSX Projector.

Regards.

Last edited by hubertt; 09-16-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by hubertt
What have I done?
It was not my intention to start a discussion like this. I just wanted to know about the quality, since I've just done a retro on my W203 using DEPO lights and an E55 projector and it wasn't really what I expected it to be. But for what I saw on the pictures here now, I think there are better projectors out there I'll keep trying until I get it right. I must say I liked the TSX Projector.

Regards.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by e1000
Ok, how about we go back to the patent you posted:

I never said Bosch projectors were popular amongst retrofitters, I did say they were popular in general. This statement was based on the fact that they are used as OEM in a lot of cars, particularly, the E46 3-series, C-class Sedan, Audi TT, and some VW's.

Yes there is a difference between ECE and DOT projectors, but ECE projectors aren't fitted here and technically aren't legal.

Last time I checked you weren't a mod, and I can post wherever I want until a mod says otherwise.

Actually most of the german oems actually use hella and valeo for there hid applications. They use bosch for some of there entry level and older models like the e46.

Most of the japanese luxury companies use stanley.

Retrofitting in any DOT projector is illegal as well, unless you buy the oem bixenons.

Believe whatever you want, i'm not going to waste anymore time to do the research to disprove anymore of your statements.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hubertt
What have I done?

Regards.
all good man, long as some of what we said can help.

I know exactly how you feel. When i had the e46's in my civic, i was amazed how much brighter they were then halogens. I was disappointed when i pulled up next to a s2000 and his light would drown out all my light and the cut off was so much better then mine.

Bang for your buck, the tsx projectors are one of the best. You can buy any clear lens tsx projector for $160. You can buy fx projectors for $140.

If you go with the eagle eye head lights, it'll give you more options on what kind of projectors you can use.

If you want to stick with the depos, you can probably go with fx projectors, e46 or stick with your e55's. I don't think you would have room for the other projectors.

This is should give you a good start. It has pics of the projectors and cutoffs.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=287

here's a link with projector dimensions to give you an idea how much room you have to work with.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4394
Old 09-17-2008, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
I'll save everyone some time & money.
I've done my research...

DEPOS suck !

ok, is everyone happy now ?
time to close this thread...
Old 09-17-2008, 11:27 AM

BMW 520i, C180
Talking O.K.

Ok, thanks everyone for all the advices.

Thread Closed
Old 09-18-2008, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...a panty dropper...
Black or Regular Projector Headlights (W203)

So I have decided to get projector headlights but I am contemplating on getting the black projector headlights like these, http://quartermilemotorsports.com/ca...***%20w203.jpg or if I want the regular ones like these, http://www.maxaudio.com.my/images/up...L-007-BENZ.jpg

My car is Magma Red and if I were to get the black I would get a black grill and for the regular I would get the chrome. Any ideas or possibly some good photo shop skills? Appreciate any ideas or help....
Old 09-18-2008, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
I vote a hellz no on the black headlights. My vote is the for the chrome housing since that looks much cleaner. The black ones make the car look cheap in my opinion.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i say black...it would make a good contrast to your red. I have the black ones on my silver c32.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
black / no-black...
you're going to get 10,000 people telling you one or the other.

Here's my advice...
what do YOU like ?
what looks best to YOU ?
what do YOU want on YOUR car ?

yes, people's opinions are nice, but ulitmately it's YOU not them driving the car.

have fun !
Old 09-18-2008, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...a panty dropper...
I know its my opinion but I havent seen any black projectors on any W203s yet so I was thinking about being the first but I have no idea how it would look. I will also either paint my stock grill black or get the 3 slat grill in black to make them blend if I do go with this. I was just hoping someone had pics of the red with these lights or even Photoshop them.

Temjinx2 post pics if you can on the black projectors on your silver C32.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the pics on my sig and pics on the canyon run meet.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=259735&page=2
Old 09-19-2008, 02:06 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 C320
HELP...hid kit

Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
These are the ones I just recently picked up - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123
Yes it's ebay but I must say I am much more impressed by these than the Depos and would go so far as to say they kick Depos butt. These look amazing in person and are a huge bang for the buck. The guy also preinstalled the HID conversion kit since I already have the factory xenons. I will also copy and pate the generic instructions he sent me that went along with the lights.

We do not have an installation guide made exactly for each model/year of headlights we sold. But here is how to connect the HID part.

Here is the basic concept. The car will provide power to the factory xenon ballast and the ballast then power the HID bulb.

Now, since the whole unit has the headlight with HID bulbs pre-installed inside and pre-connected to the new xenon ballast, and then you will see 2 wires coming o ut from the new xenon ballast with 2 blue butt splices at the end. One wire is RED (positive) and the other is BLACK (negative).

What you need to do is to dis-connect the power going to the factory xenon ballast and re-connect them to those 2 wires (red and black with blue butt splices). Dis-connect the battery before you do any of the above!

You will locate the wires coming from the car and to your factory xenon ballast, those 2 wires are the power supply wires from the car, one of them will be the positive and the other is the negative. Identify them and disconnect them and re-connect them to the red (+) and black (-) wires by clamping down the blue butt splices. That is all you need to do.

The high beam and signal part, simply un-plug the factory adapter that goes into the factory headlight's back and plug it to the new headlight's back where there are several metal pins inside that slot. Then you got power on the high beam, parking light and signal lights.

Regards,
In regards to the bold red paragraph...anyone can point to me what wires from the car i need to connect?.. im dumbfounded right now

I bought what the ebay link provided above for my 2001 c320 sedan
Old 09-19-2008, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...a panty dropper...
Appreciate it Temjinx2
Old 09-19-2008, 03:59 AM

2002 CL203
Originally Posted by joebull7866
In regards to the bold red paragraph...anyone can point to me what wires from the car i need to connect?.. im dumbfounded right now

I bought what the ebay link provided above for my 2001 c320 sedan
According to the link on ebay, the headlights are plug and play, wire splicing is not what I would call plug and play.......

From what I can gather, you will need to splice the wires from the headlight onto your original headlight connector. From what I remember, the big brown one is ground the the rest I can't remember.....
Old 09-19-2008, 05:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you can find your answer on the last few pages of this thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...188766&page=18
Old 09-19-2008, 06:05 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
MTec HID kit

hey guys I'm planning to get some HIDs for my 02 c230k coupe since my H7's burnt out again.

But im worried if this will be just a futile effort

anyone installed mtec hids or any hid into the coupe? for the 2002 version? any troubles and is it an easy install one can do themselves??
Old 09-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Please search. HID kits of varying manufacture have been mentioned.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:04 AM

'05 C230K SS Granite Grey Metallic
Originally Posted by BigBodyBenzC240
I know its my opinion but I havent seen any black projectors on any W203s yet so I was thinking about being the first but I have no idea how it would look. I will also either paint my stock grill black or get the 3 slat grill in black to make them blend if I do go with this. I was just hoping someone had pics of the red with these lights or even Photoshop them.

Temjinx2 post pics if you can on the black projectors on your silver C32.
Just as Saprissa said, everyone will have an opinion on this, which is what you are asking for. I say you answered it with the statement above. If you haven't seen anyone around with them, then do it to be different. Now, with that said, please don't use that approach for everything, just because no one has curb feelers, you get the picture. This mod is on my list and they will certainly be black.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 C320
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
you can find your answer on the last few pages of this thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...188766&page=18
I have but still lost...I searched and searched and still frickin lost...

I will take pictures and post it up ASAP so you experts can help me

thanks!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:18 PM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
try this link:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/188825-hid-fog-lights-headlight-install-guide-211-e-series-may-work-other-series-models.html

If your hid kit is plug n play you don't need to splice into any wires. The plugs should snap right in. Did you get the H7 kit?
Old 09-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 C320
Originally Posted by KA8
try this link:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188825

If your hid kit is plug n play you don't need to splice into any wires. The plugs should snap right in. Did you get the H7 kit?

i read that link too...my projector w/pre installed hid comes w/ the black and red wire at the end of the ballast...its not really a plug and play.

Last edited by joebull7866; 09-19-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 C320
PICTURES....

RIGHT SIDE
Name:  z.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  40.1 KB
Name:  zz.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  33.1 KB
LEFT SIDE
Name:  zzz.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  38.4 KB
RIGHT SIDE
Name:  zzzz.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  33.2 KB
LEFT SIDE
Name:  zzzzzz.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  37.3 KB
HID
Name:  zzzzz.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  31.6 KB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HID Conversion Kits & required setting XENON=PRESENT thread