C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

EMERGENCY My Bi-Xenons Burned,Melted and Smoking HORROR STORY PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry EMERGENCY My Bi-Xenons Burned,Melted and Smoking HORROR STORY PLEASE HELP

This is a horror story. I never could imagining this happening but it just happened to me just like other forum members from another thread. I need help because I cant drive my car at night. So my Drivers Bi-Xenons are flickering violently all of a sudden. They kept going on and out. Then finally I realized their was a problem. I check the drivers Bi-Xenons and open the cap, and all I smell is smoke, and the red peice was melting, and burnt. It was smoking really bad. I therefore took the connection cables off so it wouldnt get worst, I didnt want any sparks. I cannot drive my car at night either. My car is out of factory warranty but it does have extended starmark warranty until 2009. From what I hear this is a big repair and the whole assembly must be replaced. Problem is my Bi-Xenons where not factory, bc someone put them on the car bc its missing the washers. But however they are OEM MB Bi-Xenons though. Since the car is under extended warranty will they cover the repairs ? If not what cost will I be looking at to fix this repair ? I also hear that their was a recall on the harness. Please give me some advice. Thanks

Heres what it looks like

Last edited by damienmb; 04-21-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by damienmb
This is a horror story. I need help because I cant drive my car at night. So my Drivers Bi-Xenons are flickering violently all of a sudden. They kept going on and out. Then finally I realized their was a problem. I check the drivers Bi-Xenons and open the cap, and all I smell is smoke, and the red peice was melting, and burnt. It was smoking really bad. I therefore took the connection cables off so it wouldnt get worst, I didnt want any sparks. I cannot drive my car at night either. My car is out of factory warranty but it does have extended starmark warranty until 2009. From what I hear this is a big repair and the whole assembly must be replaced. Problem is my Bi-Xenons where not factory, bc someone put them on the car bc its missing the washers. But however they are OEM MB Bi-Xenons though. Since the car is under extended warranty will they cover the repairs ? If not what cost will I be looking at to fix this repair ? I also hear that their was a recall on the harness. Please give me some advice. Thanks

Heres what it looks like

Liar

that is Nick's problem and His Pictures (C24owner)
Old 04-21-2007, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
ummm... you stole pics from c24owner's thread and made this one up because...?
Old 04-21-2007, 01:28 AM
Banned

^I didnt say those was my pics. I used those pics to demonstrate what it looks like. This just happened tonight, and I check the Bi-Xenons on the passanger side that was flickering and this is what it looked like. Please help.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32 ///AMG
^I didnt say those was my pics. I used those pics to demonstrate what it looks like. This just happened tonight, and I check the Bi-Xenons on the passanger side that was flickering and this is what it looked like. Please help.
okay, post pics, then we will help.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:33 AM
Banned

What ? Why would I just make this up out of the blue ? I need help. My Bi-Xenons were smoking and burning. I am not going to play with them, bc the red peice was melted. I disconnected the cable to the headlight assembly for safety. Would the dealer cover this under extended warranty ? Please help this is an emergency, and cops could write me a ticket also which can stay on my insurance as a violation and make insurance go up.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:59 AM
Banned

Anyone ? Please Help this is an Emergency.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32 ///AMG
Anyone ? Please Help this is an Emergency.
call 911
Old 04-21-2007, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E90 M3
Originally Posted by rlee02135
call 911
AHHAHAHA!!!
hey, rlee u coming to the meet, right?
Old 04-21-2007, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by kevblah
AHHAHAHA!!!
hey, rlee u coming to the meet, right?
yep..planning on it
Old 04-21-2007, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
Originally Posted by rlee02135
yep..planning on it
sweeet...i cant wait to see that car of yours...
i hope i dont pass out
Old 04-21-2007, 02:20 AM
Banned

Is anyone serious on this forum ? Can anyone answer this question please. The car didnt come with factory installed Bi-Xenons but the car had OEM Bi-Xenons installed after purchased by the first owner. When I got the car it had Bi-Xenons minus the headlight washers thats how I know they were not factory installed. Also at one dealer I took my car in for service and they told me my car wasnt suppose to have Bi-Xenons in the first place. They asked me how did I get them I said the car was purchased like that. Will this igniter problem be covered by MB Starmark Extended Warranty since Bi-Xenons were not factory installed but are MB OEM Bi-Xenons ?
Old 04-21-2007, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by kevblah
sweeet...i cant wait to see that car of yours...
i hope i dont pass out
LOL...you won't...HREs are off the car
Old 04-21-2007, 02:28 AM
Banned

Can someone please answer my questions ? I am having a problem and seeking advice. My drivers Bi-Xenon isnt working and its scary opening a headlight cover and you smell smoke and something appears to be burning. Will this be covered under extended warranty dispite it wasnt factory installed but oem bi-xenons ? If not will I need a whole new headlight assembly ?
Old 04-21-2007, 02:46 AM

C320 Coupe
seems like u need a new bi-xenon, i assume ur car is a sedan? then the bi-xenon are easier to come by. Dealership won't do anything for you cuz it's not factory install (they will say anything to make them not to work for you)
Old 04-21-2007, 02:50 AM
Banned

^Well its not a sedan. Its a coupe. I hear coupe parts are hard to come by, and especially bi-xenons so I am worried that it would cost me a fortune. Should I go to another dealership and see if they can perform this repair under an extended warranty issue and have the headlight assembly replaced ? So what it wasnt factory installed, this is how I bought the car and it came with OEM Bi-Xenons. Plus this is also a safety issue and I need both headlights operating in order to drive at night.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32 ///AMG
^Well its not a sedan. Its a coupe. I hear coupe parts are hard to come by, and especially bi-xenons so I am worried that it would cost me a fortune. Should I go to another dealership and see if they can perform this repair under an extended warranty issue and have the headlight assembly replaced ? So what it wasnt factory installed, this is how I bought the car and it came with OEM Bi-Xenons. Plus this is also a safety issue and I need both headlights operating in order to drive at night.
the only way you will find out is by trying it.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:00 AM

Can someone please answer my questions ? I am having a problem and seeking advice. My drivers Bi-Xenon isnt working and its scary opening a headlight cover and you smell smoke and something appears to be burning. Will this be covered under extended warranty dispite it wasnt factory installed but oem bi-xenons ? If not will I need a whole new headlight assembly ?
the thing is you really should take pictures of the damage in YOUR car so some of the people here can better asses on your situation. If not from anyone just ask c24owner what he did or something like that. Call MB and ask them what is their protocol on this without giving your info and pick an MB shop outside of your immediate area since this problem is not common anyways I think. Tell MB the problem and with a stern voice tell them its their fault and dont even mention it wasnt stock!
Old 04-21-2007, 03:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 coupe , NOt THE AVATAR!!

I SEE THIEF!!
Old 04-21-2007, 04:50 AM

C320 Coupe
he already stated that he took the pic from one of the member in this forum cuz he's having the same problem, so guys go easy on him if he's really having problem.

Anyways, if it's coupe part, contact www.mbenznl.com and ask him to get you a repair IGNITOR kit, then u'll be good to go
Old 04-21-2007, 08:23 AM

Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
It is easy enough to sign the images to limit others from using them without attribution.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Banned

Before I get an igniter kit, I am going to see if this repair would be covered under Extended Starmark Warranty ? Is headlights usaully covered under Extended Warranty ? And also do you think this is a result from a bad xenon bulb ? I just recently changed bulbs not too long ago and wasnt having a problem. Then out of the blue I am having this same problem as another memeber. Either way I just want to save money on repair and see if the Extended Warranty will cover this.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Banned

For those who think I was lying heres my pics this morning. Why would I make something up. Also I found out the bulb was melted too. Anyways Please help me.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Maybe that is why the washers are factory installed on Bix equipped cars. They are not to clean the headlights, just extinguish them when they catch fire!

Concerning the warranty, it only covers parts that were on the car when new, or those authorized retrofits like satellite radio.

Some cars can be retrofitted with Bix, but you must install the whole package with levelers and washers and have the dealer enter it into the factory data system for your VIN. While the factory offers a Bix kit for some cars, MBUSA does not offer it to dealers, so you are stuck in a classic Catch 22.

The bulbs you purchased, probably on the cheap, are possibly counterfeit, and the plastic used in the base is not suitable for high voltage use. The insulation breaks down and a fire starts. The fire ruins the connector on the igniter, increasing your loss. The lesson is be sure to use genuine Phillps or GE lamps. If the price is too good to be true, the bulbs are fake.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Banned

Well the MB Dealer I bought it from sold me with the Bi-Xenon Package but they were not factory installed. It also came with 05 Tails, Fogs, and Blinkers too. So If I bought the car from a MB Dealer with all this stuff on it on delivery shouldnt they cover it under extended warranty ? I find it BS if they dont. I need some advice on how can I get this repair covered under extended starmark since they told me it covers all major repairs except services.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EMERGENCY My Bi-Xenons Burned,Melted and Smoking HORROR STORY PLEASE HELP