C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Japanese Spec Comand on W203 (C240), FM Radio Frequency change

Old 06-05-2007, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240 4matic
Japanese Spec Comand on W203 (C240), FM Radio Frequency change

I have just bought a Japanese spec C240. The car is from 2004 (pre-facelift) and it is in a really good condition and I am intending to take it back to Europe when I leave Japan. It has Comand 2.0 to my understanding (see picture). I don't care about TV and Navi but I would really like to get the radio modified to European FM frequencies. I have read from some forums that this Japanese spec Comand is manufactured by Panasonic. I also have a CD changer in the glove box as well as AUX IN.

Does anyone know any "secret codes" how to hack the radio to European frequency? Can it be done by hacking the Comand?

If the only option is to change the Comand to a European spec, then I will probably throw away this Japanese spec Comand and buy an aftermarket radio from Pioneer which has an iPod link. I don't like this option because the car has very low mileage and it is practically like new. The aftermarket radio will never look like the original OEM one. I would be happy with FM radio and current CD changer and I could live without iPod link. However, if it is not possible to change the FM frequency band, I do not want to spend money on European spec Comand and iPod kit. I will then rather buy a Pioneer with iPod link integrated in it (and suffer with the looks). It is a second hand car afterall and another Comand would cost fortunes. Does anyone have experience in getting an aftermarket stereo installed and maintaining steering wheel controls (at least volume but frequency / radio station would also be nice).

The car has also a cable next to the Comand on the passenger's side (see picture). Does anyone know is this for a phone and what would it take to install a "European" GSM/3G phone, or is it for Japanese phone only? But again, if it is not possible to get the FM frequency band adjusted, I will go for a Pioneer and forget about other gadgets.
Attached Thumbnails Japanese Spec Comand on W203 (C240), FM Radio Frequency change-stereo.jpg   Japanese Spec Comand on W203 (C240), FM Radio Frequency change-connector.jpg  
Old 06-05-2007, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Tokyo Drift!!!! Woot Woot!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 711 Likes on 692 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
steve mentioned it b4... it WON'T work outside of JPN...
Old 06-05-2007, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Something Slow
Originally Posted by MJ50
steve mentioned it b4... it WON'T work outside of JPN...
that sucks the screen is nice and BIG...
Old 06-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 711 Likes on 692 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
widescreen is nice, but worthless if it doesn't work...
Old 06-05-2007, 01:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E53
so just watch tv and listen from the cd changer.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:17 AM

C240 4matic
Re: Japanese Spec Comand on W203 (C240), FM Radio Frequency change

Thanks for the feedback. So it seems it is not possible to hack the existing system. It seems the options are 1: FM frequency expander (pros: could keep current HU, cons: not able to see station names, performance?) or 2: aftermarket stereo (pros: better radio compatibility, cons: lack the looks of OEM, steering wheel control?).

Both options cost something. I have to involve a carage to remove the old unit and make the installation. Therefore, at the end of the day buying a new Pioneer unit will not be much more expensive than installing a FM frequency expander. You can get a decent Pioneer with iPod connectivity for couple of hundred US. Does anyone have experience in maintaining the steering wheel control for an aftermarket stereo (at least volume but hopefully frequency / radio station as well)?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The Japanese market FM tuners cover a different range of frequencies than those used in Europe. There are other technical standards that differ between the signal broadcast in Japan v. Europe. The IC in the radio is strictly for the Japan, and even if you changed it to a tuner suitable for Europe the software in the comand to control the tuner would not be compatable.

The steering wheel controls are not connected directly to the audio head unit in your car. The switches on the wheel are read by the front CAN in the car, and codes are sent to the "audio gateway" on the CANbus. The codes are in "Mercedes Speak" and any aftermarket device would need to read those codes and translate them to a form useful by the Pioneer unit you are considering. Possible? Yes. Expensive? Yes. Another consideration is that your car sends audio signals to the power amplifier on fiber optic cables. The audio signals from the changer are also sent optically to the head unit. In a 2004 car the optical fiber system is called D2B. Your CD changer would need to be replaced if you put in a new aftermarket head unit. The new head unit would need a built-in or separate power amplifier to replace the unit in your car now.

I have a question about your plans to take the car from Japan to Europe. Is that something that is easy to do? I needed to import a car from Hong Kong to France for use in a film. Customs threw up a lot of roadblocks about the car's lighting, emmisions, safety equipment, and the fact that the car was right hand drive. I could only get a temporary permit for 6 months.

My advice would be to change the Comand in Europe for a local unit. I think when all is said and done you will find the price very reasonable when contrasted with the total bill to change the unit. You would of course get all the toys that come with the factory unit.

May I suggest you contact the good folks at MbenzNL.com. They might have a Comand suitable for your car at a very reasonable price.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:11 PM

C240 4matic
Your car import to Europe sounds like a normal customs issue. I bought European made car which is left hand drive. In addition, the European cars sold in Japan seems to be very similar to cars sold in Europe unlike those sold in the US. The emission requirements in Japan are also very strict, so this will not be an issue with relatively new cars.

There is also one more big difference. That is that I am moving back to Europe and taking the car as a moving item.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by kokeilut
Your car import to Europe sounds like a normal customs issue. I bought European made car which is left hand drive. In addition, the European cars sold in Japan seems to be very similar to cars sold in Europe unlike those sold in the US. The emission requirements in Japan are also very strict, so this will not be an issue with relatively new cars.

There is also one more big difference. That is that I am moving back to Europe and taking the car as a moving item.
Actually Moviela is probably correct here. Its normally a lot easier to bring in a car for a movie shoot than one that is used for everyday use. Japan is a right hand drive country. That means the exterior lighting is different from continental Europe: headlights, rear fog light position, etc.
Now you didn't specify which European country you plan on moving to but I would suggest you get in touch with them and try to find out what is takes for you to be able to drive there.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:15 AM

C240 4matic
Hi,
I have checked it already. In my home country we have a law which says that "when the vehicle is imported as a moving item, it fulfills the requirements for registration if the vehicle fulfills the requirements in the country where it has been last registered (in this case Japan) and it complies with the emission requirements for year 1992 or later". It further says "in order to show that the vehicle conforms the standards of country of previous residence, it will be sufficient to show that the vehicle has been registered in the country of residence without any modications and the vehicle has not been modified after registering in the country of residence". The other requirements include "E" approved lights and side indicators as well as right colours for lights and indicators. All these are in place. What I have heard from others who have imported cars, if you stick to European makes (not for US market), you have no concerns. Of course, there are exceptions but I looked at the requirements before deciding on importing it to Europe.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
And what European country would that be?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:34 AM

BMW 135i
why not just get the navi. from the factory dealer ship when you got the car? i love the factory navi. its nice and big and flips open ..
Old 06-07-2007, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Originally Posted by c230 o5
why not just get the navi. from the factory dealer ship when you got the car? i love the factory navi. its nice and big and flips open ..
read his post again killer.
He's got factory Navigation (D2B COMAND) for a 2004. Not the new factory flip-downs.

Last edited by Saprissa; 06-07-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Originally Posted by kokeilut
That is that I am moving back to Europe and taking the car as a moving item.
What country in Europe ?

Get a European COMAND from MBenzNL.com

Since you're going to throw your Japanese COMAND away,
can I have it ????

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com

Last edited by Saprissa; 06-07-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:25 PM

'06 SS
See I just want the Japanese menu buttons that only I could read if someone was in my car.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:04 AM

c200 kompressor wdc203 japan
Originally Posted by Saprissa
What country in Europe ?

Get a European COMAND from MBenzNL.com

Since you're going to throw your Japanese COMAND away,
can I have it ????

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
The radio is exactly like mine with the exact same problems..