C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

DEPO Headlights Thread - everything you ever wanted to know about DEPO

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 C230K Sport Sedan
I'm waiting to hear back from SI. I'm really just looking for "plug and play"(can you tell i'm a computer geek) mods. which is why the Speed Tuning package looked so attractive.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"Double Stuff" SOLD | Nor*Cals "Pesky Audi"
understood. just be weary of cost to gains. if it means ur car is out for a day or two longer, but ur gonna have great gains... lace up them shoes and have a bus pass in hand. its totally worth it, lol
Old 07-09-2007, 11:41 PM

04 C230K Sport Sedan
You have a good point.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:51 PM

2016 C63s AMG
Nice choice of mods! Read my sig for my mods. I am currently trying to find someone to tune my ECU on top of my k-box. The shop that is installing your mods offers an ECU tune for $1000. What company ECU tune?

I think Flip does have his ECU tuned on top of his k-box. I am actaully speaking to Nick from Jlevi (Speed Innovations) about tuning my ecu on top of the k-box. Let me know what your options are with your ECU tune.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:00 AM

04 C230K Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by pugguy2001
Nice choice of mods! Read my sig for my mods. I am currently trying to find someone to tune my ECU on top of my k-box. The shop that is installing your mods offers an ECU tune for $1000. What company ECU tune?

I think Flip does have his ECU tuned on top of his k-box. I am actaully speaking to Nick from Jlevi (Speed Innovations) about tuning my ecu on top of the k-box. Let me know what your options are with your ECU tune.
The guy that I'm talking to mentioned a Kleemann ECU upgrade with the Kleemann header, but I don't know of any Kleemann ECU for the 1.8L. Maybe he was talking about the K-box. I'm still waiting for him to get back to me.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:13 AM

2016 C63s AMG
Originally Posted by Kompre_sor
The guy that I'm talking to mentioned a Kleemann ECU upgrade with the Kleemann header, but I don't know of any Kleemann ECU for the 1.8L. Maybe he was talking about the K-box. I'm still waiting for him to get back to me.
Let me know what ECU tune he was talking about. I feel our cars can benefit from having our timing advancedans shift points changed. Even with the sprint booster after a while our cars ecu adapt and it doesnt let the car shift into the next gear as fast ,it steps back for a sec and then shift.
Are you having the fuel pressure regulator installed also. What pulley kit are you getting. If its Kleemann then you should be getting the FPR and the k-box with it.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
please read every thread from 2001 to present,
and tell me something about DEPO lights...

Glad someone is reading my smart-*** posts !
Old 07-10-2007, 04:27 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 c240
"trimmed"

wats up ppl
can someone post a picture of this "trimmed" bulb that helps the beam pattern on the Depo headlights?
i really cant understand what is meant by "trimming" the bulb
Old 07-10-2007, 09:55 PM

2006 C230SS, 2007 e63, 2009 gl450, 2003 Ducati 749
It doesn't fix the beam pattern. Look at the pictures in this thread and you will see. But if you want to try all you need to do is take out your H7 bulb. If you look at the base there are 3 prongs that stick out which help you mount them. Cut the top one so that you can turn the bulb 180 and it will fit into the socket. Does that make sense?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Almost a Member!

'03 C230 SS
Originally Posted by lfe136
It doesn't fix the beam pattern. Look at the pictures in this thread and you will see. But if you want to try all you need to do is take out your H7 bulb. If you look at the base there are 3 prongs that stick out which help you mount them. Cut the top one so that you can turn the bulb 180 and it will fit into the socket. Does that make sense?
It actually does fix the beam pattern. I'll get better pics to prove my case by the end of the week. I'll also try to get a side-by-side comparason of my DEPO tweak v. OEM BMW xenons.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:26 PM

2006 C230SS, 2007 e63, 2009 gl450, 2003 Ducati 749
Can you get a before and after pics or your tweak with the DEPO headlights?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by rdscklasse
Nothing but smart remarks from you ha? You don't have to be a jack--s about it. Sorry but I have to say something.
Ray, trust me pare. Saprissa has been around on the forums long enough to know what he is talking about.

He's just indicating that, unless people know exactly what they are doing with regards to modifying the depos, the quality is not good.

And if you were considering getting some of those, I would highly suggest against it.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Coming from someone who has Depos, if i could do it all over again, i'd go with OEM Bix.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:29 AM
Almost a Member!

'03 C230 SS
compare the before v. after with xenonbenz's pics. Mine looked the same.

thankyou.

Last edited by WhatTheHulk; 07-12-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Almost a Member!

'03 C230 SS
never mind...found some pre-xenon & tweak pics.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:38 AM

C300. FJ Cruiser, 370Z
Originally Posted by drexappeal
Ray, trust me pare. Saprissa has been around on the forums long enough to know what he is talking about.

He's just indicating that, unless people know exactly what they are doing with regards to modifying the depos, the quality is not good.

And if you were considering getting some of those, I would highly suggest against it.

I'm not questioning what he knows and I totally agree to what he is saying. OEM is the best way to go. The reason why I opened this thread was to see if DEPO corrected the problems with their projectors. Yes, I'm considering it but it doesn't mean I'm going to get it. BUT if it performs as close to OEM and somebody found a fix for it, Why not? Who doesn't want to save $$$?

My only problem was the sarcasm and the smart *** comments. Knowing a lot does not give you the right to be sarcastic and insensitive to other people. There's other ways to get your point across. Sarcasm in a way is like bragging, "I know a lot and you don't know **** so keep quiet".

You know what? I can go on forever on this thing and I'll be wasting a lot of people's time. So let's just get back to the problem at hand. REY

Last edited by RDSBENZ; 07-12-2007 at 03:09 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
my familiarity with Depo has been mostly with W210 headlights. I have purchased,
then opened them up (about a dozen) merely to pull the Depo halogen projector
out and to toss them in the garbage. Yes, they are that bad. It's not even
worth the trouble of selling. In its place I drop in a similarly sized, bona fide HID
projector, and I seal it back up.

In my opinion, Depo is in it for the short term gain. They have no compelling
reason to put in R&D and retool and redesign their mediocre projector bowl,
nor their sucky projector lens. It is these two crucial components which shape
and focus the light.....and they've done a poor job.

Whether they are horrible (as is) or sux big time (by flipping bulb upside down)
doesn't change the fact that you're just putting lipstick on a pig. The improve-
ment is still quite bad and an embarrassment to those who drive such a fine
car as we do. But as one poster said "...I dont give a *****..." Everytime I
see an HID wannabe fitted on a quality ride....it hurts. The lack of beam
precision is....well....glaring, and quite easy to spot.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:37 AM

c240 elegance
Originally Posted by raymond g-
my familiarity with Depo has been mostly with W210 headlights. I have purchased,
worth the trouble of selling. In its place I drop in a similarly sized, bona fide HID

Whether they are horrible (as is) or sux big time (by flipping bulb upside down)
doesn't change the fact that you're just putting lipstick on a pig. The improve-
awesome post! I gotta use that "lipstick on a pig" sometime
Old 07-12-2007, 11:59 AM

2004.0 C230 Sedan
Originally Posted by raymond g-

Actually, the Depo projectors are not as bad quality as everyone thinks. The flaw is not a poor lens, or projector bowl. The flaw is in the manufacturing process. Unfortunately, for the W203, it is not possible to fix this flaw with the Depo headlights.

The flaw is the projector bowl is installed 180 degrees in the wrong direction during assembly at the factory. This is what causes the hotspots and poor beam pattern. While WhatTheHulk's tweak does help significantly, it does not give you OEM quality light.

Ultimately, Depo's are not worth buying for our W203's because the bowl is not "fixable". If it was fixable, they would be almost as good as OEM.

If you look at this picture below, it is off of a VW Depo projector. The bowl was flipped 180 degrees, and does give OEM quality HID lighting.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:04 PM

2004.0 C230 Sedan
...The reason why I opened this thread was to see if DEPO corrected the problems with their projectors.

You know what? I can go on forever on this thing and I'll be wasting a lot of people's time. So let's just get back to the problem at hand. REY
rdscklasse,

The answer to your question at hand is....

No, the Depo's have not been fixed. They still suck.

OEM Bi-Xenon is really the only way to go. I learned the hard way, and sold my Depo's after 2 weeks, and lost $200 in the process.

I just got an email from Steve, he's got Euro spec Bi-Xenon's for $1,350 shipped Fedex to the US in stock right now. See the link below for what the Euro Spec beam pattern looks like.

http://groups.msn.com/MBenzNL/europa...o&PhotoID=1682
Old 07-12-2007, 08:11 PM

C300. FJ Cruiser, 370Z
Originally Posted by XenonBenz
rdscklasse,

The answer to your question at hand is....

No, the Depo's have not been fixed. They still suck.

OEM Bi-Xenon is really the only way to go. I learned the hard way, and sold my Depo's after 2 weeks, and lost $200 in the process.

I just got an email from Steve, he's got Euro spec Bi-Xenon's for $1,350 shipped Fedex to the US in stock right now. See the link below for what the Euro Spec beam pattern looks like.

http://groups.msn.com/MBenzNL/europa...o&PhotoID=1682

Thanks XenonBenz for clarifying that. rdscklasse
Old 07-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
I'm not questioning what he knows and I totally agree to what he is saying. OEM is the best way to go. The reason why I opened this thread was to see if DEPO corrected the problems with their projectors. Yes, I'm considering it but it doesn't mean I'm going to get it. BUT if it performs as close to OEM and somebody found a fix for it, Why not? Who doesn't want to save $$$?

My only problem was the sarcasm and the smart *** comments. Knowing a lot does not give you the right to be sarcastic and insensitive to other people. There's other ways to get your point across. Sarcasm in a way is like bragging, "I know a lot and you don't know **** so keep quiet".

Rey, I completely understand what you are saying, but don't waste your money. Saving money on some things is one thing. Saving money on headlights, brakes or wheels is a BIG no-no when it comes to car.

Headlights = visability/safety
Brakes = Stopping/safety
Wheels = Drivability/stability/safety

Those are 3 things I simply wouldn't ever "skimp" on when it comes to a vehicle. Other cosmetic things (i.e. aero parts, audio, etc...) are a different story. Save on those, if you choose to "save", but when it comes to things that help the functionality of the car, don't go the "cheap" route. You'll regret it in the long run.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Almost a Member!

'03 C230 SS
Rey, I completely understand what you are saying, but don't waste your money. Saving money on some things is one thing. Saving money on headlights, brakes or wheels is a BIG no-no when it comes to car.

Brakes = Stopping/safety

Those are 3 things I simply wouldn't ever "skimp" on when it comes to a vehicle. Other cosmetic things (i.e. aero parts, audio, etc...) are a different story. Save on those, if you choose to "save", but when it comes to things that help the functionality of the car, don't go the "cheap" route. You'll regret it in the long run.

...oh yeah, I'm going to die driving at night because I was cheap and got DEPO's.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by WhatTheHulk
...oh yeah, I'm going to die driving at night because I was cheap and got DEPO's.
If you're driving at night and you miss a person walking across the street at night because the visibility on those headlights are poor...I'd say you'll have a lot of regrets. And no matter how much people feel they are "good" drivers, having good lighting can mean the difference between seeing someone that much sooner vs. being "too late".

You can be sarcastic all you want, but that's just reality my friend.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:54 AM

C300. FJ Cruiser, 370Z

Brakes = Stopping/safety

Thanks Drex.

I'm just trying not to go mod crazy on this car because I know I'll probably change cars again. You've seen my W202, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2418392/1. I was about to spend a lot of money in modding it but I decided not to when I saw your car. I'm already thinking of getting a C55 after I sell my 350Z. Anybody interested?

Anyway, I already decided I'm not going to change my headlights, for now.

rdscklasse

Last edited by RDSBENZ; 07-13-2007 at 01:57 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: DEPO Headlights Thread - everything you ever wanted to know about DEPO