C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C to C1 and C2 connector Adapter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
C to C1 and C2 connector Adapter

I am in the process of installing a COMAD system in my C230. Does anyone know where i can get the C to C1/C2 connector adapter?

I have seen that adapter tossed around in some threads on this site, but I have been unsuccessful in finding where I can purchase this connector?

Regards and thanks

Nuru
Old 07-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 716 Likes on 697 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
try dealer or steve
Old 07-31-2007, 10:55 AM
RES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55, 1988 260E, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado
I believe I have one in my tool box. I added the harness for TV tuner and removed it.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
Here: COMAND HARNESS , and here info@mbenznl.com
Old 07-31-2007, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by MJ50
try dealer or steve
Thanks; Still waiting for info from Steve, with the dealer I need a part number. This is not the entire retrofit harness, it is an adapter that connects to the existing C connector in the car and provides a C1 and C2 to the COMAND unit. anyone have a part number?
Old 07-31-2007, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by JohnCL
I purchased retrofit cables from MBZ and from MB Doctors and sofar neither has completely worked. The Radio works, but the unit does not seem to see the rest of the car (CD changer, ignition switch on - it thinks it is off even when I am driving)I checked my COMAND system out and it is working fine. Next I will go into the connectors and make sure the connectors are definitely in - they sure look like it!
Old 07-31-2007, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Russell Stevens
I believe I have one in my tool box. I added the harness for TV tuner and removed it.
Russ are you speaking of the the entire retrofit harness, or just the smaller C connector to C1/C2 adapter? If you have the adapter, can you provide a part number for it, please? If you have the entire harness, then I do have that already.

Thanks

nuru
Old 07-31-2007, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nuru
I purchased retrofit cables from MBZ and from MB Doctors and sofar neither has completely worked. The Radio works, but the unit does not seem to see the rest of the car (CD changer, ignition switch on - it thinks it is off even when I am driving)I checked my COMAND system out and it is working fine. Next I will go into the connectors and make sure the connectors are definitely in - they sure look like it!
Did you go over to the passenger side footwell to connect the canbus wires? With the actual COMAND harness, not the adapter you need to remove the passenger kick panel and carpet to install correctly. You probably have the right stuff but just don't have it connected correctly.

You will have two blue wires and one brown wire with a connector that need to go to the passenger side.

Where are you located?

Last edited by JohnCL; 07-31-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:24 PM
RES

Originally Posted by Nuru
Russ are you speaking of the the entire retrofit harness, or just the smaller C connector to C1/C2 adapter? If you have the adapter, can you provide a part number for it, please? If you have the entire harness, then I do have that already.

Thanks

nuru
I'm at work and won't get home tell 8:00, then I can check the number. I used it with my original nav upgrade. It came with the install kit Steve sent to me with all the tools and adapters. Since I have added TV tuner and that requires a hole different harness.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:43 AM
RES

It has nothing on the harness it's self. All I can see is the individual plug numbers. It's about six inches long and has the three plugs on it. Sorry I'm having trouble downloading picture or I would post one on here.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Did you go over to the passenger side footwell to connect the canbus wires? With the actual COMAND harness, not the adapter you need to remove the passenger kick panel and carpet to install correctly. You probably have the right stuff but just don't have it connected correctly.

You will have two blue wires and one brown wire with a connector that need to go to the passenger side.

Where are you located?
Yes I have opened the passenfger side of the car up and I have connected the CAM Bus bronw/Red wires to the appropriate connector in the sill. I also connected the D2B wakeup, 2 blue wires to the appropriate connector in that area also. See the pics I uploaded.
Attached Thumbnails C to C1 and C2 connector Adapter-canbus2.jpg   C to C1 and C2 connector Adapter-d2bwakeup_2.jpg   C to C1 and C2 connector Adapter-bothconnectors.jpg  

Last edited by Nuru; 08-01-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Russell Stevens
It has nothing on the harness it's self. All I can see is the individual plug numbers. It's about six inches long and has the three plugs on it. Sorry I'm having trouble downloading picture or I would post one on here.
I will take those numbers for the connectors if you will provide them.

Are they:

A034 545 7528 - C1 Connector Block
A000 545 4230 - C2 Connector Shell
A001 545 5526 - C2 Connector Block

These are numbers I received for the C1 and C2 connectors

The one that is missing is the one for the male C connector. I did not fget a good number for that part. The number I got was

A016 545 3626, but my parts source indicated that was an invalid number.

BTW, do you wanna part with that cable?

update; i took everything apart and reinstalled my original radio and everythig wokreed, except that, now my radio does not turn off when the key is removed like it did previously, but I am wondering if that is a configuration setting that got blown away when I removed the ground cable?. Once I determined that all wwas pretty much okay, I reinstalled the COMAND system and powered up. The result, the COMAND system now sees the CD changer, but it does not turn off when the key is removed. I know I need a trip to the dealer to get the instrument cluster and sterring wheel to communicate with the COMAND system as the ECS?, does not know its there. i am waiting to finish hooking up the Factory Sirius Radio which I started last weekend just after the completion of the first install of the COMAND system. i will need to comlete the front trunk fiber hook up and the proceed to the rear passenger area to do the final hookup. I will not hook up power to the receiver until I am at the shop and ready to have the dealer configure it with Star Diagnose - at $100+ bucks per hour! I think i will go take some lunch to the night shift there and see if they will at least peek at it for me

Thanks

Nuru

Last edited by Nuru; 08-01-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The ONLY thing that you need the dealer for is the dash display. The steering wheel buttons will work without any programming. Double check all of your connections again. On the canbus conntector did you remove the clip to insert the plug into the block? I know of a member that had an issue with the connector appearing to be inserted but it actually wasn't. Double check the long thin connector with the brown wires and make sure you are good. I recommend removing the locking clip and inserting the wires and replacing in reverse. Also, make sure that the C2 connector at the COMAND in in properly as that can be an issue as well. That would cause the buttons not to work and many other issues.

Keep us posted.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
The ONLY thing that you need the dealer for is the dash display. The steering wheel buttons will work without any programming. Double check all of your connections again. On the canbus conntector did you remove the clip to insert the plug into the block? I know of a member that had an issue with the connector appearing to be inserted but it actually wasn't. Double check the long thin connector with the brown wires and make sure you are good. I recommend removing the locking clip and inserting the wires and replacing in reverse. Also, make sure that the C2 connector at the COMAND in in properly as that can be an issue as well. That would cause the buttons not to work and many other issues.

Keep us posted.
Thanks John, I was not aware that the steering wheel buttons work anyway.

hmmm, I will recheck the C2 connector. I do think it is really in there, as it does take a little force to get it out. It won't go in if you put it in the wrong way.

You mention the locking clip, are you speaking of the locking clip on the car's CAN B connector block? I removed that everytime I inserted the two pin connector. Reversing the connector does not allow insertion into the block, but I will do is inspect the block and see if the instertion of the connector is doing anything to the pins in the connector block. It is strange the CD suddenly started working? That does mean the CAN Bus is communicating at some level with the COMAND unit right? I just cannot figure why the Steering wheel buttons and the ignition have no effect on the COMAND unit?

I think the first thing I will do is move the CAN B connector over to another port on the Connector block and see what the effect that has on the COMAND unit as the CD came on after the move one slot to the left of the other connectors.

Second thing will be to check the state of the C2 connectors, if a pin or two are bent, that could be the cause.

One additional Question - what is a sign that the D2B wakeup is not working properly?

Nuru

Last edited by Nuru; 08-02-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Well here is the latest!

Everytime I pull it apart and reinstall, something positive happens?

I pulled it apart again, examined all the connectors, installed C2 before C1 this time and reinserted the CAN B plug again. Well the steering wheel can now see everything. The COMAND unit shuts off shortly after the key is removed. Now all that has to happen tomorrow is for it not to shutoff 30 minutes into my commute after asking me to turn on the ignition or it will shut off in 3 minutes, while i am going down the road at over 65 mph!
So as of tonight, the install looks good. It was driving me
I plan ito install the MBZ retrofit GPS antenna behind the speedo when it shows up. Same day I will install the Sirius antenna - dunno if I will go ahead and install it in the trunk lid or try it out on the deck beneath the rear window. either way it will work, unless I move more north!

Last edited by Nuru; 08-02-2007 at 09:43 PM.