C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2007 C230 Bluetooth module upgrade anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bla bla
2007 C230 Bluetooth module upgrade anyone?

Just got my 2007 C230, thinking about as my first mod to upgrade to the bluetooth module. Anyone done it? How is the sound and reception? MB recommends wireless4mb.com, has anyone tried them? How much? Are you happy with the upgrade?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
You are going to have to spend $765 for the phone system parts + $420 for BT module + about $300 in labor to get it hooked up, assuming you have the Entertainment Package w/cell phone pre-wiring.

I have the system, it's OK. I bought the module when it first came out, but I've heard the newer one works better. A slight echo and the sound is OK. I went back to using my MB v600 with the specific dock. Unfortunately for me, there is no way to flash the BT module or return it for a newer one. I used for a few months with a non-AWS RAZR and I hate the RAZR phone. Anyway, the sound is OK, I just get better reception with the full MB system.

Last edited by SteveAustin; 08-02-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 745 Likes on 726 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
do u already have factory phone kit installed?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 C350 SS
I'm still waiting for the Argos to come out
Old 08-02-2007, 06:37 PM

Bla bla
Angry

No, i don't have the phone kit. My car came with Entertainment pkg which is "prewired for phone". I just called the dealer, they say the BT module cost $470 (expensive! consider an iphone is only $499). Then they said the "prewiring" is misleading because i need a plug in harness in center console, may be that's the phone kit? Anyway they said that alone cost $3000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Old 08-02-2007, 08:23 PM
MRK

06 C230SS
Originally Posted by kc2007
No, i don't have the phone kit. My car came with Entertainment pkg which is "prewired for phone". I just called the dealer, they say the BT module cost $470 (expensive! consider an iphone is only $499). Then they said the "prewiring" is misleading because i need a plug in harness in center console, may be that's the phone kit? Anyway they said that alone cost $3000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

maybe try avic D-3 w/bluetooth......I am in the process of putting that system together...should be just under 1K installed...got my avic on eBay for 640!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

bone stock E55 AMG

contact MBenzNL.com and you can get it much less than that.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AndySays
I'm still waiting for the Argos to come out
did u figure out the mic?
Old 08-03-2007, 01:07 AM

2006 Mercedes C55 AMG
I got the entire phone kit, and bluetooth for 1800 installed thereabouts
Old 08-03-2007, 11:53 AM

2017 C63s
Motorola T305 Bluetooth Car Kit

I just found this on Buy.com. It says its plug and play. Will it work through the console's control? and relay through the car speakers?

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...53&dcaid=17653

cheers
Old 08-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by SirCharles
I just found this on Buy.com. It says its plug and play. Will it work through the console's control? and relay through the car speakers?

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...53&dcaid=17653

cheers
i believe that has it's own speaker...
blakey has that model i think...
Old 08-03-2007, 01:22 PM

Bla bla
wow that looks pretty good! It's FREE! I know it's not the intergrated solution but hey who wants to pay $1800 to activate BT? I mean call it whatever you want, however fancy it is. It's a radio transmission! I recall when BT headset first came out I got a jabla type, and had my handset in living room and got my jabla on in another room, the reception was horrible. So BT isn't anything exotic, it's a radio transmission and just like radio the signal can be strong or weak. So after reading all the posts, I can not justify even $420 base price for the module, not to much additional requires harness or phone holder or install. Yes, I know it's cool to dial from the Nav panel or have voice activation but the price is SKY high. I will consider this buy.com BT item though it's only $50. Thanks
Old 08-03-2007, 02:01 PM

Location: Santa Cruz, CA; I'm a temporary transplant from Oklahoma, by way of Saudi Arabia (awful!)
2006 CLK350 Cab
Bt

As long as you've got Audio 20, it's easy to put an aftermarket radio in there with bluetooth. I just ordered the Kenwood double-DIN with DVD, touch-screen nav, bluetooth, ipod video control, and backup camera. Retail on the entire system with the camera, etc. is about $1900. That, and it's better quality than the all the mercedes components it takes the place of. Only bad thing is you lose the steering wheel controls, but you pick up good voice command.

Ethan
Old 08-03-2007, 02:42 PM

2006 Mercedes C55 AMG
wow that looks pretty good! It's FREE! I know it's not the intergrated solution but hey who wants to pay $1800 to activate BT? I mean call it whatever you want, however fancy it is. It's a radio transmission! I recall when BT headset first came out I got a jabla type, and had my handset in living room and got my jabla on in another room, the reception was horrible. So BT isn't anything exotic, it's a radio transmission and just like radio the signal can be strong or weak. So after reading all the posts, I can not justify even $420 base price for the module, not to much additional requires harness or phone holder or install. Yes, I know it's cool to dial from the Nav panel or have voice activation but the price is SKY high. I will consider this buy.com BT item though it's only $50. Thanks
I hear what you're saying but for 1800 I like the integration within the car. If I were going to buy a 50.00 item such as that Motorola T305 I'd just stick with my Plantronics headset.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:24 PM

Bla bla
Right, its a bad idea. I got a motorola PEBL which has spaker so I am sticking to it.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:48 PM

2007 Mercedes C230 Sport
Question

I hope you guys don't mind me resurrecting what appears to be an ancient thread I found on Google. I'm a stone-cold n00b here and just bought my first Mercedes (07 C230 Sport) last weekend after my Audi got to the point of being much more expensive to repair than I'd ever get back in trade.

I want to use a blackberry with the integrated phone controls, and also play music via Pandora or just my own MP3's. After reading through all the threads on hooking up the AUX connector (for at least the audio whether straight or using my own bluetooth A2DP receiver puck), and realizing I'd probably need a custom shop to hook it up for me anyway (live in an apartment, no work area to pull panels off in.) I've gleaned a few options from this forum and other sources through Google.

(FYI, I do not have the connector in the armrest for the phone, so no UHI/MHI for me.)

One product I found is the mObridge, which looks to be just about exactly what I want aside from its cost and the disclaimer that the CD changer won't work anymore on a Mercedes I found on one page selling it.

Then I found mention of Parrot products, though Parrot's web site is a flaming pile of dog crap (many 404's), so I feel I'm missing some details. Namely:

Can someone unequivocally answer for me whether I'd need a multican (suggested above for CK3000), multicomm, or unika kit to use the steering and headunit controls and display functions with my C230? I've seen different suggestions on different websites selling their products. Also saw mention of a Kram ISO2CAR cable. Parrot's site does nothing to clear up the mess.

If one of those cables works with the controls and display in my radio (I believe its the Audio 20. Has a slot-load CD in-dash, and is not HK, COMMAND, or anything else fancy, but has phone controls on it.), then I think I'd be very interested in the Parrot MKi9100, which has a few more features than the previously mentioned CK3000 in this thread.

Can anyone comment on the mOBridge, or the Parrot CK3000/MKi9100, especially in terms of control and display integration, any and all adapters necessary for phone and audio, and whether any of these render the CD changer useless?

Last edited by Instrumentality; 12-02-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by Instrumentality
I hope you guys don't mind me resurrecting what appears to be an ancient thread I found on Google. I'm a stone-cold n00b here and just bought my first Mercedes (07 C230 Sport) last weekend after my Audi got to the point of being much more expensive to repair than I'd ever get back in trade.

I want to use a blackberry with the integrated phone controls, and also play music via Pandora or just my own MP3's. After reading through all the threads on hooking up the AUX connector (for at least the audio whether straight or using my own bluetooth A2DP receiver puck), and realizing I'd probably need a custom shop to hook it up for me anyway (live in an apartment, no work area to pull panels off in.) I've gleaned a few options from this forum and other sources through Google.

(FYI, I do not have the connector in the armrest for the phone, so no UHI/MHI for me.)

One product I found is the mObridge, which looks to be just about exactly what I want aside from its cost and the disclaimer that the CD changer won't work anymore on a Mercedes I found on one page selling it.

Then I found mention of Parrot products, though Parrot's web site is a flaming pile of dog crap (many 404's), so I feel I'm missing some details. Namely:

Can someone unequivocally answer for me whether I'd need a multican (suggested above for CK3000), multicomm, or unika kit to use the steering and headunit controls and display functions with my C230? I've seen different suggestions on different websites selling their products. Also saw mention of a Kram ISO2CAR cable. Parrot's site does nothing to clear up the mess.

If one of those cables works with the controls and display in my radio (I believe its the Audio 20. Has a slot-load CD in-dash, and is not HK, COMMAND, or anything else fancy, but has phone controls on it.), then I think I'd be very interested in the Parrot MKi9100, which has a few more features than the previously mentioned CK3000 in this thread.

Can anyone comment on the mOBridge, or the Parrot CK3000/MKi9100, especially in terms of control and display integration, any and all adapters necessary for phone and audio, and whether any of these render the CD changer useless?
Dont know about these units, but I have a Pioneer AVIC in my car. it does everything:
Bluetooth connectivity to almost any phone
MP3/CD Audio playback
Video playback
iPod interface
Really cool looks
Goes flush into the dash
Installation is pretty easy too....just something to consider
Old 12-03-2009, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Originally Posted by Instrumentality

I have done a few MoBridge in Porsche vehicles with no issues, no need to complain about the price, because your alternative is the OEM gear and installation which will be 2x the MoBridge

The parrot piece I can't believe you would consider an option

NavTv has a MBTooki Kit, I have done many and it works flawlessly

The CD changer on the MoBridge is pulled for iPod operation, which you have a blackberry... so let's rule out the MoBridge

Next, the Tooki does do Bluetooth Audio, but it is in mono and sounds like junk as it is coming through the phone system. So if you want to use Pandora, I suggest you use the wired aux input of headunit located in the glove box

The tooki allows you to use the steering wheel controls, enables the instrument cluster for phone operations and display, also the radio.

further it supports the blackberry and allows for voice dialing

completely upgradeable also.

I have seen a video of it on youtube in action located here :clickme:

Last edited by jbondox; 12-03-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by jbondox
I have done a few MoBridge in Porsche vehicles with no issues, no need to complain about the price, because your alternative is the OEM gear and installation which will be 2x the MoBridge

The CD changer on the MoBridge is pulled for iPod operation, which you have a blackberry... so let's rule out the MoBridge

Next, the Tooki does do Bluetooth Audio, but it is in mono and sounds like junk as it is coming through the phone system. So if you want to use Pandora, I suggest you use the wired aux input of headunit located in the glove box

The tooki allows you to use the steering wheel controls, enables the instrument cluster for phone operations and display, also the radio.

I was able to get the entire phone kit with bluetooth puck off ebay from one seller for ~$700. Installed it myself - it's not very hard and there are instructions floating around here. Works perfectly with my iPhone.

I hear that the mObridge and similar units work pretty good too.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Sorry I don't shop eBay, nor sell on eBay either.

If I go gambling it would be back at Vegas or Monaco
Old 12-03-2009, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Sorry I don't shop eBay, nor sell on eBay either.

If I go gambling it would be back at Vegas or Monaco
Well, it's true that ebay can be a scammer infested hell-hole. But if you do your research and know enough about ebay you can stay pretty safe and save quite a bit. I've made hundreds and hundreds of transactions on ebay, many on products costing over $500, and I've never been scammed or had any major issues. But I do have a friend who got screwed on an ipod and refuses to use ebay anymore, so I see where you're coming from.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:48 AM

2007 Mercedes C230 Sport

Why shouldn't I consider the parrot system? It claims to take care of both the phone and audio connectivity through the head unit, and also use the steering wheel controls if I could figure out which of those adapters goes with it. I have no desire to mount their silly LCD display or buttons though. Is one or more of their claims false, or is there something else I don't know?

As for the mObridge, I'm a bit put off by the price because I will need to get this thing installed. I have no garage or driveway or anything. Just a very public and very cold parking lot in which to work. I also don't want to risk breaking anything and would like a pro to do it. I installed the ipod cradle in my last car, but I just don't have the time any more if there are any panels to remove. Its always a case of "to remove this one tiny panel, remove the entire rest of the interior of your car." But let me get this straight -- with the mObridge, if I want to use the phone (and also the steering wheel controls for it), and I want to use bluetooth audio from my blackberry via A2DP and just want it to go to the AUX input, no expectation of ipod interface or controls, I can do that without losing the CD changer? Or does it not quite work like that?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Parrot has the stupid display... and if you have the amp with the fiber optic input/output you aren't going to get the bluetooth audio

Mobridge pricing... it is what it is... which is also why I recommended the navtv tookimb, which is slightly less.

as for you not doing it yourself, I am sure there is a shop in your area that has done some...which i am sure you will have to pay... as it is what it is...

I really could care less about hearing about pricing or complaining about it... we all have bills, needs, and wants that we have to finance with our wallets... it just comes down to how bad you want, how cheap you are going to go, and half-arsed of an installation are you willing to be satisfied with...
Old 12-04-2009, 08:30 PM

2007 Mercedes C230 Sport
Parrot has the stupid display... and if you have the amp with the fiber optic input/output you aren't going to get the bluetooth audio

Mobridge pricing... it is what it is... which is also why I recommended the navtv tookimb, which is slightly less.

as for you not doing it yourself, I am sure there is a shop in your area that has done some...which i am sure you will have to pay... as it is what it is...

I really could care less about hearing about pricing or complaining about it... we all have bills, needs, and wants that we have to finance with our wallets... it just comes down to how bad you want, how cheap you are going to go, and half-arsed of an installation are you willing to be satisfied with...
Well, I'm trying to figure out if I can use the parrot without the silly LCD display and buttons if I get the cabling to use the car's controls on it. And I'll look into the tookimb.

Not totally writing off the mOBridge either, but I'm seeing two products which are advertising the same features and one is 200-something and the other is about 900 bucks. I could probably buy a dozen mOBridges, bills are not the issue, but why should I waste the money if there's no clear benefit? That's what I'm trying to determine through cold, dispassionate, technical data to distill the unfortunately vague sales pitches on the web. That doesn't appear to be what I'm getting here. I'll pay the premium if its actually going to be worth it, but I don't see much point in throwing down a grand or two if I don't need to for the same benefit.

I mentioned the expense with having a shop install it and not doing it myself to underline that I want to know if the Parrot won't work just as well (and let the discussion explore that without being dismissive because of a favorite brand) and to guide the technical discussion of installation so I don't get 13 posts of "don't waste your money on installation!!!!" with the vain hope of someone chiming in with "This only takes 10 minutes and you don't need to remove 20 interior panels to do it, here's how."

If the parrot system truly is a flaming pile of crap, I think it would be helpful to me and others lurking to know point-by-point exactly why that is the case.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
What if I tell you that I am a dealer of all 3, specialize in MB after-market solutions, and have done every variations of your vehicle in some shape or form?

the parrot system is a band-aid...

the mobridge piece is expensive because it has built in iPod controls which is why you need to bypass the changer... however it allows you to have BT audio streaming

the navtv piece is just the phone kit... no iPod, no frills... a phone interface that works with a lot of phones... it does BT streaming but it is using the phone feature in the radio and is mono...

if price isn't an option then get errr done and quit procrastinating about it.... you could of been using it by now....

Last edited by jbondox; 12-05-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: said no bt when meaning ipod

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 C230 Bluetooth module upgrade anyone?