C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

M111 (2.3L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K, 1926 Model T Ford roadster hotrod, 1955 Buick Special, 1966 Chevy Truck, Custom chopper
M111 (2.3L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal

Hi Everyone,
I purchased my 2002 about a year and a half ago, with just over 9000 miles on it. I found this forum and started reading over all the posts. After driving the car for a little while, I found I wanted better acceleration, handling and looks. Thanks to many of you, I have been able to do all the work myself, with exception to tinting the windows, with a few good friends. Without Buellwinkle and his great posts, I would not have been able to spend so little money and achieve the results I have.
So far I have replaced the cat with a 200 cel / inch, super high flow, metallic substrate cat, replaced the resonator with a high flow resonator, replaced the muffler with a Borla muffler, for a deeper sound. I put in a K&N airfilter, expanded the diameter of the supercharger pulley by making my own aluminum ring, on a lathe, to up the boost to 9 psi. (just couldn't bring myself to pay over $700 to buy one) I removed the supercharger muffler, in the intake, for a bit more whine. Then I fabricated my own grill, as I did not see any that would give me the blacked out, "mesh" look I was after, tinted the windows and added clear side markers. I then made a fiberglass enclosure, in the stock sub location, so I wouldn't loose any trunk space, to house a 12" Pioneer sub, and installed an Alpine amp in the spare tire wheel, so I still have complete use of the spare, just in case I need it. I also wired in my 3 peice BEL radar detector with the display at the bottom of my gauges. From there I lowered it and bolted on the TSW wheels (18 x 8 front and 19 x 9.5 rear) with 215/30/18 and 265/30/19 tires. I still have to install a methanol injection kit, to lower the intake air temperature and I am working on an ignition upgrade, for a little more power.
I have pics of the mods if anyone is interested in ideas or would like to do something a bit different than what is currently offered on the market now. I also have a video, of the car, that really shows off how much the supercharger "whines" when the engine is under boost.
So, thanks again to all the people on here who are always willing to answer questions and not poke fun of the "newbies" or just telling them to do a "search". Your time and experience is greatly appriciated. Dave
Attached Thumbnails M111 (2.3L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-1.jpg   M111 (2.3L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-2.jpg   M111 (2.3L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-3.jpg  
Old 09-05-2005, 11:11 AM

08' BMW E92 Coupe
Originally Posted by FORCEDINDUCTION
I have pics of the mods if anyone is interested in ideas or would like to do something a bit different than what is currently offered on the market now. I also have a video, of the car, that really shows off how much the supercharger "whines" when the engine is under boost.
are u kidding? of course we wanna see pics and video!!! put it up man! nice work
Old 09-05-2005, 11:38 AM

Where exactly is the super charger muffler because I swear mine has been removed by the dealership and not put back, my car whines like a mother!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230K, 1926 Model T Ford roadster hotrod, 1955 Buick Special, 1966 Chevy Truck, Custom chopper
"Where exactly is the super charger muffler because I swear mine has been removed by the dealership and not put back, my car whines like a mother!!!"

The supercharger muffler is located in the intake manifold that bolts to the top of the supercharger. It is held in with three bolts. Once removed, one of the three holes needs to be filled. I tapped the hole and threaded a bolt in, with a bit of silicone on it so it wouldn't loosen.

I screwed up on the size of my front tire, in my first post. I have 225/35/18, sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Here is a link to the video of me doin a fly-by. I also included a pic of the pulley.

link :
http://www.mindmagma.com/mpunk3/DaveBenz.mpg
Attached Thumbnails M111 (2.3L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-4.jpg  

Last edited by FORCEDINDUCTION; 09-05-2005 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:54 PM

2005 C230K
wow....thats all I have to say....your car sounds like a jet taking off or something....in a good way.

Have you done a dyno since all the mods?

keep up the good work.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:03 PM

Hey, awesome dude! I'm glad you finally decided to post! Welcome and great job!

I could really use some know-how for DIY.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:06 PM

C 230K Coupé
Hey do you have any closer pics of the grill? I can't really the detail in the pics u posted above, but i like the blacked out look on the red.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:18 PM

08' BMW E92 Coupe
holy crap, your car sounds like an airplane! awesome! have you thought about making more pulleys and selling them? more videos, MORE VIDEOS!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A box on 4 wheels
Love what you did to your car, you must attract alot of attention going down the street
Old 09-06-2005, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
I like what you did with the car. Could you take pictures of your sub/amp? I bet people don't have a clue as to where the sound is coming from til they see your car. I'd be looking up in the air for a jet.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:01 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
red c-coupe always looks good
Old 09-06-2005, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
beautiful C-Coupé !

great mods too.... congrats !

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com

Originally Posted by MbenzNL
ahhh...those aren't EUROspec...those are TAIWAN spec...

Old 09-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Wow! Thank you for all the kind words! I have not put it on the dyno yet. I was going to wait until I got the ignition mod and methanol injection on before I did but, I will see what I can do to get some numbers.

I have attached a pic of the sub and amp install along with a pic of the grill. It's raining here so as soon as I can, I will get a better detail pic of it.

I have thought about releasing parts for the car and figured I would see how this post went. Kinda testing the waters. Just so nobody thinks I am just some guy looking to make a quick buck, I am the GM at Roe Racing (www.roeracing.com). Some of the mods, that I have done to my car, could be something we are interested in adding to our lineup. However, as of now, they are not. I do not want to step on any toes of the current sponsors of this board by making this an advertisement in any way, shape or form.

So, to everyone, thanks again! I was wondering what kind of reaction I would get. This has far surpassed what I expected! Dave
Attached Thumbnails M111 (2.3L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-6.jpg   M111 (2.3L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-5.jpg   M111 (2.3L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-7.jpg  

Last edited by FORCEDINDUCTION; 09-06-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Wow! Thank you for all the kind words! I have not put it on the dyno yet. I was going to wait until I got the ignition mod and methanol injection on before I did but, I will see what I can do to get some numbers.
Dave,
i think the reasoning is that it's better to claim gains when you have a baseline stock dyno to compare once your mods are complete.
Most people forget to do a baseline mod, so even though the end-product numbers might be impressive, there's really nothing to compare it to, and see how much gain was actually made and by what specific mods done to the engine.
Some people who have the extra cash, will dyno after each independent mod (pulley, filters, ecu reprogramm, etc....) That may or may not be feasible depending on one's budget, but it is nice to see that rarity of a pattern, in order to exactly know what is producing the higher numbers.

Good luck on your projects !! Keep up the good work !

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 09-07-2005, 10:54 AM

C200K w203
so where is this supercharger muffler ? ?? pics ?
Attached Thumbnails M111 (2.3L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-a2001f5818b760mbs.jpg   M111 (2.3L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-1.jpg  
Old 09-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Unless the pics of the engine above are reversed, it is not the same engine as my 2002 has. In the pics, the engine has the supercharger on the drivers side, mine is on the passengers side. However, the positioning of the parts are similar. The supercharger muffler is shown directly above the supercharger and is black with small holes in it, just like the one I removed. I hope this helps for all that have asked about it. Dave
Old 09-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Hi Carlos, Unfortunately I did not dyno my car when it was completely stock. However, I did dyno it after doing just the exhaust upgrades. At that point my car did 153 RWHP and 168 RWTQ. I put it on the dyno last night and was rewarded with 189 RWHP and 212 RWTQ! Now I need to install the methanol injection and see where it goes from there. With our success on methanol injection, I can't wait to see the results. Which brings me to a question... Does anyone have dyno numbers on a bone stock 2002 C230K coupe? Thanks Dave
Old 09-13-2005, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
I had brought up this topic about methanol injection a few months ago. I think on a cool/ cold day it wont do much for you, but on a hot day it will. The reason I say this is the IC seems a little too small and in hot weather cant keep up and gets heat soaked. Me and my father recently just installed BoostCooler methanol injection in his blown cobra and then dynoed it. Before was 479.9 HP at the wheels. After adjusting the timing to take advantage of the cooler air charge we got around 510 at the wheels (which translates to about 600 HP at the flywheel).

I'm also considering putting in methanol injection once I get the pulley kit, I just dont know how much and how quick the computer will adjust the timing, which is where you get the HP gains. Let me know how it works out for you.

Oh, 'nother advantage of methanol injection is the cylinders will stay nice and clean. All of the carbon gets washed out.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Hi Everyone,
It has been brought to my attention, by a moderator of this forum, that I had somehow violated the rules of posting on this forum. I entitled my first thread "Thanks To Many" to do just that... thank the people, who have shared the knowledge they have gained, with other Mercedes owners. I was happy with the results I obtained, with this information, and felt that I may have something to give back to this community and possibly help people, as I had been helped. Evidently, as stated in the reply from a moderator shown below, my "offer of help" was not appreciated by an individual. It is a shame that someone felt the need to discourage this. I never wanted to cause any problems, as I clearly stated in a previous post on this thread, and expressed these feelings to the moderator that felt I was not doing the correct thing. The reply I received, from the moderator, was that my point was "understanding" yet still frowned upon. If this is how sharing ideas to improve a vehicle is taken, on this forum, I am afraid I am not, nor will I ever be, an asset to this forum as I like to help people and share ideas. I have attached a personal message that I received, from the moderator, explaining this. If anyone can help me understand this, please chime in. Thank you for taking the time to read this, as I am clearly disappointed with the outcome of my very first thread. Regards, Dave

UNEDITED QUOTE RECEIVED FROM MBWORLD MODERATOR : "Thank You for your understanding of our current relationship with our sponsors. I can see the honesty with your previous posted statement. But understand that not all will consider it that way based on your offer of help. It would therefore be appreciated if you would remove any ambiguity this might create.

Last edited by FORCEDINDUCTION; 09-13-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:37 AM

W212 E63
Any pictures on the "Supercharger muffler" ? Thx, your car sounds very cool.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:46 AM

C200K w203
i think he has the M111 engine

the pic is a M271

i don't know, i've circled the parts to which i think are the mufflers,
cause there seems to be alot of rubbish in between the throttle body and the charger....hey maybe if u remove all that and replace with some mendral bend 2 ~ 2.5 inch pipings maybe it will lower the restrictions & gain some extra ponies + sound

some 1 wanna try ?

Special wide-band silencers are installed on the intake side and pressure side.
source from : http://www.mbspy.com/M271.htm
Attached Thumbnails M111 (2.3L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-1.jpg   M111 (2.3L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-2.jpg  

Last edited by kingkong; 09-14-2005 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:53 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Hi Everyone,
It has been brought to my attention, by a moderator of this forum, that I had somehow violated the rules of posting on this forum. I entitled my first thread "Thanks To Many" to do just that... thank the people, who have shared the knowledge they have gained, with other Mercedes owners. I was happy with the results I obtained, with this information, and felt that I may have something to give back to this community and possibly help people, as I had been helped. Evidently, as stated in the reply from a moderator shown below, my "offer of help" was not appreciated by an individual. It is a shame that someone felt the need to discourage this. I never wanted to cause any problems, as I clearly stated in a previous post on this thread, and expressed these feelings to the moderator that felt I was not doing the correct thing. The reply I received, from the moderator, was that my point was "understanding" yet still frowned upon. If this is how sharing ideas to improve a vehicle is taken, on this forum, I am afraid I am not, nor will I ever be, an asset to this forum as I like to help people and share ideas. I have attached a personal message that I received, from the moderator, explaining this. If anyone can help me understand this, please chime in. Thank you for taking the time to read this, as I am clearly disappointed with the outcome of my very first thread. Regards, Dave

UNEDITED QUOTE RECEIVED FROM MBWORLD MODERATOR : "Thank You for your understanding of our current relationship with our sponsors. I can see the honesty with your previous posted statement. But understand that not all will consider it that way based on your offer of help. It would therefore be appreciated if you would remove any ambiguity this might create.
this is because you posted a link of who you work for when no one asked. all other information are still great IMO. doesn't bother me in anyway but i have to say it does create a semi-advertisement for your company. if you have left the part where you said you'll be adding these mods to your company line-up in the future everything would be fine. You still have a good looking ride can't speak for anyone, but I didn't mind

Last edited by FrankW; 09-14-2005 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:44 AM

W212 E63
I can't find a cutaway diagram for the M111 engine.. Here is a picture of my engine and the part in Red circle is directly above the supercharger.
Attached Thumbnails M111 (2.3L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-c230k_intake_03.jpg  
Old 09-14-2005, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300
Awesome car man... now only if you could put together a pulley / ring for a M271!
Old 09-14-2005, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by eason
I can't find a cutaway diagram for the M111 engine.. Here is a picture of my engine and the part in Red circle is directly above the supercharger.

Have you ever opened that part and looked inside?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: M111 (2.3L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal