C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

A couple of odd things about my C230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bla bla
A couple of odd things about my C230

Just put on about 700 miles and noticed a few odd things about how MB decided to outfit the car

1) No folding mirrors, very weird, this is NOT an expensive item for MB to make standard. 99.999% cars have it at any price level

2) driver side auto dimming mirror and a thicker rubber surround than the non-auto dimming mirror on passenger side

3) No front windshield top band tinting, again 99.999% cars at any price level has it

4) Trunk lid shuts easily but feel like paper weight, yes it's EASY on the hand to work it but my older Passat has a trunk lid shut like bank vault door, C230 trunk lid felt VERY cheap even though look great. May be they used aluminum to save weight?

5) Both sun visors are made of cheap materials, the screws are exposed, not a big deal but my older Passat had better material. 99% of other parts of the cars are made well with quality.

6) I wish they had covered the driver side mechanical key hole. I believe Infiniti or BMW covers it so the door handle looks more streamlined, the cover can be popped out if mechanical key need to be used. Not a big deal whatsoever, just a gripe

7) Navigation is incredibly accurate, the logic to use is something to get used to. Info display guidance is amazing!

8) Staggered 17s painted wheels are easy to scratch, should have used machined finish. Otherwise looks GREAT

9) Interior lighting is nice but NOT even close to brightness and good looks of VW interiror lightings at night

Everything else, GREAT, GREAT, GREAT!
Old 08-22-2007, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230SS & 2009 E350
I believe soon you'll receive a survey call about your new car. I'm sure they'll be happy to hear all these opinions from you.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by kc2007
Just put on about 700 miles and noticed a few odd things about how MB decided to outfit the car

1) No folding mirrors, very weird, this is NOT an expensive item for MB to make standard. 99.999% cars have it at any price level

2) driver side auto dimming mirror and a thicker rubber surround than the non-auto dimming mirror on passenger side

3) No front windshield top band tinting, again 99.999% cars at any price level has it

4) Trunk lid shuts easily but feel like paper weight, yes it's EASY on the hand to work it but my older Passat has a trunk lid shut like bank vault door, C230 trunk lid felt VERY cheap even though look great. May be they used aluminum to save weight?

5) Both sun visors are made of cheap materials, the screws are exposed, not a big deal but my older Passat had better material. 99% of other parts of the cars are made well with quality.

6) I wish they had covered the driver side mechanical key hole. I believe Infiniti or BMW covers it so the door handle looks more streamlined, the cover can be popped out if mechanical key need to be used. Not a big deal whatsoever, just a gripe

7) Navigation is incredibly accurate, the logic to use is something to get used to. Info display guidance is amazing!

8) Staggered 17s painted wheels are easy to scratch, should have used machined finish. Otherwise looks GREAT

9) Interior lighting is nice but NOT even close to brightness and good looks of VW interiror lightings at night

Everything else, GREAT, GREAT, GREAT!
1) Came standard in higher models only and not until the new production years. You can still get these through MBenzNL or Sunman.

3) I'm thinking they justified not doing it because of the standard tint that is imbeded in the windows (blue, brown and one other I think).

4) I'm thinking for weight saving...and the fact that Benz started to cheap out on parts as the years went by for this chassis.

6) You can see yours? All I can see on my driver side handle is the infrared sensor for the key fob functions (open/close windows with key fob).

7) That's a first. Most people don't like the OEM comand (whether d2b or most).

8) They're stock rims. Why would they machine them when it cost them much less to have them the way they are?

9) Replace the bulbs. There are lighting kits for the w203 that have every bulb you need...Or, if you have a lot of time on your hands, replace all the bulbs with LED's and use resistors to make them work without problems.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
1 - the mirrors are break away, they just don't fold and stay there. I think that's what you mean.

2 - yeah I was wondering about that too

3 - I don't really care for the darker at the top thing.

4 - Does your trunk lid pop open? I think some of these are different. Mine isn't difficult to close, but it definitely takes a bit of effort

5 - i agree, they skimped a bit but that's ok

6 - you may be able to find painted covers
Old 08-22-2007, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E53

-because it's also heated
Old 08-22-2007, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
I think the tinted band looks cheap on the front windshield.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 coupe , NOt THE AVATAR!!
try the C-coupe you will see the difference in trunk lid
Old 08-22-2007, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bla bla
A couple of clarifications

My 2007 C230 sport driver side door, I can see the key hole, not covered

Interior lighting is kinda dim, not the bulbs, the instrument panel backlit doesn't come that of VW's. The bulbs actually work quite

Front windshield needs to have a tinted top band, here is OC the sun is just too bright and in your face.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by kc2007
A couple of clarifications

My 2007 C230 sport driver side door, I can see the key hole, not covered

Interior lighting is kinda dim, not the bulbs, the instrument panel backlit doesn't come that of VW's. The bulbs actually work quite

Front windshield needs to have a tinted top band, here is OC the sun is just too bright and in your face.
say what about the sun?