C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

side mirror drift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 04:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB C320
side mirror drift

The side mirrors on my C320 are drifting. Once or twice a week I notice that they are out of adjustment. When I then press the memory button, they move back to the correct position. This happens although only I myself am driving the car, so the side mirrors should never has to move. Have anyone else experienced that, and what can be done about it? Thanks.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:43 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I'm with you, ahost, my mirrors drift, too. Not alot. Sometimes only one mirror, sometimes both. Pressing the 1/2/3 memory button restores it to the correct position. mbtech208, is this another symptom of a key problem?
Old 01-04-2002, 04:50 PM

2001 C240 / 6-speed
I am having the same problem with my Feb 01 C240-6speed. I have wondered if it is caused by closing the doors firmly (slamming). I have an appointment for my first A service in 2 weeks and will ask the dealer about it then.

Maybe before then I will try my door slamming theory.....
Old 01-04-2002, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Patronus, do you have the C1 package (memory mirrors, etc.)? It's standard on the C320. I was wondering if there's a common cause.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:01 PM

2001 C240 / 6-speed
Yes, I have C1 package. Otherwise, I would not have this problem because I would not have memory seats.

While we are on the topic, this is what I have:

C240 - 6speed
Glacier White/Java inserts
C1
C2
C3
C4
Bose
Multi-contour
Xenons
CD Changer

Love it.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:46 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Sure no one is walking by the car when it is parked and pressing the mirrors into a different position? That was a bad habit I had back in high school which I somehow managed to grow of out. I do remember it being a lot of fun.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:18 PM

C320 - Sport
Side mirror drift

I've had the same problem since I got the car a year ago. My dealer has looked at it and has no clue, they assume I'm halucinating...
Old 01-05-2002, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
do you have features enabled

Do you have the mirrors dip when in reverse setup or do you have anti dazzle mirrors? Not sure what it is but someone else had the problem and it had to do with using those features. Seems as though he would park his car at night, and when he put it in park, the quick move thru reverse would move his mirrors down. How stupid is this...good luck.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:01 PM

2001 C240 / 6-speed
Even my driver's side mirror does this. I do find that it happens more frequently on the passenger side when the dip in reverse feature is engaged.

I have a manual tranny, so the argument of the automatic moving the mirror as is passes through R may not be the entire cause. Besides, there is a delay (1 sec?) between the time R is engaged and the mirror moves.
Old 01-05-2002, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by patronus
Yes, I have C1 package. Otherwise, I would not have this problem because I would not have memory seats.

While we are on the topic, this is what I have:
C1
Wish I had C1 Oh well, at the time I was being "frugal" .
Old 01-05-2002, 10:07 PM
Almost a Member!

MB C320
I haven't really figured out when this side mirror drift happens, and what causes it. Does it depend on the amount of time you drive, or how many times you start the car? The problem is, it is difficult to demonstrate to the service department, because it is not easily repeatable. On the other hand, since, from the replies, it seems to be a common problem, it should be familiar to MB.
Old 01-05-2002, 11:07 PM

No theory on the drift, but I have it also.

I do have the convenience setting moving the steering wheel, but not the seat when I exit the vehicle. I don't know if this plays a role in the problem.

I also notice that when the drift does occur I have to push the memory button twice to get them to return to the programmed position.

I have not reported this to the service folks yet because, as indicated by someone else, it is not at all easy to replictate.

If anyone finds the magic cure, myself included, please be sure to post the findings here.

Thanks to all for a very interesting and informative board.

JR
Old 01-07-2002, 01:02 PM

2001 C240 6spd
I too am having the same problem....have had the car since September 01 and it seems to happen once a week....but once you push the memory button...everything resets.
Will be taking the car in for it's first service here soon....will have them check it out. It seems more like a nuisance than a major problem.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:09 PM
Almost a Member!

MB C320
side mirror update

I took the car to service for other problems, and mentioned the side mirror drift. I also showed the service rep the replies I got here, to prove that it is a common problem -- very helpful, since this is one of these intermittent problems that it is impossible to demonstrate to the service people. After checking around, the service rep called me and let me know that MB USA is well aware of the problem, and they are working on a solution for all C-class cars. So, maybe there will be a solution sometime (software update?).
Old 03-21-2002, 07:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
ahost, thanks for the update. I too have the mysterious drifting mirror problem. I have not gotten into the habit of hitting the memory button everytime I get in the car. I have also noticed that my seat sometimes drifts, although very very slightly. I have the seat and the wheel set so they move when the key is taken out of the ignition.

jnjrowland, I'm not sure if this is fact or not, but once the car is running, it seems like you have to press and hold the memory button in order for the seat/mirrors to move into place. If you just tap it once, it does not move all the way (at least on my car). I was thinking that this may be why you have to press it twice.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You've got another one in here. Both of my mirrors drift every now and then. The driver side mirror will lose its position about half an inch up or down. Sometimes the passenger side mirror will not move back to its original position after dipping down on reverse. I've to press the memory button to get back to its original position. I've yet to have my first service, but when I do, I'll definitely address this problem to my advisor as this has become a very common problem across the C's lineup. :o
Old 03-21-2002, 09:27 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Both my driver and passenger mirrors seems to always have drifted to a new position after my wife borrows the car...
Old 03-21-2002, 11:45 PM
Almost a Member!

03 C320 Sedan
Thumbs down Mirror Drifts...

Count Me in, My 01 C320 does the same thing. It tends to mostly happen on the driver side, the mirror usually drifts down...probably about 1/2. I turn my passenger side parking tilt mirror off, so that side usually says where it should.

speaking of memory, I have my car set so that when the key is removed both the steering wheel and the seat move up/back. The strange thing is that only the steering wheel moves up, the seat stays in it position. (I dont have my seat very far back either). It does work, if i move set the seat to a closer postion, then both the steering and seat moves up/back and when it move back it moves back farther than my normal seating position.

BTW: I am only 5'7 so, as you can tell my seat is not postioned very far back, but i guess the convience feature is ideally for someone smaller who has there seat at a closer position....unless this is a problem that is only on my car, than perhaps I should have it looked at. Anyone else notice this?
Old 03-21-2002, 11:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Re: Mirror Drifts...

Originally posted by spacetrain
Count Me in, My 01 C320 does the same thing. It tends to mostly happen on the driver side, the mirror usually drifts down...probably about 1/2. I turn my passenger side parking tilt mirror off, so that side usually says where it should.

speaking of memory, I have my car set so that when the key is removed both the steering wheel and the seat move up/back. The strange thing is that only the steering wheel moves up, the seat stays in it position. (I dont have my seat very far back either). It does work, if i move set the seat to a closer postion, then both the steering and seat moves up/back and when it move back it moves back farther than my normal seating position.

BTW: I am only 5'7 so, as you can tell my seat is not postioned very far back, but i guess the convience feature is ideally for someone smaller who has there seat at a closer position....unless this is a problem that is only on my car, than perhaps I should have it looked at. Anyone else notice this?
If I remember correctly, I think the seat only moves back if it is closer than half way. I think I have mine right on the border for it does move back. btw- I'm about 5'11", and although I don't sit way back, I don't sit right up on the wheel either.