C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HELP~ with my Automatic Key- Door release

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Kompressor, Capri Blue
HELP~ with my Automatic Key- Door release

Hello all,

I have a feeling this has happened before and I have searched, but just cannot find a good answer for my situation. I purchased this 2002 C230K used with 18k miles about 2 months ago. I have both keys, but neither will unlock the doors. I put new batteries in this, the key lights up red, but nothing happens. Is there a fuse I could check and where is it located? I see the fusebox under the hood, but have no diagraphm to show the fuse placements. I am thinking its either the fuse or some synchronization issue. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Does the car start? Open the car with the manual key, and see if you can get it running. If not, check the car's battery...or jump start it.

My battery died a week out of warranty, and the symptoms were exactly what you're experiencing. 18k miles on a 2002 car means it's been sitting - not running.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:06 AM

Rick,

Thanks. Okay,the car starts and runs fine. Its just getting the automatic key fob to work. I have to manually take the key out of the holder each time to lock and unlock the car.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:57 AM

'02 CL203 M111
Or maybe you just did not point the key to the infrared receptor (black square at the door handle). the 02 models were infrared not radio keys.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230 KOMPRESSOR
Originally Posted by jagsy
I see the fusebox under the hood, but have no diagraphm to show the fuse placements. I am thinking its either the fuse or some synchronization issue. Thanks for any help you can give me.
There are a total of 3 fuse boxes that I know of.. the one under the hood that you already found.. there is one in the trunk by the first aid kit... and the third is on the side of the dash when you open the driver door.. the one on the dash should have a paper in it with the diagram for all three... maybe that will help you...

As for he IR port on the door handle... that is for the auto window feature.... the lock still use radio frequency........ <---- AT least that is what I was told by MB dealer...
Old 10-02-2007, 09:31 AM

Should I just go to the dealer then? Of course, after I check the fuse.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:48 AM

'02 CL203 M111
Originally Posted by rjab0196
As for he IR port on the door handle... that is for the auto window feature.... the lock still use radio frequency........ <---- AT least that is what I was told by MB dealer...
Well one way to find out... little test.
I point the key in the direction of the receptor, the door lock and unlock as usual.
Now, do the same thing at the same place, but with the palm of your hand blocking the infrared light from the key, like you would do when you were kid on the TV remote control, so your brother can't change the channel.
If your key can lock and unlock, then it is radio.
On my 02 it cannot.
and my IR key works only when I am standing next to the door on the rear side of the car (the level of the back seat).
Old 10-03-2007, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 coupe , NOt THE AVATAR!!
Originally Posted by spyderpig
I point the key in the direction of the receptor, the door lock and unlock as usual.
Now, do the same thing at the same place, but with the palm of your hand blocking the infrared light from the key, like you would do when you were kid on the TV remote control, so your brother can't change the channel.
On my 02 it cannot.
and my IR key works only when I am standing next to the door on the rear side of the car (the level of the back seat).
it happened to my 02 coupe, they changed my radio antana, before, i think i had the same issue about the key pointing to the door handle to unlock, but they fix the problem and now i could unlock my door pretty far away
Old 10-03-2007, 01:12 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230 KOMPRESSOR
Originally Posted by spyderpig
On my 02 it cannot.
I have 02 c230K and i can unlock my doors from inside the house...I only need to be right there for the auto windows...
However I have noticed that my ir only works on the passenger side.. when i try the driver side it never works{taking about auto windows here
}.. i need take door apart and check that out... maybe a wire is diconetced or something...

I will also say that i have only owned car for 1 month and it is my first mb so i know hardly anything.....
Old 10-03-2007, 01:42 AM

'02 CL203 M111
Originally Posted by Brabus_x2
it happened to my 02 coupe, they changed my radio antana, before, i think i had the same issue about the key pointing to the door handle to unlock, but they fix the problem and now i could unlock my door pretty far away
So I guess my radio never worked...
Well time to get it fixed at the stealer that's gonna $$$$

Originally Posted by rjab0196
I have 02 c230K and i can unlock my doors from inside the house...I only need to be right there for the auto windows...
However I have noticed that my ir only works on the passenger side.. when i try the driver side it never works{taking about auto windows here
}.. i need take door apart and check that out... maybe a wire is diconetced or something...

I will also say that i have only owned car for 1 month and it is my first mb so i know hardly anything.....
I think I kinda have the same issue with the IR driver side... some times it works sometimes not... depending on Miss benzy's mood lol.
I tried to look inside my door everything is well connected. I unplug and replug them on that module (at the level of the inside door opener).

With all these input I guess jagsy might have the radio anthena issue then ... u guys agree?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 coupe , NOt THE AVATAR!!
lol my was fixed under warranty, but for window opening i think you still need to point directly into it
Old 10-03-2007, 01:55 AM

'02 CL203 M111
HAHA I did that for years ... stupid me ... now Im doing it on passenger side lol
Old 10-03-2007, 09:25 AM

I actually do have a radio frequency issue. In fact, I do not get any AM radio. This is my first MB as well, and it takes some getting used to.

Now, what do you fellas recommend for a new antenna, and how is it replaced?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by jagsy; 10-03-2007 at 09:28 AM.