C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Aftermarket extended warranty for used car past 50,000 miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 c230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Aftermarket extended warranty for used car past 50,000 miles

My 2005 car's a CPO car comes with 4yr 100,000 mile warranty. I'm wondering if I can purchase an extended warranty since I'm just shy of the 4 yr mark.

1. Do you recommend having an extended warranty for our cars?
2. Any recommendations on what company to go with? Fidelity? Mercury?
3. How much are you guys paying? coverage?

Thanks a ton!

UPDATE:
Apparently online quotes are not available for California. However, I still got one and I'm wondering if it's legitimate. Auto Warranty Broker quoted me $999 for my car until 1/21/2013 or 168,000 miles for Powertrain Coverage engine, transmission and transfer case. That sounds too good to be true. Before I call them to confirm, what do you guys think?

OTHER HELPFUL THREADS:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ended+warranty

Last edited by zoomie; 01-22-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 S550, CLS500, ‘03 SL500, “92 190E Sportline
This is the one thing I've yet do accomplish...

I want a warranty for my car as well. I have a 2003 c230 sedan. I bought it with 45,000 miles from a private seller, but it was already past the 4 yr mark. Now I have just over 50,000 miles. I want a warranty to just cover the major components, transmission, etc...

Check out the thread I made a while back, I still can't get a definite answer regarding an aftermarket warranty. I wish Mercedes could just extend the warranty for anyone!

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/214634-after-market-warranty-03-c230.html
Old 01-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Banned

Anyone else have opinions about this issue? I can't add a poll to this thread for some reason, so what's your opinion about extended warrantees specific to our c-class cars?

- Warranty is a great idea!
- Warranty is a waste of money
- Warranty is good if you can afford it.
- I have an extended warranty
- I plan to buy an extended warranty when mine runs out.
- I have no plans to buy any type of warranty.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:53 AM
Banned

VALUABLE INFORMATION:
Auto Warranty Brokers: $745 / Powertrain warranty
Continental Warranty: $1,745 / Powertrain warranty

After reading the two contracts word for word (yes, I have them both on my desk now), I've concluded that they cover exactly the same thing except that Continental Warranty has road side service. That's not worth the extra $1,000 especially since my auto insurance policy already covers road side service.

I've decided to cancel Continental Warranty and perhaps stick with Auto Warrany Brokers if I choose to keep one at all. *pat on the back* I just saved myself at least $1,000.

Hope this helps others who are looking for warrantees.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 coupe , NOt THE AVATAR!!
hmm almost 2k for warranty..

while the C class about to worth only 9k...
Old 01-26-2008, 03:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brabus_x2
hmm almost 2k for warranty..

while the C class about to worth only 9k...
$745 is closer to 1k than 2k and the car's definitely worth more than 9k.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by zoomie
My 2005 car's a CPO car comes with 4yr 100,000 mile warranty. I'm wondering if I can purchase an extended warranty since I'm just shy of the 4 yr mark.

1. Do you recommend having an extended warranty for our cars?
2. Any recommendations on what company to go with? Fidelity? Mercury?
3. How much are you guys paying? coverage?

Thanks a ton!

UPDATE:
Apparently online quotes are not available for California. However, I still got one and I'm wondering if it's legitimate. Auto Warranty Broker quoted me $999 for my car until 1/21/2013 or 168,000 miles for Powertrain Coverage engine, transmission and transfer case. That sounds too good to be true. Before I call them to confirm, what do you guys think?

OTHER HELPFUL THREADS:
yes, try mercury insurance
Old 02-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Banned

I ended up canceling Continental (didn't need to pay $1k for roadside service that is already covered by auto insurance) and stuck with the Auto Warranty Broker.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
2010 c300
I read somewhere that online warranties are not legal in California and if someone offers you one they are lying. I'll need to look for it and post it here once I find it.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:29 PM

06' C230SS
Originally Posted by aznmode
I read somewhere that online warranties are not legal in California and if someone offers you one they are lying. I'll need to look for it and post it here once I find it.
Arnold will not allow it! Hha. Looks like he already switched over too! Better hurry!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by aznmode
I read that too...and its' true. (the website you're refering to is called carbuyingtips)
There's a couple details that I had to scrabble through to figure out (calling on the phone and speaking with multiple people from various companies).

1. If they are not ONLY online, you can do it. Another words, Mercury and Great America, two of the biggest ones have locations you can phsyically walk into. If the warranty company ONLY exists online, yes, they are illegal.

2. The paperwork must be sent out of state. Technically you can drive your car back to California (assuming it wasn't there to begin with) and still be covered. Another words, you can have your documents sent to Texas, have your relatives ship it back to you in California, sign the papers, send it to the company and still be covered in California.

You may have trouble finding coverage in California due to your mileage being too high. From my findings, Auto Warranty Broker and Continental Broker (not recommended) cover high mileage cars. Companies like Diamler Christler will not cover anything over 60,000 miles i believe. Many companies will only cover if you purchase the extended warranty within a certain period of time after purchasing your car (10 days from Mercury directly. You can get Mercury coverage from AWB though for any number of miles at anytime, but you'll be limited to the Powertrain warranty and the Silver package.)

Last edited by zoomie; 02-01-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:53 AM

05 c230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Refundable Extended Warranties

Not sure if this will help anyone looking for extended warranties but I came in contact with one of the founders of this extended warranty company and they have a great program going on. Their main focus is on cars with no warranty and it's very affordable. If you sign up as a rep, at no cost, when you purchase the extended warranty from yourself you get a 500 dollar bonus/commission so that reduces the overal cost of the warranty by 500.00. If you pay up front I believe there is another 200.00 discount and you can actually get the price down to 1295.00. And the kicker is, if you don't make any claims against the warranty then you get a refund so it's a win win deal in my eyes. Also, it comes with road side assistance type of services like AAA and also includes rental car reimbursements. To me, it looks like one of the best extended warranties on the market. If you guys check it out, I would appreciate any and all feedback before I purchase from them.

They also offer up to 24 month Zero Interest payment financing options and discounts for paying up front. From what I understand it covers pretty much all cars and doesn't matter on the age of the vehicle but don't quote me on that. I'm still learning more about it. Again, I would appreciate your feedback on this program. The company that offers it has been around for a while but this marketing branch is fairly new and offers even greater pricing.

Hope this helps out. Oh yeah, almost forgot. Here's the website to go to:
refundableWarranties.com

JZ
Old 02-03-2008, 09:28 AM

^^ Refundable warranty? Anyone else smell a scam? lol
Does this warranty cause our cars to gain an extra 15-20hp?
Old 02-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 Mercedes C320 Sport Sedan, Lexus Rx300, Dodge 2500 Cummins
i made the mistake of getting an aftermarket warranty for my old durango..i drive a lot of miles and thought it was a good idea at the time. Everytime something went wrong they would find a way to not cover it, one good example is the power steering rack went bad, and i guess that when my durango was new there was a recall that had been done on it for a seal, the work was done by the dealer so it was fine. But the warranty company said they would not pay for it because there had been a recall having anything to do with that system. So essentially i had a $1400 worthless piece of paper, i canceled the policy and got back about 700ish. I ended up being out more than that to fix my truck...my advice dont do it. My c320 has 115k on it, drives great, and no real issues. Ive had the basics go wrong, seat modules, coils etc..but..the last thing just left a bad taste in my mouth about the warranty companies
Old 02-03-2008, 06:11 PM

Refundable Warranty

Originally Posted by moc320
i made the mistake of getting an aftermarket warranty for my old durango..i drive a lot of miles and thought it was a good idea at the time. Everytime something went wrong they would find a way to not cover it, one good example is the power steering rack went bad, and i guess that when my durango was new there was a recall that had been done on it for a seal, the work was done by the dealer so it was fine. But the warranty company said they would not pay for it because there had been a recall having anything to do with that system. So essentially i had a $1400 worthless piece of paper, i canceled the policy and got back about 700ish. I ended up being out more than that to fix my truck...my advice dont do it. My c320 has 115k on it, drives great, and no real issues. Ive had the basics go wrong, seat modules, coils etc..but..the last thing just left a bad taste in my mouth about the warranty companies
Well if for some reason something is not covered and there is no claim made you would get your money back after the 5 years are up so you would not lose your initial investment to the warranty. About what's covered, that's something you have to make sure of before you signup for the extended warranty. They have different limits based on the year make and model of your car. It's not a scam. They are a group of people from the Auto Industry including the auto warranty industry trying to put a product out there that is better than what's offered by other warranty programs. Again, I'm still looking into all the details of the program. Keep the comments flowing. Thanks
Old 02-03-2008, 06:18 PM

Refundable Mortgage

Originally Posted by aolsen
^^ Refundable warranty? Anyone else smell a scam? lol
Does this warranty cause our cars to gain an extra 15-20hp?
Before you start negative rumors about something Please look for yourself before jumping on the Scam Wagon Not everything that sounds to good to be true is a scam. I happen to work with a company that helps home owners pay off their homes in as little as 1/2 to 1/3 the time with little to no change to their current life-style and with that people started claiming scam because it sounded too good to be true when in reality it's no scam, it's true. It's helping many people save on average of 100,000 plus depending on what part of the country you live in. I'm in California and it's saving people around 250,000 in mortgage interest. Those people are not claiming scam and if they listened to all those claiming scam many people would not be better off like they are. Check it out for yourself. creativeFortunes.com
Old 02-03-2008, 10:50 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
W203 warranty

<<Anyone else have opinions about this issue? I can't add a poll to this thread for some reason, so what's your opinion about extended warrantees specific to our c-class cars?>>

- Warranty is a great idea!

Having purchased a 2001 C320 new in April 2001, I purchased the factory backed additional 4/48 and paid $2400 for it. In the period between April 2005 (expiration of original warranty) and October 2007 there were $2800 in repairs paid for by it. That car was a reliability nightmare and thank God for the warranty.

My '08 C300 at nearly four months and 2600 miles has not had one single problem, a Mercedes miracle.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by jimzak
Before you start negative rumors about something Please look for yourself before jumping on the Scam Wagon Not everything that sounds to good to be true is a scam. I happen to work with a company that helps home owners pay off their homes in as little as 1/2 to 1/3 the time with little to no change to their current life-style and with that people started claiming scam because it sounded too good to be true when in reality it's no scam, it's true. It's helping many people save on average of 100,000 plus depending on what part of the country you live in. I'm in California and it's saving people around 250,000 in mortgage interest. Those people are not claiming scam and if they listened to all those claiming scam many people would not be better off like they are. Check it out for yourself. creativeFortunes.com
Anyone else smell a scam?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:55 AM

2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Extended warranties rarely pay for themselves....check out consumerreports.org

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ranties-ov.htm
Old 03-21-2008, 02:25 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Warranty

<<Extended warranties rarely pay for themselves....check out consumerreports.org>>

If you own a W203 you had better have an extended warranty because, according to MY dealer, and even though the new S-Class and C-Class are proving to be trouble free, the W203s (all years) are still having troubles and will keep them busy for years to come.

And the turbocharged 4-cylinders are particularly lucrative, what with all the expensive head and valve problems of late.

This is real life.