C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Arrrgh!!!! Got rear ended Tuesday morning.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:58 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
Arrrgh!!!! Got rear ended Tuesday morning.

Going to work Tuesday morning after being home with the flu for 4 days and I get no more than 5 minutes on the road and back ended by an '01 BMW 7 series. Dang was I pissed. Still did not feel real good and now this. Guy was very appologetic and even called his carrier and started the claim process right on the spot which is not normal now a days. CEO of a home health care company and seems legit.

Now to decide who to have fix it. Mercedes dealer or independant shop that does work for the other high end dealers that don't have their own body shops? Main concern is matching the metallic silver paint. What would you do?

Sucks, but what are 'ya gonna do? Mosy likely it's just the rear bumper, deck lid and minor trim. Lights are OK but the gaps around them are larger now and I can't see any damage to the side panels.

Oh, and for anyone that has had to reset the active restraint head rests, I thought it was a big pain in the ***! Took about half an hour to finally figure it out. The picture in the owners manual SUCKS for instructions.

Last edited by SteveL1; 02-06-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
maybe they'll just total the car, then you can buy other bigger car that you wanted
Old 02-06-2008, 10:10 PM

2003 MB C240
How much damage does it have? Pics possible?? We just repaired a 2007 E350...total bill came out to $30k.

Sorry to hear that man. I hope everything if fine with you. I work for one of the larger auto body shops in SoCal and all I can say is ask your family and friends about a respectable body shop in your area. Your right, most dealers dont have their own shops. Any good shop should be able to match the silver with no problems.....but the clear coat will change the color too depending on the brand(DuPont, PPG, etc). Oh yea, ask a lot of questions. And tell them you want an update at least once a week. If they are as good as i am they should call you at least twice a week with status updates and notify you about any delays. If you got any questions just shoot me a PM.

Last edited by cbwdevil; 02-06-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: additonal info
Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 PM

First estimate was from the local MBZ dealer that does have it's own shop. Only $1600 but he said that they would likely find some little stuff once they get it apart. It's not bad enough to show much in a picture. Heck, my wife couldn't even see where it was damaged until I started pointing it out. Have another estimate appt. tomorrow morning at the shop that the Insurance Co. wants me to use. Yea, we'll see about that.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I believe that yours has the ceramiclear (?). AFAIK only PPG has that readily available. Make sure you get that or they will use something else. HTH
Old 02-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
that sucks dude. as amdeutsch said, your car uses the ceramic clearcoat. I heard the best places to get your car fixed is at a Maybach authorized repair shop.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 PM

2003 C240
I recently rear-ended someone, and my estimate came to $2400. My damage is to mainly the hood and grille, and the front bumper will need to be replaced as well. My headlight also got scratched....I'm bringing it in on Monday morning. I'm having a collision shop specializing in Mercedes do the work. I'll let you know my experience in a couple weeks....good luck. I wanted to see how much the dealer's collision would estimate, but the nearest dealer shop isn't really convenient for me.

Originally Posted by kevblah
wait...you're replacing your bumper too?
do i hear rieger?
No its just scratched, no breakage or dents on the bumper...

Last edited by LuxuryC240; 02-06-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E90 M3
Originally Posted by LuxuryC240
I recently rear-ended someone, and my estimate came to $2400. My damage is to mainly the hood and grille, and the front bumper will need to be replaced as well. My headlight also got scratched....I'm bringing it in on Monday morning. I'm having a collision shop specializing in Mercedes do the work. I'll let you know my experience in a couple weeks....good luck.
wait...you're replacing your bumper too?
do i hear rieger?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:06 PM

I was shocked to see that the second estimate was also in the $1600 range and they also said that it would likely double once they got most of the damaged stuff off and found other issues. The shop I stopped at today said that they only use Sherwin Williams products and when I asked about the ceramic clear coat, his comment was only that they've never had a customer reject their color matching ability. I simply replied that they probably have not had as picky a customer as me yet.

Another good note was that they guy that hit me called to see if I was being taken care of and again said how bad he felt. This was the first day using the road as a route around a huge highway construction project we have going on here and was simply not paying attention when he hit me. As it turns out, we are meeting next week to see if I can help him grow his business. He recently hired a PR firm and I'm in the printing/marketing business so who knows. Looks like I will end up going to the MB dealer that has thier own shop. I figure they have sprayed a lot more Mercedes silver than any other shop in town.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLK500
Originally Posted by SteveL1
I was shocked to see that the second estimate was also in the $1600 range and they also said that it would likely double once they got most of the damaged stuff off and found other issues. The shop I stopped at today said that they only use Sherwin Williams products and when I asked about the ceramic clear coat, his comment was only that they've never had a customer reject their color matching ability. I simply replied that they probably have not had as picky a customer as me yet.

Another good note was that they guy that hit me called to see if I was being taken care of and again said how bad he felt. This was the first day using the road as a route around a huge highway construction project we have going on here and was simply not paying attention when he hit me. As it turns out, we are meeting next week to see if I can help him grow his business. He recently hired a PR firm and I'm in the printing/marketing business so who knows. Looks like I will end up going to the MB dealer that has thier own shop. I figure they have sprayed a lot more Mercedes silver than any other shop in town.
Yeap, I agree with you. Stick with MB recommended bodyshop

Hope everything turns out well ..
Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 AM

01 C320
Atleast you got hit by a legit person with insurance! My benz got rearended by a 21yr old pot head with no job in a 88 Ford Tempo. The turd wasnt paying attention when I was stopped at the railroad tracks and just drove right into my rear bumper. He had no insurance and was headed to his parents house to ask for gas money. Thats how broke he was.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by suprasv
Atleast you got hit by a legit person with insurance! My benz got rearended by a 21yr old pot head with no job in a 88 Ford Tempo. The turd wasnt paying attention when I was stopped at the railroad tracks and just drove right into my rear bumper. He had no insurance and was headed to his parents house to ask for gas money. Thats how broke he was.
that's when you pin him to the ground till the cops get there.