C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C63 diffuser on w203

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 C230WZ SS Capri Blue/Ash
Originally Posted by drexappeal
If you're willing to spend the $$$, the easiest way to run a "true dual" would be to swap out the spare tire well/trunk area with the setup for the C55.

Weidermann (one of the OG members) had a Midnight Blue C32 that he swapped out the C32 exhaust with a C55 exhaust, which required having to change the tire well area (placed differently on a C55 due to the exhaust). I don't remember how much he spent, but if you do a search for the threads he created, I'm sure you'll find the info. I do remember that it was a pretty costly job, however, I'm not sure how much of that was in replacing the entire trunk area vs. the exhaust itself.

He posted mostly in the C32/C55 forum.

Actually, just read his posting a few days ago. Very impressive what he did, and I'm sure it was bigtime bucks. The thing with the non- C55 models is that the spare tire well is not centered, but shifted more towards the right side of the car, making installing a dual exhaust system a nearly impossible feat. So, what Weidermann did was replace his spare tire well with the C55, which is centered. Which then allows space for an OEM C55 dual exhaust setup.

Things to note:

- The spare tire, tools, equipement, tire well cover all need to be replaced, as the non C55 models' equipment do not fit in the C55's well.

- Replacing the spare tire well is not a painful as it sounds. The W203's basically have a molded plastic tub that sits on top of the frame rails. Removing/installing, is just a bit more than unbolting the old and bolting the new one in. I'm sure there's more to it, but unlike other cars, who's spare tire well/trunk floor is steel, and welded to the body, the W203's is just basically a plastic tub.

Search for his posting. It's really remarkable. It may be in the C32/C55 picture sticky thread, but not sure.

Cintoman
Old 08-04-2008, 03:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz C200K Sport Edition and 04 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Cintoman
Actually, just read his posting a few days ago. Very impressive what he did, and I'm sure it was bigtime bucks. The thing with the non- C55 models is that the spare tire well is not centered, but shifted more towards the right side of the car, making installing a dual exhaust system a nearly impossible feat. So, what Weidermann did was replace his spare tire well with the C55, which is centered. Which then allows space for an OEM C55 dual exhaust setup.

Things to note:

- The spare tire, tools, equipement, tire well cover all need to be replaced, as the non C55 models' equipment do not fit in the C55's well.

- Replacing the spare tire well is not a painful as it sounds. The W203's basically have a molded plastic tub that sits on top of the frame rails. Removing/installing, is just a bit more than unbolting the old and bolting the new one in. I'm sure there's more to it, but unlike other cars, who's spare tire well/trunk floor is steel, and welded to the body, the W203's is just basically a plastic tub.

Search for his posting. It's really remarkable. It may be in the C32/C55 picture sticky thread, but not sure.

Cintoman
I have already ordered the C55 spare wheel well, so i can get a much cleaner finish to my dual exhaust quad set up. Will post some pics when i have got the quote from body shop.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:56 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter

Things to note:

Cintoman
atually to run true dual you only need to get the C55 spare tire well and heat shield. You can then custom the muffler using borla or magna flow or whatever.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport

Things to note:

Cintoman
I'm assuming you were just chiming in to add more to what I had already mentioned, correct?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by tudu
I have already ordered the C55 spare wheel well, so i can get a much cleaner finish to my dual exhaust quad set up. Will post some pics when i have got the quote from body shop.
But with a 200K, I hope you realize that you won't have a "true dual" as compared to the v6 models.

A "true dual" piped exhaust means that the piping flows directly from headers, to down pipe, to cat, (to 2nd cat if applicable), to resonator, to muffler and out. With a V6 model, this is achievable. With the m271 engine, there is only 1 set of headers (as supposed to 2 on the v6 models).

So, doing Y piping before the muffler exits would probably be more of a detriment to your car than a "help" as far as performance is concerned. Basically, instead of the exhaust flow from the primary exhaust/headers going straight through 1 pipe, you'd end up splitting the air flow prior to the mufflers, which isn't ideal.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:33 PM

I'm assuming you were just chiming in to add more to what I had already mentioned, correct?
Yep...just chiming in with some more info drex

BTW, I was thinking of doing this (quad exhaust) with mine, mostly for the rear to look symmetrical, but cost is way too much. Besides, I can admit there'd be something wrong with having 1 exhaust outlet for each cylinder on my car (M271). Maybe not as bad as the Civic I seen a few weeks ago with quad 3 inch exhausts exiting out from the center of his car, C6 Corvette style

Don't know if it's worth putting in dual AMG exhaust tips on the left side, a la 2007 C230 style, and then throwing on similar tips but fake on the right side.

Saw a posting that had some setups where there were dual tipped on the left, and then a pipe was snaked between the spare tire well and the rear bumper over to the right side. Not sure how this bodes for back pressure, or whether the pipe was solid and fake.

Here's a link for one of them:
http://www.cargraphic.de/stepone/dat...c-klasse-1.jpg

Also see posting #5 in this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...haust+c55+tips

Not sure how much these would cost.

Cintoman
Old 08-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Saw a posting that had some setups where there were dual tipped on the left, and then a pipe was snaked between the spare tire well and the rear bumper over to the right side. Not sure how this bodes for back pressure, or whether the pipe was solid and fake.
You mean, like mine?...LOL. I don't have true dual and it's not ideal for a 4 cylinder engine to have a true dual anyway. I had it custom done from AAA Exhaust in L.A. Unless there is a shop that you KNOW does quality work, I'd hesitate as well. Thing is, it was MUCH less expensive than I thought it would be.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:15 PM

But with a 200K, I hope you realize that you won't have a "true dual" as compared to the v6 models.

A "true dual" piped exhaust means that the piping flows directly from headers, to down pipe, to cat, (to 2nd cat if applicable), to resonator, to muffler and out. With a V6 model, this is achievable. With the m271 engine, there is only 1 set of headers (as supposed to 2 on the v6 models).

So, doing Y piping before the muffler exits would probably be more of a detriment to your car than a "help" as far as performance is concerned. Basically, instead of the exhaust flow from the primary exhaust/headers going straight through 1 pipe, you'd end up splitting the air flow prior to the mufflers, which isn't ideal.
Thanks. I already have removed the OEM centre cat and replaced with 3-in-line mufflers before the Y pipe. My reason for fitting the C55 tyre wheel well is to get a better fit as currently the pipework is tight and unsightly wrapped round the current W203 wheel well. Would fitting 2 extra c55 boxes (1 either side) to attach quad pipes too still restrict air flow? As i am also hoping to reduce the level of noise (its legal but loud) in the current system set-up.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by tudu
Thanks. I already have removed the OEM centre cat and replaced with 3-in-line mufflers before the Y pipe. My reason for fitting the C55 tyre wheel well is to get a better fit as currently the pipework is tight and unsightly wrapped round the current W203 wheel well. Would fitting 2 extra c55 boxes (1 either side) to attach quad pipes too still restrict air flow? As i am also hoping to reduce the level of noise (its legal but loud) in the current system set-up.

If you already have 3-in-line mufflers before the Y, the 2 extra mufflers would definitely decrease the sound, but also might be too much restriction for the airflow.

Ultimately though, changing the piping from as straight through (1 pipe) design to a Y pipe before the muffler exits is not the most ideal setup for an i4.

Ideally, you want the piping to be as straight through from the headers all the way to the exit tip, especially on force induced 4 cylinder engines. That why a "true dual" on a v6 is great because the piping is a straight through design from the headers all the way to the exit on both sides.

Basically, I'm trying to clarify for those who don't understand the meaning of "true dual" (so please don't think I'm saying that you don't comprehend). Once you have a Y split into 2 exhaust sides, it's not really a "true dual" because the piping starts from 1 pipe. In a "true dual" setup, the piping leads straight (relatively speaking) from the engine where the headers are to the exhaust exits. For those that don't understand, v6's have 2 sets of headers (3 cylinders per side - true dual would give each set its own piping) and i4's have 1 set of headers (4 in line). v8's have 2 sets of headers (4 cylinders per side)...etc, etc, etc...
Old 08-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by Chadski350Sport
…What do you think?..I'm covering the extra white that stands out on the inside of the cut-outs...
Subsequent pertinent and helpful posts from respected members, including its vendor:

I would suggest that you cut the bumper to match the diffuser and center the tips to finish the dual look!
Yep agree..I personally would not cover the white parts - just get them cut out right so all you can see is the diffuser cut-outs.
Can't understand why you would want to cover it when it takes few seconds to cut away the bumper cut-outs to get a nice
clean job!
...cutout the bumper and make the tips fit to the diffuser. it looks retarded and doesn't do the diffuser justice.
FrankW recommended cutting the bumper so the openings are the same, and reposition the exhausts so they're centered.
I agree...
I would recommend you visit a good local exhaust centre…
To which you responded:
...I..have received manyyyy complements on it...
Except here. Perhaps congratulatory comments were sent via PM.

My previous post was not intended to diss you personally.

Rather, it was merely to suggest that you have your shop size and refit the cutouts and their tips so that the diffuser’s intended visual impact can best be fully realized.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Aside from all of that, I LOVE THIS PIECE and have received manyyyy complements on it. Here are some pics with the real cam...
Hope you enjoy and let me know what you think...

Chad, no offense, but it looks like crap.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Saprissa
Chad, no offense, but it looks like crap.
My opinion...still needs some work. Looks like on the top left edge, it's not flush with the white of your bumper. Again this is the case above the right side dual exhausts. And the bumper definitely should be cut to match the diffuser's openings. Again Just MHO.

Otherwise I think it looks really nice on a white car.

Cintoman
Old 08-05-2008, 01:28 AM

Teo...haven't gotten an e-mail with your tracking #. Any chance you can send it/resend it to me. Thanks.

Cintoman
Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 AM

If you already have 3-in-line mufflers before the Y, the 2 extra mufflers would definitely decrease the sound, but also might be too much restriction for the airflow.

Ultimately though, changing the piping from as straight through (1 pipe) design to a Y pipe before the muffler exits is not the most ideal setup for an i4.

Ideally, you want the piping to be as straight through from the headers all the way to the exit tip, especially on force induced 4 cylinder engines. That why a "true dual" on a v6 is great because the piping is a straight through design from the headers all the way to the exit on both sides.

Basically, I'm trying to clarify for those who don't understand the meaning of "true dual" (so please don't think I'm saying that you don't comprehend). Once you have a Y split into 2 exhaust sides, it's not really a "true dual" because the piping starts from 1 pipe. In a "true dual" setup, the piping leads straight (relatively speaking) from the engine where the headers are to the exhaust exits. For those that don't understand, v6's have 2 sets of headers (3 cylinders per side - true dual would give each set its own piping) and i4's have 1 set of headers (4 in line). v8's have 2 sets of headers (4 cylinders per side)...etc, etc, etc...
Hi, many thanks for the info. I better understand the 'true dual' setup now, and will add the 2 C55 boxes and see what the end result sounds and feels like. Once again many thanks for your informative post, and answering my query.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W212
Got it, Thank so much Teo.
Attached Thumbnails C63 diffuser on w203-picture-001.jpg  
Old 08-05-2008, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A45 AMG Edition 1
Originally Posted by amcw203
Enjoy bro
Old 08-05-2008, 07:29 AM

C32 AMG
@tls1212: I think you have sent me the wrong tracking ID or you just have sent the diffuser to the wrong address. Check e-mails!
Old 08-05-2008, 07:40 AM

A45 AMG Edition 1
Originally Posted by RichyGER
@tls1212: I think you have sent me the wrong tracking ID or you just have sent the diffuser to the wrong address. Check e-mails!
hi i follow the address you have provided to me exactly sure you get the diffuser,also i will checked the tracking number on tomorrow morning for status.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
Slap that baby on i wanna see how it look with just one side Exhaust Tips...
Old 08-05-2008, 09:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W212
Originally Posted by WaveyKat
Slap that baby on i wanna see how it look with just one side Exhaust Tips...
I have send that out to my friend to change to CF. I will post the Pricture up soon.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:09 AM

A45 AMG Edition 1
I have send that out to my friend to change to CF. I will post the Pricture up soon.
Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow

a test fit would be nice before it goes out!!
Old 08-05-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 EVO 8 612whp(sold) 2005 c55 amg R35 GTR
Anyone have any problem getting it threw customs.
I just got a email from LAX customs any they need my social # and have fill out some paper work before they can clear it.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
Originally Posted by AMGMIZ
I just got a email from LAX customs any they need my social # and have fill out some paper work before they can clear it.
it seems as though you're the first member to have problems. everyone seem to have gotten theirs np at all!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:55 PM

06 C55
Originally Posted by AMGMIZ
It happens some times you just got flagged. It happened to me not on the diffuser but on something else I ordered from California. I asked why they needed this info and was told they randomly audit packages entering the country and it just happened that it was mine. If this is all it is no worries just go down and they should release the package good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: C63 diffuser on w203