C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

all 4 of my tires are leaking air crazy...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive a Toyota Hybrid...
all 4 of my tires are leaking air crazy...

so here it goes, i bought a really good used car recently, so i haven't been driven my Coupe for nearly 2 months now. i know..

anyway so i try to warm my coupe up and drive it to work, speed it up to 70MPH my steering wheel vibrate soo crazy with lot of road noise. i got scared, so i exit and went to a gas station check my air pressure, front were down to 20PSI, both rear were like 5-10psi. I know i was stupid, i didn't check my air pressure before i take off. ok so i fill it up and hit the road again.

then 2 days later, drive to coupe, it vibrate again, so i check the tires, 20PSI (yup i brought my own tire pressure gauge) so i think there might be a leak. finally got home, take the wheels off, do the old school way spin it inside my bathtube to see if there are any nail or air leaking.

but they look fine to me

where else could it be leaking air?

i am thinking replica rims are not reliable after 30,000 miles??

Last edited by kirax2; 08-25-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:06 AM

fleet vehicle
Maybe the valve stems. There is some sort of recall going on... 30 million Chinese made stems... try Google... contact your wheel/tire seller. Might be a free fix.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
If you drove the car when the tires were low on air, the bead may have been broken. Make sure the rim lip is not bent, or it won't hold air well. If it isn't leaking from the tire/lip bead seal, then it might be the valve stems, but I doubt all 4 valve stems would go out at the same time. I would take off all 4 wheels and have a shop mount the tires and reset the beads with a bead sealer. Also have them check the tires to be sure there is no damage to the tires, such as sidewall tears or cracks.

From wikipedia...

"It is common amongst drivers of off-road vehicles to decrease the air pressure in their tires.[who?] This makes the tread of the tire spread out, creating more surface area for the tire's tread to grip the terrain. If the pressure is too low there may not be enough pressure to keep the bead on the wheel thus causing the bead to pop off the wheel. This is often referred to as "losing a bead". Beadlocks, which clamp the bead on the wheel, are often used in this case."
Old 08-25-2008, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by qianlimoro
Maybe the valve stems. There is some sort of recall going on... 30 million Chinese made stems... try Google... contact your wheel/tire seller. Might be a free fix.
I really doubt Chinese made stems would be the cause for his problem.....

I remember a story where people were blaming Chinese made food for making people sick in Japan. It turns out the warehouse in Japan fumigated their warehouse with rat poison, which in turn contaminated the food.

Last edited by pshek; 08-25-2008 at 02:51 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
wanna buy a set of used 19" tires?
Old 08-25-2008, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Shake
wanna buy a set of used 19" tires?
ahhaha was it from Rlee those General 265/30/19?? i don't know man they only have 50% thread life left and mounting balancing cost 100bux
Old 08-25-2008, 03:18 AM

fleet vehicle
Originally Posted by pshek
I really doubt Chinese made stems would be the cause for his problem.....

I remember a story where people were blaming Chinese made food for making people sick in Japan. It turns out the warehouse in Japan fumigated their warehouse with rat poison, which in turn contaminated the food.

Okay. 30 million valve stems have been recalled, who cares where they were made...

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...lls&id=6321302
Old 08-25-2008, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by pshek
If you drove the car when the tires were low on air, the bead may have been broken. Make sure the rim lip is not bent, or it won't hold air well. If it isn't leaking from the tire/lip bead seal, then it might be the valve stems, but I doubt all 4 valve stems would go out at the same time. I would take off all 4 wheels and have a shop mount the tires and reset the beads with a bead sealer. Also have them check the tires to be sure there is no damage to the tires, such as sidewall tears or cracks.

From wikipedia...

"It is common amongst drivers of off-road vehicles to decrease the air pressure in their tires.[who?] This makes the tread of the tire spread out, creating more surface area for the tire's tread to grip the terrain. If the pressure is too low there may not be enough pressure to keep the bead on the wheel thus causing the bead to pop off the wheel. This is often referred to as "losing a bead". Beadlocks, which clamp the bead on the wheel, are often used in this case."

hmm i think that is the problem because my rear tires are really bald right now so there might be stresses on the bead and belts, so i guess i better change them now

but the front are quite new tho, well i guess i would have the shop check for me when i get new rear tires thx for the help
Old 08-25-2008, 03:26 AM

2005 C230 Kompressor Sedan
If you want the stock 17" sport wheels wrapped in Michellin Pilot Sport 2's
lemme know.. i have em sitting in the garage.. ill give you a good deal!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:04 AM

2003 C230K Sport 6-speed Sedan
This might be a longshot, but check the the inner wheel for porous metal that doesn't keep the air in and leaks out slowly. I had to replace one wheel that was defective in this way.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
I had a similar problem with the BFGoodrich KDW's that I had previously.

They wouldn't seal well at the bead. If you took off the wheel, laid it on the ground, and brushed soapy water around the bead, you could see it bubble.

The tire shop finally used some 'goop' that they had for just that purpose, and they finally sealed.

Before and after the BFG's I've had Michelins, and they've never had this problem (OEM C7 rims).

It may be as simple as this.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:25 AM

---> me
Old 08-26-2008, 06:38 AM

fleet vehicle
Originally Posted by kirax2

---> me
Yup. It's tire time.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:01 AM