C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Please help! '02 C240 and don't know what to do

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Please help! '02 C240 and don't know what to do

Hi everyone,
I am kind of new here. I know some of the issues that the C class has, but I am wondering if I have bought a problem car. I have a 2002 C240. I bought it from local MB dealer in June with 72,000 miles. Was maintained and was a one owner car. It is overal a beautiful car inside and out. Has 4,000 miles before next service is due. Car drives wonderful and I love the options, BUT its experiencing some of the same issues that I have been reading about.
Its scaring me!!!

Issue 1 Auto transmission
This car is now making a "bang" noise when shifting from park to reverse, but only when I shift it for the first time on a cold start. I will shift it back to park and then again to reverse and sometimes it will bang into gear then sometimes it won't. Can't get it to do that at all after the transmission is warmed up. I also hear a slight "whine" noise from the tunnel area under the cup holder until it warms up then goes away. Shifts good and otherwise is fine.

Issue 2
Noticed the other day when sitting at a traffic light, a slight burnt oil smell. Passed it off as another vehicle in traffic. Then, smelled it again 30 minutes later while driving home when no other cars around. I have never smelled it before and haven't since. No oil on ground either or on underside of car that I can see. Computer oil monitor says its fine, but I get the"measure not correct if vehicle not level" a lot.

Issue 3
Climate control always blows air from the bottom on my feet upon starting the car, no matter what the setting is. Then will switch in a few seconds to what ever setting its on. When its in manual mode and i have Economy on, I have the fan on 3 air starts to blow but fades in and out. Acts like it is trying to blow at a constant speed. I have to turn fan all the way up to 6 and then back to 3 to get it to stop. VERY annoying.

Issue 3
Malfunction display fades when hot outside, (I didn't see it faded when I bought the car). Does the extended warranty cover replacing this?

Issue 4
Rear Window shade works when it wants to

I also got a tail lamp malfunction message the other day but went away when re started car. One time I went to crank car and it didn't start and radio turned off but it started fine when I tried it again. Could battery be going????

I did purchase the top of the line extended warranty. I have an appointment on Monday to take the car in. Can anyone advise what they might tell me? I don't want to get taken by them. I have only had the car 2.5 months.
This isn't what I expected from Mercedes at all even though its a used car. My others were great cars. Its like I am scared to drive the car cause its so fragile. Very Frustrating!!!!!!

Thanks to all who read my post!
Robin
Old 09-06-2008, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 83 Likes on 41 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
Can't help with everything, but here're my thoughts:

Issue 1: Have the dealer check the transmission for glycol. There was a problem with the Valeo radiators in some '02s and '03s, where they would leak coolant into the trans cooler. If you catch it early, it's simple enough to flush the tranny & replace the radiator. If you catch it late . . . new tranny.

Issue 2: I've also had an intermittent burnt oil smell (without problems). Check the valve cover gaskets, as burnt oil is typically oil leaking onto the exhaust somewhere.

Issue 3: This is normal for my car. It probably resets to a 'base mode' when you turn the car off.

Issue 3(b?): Common problem. I don't know about the CPO warranty, but I just live with mine.

Issue 4: Can't help here. Probably a loose wire somewhere at the motor connection.

Mercedes (unfortunately) aren't as trouble-free as Hondas or Toyotas, but even with the problems that I've had, I won't go back. The car is just too comfortable, safe, economical, and nice to trade back down. (I've got 102k miles on mine)
Old 09-07-2008, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
did you read about 2002 C240's before you bought the car ?
I would of went in with all those questions in hand, before I purchased the thing.

if you bought it from the dealer, it must of had some kind of CPO Warranty.
Take it back and have them account for every single one of your complaints you detail above. If their warranty doesn't cover it, then get ready for some big $$$ repair expenditures.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
2003 C320 Sports Coupe
2004.5 C320 Sports Sedan
2005 ML350 Special Edition
2008 smart Passion ForTwo

Coming soon:
mega Mercedes-Benz SoCal Meet - 15 Nov 2008
details to be posted in coming weeks !
Old 09-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
Issue 3 - My car does the same thing only when it gets really hot out side the LCD screen will become all wired looking at hard to read. Same thing happened when i bought my car it was perfectly fine. But when i took it home left it in the sun got inside and was like oh i can't really read the display. So i just leave it on MPH display.

Issue 4 - This issue woot im kinda glad my car was vandalized because i had the rear sunshade up and they broke my back window along with the sunshade.
I would push the button and watch it not move or i would push the button and watch it get stuck.

^^

If you get your car tinted you won't even care about this
Old 09-07-2008, 03:55 PM

Thanks for advice

I appreciate the advice from everyone. Any really reason I should go ahead and change my battery?
I went to drive my car yesterday and from cold start, "bang" from park to reverse. I shifted right back to park, then again to reverse and it did the same thing. Seems harder to pull out of park when it does this.

dmatre--- you are right about the comfort of the cars and it is hard to trade down. I love my car and I enjoy driving it. I wasn't looking for a huge about of power, I wanted convience and comfort, all which this car provides for me.
I did do some reading about the 2002 C240 but what I kept reading was that the 2001 had more issues and some were worked out in the 2002. My car was a one owner, all maintained at the local MB dealer where it was bought brand new and is just beautiful inside and out. I have had two other MB's and they were great cars. One was a 2001 E320 and I had a 1994 E420 that just kept running and was awesome to drive.

With me purchasing the extended warranty, I am hoping I won't have a problem with it covering this. My husband and I are now VIP with the dealer as my husband purchased a new Cadillac 2 years ago from them. SO...I think they should do something to help me.
I just think they will try to pull some crap on me saying that particular things aren't covered...and I don't want to get taken. I believe we have been good customers for them.
Oh well, I will find out the results tomorrow. Been worrying me all weekend!
Thanks
Robin
Old 09-07-2008, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport
Originally Posted by krisv420
Issue 3 - My car does the same thing only when it gets really hot out side the LCD screen will become all wired looking at hard to read. Same thing happened when i bought my car it was perfectly fine. But when i took it home left it in the sun got inside and was like oh i can't really read the display. So i just leave it on MPH display.

Issue 4 - This issue woot im kinda glad my car was vandalized because i had the rear sunshade up and they broke my back window along with the sunshade.
I would push the button and watch it not move or i would push the button and watch it get stuck.

^^

If you get your car tinted you won't even care about this

My 04' C230K had the same problem with the LCD not being readable. I took it into the dealership, and they replaced my gauge cluster under warranty. My car has a 100,000 mile CPO warranty though.

Definitely have yours checked out. They were very helpful about mine...

My climate control had the same issue. It would ALWAYS want to blow hot, when in the "vent" mode (IE A/C off). I had them fix it, and they said a stepper motor was bad.

Had quite a few issues fixed under warranty not too long ago. They only thing they charged me for was fixing my sunroof. It'd get stuck, and the "click" feature of the auto-close function button wouldn't work. That was like $145 in labor to fix.

All in all though, I really like this car. I get compliments on it everywhere I go.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by Robinbird
I appreciate the advice from everyone. Any really reason I should go ahead and change my battery?
I went to drive my car yesterday and from cold start, "bang" from park to reverse. I shifted right back to park, then again to reverse and it did the same thing. Seems harder to pull out of park when it does this.

dmatre--- you are right about the comfort of the cars and it is hard to trade down. I love my car and I enjoy driving it. I wasn't looking for a huge about of power, I wanted convience and comfort, all which this car provides for me.
I did do some reading about the 2002 C240 but what I kept reading was that the 2001 had more issues and some were worked out in the 2002. My car was a one owner, all maintained at the local MB dealer where it was bought brand new and is just beautiful inside and out. I have had two other MB's and they were great cars. One was a 2001 E320 and I had a 1994 E420 that just kept running and was awesome to drive.

With me purchasing the extended warranty, I am hoping I won't have a problem with it covering this. My husband and I are now VIP with the dealer as my husband purchased a new Cadillac 2 years ago from them. SO...I think they should do something to help me.
I just think they will try to pull some crap on me saying that particular things aren't covered...and I don't want to get taken. I believe we have been good customers for them.
Oh well, I will find out the results tomorrow. Been worrying me all weekend!
Thanks
Robin
Transmission

- Dmatre is correct. Radiator leak possibility needs checking - this was an issue in North America

- Another thing that can cause a bang is a damaged flex plate

- And, more common than you might think - low fluid level or a partially blocked transmission filter. Both cause low oil pressure problems when cold and the pressure suddenly rises causing a bang. Does not do this when hot due lower oil viscosity.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 C320
Issue 3
Climate control always blows air from the bottom on my feet upon starting the car, no matter what the setting is. Then will switch in a few seconds to what ever setting its on. When its in manual mode and i have Economy on, I have the fan on 3 air starts to blow but fades in and out. Acts like it is trying to blow at a constant speed. I have to turn fan all the way up to 6 and then back to 3 to get it to stop. VERY annoying.

Issue 3
Malfunction display fades when hot outside, (I didn't see it faded when I bought the car). Does the extended warranty cover replacing this?
First Issue 3 - Probably a stepper motor or flap controls. This is a common problem with these models (so I read). I have somewhat the same problem with mine, but I don't really mind.

Second Issue 3 - Mine too does this across the very top of the screen, there is like a line out or something. Usually it will go back to normal. Again, from what I read, a common problem on these cars. If you have a Full Warranty, I would def. go get these things checked out.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

BTW My C240 is a late 2003 South African build and I have had zero problems under warrantee apart from a leak on the transmission drain plug requiring a 5 cent washer. And I am a fussy, **** Virgo
Old 09-08-2008, 06:51 PM

Unhappy Update: Got some info from the dealer today on my car!!!!!

Hi,
Thank you all who responded...the help was greatly appreciated. Here is what I know so far!!!

Display is common problem on those cars and they are going to replace it under pre owned warranty no cost to me! Great!

Climate control problem they told me was the blower regulator. That issue was supposed to be addressed before I bought the car. I mentioned that the air always blew out of the floor vents and I remember my salesman saying it would be fixed. I remember he called me about two hours later and told me the car was ready to be picked up, that they found nothing and all was normal on the car. I asked to be sure and he assured me it was fine. NOW...they look again and the verdict was the blower reg. My advisor told me to contact the salesman and remind him of this and the sales manager.(which is the owner's son) because the regulator isn't covered under my warranty. I was upset because shouldn't the advisor contact them for the customer? I have left a voicemail for both and of course no return call to me! I am very frustrated because I think they will come back and say that it could have broken sometime during the two months I have the car and they won't cover it.

They couldn't duplicate the problem with the bang in the transmission. They wanted to keep it overnight and crank it first thing in the morning. I told them it made the noise when I cranked it to bring it down there. Seems as the shifter knob is harder to move out of park to reverse when it made the noise this morning. So, we will wait to find this one out.

Looks like the gear selector cover is broken and now wont stay seated on the geat shifter (noticed this on the way to the dealer)....also not covered under my warranty.
Still waiting to hear on the others. Looks like the new Honda Accord they gave me to drive is sounding pretty good right now. I hope all goes well, but looks like I am going to have to fight with the salesman and his manager to get my climate control fixed. This dealer is so large, they sell 7 different brands of cars. They should do something to help me!
Old 09-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,
Thank you all who responded...the help was greatly appreciated. Here is what I know so far!!!

Display is common problem on those cars and they are going to replace it under pre owned warranty no cost to me! Great!

Climate control problem they told me was the blower regulator. That issue was supposed to be addressed before I bought the car. I mentioned that the air always blew out of the floor vents and I remember my salesman saying it would be fixed. I remember he called me about two hours later and told me the car was ready to be picked up, that they found nothing and all was normal on the car. I asked to be sure and he assured me it was fine. NOW...they look again and the verdict was the blower reg. My advisor told me to contact the salesman and remind him of this and the sales manager.(which is the owner's son) because the regulator isn't covered under my warranty. I was upset because shouldn't the advisor contact them for the customer? I have left a voicemail for both and of course no return call to me! I am very frustrated because I think they will come back and say that it could have broken sometime during the two months I have the car and they won't cover it.

They couldn't duplicate the problem with the bang in the transmission. They wanted to keep it overnight and crank it first thing in the morning. I told them it made the noise when I cranked it to bring it down there. Seems as the shifter knob is harder to move out of park to reverse when it made the noise this morning. So, we will wait to find this one out.

Looks like the gear selector cover is broken and now wont stay seated on the geat shifter (noticed this on the way to the dealer)....also not covered under my warranty.
Still waiting to hear on the others. Looks like the new Honda Accord they gave me to drive is sounding pretty good right now. I hope all goes well, but looks like I am going to have to fight with the salesman and his manager to get my climate control fixed. This dealer is so large, they sell 7 different brands of cars. They should do something to help me!
Be hard on them. Many dealers suffer "selective memory" Presume the transmission was warm when thet checked it?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
08 E350 4MATIC
Doesn't the climate control system open the footwell flaps upon startup for up to :30 to negate windshield fogging?