C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

RENNtech pulley kit 550$ :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
They don't really tell you enough. Eddy current units are great & accurate - but what they need is a small cooling tower on the roof or wherever so that they can control inlet air temperature. They don't talk about this.

The warmer the inlet air the less the power.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
03 W203, 13 E350, 13 W204, 14 C218
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
They don't really tell you enough. Eddy current units are great & accurate - but what they need is a small cooling tower on the roof or wherever so that they can control inlet air temperature. They don't talk about this.

The warmer the inlet air the less the power.
Hmmm interesting...now regretting the purchase because basically it sounds like wont find a Dyno worthy of a "Real" test and thats the reason for me doing this...for a "Real" test.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by paypaboi
Hmmm interesting...now regretting the purchase because basically it sounds like wont find a Dyno worthy of a "Real" test and thats the reason for me doing this...for a "Real" test.
I'm sure you will find a suitable Dyno. Go & talk to the guys. Just don't let them BS you. Is there not an institute of learning with a dyno somewhere in the area. I'm sure that they would love a project like this.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor
Making more power will require more fuel if the original fuel and spark map was optimal for the original mods compared to the new mods having a new optimal fuel and spark map. 14.7:1 is whats class room textbook optimal but in the real world you will melt the engine down that lean especially in a boosted application. N/A engines make the best power at 13:1-13.7:1 A/F and boosted engines around 11.7-12.4:1 in a general "rule of thumb" bases, anything leaner than that may bring very small amounts of additional power but also bring along lots of less durability. The harder you run your horse the faster it will die is still a valid statement. Anytime you can change pullies out to spin the supercharger faster will increase boost and more power but there is a break over point on that idea. A given size supercharger can only be spun so fast until it starts heating up the air too much for optimal power production of said amount of boost. The factory fuel maps can handle only so much additional boost and after that point it will run too lean for optimal results so a ecu reflash is required for optimal power and reliabilty.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by VelociRaptor
Making more power will require more fuel if the original fuel and spark map was optimal for the original mods compared to the new mods having a new optimal fuel and spark map. 14.7:1 is whats class room textbook optimal but in the real world you will melt the engine down that lean especially in a boosted application. N/A engines make the best power at 13:1-13.7:1 A/F and boosted engines around 11.7-12.4:1 in a general "rule of thumb" bases, anything leaner than that may bring very small amounts of additional power but also bring along lots of less durability. The harder you run your horse the faster it will die is still a valid statement. Anytime you can change pullies out to spin the supercharger faster will increase boost and more power but there is a break over point on that idea. A given size supercharger can only be spun so fast until it starts heating up the air too much for optimal power production of said amount of boost. The factory fuel maps can handle only so much additional boost and after that point it will run too lean for optimal results so a ecu reflash is required for optimal power and reliabilty.
I am interested in your post. I come from the oil industry and have racing experience. We have run many modern lean burn engines at 14.7 to 1 and leaner with excellent performance, temperature control & durability so I was talking from my experience - not text books. Frequently find tuned engines very happy at about 14.1 to 1 (not blown)

I'm very interested in your experience. Are the AF ratios you quote above and your comments based directly on MB Kompressor engines - Do they not like running lean? I know that they have sensitive cylinder heads but problems in that regard have generally been explained by them requiring 95 Octane Eurograde fuel. (Narrow distillation curve)

Do you consider your comments accurate in the lean burn era (leaner burn - I'm not talking way off stoichiometric - not 22 to 1 area)

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-27-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203
Being right does not make what you did right - unless you have zero principles
Unless I'm mistaken, this should be in the classifieds section, then I'd be free to make my own thread to sell rather than post in his thread. Since its not, its in the W203 section, its open to discussion. If you don't like my post, there is an ignore button, yet what I did certainly is not wrong.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:39 PM

W203
Originally Posted by ROLLNNN
actually no i don't work on cars i pay people to do that... you need a job??? and yeah i'm sure you didn't want to write "silly," so hopefully you make it out to the show on the 11/15 and maybe you can say what you really wanted to... ill be at the DJ equipment most of the time and my name is Roland, why dont you come up and ask for me..
So you're a stuck up idiot who thinks cause he can afford to pay someone to work on his C-class you're better than someone with the actual mechanical know-how to do it himself.

Get your pretty manicured hands off the DJ equipment and try turning a wrench.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:43 PM

W203
I wouldn't waste your money on a dyno.

The gains are all in the low end, and you'll feel that instantly when you hammer the gas for the first time.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:45 PM

W203
Originally Posted by FrankW
ECU tune gets you slightly better mpg because it leans out the fuel maps where it's not needed.
And likewise a pulley without an ECU tune will use more gas.

Pulley == more air == higher AFR == ECU compensates by dumping more fuel
Old 10-27-2008, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by amanonfire
So you're a stuck up idiot who thinks cause he can afford to pay someone to work on his C-class you're better than someone with the actual mechanical know-how to do it himself.

Get your pretty manicured hands off the DJ equipment and try turning a wrench.
first you tell us that all w203 owners are "cheap," then when a w203 owner pays someone to work on his car, hes a "stuck up idiot????" wait who's the idiot?? no point in discussing here, it'll just go on and that's just a waste of time and forum space... like i said before, come find me at the meet, you can do alot of talking here cant you??? seriously though, id really love to hear what you have to say, im not dj'ing at the event, a friend of mine is, so ill have plenty of free time to discuss stuff.... that's it, don't say anything more, we dont need to bother everyone else on this forum with useless talk. Just show up and talk to me there. if you want to talk before that im available every weekend.

like i said before why do i need to work on my own car, when i can pay someone to do it... im not a mechanic, and i dont claim to be. for someone who thinks he knows everything about cars you sure dont know shiet...
Old 10-27-2008, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
come on guys, can't we all get along! it's really pointless arguing on the internet..
Old 10-27-2008, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i emailed Renntech last week about this pulley kit, they got back to me this morning. Let me know what you think.

this is part of the email i sent:
re:2005 C230 Kompressor, chassis:W203, engine:m271
I hear there is a 10-15 hp gain between 2-4k, 5hp 5k and up. Are these numbers correct or close to the truth? I also wanted to know if it effects the mpg and if you have numbers on that.

the reply i got:

"I hear there is a 10-15 hp gain between 2-4k, 5hp 5k and up." That seems about right, you might also get a little better mileage at cruising (2 )
Will have more torque at lower rpm.
It works well.

not really a definite answer on anything...

look amanonfire, look what Renntech themselves wrote: "you might also get a little better mileage at cruising"

feel free to email them yourself...

so i guess me asking the question here in the forum, was a good question right?? yeah youre right it was a silly question, since they claim it does and you don't, you must be right and we should just take your word for it.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mu9enx
come on guys, can't we all get along! it's really pointless arguing on the internet..
haha.. youre right Tommy, my bad... i apologize to everyone on this forum. but if someone comes out talking ish to me, they better be able to back themselves up.... Thats straight up.

when a question is asked on this forum most people come with a suitable answer and tell you the reasoning behind their answer, but this guy just comes out and clowns the question... whats up with that???

but again you're right... no more words from me...
Old 10-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mu9enx
+1 Mu
Old 10-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
wow... did no one buy these yet? This is a great deal.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
03 W203, 13 E350, 13 W204, 14 C218
Originally Posted by TruTaing
wow... did no one buy these yet? This is a great deal.
I did but I don't want it now because I was just getting it to do dynos for the form so everyone would quit arguing about it but now people are saying that its not worth the money to dyno and that its hard to find a sophisticated enough dyno so i told big rat and he said i put him in a hard position because i sent the money at like 3am this morning and by 345 i sent him the e-mail saying i didnt want it because everyone started replying about not getting good dynos and not being worth dyno testing it but its a good performance part. but he says i put him in a hard spot because someone wanted to buy it and he said it was sold even though the money is still unclaimed on paypal so i told him if this is his HONEST story then i guess i will take it but really have no use considering my car is slammed now and i dont speed cuz i like my front bumper haha. so if u want it let him now. the item hasn't been shipped and my money is still unclaimed.

I am not calling him a liar i just feel the possibility of me buying and item at 3am and someone else at the same time and him being on within that 45 minute time span to tell the other person that it is sold all while not participating in the forum where we were going back in forth during that 45min and not replying sold in the forum is a little fishy...but if im right i think he is a soldier and i told him i know he has integrity so im assuming hes not lying about this incident

Im talking to him through PM's right now he's a cool dude! So I doubt this is the case..

Last edited by paypaboi; 10-27-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:29 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor
I am interested in your post. I come from the oil industry and have racing experience. We have run many modern lean burn engines at 14.7 to 1 and leaner with excellent performance, temperature control & durability so I was talking from my experience - not text books. Frequently find tuned engines very happy at about 14.1 to 1 (not blown)

I'm very interested in your experience. Are the AF ratios you quote above and your comments based directly on MB Kompressor engines - Do they not like running lean? I know that they have sensitive cylinder heads but problems in that regard have generally been explained by them requiring 95 Octane Eurograde fuel. (Narrow distillation curve)

Do you consider your comments accurate in the lean burn era (leaner burn - I'm not talking way off stoichiometric - not 22 to 1 area)
Is the m271 a lean burn engine? Ive never tuned a MB so thats why my first post on this website was about tuning. Ive dynoed many american and some import cars N/A and boosted and they lay about were I said on were they "liked" thier A/F ratio.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:49 PM

W203
i emailed Renntech last week about this pulley kit, they got back to me this morning. Let me know what you think.

this is part of the email i sent:
re:2005 C230 Kompressor, chassis:W203, engine:m271
I hear there is a 10-15 hp gain between 2-4k, 5hp 5k and up. Are these numbers correct or close to the truth? I also wanted to know if it effects the mpg and if you have numbers on that.

the reply i got:

"I hear there is a 10-15 hp gain between 2-4k, 5hp 5k and up." That seems about right, you might also get a little better mileage at cruising (2 )
Will have more torque at lower rpm.
It works well.

not really a definite answer on anything...

look amanonfire, look what Renntech themselves wrote: "you might also get a little better mileage at cruising"

feel free to email them yourself...

so i guess me asking the question here in the forum, was a good question right?? yeah youre right it was a silly question, since they claim it does and you don't, you must be right and we should just take your word for it.
I had the pulley installed on my car.
Renntech said it "might". I can tell you, it doesn't.

My word > yours.

The only one who's "clowning" is you, and that's "straight up".
Old 10-27-2008, 05:52 PM

W203
like i said before why do i need to work on my own car, when i can pay someone to do it... im not a mechanic, and i dont claim to be. for someone who thinks he knows everything about cars you sure dont know shiet...
You don't work on your car, you don't want to learn, yet you're complaining when someone who does and is informed on their car knows more than you and points it out.

Pay someone to post for you too, then maybe we'll get some informed posts.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You don't work on your car, you don't want to learn, yet you're complaining when someone who does and is informed on their car knows more than you and points it out.

i said it once, and ill say it again, please represent at the MB so cal mega meet

Old 10-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

You don't have to have a baby to be a competent gynaecologist !!!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I did but I don't want it now because I was just getting it to do dynos for the form so everyone would quit arguing about it but now people are saying that its not worth the money to dyno and that its hard to find a sophisticated enough dyno so i told big rat and he said i put him in a hard position because i sent the money at like 3am this morning and by 345 i sent him the e-mail saying i didnt want it because everyone started replying about not getting good dynos and not being worth dyno testing it but its a good performance part. but he says i put him in a hard spot because someone wanted to buy it and he said it was sold even though the money is still unclaimed on paypal so i told him if this is his HONEST story then i guess i will take it but really have no use considering my car is slammed now and i dont speed cuz i like my front bumper haha. so if u want it let him now. the item hasn't been shipped and my money is still unclaimed.

I am not calling him a liar i just feel the possibility of me buying and item at 3am and someone else at the same time and him being on within that 45 minute time span to tell the other person that it is sold all while not participating in the forum where we were going back in forth during that 45min and not replying sold in the forum is a little fishy...but if im right i think he is a soldier and i told him i know he has integrity so im assuming hes not lying about this incident

Im talking to him through PM's right now he's a cool dude! So I doubt this is the case..
If you do decide to keep it, who are you planning on taking it to for the install??
Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by VelociRaptor
Is the m271 a lean burn engine? Ive never tuned a MB so thats why my first post on this website was about tuning. Ive dynoed many american and some import cars N/A and boosted and they lay about were I said on were they "liked" thier A/F ratio.
A heavily modded C32 that I had on a Schenk eddy current unit a couple of years back, with a decent cooling tower to control inlet air temp & a self calibrating broad range O2 sensor gave us the best power & torque curves with an AF ratio that was at about 14.2/1 up to 3500RPM & virtually flat at 13/1 all the way up to peak with final drop off at about 6300 where we went rich for safety - This vehicle was obviously blown.

The M271 is supposed to run at the lean end of stoichiometric - I will see if I can find some graphs. So it runs in the lean area. I'm not talking Toyota/Honda lean burn that run at 22/1 at low RPM coming closer to stoichiometric at high RPM (stratified charge)

Large American engines seem to like more fuel thrown at them to produce power.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:02 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
I was close to grabbing the pulley. A set of Kleemann headers came up on the forums from someone local and that took priority. I should be grabbing it this weekend. I very excite!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:19 PM

W203
You don't have to have a baby to be a competent gynaecologist !!!
Yes, yet you have to do more than f*** the mother!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RENNtech pulley kit 550$ :(