C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

More Info on KLEEMANN K23 Tunning Kit Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 02:28 PM
gab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Info on KLEEMANN K23 Tunning Kit Needed

Can Mr.Vanos or Kleemann or anyone give us more info on the K23 tunning kit?

Kit content?
pulley size?
how hard to install?
Old 01-17-2002, 06:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

KLEEMANN C23 boost kit

The KLEEMANN boost kit uses an alloy pulley that is 20% larger than stock. This pulley is an entire unit- not just a bolt on ring like some others. The add on ring actually increases the mass of the crank pulley.The KLEEMANN alloy pulley is 5 lbs lighter than the original. An alternator pulley is also included. The alternator pulley is 20% larger than stock. This keeps the drive ratio as stock. A new drive belt of the proper length is also included. Four BOSCH spark plugs of a colder heat range are also included.

The Kompressor on the factory 2.3 engine is a ROOTS type. The faster you spin a roots the hotter the discharge air becomes. This relationship of speed to heat is non-linear. Example: the heat @ 5psi might be 120F while the temp @ 10psi might be 290F. The drive power requirement is also non-linear in relation to speed. This is the fundamental reason why a 20% larger pulley does not give a 20% increase in power.

The peak output increase is impressive, but even more so is the increase through the mid-range. The increase in torque through the mid range is higher than the peak hp increase. The engine is much more responsive in the speed range that you usually use it.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Is kleeman have the kit for c 200 kompressor sedan?
Old 01-17-2002, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KLEEMAN, what do you charge for installation? Do you have any plans for larger and more efficient intercooler and plumbing?
Old 01-17-2002, 08:17 PM
gab

how many psi is it running?

how many labor hours is required?

is there like a kleemann catalogue with price info? i'm interested in the brake upgrades too
Old 01-17-2002, 11:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

KLEEMANN Boost Kit

The KLEEMANN Boost Kit requires about 2 hours to install, longer for the pre-summer 99 models. KLEEMANN does have a Boost Kit for the 2.0 liter engine. KLEEMANN USA Inc will charge between $150 and $250 for installation depending on model year.

KLEEMANN's own Kompressor systems utilize a water to air intercooler core that is quite unique. The problem is retro fitting it to another system. The standard MBZ kompressor engine uses an air to air intercooler. To make this IC more efficient is to make it larger. KLEEMANN will persue this issue.

If anyone is interested in KLEEMANN catalogs please provide your mailing address and I will see that you get whatever information you need. You may also contact EvoSport or view their website. EvoSport is an authorized KLEEMANN dealer and can provide comprehensive product information.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

KLEEMANN Boost Kit

The KLEEMANN Boost Kit increases boost by a nominal 2.5 psi.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:25 AM
gab

2 hr of install only?

John of Conversion Techniques of Oakland (sole Kleemann dealer in nor cal) quote me for 6hrs of install did you pass the wrong information to them Mr.Kleemann??

I think many people from norcal will be interested in the upgrade if an local authorized dealers can do it nice and cheap
Old 01-18-2002, 07:39 AM
Almost a Member!

HOw much is the upgrade kit for c 200 kompressor sedan?
is it available in australia? or if shipped how much?
will it shorten the engine life?
and last question..how much power increase i could expect
Old 01-18-2002, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W203 Boost Kit 2.3 & 2.0

The boost Kit for the 2.0 liter engine will provide 200 hp and 280 nm of tourque. The price is the same for either the 2.0 or 2.3 system. Shipping to Australia is no problem. Luckily the Boost Kit is relatively small and light so shipping shouldnt wind up being more than the part! I would need to know an exact ship to address to accurately quote.

2 to 3 hours is a typical installation time for the LATE style Boost Kit. The EARLY (pre summer 99) system can require up to six hours to install- there is far more to do (relocate the MAF). Conversiaon Techniques is a highly reputable shop and I dont think John would be quoting excessive install times. Be sure they know the EXACT build date of your vehicle to be sure you are being quoted correctly.
Old 01-19-2002, 06:31 AM
Almost a Member!

my address is melbourne, victoria, could you qoute the price of the kit including the shipping...(for c200 kompressor kit)
is it come with installation instruction?
also will it affect engine life?
Old 01-24-2002, 05:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C200 boost kit

I will need a more complete address than what you provided. The FedEx system we use requires a postal code and street address.

The increase in boost will not have a significant long term effect on your engine. There are many variables in this equation: driving style, ambient conditions, and maint sched. In the worst possible scenario you might expect an engine that would normally last 200K to go 190K, it is impossible to predict the random nature of unrelated component failures.

Instructions are included.
Old 01-24-2002, 08:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Hi, do you mind if i send my details to your emails?
btw what is your email.....? hehe
Old 01-24-2002, 08:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can email any member of the forum (if enabled) by clicking email at the bottom of their message.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do you have a dyno chart on the Kleeman pulley upgrade? Also why is the Kleeman pulley kit for the BMW's half the price of the MB kits?
Old 01-31-2002, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Buellwinkel, they charge by the horsepower. The BMW kits are good for 12 hp and the C230k kit is good for 38 hp.
Old 02-01-2002, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
How about WARRANTY???

What happens to the Manufacturer's WARRANTY after i install this unit on my c230?? Is my Warranty VOID if anything goes wrong with the engine? Is it easy to replace the old unit without the dealer finding out??

Thanks....
Old 02-01-2002, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Surprisingly the warranttee is not necessarely void. The burden of proof would be on them to prove that your modification caused the break down. For example if the motor siezes, can they prove that the additional boost caused the engine to sieze? What if the oil pump broke and that was not related to the pulley. They would have to take it apart and determine what caused the problem and prove that the additional boost caused the oil pump to break. I would imagine that chipping the car would put it more at risk since they can alter the redline cutoff and other engine control functions and the engine might have siezed as a result of overreving. It's tricky but I've heard of people putting in NO2 in their cars, causing damage to their motors and then pulling the kit off, taking it to the dealer and they covered it. The pulley is replaceable back to stock for nothing, the chip, once it's de-soldered and put back in is pretty obvious. Personally I wouldn't worry about it on the 2.3 as this probably MBs most reliable motor right now.

I wonder if we can do a group buy with Kleeman for the kit, or just go to a CNC machine shop and have them make pullies 20% larger like Kleeman did. It will likely cost 1/4th of what Kleeman charges. Obviously they make BMW pulley kits that are the similar to the MB and they cost less than half. I still don't know why did Kleeman choose to put a larger crankcase pulley vs. a small supercharger pulley? Is this because the older 2.3K motors had a clutch on the supercharger and it was easier to make the crankcase pulley?
Old 02-03-2002, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
<snip>... I still don't know why did Kleeman choose to put a larger crankcase pulley vs. a small supercharger pulley? Is this because the older 2.3K motors had a clutch on the supercharger and it was easier to make the crankcase pulley?
Another reason that seems rather sound is that a smaller slave pulley may cause belt slippage due to reduced contact area and increased curvature, which means that a higher tension force is required to spin the supercharger shaft.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:38 PM

C230K
K23 kit plus Upsolute chip?

Basically, it appears to me from all the posts that it is a good idea to install the Kleemann's boost kit for the C230K, but not a good idea to install the boost kit and chip it? How about the boost kit then do an aftermarket exhaust system?
Old 02-07-2002, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: K23 kit plus Upsolute chip?

Originally posted by Christo
Basically, it appears to me from all the posts that it is a good idea to install the Kleemann's boost kit for the C230K, but not a good idea to install the boost kit and chip it? How about the boost kit then do an aftermarket exhaust system?
I don't see that in the posts. Some of the pulley kits that are available include a chip, and some don't. Renntech has kits with and without a chip.

An aftermarket exhaust system won't yield the results that either a pulley kit or a chip will produce. Even with a header, a low restriction cat, and a low restriction exhaust, you will probably see less than 10 hp.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:09 PM

KLEEMANN C230K
The stock exhaust performs as good, or better than aftermarket. The main benefit of aftermarket is sound.

I know I've said a hundred times not to play with the chip, but I may give it a try, I can change it back. My roommate's chipping and adding a pulley to a W203 C230K...Now I have to do it.......

Jealousy's a b!tch.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by dj-po
The stock exhaust performs as good, or better than aftermarket. The main benefit of aftermarket is sound.
How do you know? Any data to substantiate?
Old 02-08-2002, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Like any other performance mod, someone has to make the first move and have it dynoed. I would imagine that when you increase the intake pressure with a pulley it's going to create a bigger bottleneck at the exhaust. So an exhaust without the pulley may not buy you as much as with the pulley. My guess is that you'll eek out an extra 10hp. If I remember correctly it was Renncpe that did both the pulley and exhaust and he showed 185 hp at the rear wheel and had 159 hp before. Since Renntech claims 15 hp from the pulley I would imagine the other 11 hp came from the exhaust (I don't know what he meant by exhaust (muffler only, cat back, headers, etc..). Add a K&N filter (when it's available) and an Upsolute chip to that mix and over 200 hp at the rear wheel should be attainable. Then comes the NO2 for a shot at beating out a C32!
Old 02-08-2002, 01:51 PM

KLEEMANN C230K
Vadim,

To answer your question, exactly, no. I have no "data" to prove it.
All I have to offer is DOZENS of testimonials/statements from experts*, who state the AMG exhaust provided w/ the vehicle is nearly the least restrictive system made. I know, I know, there is always an exception to the rule, BUT, for the most part this is true.

I am getting an aftermarket exhaust, but only because I want a different tone and look. If it makes more HP w/ the pulley than w/out, then BONUS!!!

Just a side point, I am not an expert, I am new to MB tuning, and I DO make mistakes. But, I do not make claims/statements that I don't believe will help someone, either save time, money or aggrevation.

Thank you,

John

*Tuners and Retailers in the business of dealing w/ MB cars

Last edited by dj-po; 02-08-2002 at 01:53 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: More Info on KLEEMANN K23 Tunning Kit Needed