E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

All wheel drive advantages?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 02:38 AM

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
E300
All wheel drive advantages?

I see that the 2025 E350 will be offered in 2 wheel drive as well as 4 wheel. Besides being good for slippery roads, snow, mud, etc. are there any other advantages of the 4 wd? What about disadvantages (besides the price difference)? I'm in California and am not concerned about things like snow and ice. I'm trying to decide if there's any reason to get 4 wd.

I'm also still wrestling with the engine issue-is the E 350 subject to the same problem as previous E 300s--a piston dropping into the engine and destroying it? I like the 4 cylinder engine for initial cost and gas mileage and am OK with the acceleration and noise/sound so that would be my preference...as long as the piston problem has been resolved.

Old 06-24-2024, 07:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,396 Likes on 2,043 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by Tiburonsteve
I see that the 2025 E350 will be offered in 2 wheel drive as well as 4 wheel. Besides being good for slippery roads, snow, mud, etc. are there any other advantages of the 4 wd? What about disadvantages (besides the price difference)? I'm in California and am not concerned about things like snow and ice. I'm trying to decide if there's any reason to get 4 wd.

I'm also still wrestling with the engine issue-is the E 350 subject to the same problem as previous E 300s--a piston dropping into the engine and destroying it? I like the 4 cylinder engine for initial cost and gas mileage and am OK with the acceleration and noise/sound so that would be my preference...as long as the piston problem has been resolved.
Besides the advantages you mentioned:

AWD is NOT a replacement for quality snow tires (for those who live in the snow belt, not talking about you OP)

Advantages I could think of:
Minimal slip if flooring it at the line, generally quicker.

Disadvantages (especially for those who live where it isn't needed):
Poor fuel economy
Increased weight of the vehicle
Weight increase might decrease tire life
Well there is the higher upfront cost

As for the 4 vs 6:
The inline 6 might be more efficient at lower RPMs this is because if you are given the same task, the inline 6 doesn't require much effort to do it and it is not in as much stress, while the four cylinder needs to work way harder. (Especially if you are passing on the highway)
The inline 6 is a much smoother and luxurious experience in general, and it sounds better (if you are into that type of thing).
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (06-26-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 07:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,396 Likes on 2,043 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Edited to add: The inline 4 is maybe more susceptible to LSPI and the inline 6 never have any cases whatsoever of the piston issue you mentioned.

IMHO, an E-Class deserves an line 6, at this tier and price point.
M. Schneider (06-26-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 955 Likes on 731 Posts
G550
There are many opportunities to encounter snow and ice even in sunny CA. If you trade-up vehicles every couple years, I think an AWD will hold its value and have broader appeal than a RWD.
Old 06-24-2024, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 432 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by streborx
There are many opportunities to encounter snow and ice even in sunny CA. If you trade-up vehicles every couple years, I think an AWD will hold its value and have broader appeal than a RWD.
Yes and No: The AWD will be worth more than a RWD: but like accessories, which after time add little to no value to a car, depreciation on the extra cost of AWD will be greater than the overall depreciation of the car.

In other words over time the difference in resale value between an AWD and RWD, will diminish.
Old 06-24-2024, 10:46 AM

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2022 C300 AMG-Line; 2020 E450; 2013 SLK350
Originally Posted by Tiburonsteve

I am a Cali native altho now live in the mid-Atlantic. I will always choose an AWD over a RWD unless the car is designed for a sporty ride, in that case, a RWD (with happy rears) may be a tad more fun than one where all 4 feet are firmly planted... the E is anything but sporty, hence my rec is to get a 4MATIC of whatever model you want. Sure you get slightly lower MPG, but who buys an $80K car to worry about paying an extra $20/fill-up? As for the engine, the inline-6 is the better option on a mid-size/large sedan like the E. It offers the best of all worlds, and should I say a darn good MPG average as well.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by JTK44
Yes and No: The AWD will be worth more than a RWD: but like accessories, which after time add little to no value to a car, depreciation on the extra cost of AWD will be greater than the overall depreciation of the car.

In other words over time the difference in resale value between an AWD and RWD, will diminish.
Yes -- that's why I qualified my opinion with "if your trade-up every couple years". Indeed, all vehicles eventually asymptote to junk value, as you say.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,792 Likes on 2,535 Posts
2019 C63CS
AWD will give you better traction in the rain here in California, especially at the beginning of the rainy season when all the oil on the road mixes with the water, and if you head to the mountains in the winter, then it will help with traction in the snow. However, as said above, AWD is no substitution for proper tires. AWD doesn't help you stop, so if you are sliding off the road, AWD will not help you. AWD also will not help with aquaplaning, so always make sure you have enough tread depth left going into the wet winter months.

As for RWD, the thing to understand is that the E350 has an open differential in the rear. The issue with open differentials is that if one wheel spins, the other wheel gets little to no torque. To combat this, the ESP/TC in these cars uses the brakes to slow down the spinning wheel in order to send torque to the wheel with traction and it will also likely cut engine power to try to regain traction. This is particularly problematic if you need to pull out from a side street and turn into a heavily trafficked road. ESP/TC tends to stop you dead in the track in those situations. I used to drive regular BMW models, and this was the most annoying issue about RWD with open differentials. When it was raining I always had to wait for a big enough window to be able to pull out.

The solution to this is a limited slip differential. An LSD will mechanically lock when one wheel slips in order to force torque to the other wheel. Modern LSDs are electronic. They use a clutch pack inside of the differential and algorithms to lock the differential as needed. However, you will mostly find LSDs and eLSDS in high performance RWD cars only, such as the AMG 63 models.

After my BMWs, I had a few Audis and they were unstoppable during the wet winters here in NorCal. While other cars were spinning their wheels when the light turned green, I just took off with no issues. I will always opt for RWD if equipped with an LSD/eLSD, but otherwise AWD or FWD is the better choice.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-24-2024 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Excellent point about fluid residue on the highways. Many folks can't figure out why they're slip-sliding away on a wet surface. Rain on top of oil will do it.
Old 06-24-2024, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 628 Posts
In Florida we have similar issues with wet oily roads during the 6 month rainy season. There seems to be a lot of unmaintained clunkers blowing oil out of the tailpipe or dripping oil and other fluids on the road. Years ago we had annual auto inspections, but that era is long gone because there were too many inspection failures.
Old 06-24-2024, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by Povitica3
I am a Cali native altho now live in the mid-Atlantic. I will always choose an AWD over a RWD unless the car is designed for a sporty ride, in that case, a RWD (with happy rears) may be a tad more fun than one where all 4 feet are firmly planted... the E is anything but sporty, hence my rec is to get a 4MATIC of whatever model you want. Sure you get slightly lower MPG, but who buys an $80K car to worry about paying an extra $20/fill-up? As for the engine, the inline-6 is the better option on a mid-size/large sedan like the E. It offers the best of all worlds, and should I say a darn good MPG average as well.
Just my $.02 and observation:

The Mercedes is AWD, rear wheel bias. 95% of the time, a Mercedes AWD is in fact a Mercedes RWD. Only when the "computers" sense a loss of traction in the rear, does a portion of the power go to the front wheel. All other times, it is RWD.

I have a Ford Edge Sport that is AWD, front wheel bias.. It was also available in FWD. In my gauge cluster you can see when it is FWD and AWD. Today coming home on the LIE at 65 mph, it was 100% FWD. I gave it some gas to accelerate to 75 MPH. Still FWD. When I accelerate from a stop sign, it is 80% FWD and 20% RWD. But once I achieve my cruising speed it is 100% FWD.

The Mercedes AWD system works is basically the same manner.
Kejad (06-25-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 03:45 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 E350W4
I'm Staying with AWD. We have a 2010 BMW 135i (RWD) dand have tried to use it in snow - no way - requires a lot of fancy driving and pretty unsafe. Also had a 2014 E350 AWD and we always used it in snow and passed many other cars pulled over because of snow. Never had to use any fancy driving techniques either. Seems to work, at least in Pittsburgh snow. Now have a 2021 E350 AWD. I'll be sticking with AWD/4WD, althought I might switch our of Mercedes due to the use of screen/touchbuttons instead of mechanical.
Old 06-24-2024, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Holtgraver
I'm Staying with AWD. We have a 2010 BMW 135i (RWD) dand have tried to use it in snow - no way - requires a lot of fancy driving and pretty unsafe. Also had a 2014 E350 AWD and we always used it in snow and passed many other cars pulled over because of snow. Never had to use any fancy driving techniques either. Seems to work, at least in Pittsburgh snow. Now have a 2021 E350 AWD. I'll be sticking with AWD/4WD, althought I might switch our of Mercedes due to the use of screen/touchbuttons instead of mechanical.
The request was southern California where the driver does not expect to ever encounter snow.

I live in the northeast, drive to Vermont 7 to 10 in the winter for skiing and have AWD.

As an aside, between 1966-1969, I drove a RWD Ford Mustang GT convertible, with only studded snow tires on the rear, regular radials on the front in Syracuse, NY where it snowed everyday. I never got stuck!
Old 06-24-2024, 04:00 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
2020 E53 AMG
I think it really comes down to how you drive and your thought process. I have to admit that I giggle a bit at the posts about slippery pavement in the summer and that being a nice use of AWD.

My point is it comes down to whether you're comfortable without it. I'm 48, live in Alberta where we, at times, have real winters and until this year I've never driven anything other than RWD. I'm comfortable with that, its only really about your own personal preference/comfort. I will say, the E53 has never even hinted at a lack of traction this spring...

Last edited by YYC53; 06-24-2024 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 09:20 AM

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2022 C300 AMG-Line; 2020 E450; 2013 SLK350
Just my $.02 and observation:

The Mercedes is AWD, rear wheel bias. 95% of the time, a Mercedes AWD is in fact a Mercedes RWD. Only when the "computers" sense a loss of traction in the rear, does a portion of the power go to the front wheel. All other times, it is RWD.

I have a Ford Edge Sport that is AWD, front wheel bias.. It was also available in FWD. In my gauge cluster you can see when it is FWD and AWD. Today coming home on the LIE at 65 mph, it was 100% FWD. I gave it some gas to accelerate to 75 MPH. Still FWD. When I accelerate from a stop sign, it is 80% FWD and 20% RWD. But once I achieve my cruising speed it is 100% FWD.

The Mercedes AWD system works is basically the same manner.
I am sorry but I don't quite understand this.

I am driving a proper RWD convertible as well as 2 proper 4MATIC/AWD sedans and directly know the difference in how each car drives on the same roads I use regularly. The E450 does NOT drive like a RWD-bias car. No-way... It is very sure-footed without any slippage, while my RWD SLK has plenty of wheel slippage and happy rears as I navigate around twisties and circles/semi-circles a-plenty here in Maryland. Whatever voodoo MB does to their 4MATIC setup does not permit these cars to break out and lose traction on wet surface of any kind, that can challenge RWD if driver isn't that experienced.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Povitica3
I am sorry but I don't quite understand this.

I am driving a proper RWD convertible as well as 2 proper 4MATIC/AWD sedans and directly know the difference in how each car drives on the same roads I use regularly. The E450 does NOT drive like a RWD-bias car. No-way... It is very sure-footed without any slippage, while my RWD SLK has plenty of wheel slippage and happy rears as I navigate around twisties and circles/semi-circles a-plenty here in Maryland. Whatever voodoo MB does to their 4MATIC setup does not permit these cars to break out and lose traction on wet surface of any kind, that can challenge RWD if driver isn't that experienced.
This is the intent of AWD -- making torque distribution between front and rear imperceptible. The wheel sensors can detect very small rotation differentials among all four wheels and apply correction as required. This is the basis for ABS and traction control
The following 2 users liked this post by streborx:
JTK44 (06-25-2024), Kejad (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 11:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 E400 wagon
I'd opt for the AWD. You'll almost never have wheel slip. It's been nice in wet conditions, nice on dirt/gravel roads (and dirty paved roads), nice on the rare days of ice we get, and (most often) nice pulling into traffic when I'm pointed uphill. The only time I recall my wheels slipping in the past year was a hard acceleration pointed uphill at a heavily sanded/salted intersection.

And the Mercedes AWD is a seamless experience - no clunking or weird power transfers that you might've experienced with older Volvos or Subarus or whatever.
Old 06-25-2024, 02:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,392 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
You'll pay occasionally to service the front differential as part of the awd system and it's a fail point they could cost cash downstream - usually not in the warranty period

awd will re sell better and more people across the country will be interested in an awd used car for sale

awd is great for the "you have no idea what muddy situation you'll find yourself in in life" - slide off the road and it's muddy or wet and you'll be back onto the road more likely by yourself and less likely with need for a tow if you have awd.

awd needs special treatment in a tow situation and the front and rear diff need to be decoupled (usually electronically) before a tow otherwise damage can occur

awd will occasionally kick up gravel from the road to the front doors and side skirts

Last edited by PeterUbers; 06-25-2024 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 02:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,392 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
And from chatgpt

All-wheel-drive (AWD) vehicles offer enhanced traction and stability, particularly in challenging road conditions. However, they come with several disadvantages:

1. **Increased Cost**: AWD systems add complexity to a vehicle, making them more expensive to purchase compared to two-wheel-drive vehicles.

2. **Reduced Fuel Efficiency**: AWD systems add weight and additional drivetrain components, which generally result in lower fuel efficiency compared to two-wheel-drive vehicles.

3. **Higher Maintenance Costs**: The additional components and complexity of AWD systems can lead to increased maintenance and repair costs over the vehicle's lifetime.

4. **Increased Weight**: AWD systems add extra weight to the vehicle, which can negatively impact acceleration, handling, and fuel economy.

5. **Potential Overconfidence**: Drivers might become overconfident in their vehicle's capabilities in adverse conditions, leading to risky driving behavior. While AWD improves traction, it doesn't enhance braking or cornering on slippery surfaces.

6. **Tire Wear**: AWD systems can lead to uneven tire wear if not properly maintained. It's important to rotate tires regularly and ensure they are matched in terms of size, tread depth, and type.

7. **Complexity**: The added complexity of AWD systems means there are more components that could potentially fail, requiring more attention to vehicle maintenance.

In addition to the previously mentioned disadvantages, here are a few more potential downsides of all-wheel-drive (AWD) vehicles:

8. **Reduced Cargo and Passenger Space**: The additional components required for an AWD system can sometimes encroach on interior space, potentially reducing cargo capacity and passenger legroom.

9. **Off-Road Limitations**: While AWD systems provide better traction than two-wheel-drive systems, they are generally not as capable as four-wheel-drive (4WD) systems when it comes to serious off-road conditions. AWD is more suited for on-road driving in adverse weather rather than for extreme off-road adventures.

10. **Resale Value Variability**: Depending on the market and location, the resale value of an AWD vehicle might not always be significantly higher than a two-wheel-drive equivalent. In areas with mild weather, the added feature might not be as attractive to buyers.

11. **Performance Trade-Offs**: For some performance-oriented vehicles, the addition of AWD can alter the handling dynamics. For instance, traditional rear-wheel-drive sports cars might lose some of their agility and handling characteristics when switched to AWD.

12. **Limited Benefits in Certain Climates**: In regions with mild climates and good road conditions year-round, the benefits of AWD may be minimal, making the additional cost and maintenance less justifiable.

13. **Incompatibility with Some Driving Styles**: Drivers accustomed to the handling characteristics of two-wheel-drive vehicles might need to adjust their driving style to accommodate the different dynamics of an AWD vehicle.

Here are a few more potential disadvantages of all-wheel-drive (AWD) vehicles:

14. **Complicated Repairs**: In the event of a breakdown, AWD systems can be more complicated and expensive to repair due to the additional components and technology involved.

15. **Limited Tire Options**: AWD vehicles often require that all four tires be of the same type and have similar tread wear. This can limit your options when replacing tires and necessitates replacing all four tires at once, even if only one is worn out.

16. **Less Maneuverability in Tight Spaces**: The added weight and complexity of AWD systems can make vehicles less nimble and more difficult to maneuver in tight spaces compared to their two-wheel-drive counterparts.

17. **Transmission Wear**: AWD systems can put extra strain on the transmission, potentially leading to increased wear and a shorter lifespan for the transmission components.

18. **Environmental Impact**: Due to their lower fuel efficiency and additional weight, AWD vehicles typically have a higher environmental impact compared to two-wheel-drive vehicles, resulting in higher greenhouse gas emissions.

19. **Complexity in Design and Manufacturing**: The design and manufacturing processes for AWD vehicles are more complex, which can lead to longer production times and potentially higher initial production costs.

20. **Limited Availability in Some Models**: Not all vehicle models offer an AWD option, which can limit your choices if you are specifically looking for an AWD vehicle.

21. **Insurance Costs**: Some insurance providers may charge higher premiums for AWD vehicles due to the increased cost of repairs and potential for higher claims in the event of an accident.

22. **Complex Driving Systems**: AWD systems can complicate the driving experience for those not familiar with their operational nuances, such as how power distribution changes in different driving conditions.

23. **Potential for Misuse**: AWD can mask poor driving habits, such as excessive speeding in inclement weather, potentially leading to dangerous situations where the driver overestimates the vehicle's capabilities.

24. **Higher Initial Depreciation**: AWD vehicles may experience higher initial depreciation compared to two-wheel-drive models, partly due to their higher purchase price and potentially higher maintenance costs.

25. **Performance in Mild Conditions**: In mild driving conditions, the benefits of AWD are negligible, meaning you might not fully utilize the system’s capabilities, rendering the additional expense unjustifiable.

26. **Longer Braking Distance**: AWD does not improve braking performance and, due to the added weight, can sometimes result in a slightly longer braking distance compared to lighter two-wheel-drive vehicles.

27. **Impact on Driving Feel**: Enthusiasts who enjoy the driving dynamics of a rear-wheel-drive or front-wheel-drive vehicle might find the handling characteristics of an AWD vehicle less engaging or less fun to drive.

28. **More Frequent Fluid Changes**: AWD systems often require more frequent maintenance of differentials and transfer cases, including fluid changes, which adds to the overall maintenance schedule and cost.

29. **Potential for Uneven Tire Pressure Impact**: AWD systems can be more sensitive to differences in tire pressure, which means maintaining even tire pressure is crucial to prevent mechanical issues.

30. **Electronics Vulnerability**: Modern AWD systems rely heavily on electronic controls to manage power distribution. These electronics can be susceptible to damage from water, dirt, and other environmental factors, potentially leading to costly repairs.

31. **Impact on Steering Feel**: The complexity of the AWD system can sometimes lead to a numb or less responsive steering feel, which might not appeal to drivers who prioritize precise handling feedback.

32. **Limited Towing Capacity**: While AWD vehicles often have improved traction, they may not necessarily offer the same towing capacity as a similarly sized four-wheel-drive (4WD) vehicle, potentially limiting their usefulness for heavy-duty towing.

33. **Parking Challenges**: The added weight and drivetrain components of an AWD vehicle can make parking, especially parallel parking, more challenging due to the increased turning radius and reduced maneuverability.

34. **Limited Customization Options**: Some AWD vehicles come with specific trim levels and options that might limit your ability to customize the vehicle to your exact preferences compared to two-wheel-drive models.

35. **Potential for Increased Wear on Specific Components**: Components such as differentials, transfer cases, and driveshafts in AWD vehicles can experience increased wear due to the constant distribution of power to all four wheels.

36. **Software and Calibration Issues**: AWD systems rely on complex software to manage power distribution. Malfunctions or improper calibration can lead to suboptimal performance or even mechanical issues.

37. **Noise and Vibration**: The additional drivetrain components in AWD vehicles can sometimes introduce more noise and vibration into the cabin compared to two-wheel-drive vehicles.

38. **Less Suitable for Modifications**: If you are an enthusiast who likes to modify your vehicle, AWD systems can be more challenging and costly to upgrade or modify compared to simpler two-wheel-drive systems.

39. **Market-Specific Demand**: The demand for AWD vehicles can vary significantly by region, meaning in some markets, they might be less desirable and harder to resell.

40. **Battery and Hybrid System Integration**: In hybrid or electric vehicles, integrating an AWD system can be more complex and can sometimes lead to reduced efficiency or performance trade-offs compared to their two-wheel-drive counterparts.

41. **Reliance on Advanced Technology**: AWD systems increasingly rely on advanced electronic aids and sensors. While this can enhance performance, it also means that failures in these systems can be costly to diagnose and repair.

48. Potential for Drivetrain Binding: In some AWD systems, if there are differences in tire size, wear, or pressure, it can lead to drivetrain binding, which can cause damage and affect the vehicle’s handling and performance.

These additional points provide a thorough overview of the potential disadvantages associated with AWD vehicles, helping you make an informed decision based on your driving needs and preferences.

These additional considerations further round out the list of potential disadvantages associated with AWD vehicles, ensuring you have a comprehensive understanding of what to expect

Last edited by PeterUbers; 06-25-2024 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yeah, it is a long list of disadvantages if you start looking into it. I once came across a study that looked into how often AWD is actually a benefit in the real world and they concluded that it's on average only about 1% of the time. AWD has become one of those things that many people think they need, because they might occasionally encounter slippery conditions, but you really have to think about if that 1% is worth being it a disadvantage 99% of the time. For me it isn't worth it, especially living in California. Since I primarily drive high performance cars, all the driving dynamics disadvantages, making the steering more numb and the tendency to understeer far outweigh the occasional traction advantage in the wet. I just drive more cautiously if it rains, or just leave the car in the garage and postpone the trip.

One of the things that really can start to add up is having to replace all 4 tires if one gets damaged and the others are worn past the allowed tolerance. Although, you can have places like TireRack shave down a new tire to match the wear level of the others, so that you don't have to replace all 4 tires, you are still paying for a brand new tire and basically wasting part of its lifetime. Another consideration in case of MB is that you can't rotate the tires due to the size differences between front and rear. At least in case of my Audis they used the same size tires front and rear, so I was able to rotate them effectively.
Old 06-25-2024, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by superswiss
Another consideration in case of MB is that you can't rotate the tires due to the size differences between front and rear.
Most Mercedes have the same tire size front and rear: My 2019 E450 has the same size tire all around.

The exception of course are the performance models, but they make up only a small fraction of total sales.
Old 06-25-2024, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Most Mercedes have the same tire size front and rear: My 2019 E450 has the same size tire all around.

The exception of course are the performance models, but they make up only a small fraction of total sales.
That is not true. It depends on the wheel size. The larger wheels are typically staggered even in the non-performance models. Here are the tire and wheel sizes for the 2025 E350 which OP is inquiring about.

Old 06-25-2024, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by superswiss
That is not true. It depends on the wheel size. The larger wheels are typically staggered even in the non-performance models. Here are the tire and wheel sizes for the 2025 E350 which OP is inquiring about.

Where is this staggered wheel size from?

I do not see it on the official Mercedes Benz website and as I posted the wheels/tires on my E450 are the same front and rear.

Although not definitive here are the tire sizes from Car and Driver for the 2025 E350

Front Wheel Size (inches)
18 X 8
Front Wheel Material
Aluminum
Front Tire Size
P225/55HR18
Rear Wheel Size (inches)
18 X 8
Rear Wheel Material
Aluminum
Rear Tire Size
P225/55HR18

see: https://www.caranddriver.com/mercede...benz-e350_2025
  • Front Wheel Size

18 in*
  • Rear Wheel Size

18 in*
  • Wheel Type

Alloy
  • Front Tire Size

P225/55HR18*
  • Rear Tire Size

P225/55HR18*
see: https://www.truecar.com/mercedes-ben...ss/2025/specs/

• Wheels18-inch 5-spoke (8.0x18 front and rear)
  • Tires225/55R18 front and rear, all-season Extended Mobility

see: https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/mo...specifications

Last edited by JTK44; 06-25-2024 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 628 Posts
The larger wheels and wider tires make those models "performance" models. I agree with @JTK44.
JTK44 (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Where is this staggered wheel size from?
I've attached the DOG. Page 9 is where you can find all the wheel and tire options.

Originally Posted by ua549
The larger wheels and wider tires make those models "performance" models. I agree with @JTK44.
You have a low bar for performance models.
Attached Files

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: All wheel drive advantages?