C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Growl/rumbling noise between 50-70mph

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
haha I don't know who to blame, dealer or MBUSA. I hope they end up replacing the T/C. We'll see tomorrow! Meanwhile I'm enjoying a W204 loaner.

Picked it up with 12 miles on the odometer, built in SA. Already noticed some manufacturing defects.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by Kar don
haha I don't know who to blame, dealer or MBUSA. I hope they end up replacing the T/C. We'll see tomorrow! Meanwhile I'm enjoying a W204 loaner.

Picked it up with 12 miles on the odometer, built in SA. Already noticed some manufacturing defects.
The dealer is probably close to what is needed - hampered my MBUSA!!!

What defects have you found? I'm interested because I've been active on the W204 forum to see how our production is shaping up vs Sindelfingen & Bremen & so far looks good.

The new painting process & paints collect criticism - probably worse from Germany. Sun Roof latch seems problematic.

Things I notice on local production (I'm an **** Virgo)- especially early production are:

misalignment of shoulder trim on doors, dimples in the plastic fuel flap (now resolved), Hood misalignment to front bumper plastic - gap variation left to right either side of grill, headlamp to body misalignment, lower door chrome trim misalignment at front fender interface, lower edge of hood sides - slight pressing ripples, some leather creasing on front seat bolsters (our leather is a lot more durable than the German stuff but they seem to be having slight fitment issues)

In my worldly travels I've had a close look at the German production & it's no better & their environmentally friendly paintwork worse - general body panel fit also worse. The East London plant usually comes out tops in the MB QC round robin.

I personally consider the Vietmam plant to achieve the highest quality. They are fanatical on fit & finish. Run around the gaps with dial gauges!

I'm lucky - my car is immaculately put together. The order was accompanied by a letter from Jurgen Schrempp telling them to do it properly or they would have to build me another one. Jurgen spent a long period of his, now over, DB career in South Africa, firstly as Technical Director & later, after the Euclid debacle, as MD - he was very proud of East London & made sure they always got investment & had the best assembly gear.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-30-2008 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
"clutch components in the T/C were damaged by the glycol"

Ha ha,far more than a torque converter is damaged when a valeo burps coolant into the trans.

I wish you well on your journey of discovery.

ever see the innards of a 722.6 trans turned to goo? yours may be the first one you will see when they take it apart.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
The dealer is probably close to what is needed - hampered my MBUSA!!!

What defects have you found? I'm interested because I've been active on the W204 forum to see how our production is shaping up vs Sindelfingen & Bremen & so far looks good.

The new painting process & paints collect criticism - probably worse from Germany. Sun Roof latch seems problematic.

Things I notice on local production (I'm an **** Virgo)- especially early production are:

misalignment of shoulder trim on doors, dimples in the plastic fuel flap (now resolved), Hood misalignment to front bumper plastic - gap variation left to right either side of grill, headlamp to body misalignment, lower door chrome trim misalignment at front fender interface, lower edge of hood sides - slight pressing ripples, some leather creasing on front seat bolsters (our leather is a lot more durable than the German stuff but they seem to be having slight fitment issues)

In my worldly travels I've had a close look at the German production & it's no better & their environmentally friendly paintwork worse - general body panel fit also worse. The East London plant usually comes out tops in the MB QC round robin.

I personally consider the Vietmam plant to achieve the highest quality. They are fanatical on fit & finish. Run around the gaps with dial gauges!

I'm lucky - my car is immaculately put together. The order was accompanied by a letter from Jurgen Schrempp telling them to do it properly or they would have to build me another one. Jurgen spent a long period of his, now over, DB career in South Africa, firstly as Technical Director & later, after the Euclid debacle, as MD - he was very proud of East London & made sure they always got investment & had the best assembly gear.
There is a mastik or sealer material on the front door inner seam that looks terrible. It is on the front side of the door. Not present on my friends German model

Also the rear door window frame seems to be bowed outboard too far as there is a wind noise/wind leak at 50mph plus. Haven't looked to see if the window frame is part of the door inner or if it is a separate piece welded in.

Other than that body stamping and fit seems to be good, haven't really gone over the paint finish as the car is kind of dirty (winter). Absolutely silent interior, no rattles/buzzing/or clicking. Very impressed with that.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

There is a mastik or sealer material on the front door inner seam that looks terrible. It is on the front side of the door. Not present on my friends German model

Also the rear door window frame seems to be bowed outboard too far as there is a wind noise/wind leak at 50mph plus. Haven't looked to see if the window frame is part of the door inner or if it is a separate piece welded in.

Other than that body stamping and fit seems to be good, haven't really gone over the paint finish as the car is kind of dirty (winter). Absolutely silent interior, no rattles/buzzing/or clicking. Very impressed with that.
Hmmmm! not good. That door frame should never have got through QC. If you are talking about mastic under the paint on the door seam - outer skin wrap over inner skin - I can't believe that has resurfaced. It's part of the corrosion preventive measures. They have had those problems before - sometimes with FINGERPRINTS in the mastic. That was sorted years ago. My W203 is perfect. I'll send the idiots an e mail. If you have time take a pic & post it. I saw a German built S Class on display at the Intercontinental Hotel in Jeddah - Saudi a few months back with the same nonesense, bad front fender alignment & a nice orange peel paint job. Benz must shake up. Their excuse is always Turkish labour.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
The saga continues... Dealer tried the new valve body per MBUSA instruction and it did not solve the issue. MBUSA authorized a T/C replacement but my dealer doesn't think that will fix it either. They think the whole trans. is junk. MBUSA warranty services is so stupid and cheap. All this labor and diagnostics is probably costing more than if they just replaced the transmission in the first place.

PS. tried to adjust the door frame myself on the W204 (bending it) but I think the wind noise just got worse, LOL. If I owned that car it would make me really mad!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

The time has come to get obstreperous. Wave arms & demand a new transmission - this is BS
Old 01-02-2009, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Called the dealer requesting a new transmission, they said they will ask MBUSA. They are trying the torque convertor today.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

If they change the convertor & it's OK - Tell them you want an extended warrantee on all the gearbox friction materials. Glycol soaked friction materials don't appeal to me.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Changed the T/C and still NG. Now the stupid MBUSA TAC wants them to change the transmission mounts. THEN they will finally authorize a transmission (remanfactured). I asked for a new one and they said all the trans replacements are remans. WTF stupid MBUSA.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Changed the T/C and still NG. Now the stupid MBUSA TAC wants them to change the transmission mounts. THEN they will finally authorize a transmission (remanfactured). I asked for a new one and they said all the trans replacements are remans. WTF stupid MBUSA.
MBUSA seem to be real bad news - anyone ever reminded them where they would be without the customer!!!

There is nothing wrong with a properly remanufactured transmission - but it is the principal of the thing. Maybe this is all as a result of low American pricing.

It's quite evident to me that they don't know what's wrong. At this rate they will replace the entire drivetrain.

Run up some miles on the loaner & enjoy
Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
hehe, close to 1000 miles on it already. Got it with 12 miles on it . I'm gonna yell at them again.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Just a thought - while they are messing aroung get them to check the motor mounts as well. The only thing is if it were motor mount related you would feel it through the controls & I would expect some change torque on, torque off.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Actually Glyn, now they are saying they installed new transmission mounts and the tech thinks the noise is gone. He is going to confirm it with the Lead tech... I smell BS. They flushed the trans, replaced the TCU, valve body, and T/C.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Hmm - take the car for a good run before accepting it.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Almost 2 weeks now... the technician said he was satisfied with the repair. The Team leader I drove it with is not satisfied and neither was the shop foreman (thankfully). They are still holding the car... (crossing fingers for new trans.)
Old 01-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

I guess the positive is that they are being honest about it - Good luck
Old 01-08-2009, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Shop Foreman said replace the transmission! I told them to talk to the SPOM to get a new unit.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Good!
Old 01-14-2009, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Dealer still has the car and didn't replace the transmission. They are using tools to analyze the drivetrain/driveshaft angle to see what is causing the vibration. I told them I want a new trans and they said they'll recheck everything.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

Put another 1000 on the loaner - 4Matic is a tried & proven drive system - what are they doing?
Old 03-01-2009, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
dude.. I feel for you.. i have the same exact problem.. I took the car to two dealers and they told me it was the bent rim.. so I replaced it and the noise remains.. then they told me it was the brakes.. so I replaced them.. My warranty ran out long time ago... I also did wheel alignment, tire balancing, and TCU replacement... noise still there.. I can't spend more money on the transmission at this time... good luck on your vehicle...
Old 03-02-2009, 05:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
15' CLS400
I might have the same problem here. After taking off from a light pretty quickly my C230k started to also vibrate at around 40-50mph (like a subwoofer in the back). This went on for two days. Brought it to my brother (cert mechanic). He pounded on the thing by redlining it a couple times and putting some wear on it. After he got done with it, now it made some pretty bad clink-clink noises just by rolling. After his inspection looks like it to be the rear differential and the right side axle. Putting in a used replacement on Wed. We'll see how it goes.

A note to some of the newbies: If you get a vibration from the front (without using your brakes) and find your wheels are balanced its usually your control arm bushings.

Second note: I've learned the hard way, if you have a control arm bushing go replace both upper and lower bushings at the same time. 1: because the other will probably go real soon. 2: you'll have to pay $100 for an alignment each time. Do it once and save yourself $100.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TechSuperstar

A note to some of the newbies: If you get a vibration from the front (without using your brakes) and find your wheels are balanced its usually your control arm bushings.

I think the entire forum knows this!

Second note: I've learned the hard way, if you have a control arm bushing go replace both upper and lower bushings at the same time. 1: because the other will probably go real soon. 2: you'll have to pay $100 for an alignment each time. Do it once and save yourself $100.

By the control arm bushes you mean the castor bushes. I presume by the lower bushes you mean the camber bushes. The castor bushes are a known weakness on the W203. The Camber bushes last forever. BTW - both bushings or bearings as Benz calls them have been redesigned and are now considerably softer than the originals - You should do some reading on the forum TechSuperstar - See DIY stickys & many, many threads in this regard

Read this Bulletin
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...h-bulletin.pdf

Sway bar bushes & links also require consideration.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 03-02-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
15' CLS400
Yes, castor and camber bushes, also known as upper and lower. BTW camber bushings do NOT last forever. If I would have kept them I would have shipped them to you for proof. I agree the sway bar ones as well however they do not require an alignment afterward. Thanks for the additional detail.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Growl/rumbling noise between 50-70mph