C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

M271 header special...again!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08' 135i
Just got it installed today after a lot of heartache and trouble.

First of all Kleemann did not supply me with a gasket for the connection between the headers and the cats. I have asked Cory and he mentioned to me that there was no need for it.

Well my Kleemann workshop took a look at it that it would be impossible without a gasket. That was the first problem that had a potential of delaying the install as it was a Friday and he wasn't sure if there was a shop selling the correct gasket , Luckily there was.

After that was all done another problem crop up, the bloody header and cat are for LHD car. This after I send three email to confirm that this will indeed work on my car without doing additional work. It turns out that was not the case and so they had to cutmy original exhaust and turn it around 180 degrees so it would connect.

So a two hour job ended up being a 5 hour job so in the end I really did not save that much by buying from America not to mention if something were to go wrong (I pray to god it does not) I would have to spend $100-$200 to ship it over there .

Well anyway I am done venting after all that the car do feel a lot smoother in the mid and upper RPM range. It also felt a lot better after I drove the car for about 50km.

The header really changed the tone of my exhaust I'm not sure how to explain it but it used to have a deeper tone and now it has a more throaty tone.

Here is pictures of the header installed and a sound clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPOlof-_Tm0
Attached Thumbnails M271 header special...again!-01.jpg   M271 header special...again!-02.jpg  
Old 03-06-2009, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230 Kompressor Coupe, 2003 E320, 2003 Chevy Corvette Z06
Well hope it works out in the long run, sounded like a real hassle Do you remember the size of the gasket that they had to run between the down pipe and header? Sounds AWESOME btw, never heard of piecha exhaust before though; do they make stuff for other benzes as well?
Old 03-06-2009, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
W205 C400
Originally Posted by RaihaX
Hey RaihaX, sounds good man....

Sorry to hear about the extra work it needed man, so there is a diff. between RHD and LHD... Never heard of that, there a couple of guys from a UK forum and they fitted them also.

But after all the job is done, sound is good, gain is good, and the looks are SUPER!!!

congrats RaihaX

NOTE to any one who gonna install the headers:

THERE IS NO WAY TO FIT IT WITHOUT A GASKET BETWEEN HEADERS AND CAT!! So be sure to buy a gasket before you going to install it!!

So dont know how Cory wants to do that, BECAUSE IT CAN'T !!
Old 03-06-2009, 10:39 AM

'05 C230 Kompressor SS
Anybody have a sound clip with the header and factory exhaust?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:54 AM

2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by kOMPRESSEDc230
Anybody have a sound clip with the header and factory exhaust?
Here's a link to my thread on Benzworld.org. I've got youtube links with my headers/primary cat installed (Used headers - Primary cat from Cory). Stock exhaust. Not the greatest videos, but I hope they help.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C400
Originally Posted by reddog093
Question: Did you receive the gasket between headers and cat??
Old 03-06-2009, 11:58 AM

2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by Petje
To be honest I don't know. It took a local kleemann authorized shop about 4-5 hours to do the installation. They didn't mention that anything was missing, just that there was some cutting involved. I'm not sure if that is something that would have come w/ the cat, or if it was in the box w/ the headers (I don't think so though).
Old 03-06-2009, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
missing gasket?

Petje,
is this the gasket that was missing??

Old 03-06-2009, 02:12 PM

'05 C230 Kompressor SS
Originally Posted by reddog093
Here's a link to my thread on Benzworld.org. I've got youtube links with my headers/primary cat installed (Used headers - Primary cat from Cory). Stock exhaust. Not the greatest videos, but I hope they help.
Thanks, man!
Old 03-06-2009, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C400
Originally Posted by ROLLNNN
Petje,
is this the gasket that was missing??
It looks like the same i bought, i dont have the correct size, sorry.

I took my kleemann stuff with me and fitted it in the parts shop untill i found the good size.

If it fits's in the headers and cat than it's ok!!

When you gonna instal the stuff??

Old 03-06-2009, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It looks like the same i bought, i dont have the correct size, sorry.

I took my kleemann stuff with me and fitted it in the parts shop untill i found the good size.

If it fits's in the headers and cat than it's ok!!

When you gonna instal the stuff??

my shop received the Header yesterday(had it shipped to them directly) but i'm not available to install til tomorrow. I actually emailed Cory yesterday and he got back to me this morning saying, that was the part that was accidentally left out of the package(he sent the pic) He is overnighting it to me and should have it by 11am tomorrow(thats what fedex told him.) i just wanted to make sure that was the part that was missing for you guys and not something else.

I had an appt with my shop at 9am, but i guess i have to wait until i receive that seal ring now. Hopefully it doesnt arrive at like 5pm...

Thanks
Old 03-06-2009, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
my shop received the Header yesterday(had it shipped to them directly) but i'm not available to install til tomorrow. I actually emailed Cory yesterday and he got back to me this morning saying, that was the part that was accidentally left out of the package(he sent the pic) He is overnighting it to me and should have it by 11am tomorrow(thats what fedex told him.) i just wanted to make sure that was the part that was missing for you guys and not something else.

I had an appt with my shop at 9am, but i guess i have to wait until i receive that seal ring now. Hopefully it doesnt arrive at like 5pm...

Thanks
"accidentally" left out of a lot of packages!

the part looks exactly like what i got. and if i recall what i previously posted (too lazy to scoll back), i said it was about 2.5'' so you're good to go!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Just got it installed today after a lot of heartache and trouble.

First of all Kleemann did not supply me with a gasket for the connection between the headers and the cats. I have asked Cory and he mentioned to me that there was no need for it.

Well my Kleemann workshop took a look at it that it would be impossible without a gasket. That was the first problem that had a potential of delaying the install as it was a Friday and he wasn't sure if there was a shop selling the correct gasket , Luckily there was.

After that was all done another problem crop up, the bloody header and cat are for LHD car. This after I send three email to confirm that this will indeed work on my car without doing additional work. It turns out that was not the case and so they had to cutmy original exhaust and turn it around 180 degrees so it would connect.

So a two hour job ended up being a 5 hour job so in the end I really did not save that much by buying from America not to mention if something were to go wrong (I pray to god it does not) I would have to spend $100-$200 to ship it over there .

Well anyway I am done venting after all that the car do feel a lot smoother in the mid and upper RPM range. It also felt a lot better after I drove the car for about 50km.

The header really changed the tone of my exhaust I'm not sure how to explain it but it used to have a deeper tone and now it has a more throaty tone.

Here is pictures of the header installed and a sound clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPOlof-_Tm0

wow... i love the sound, i wonder if the have an exhaust for our coupe...

your dual exhaust and diffuser are badass
Old 03-06-2009, 05:32 PM

08' 135i
Originally Posted by CoupeCrazy03
Well hope it works out in the long run, sounded like a real hassle Do you remember the size of the gasket that they had to run between the down pipe and header? Sounds AWESOME btw, never heard of piecha exhaust before though; do they make stuff for other benzes as well?
Yeah I sure hope so. Piecha only make mods for the R171, R170, R230, C219 and C209

Hey RaihaX, sounds good man....

Sorry to hear about the extra work it needed man, so there is a diff. between RHD and LHD... Never heard of that, there a couple of guys from a UK forum and they fitted them also.
Well my guy said the connection was by a couple of centimeter

NOTE to any one who gonna install the headers:

THERE IS NO WAY TO FIT IT WITHOUT A GASKET BETWEEN HEADERS AND CAT!! So be sure to buy a gasket before you going to install it!!

So dont know how Cory wants to do that, BECAUSE IT CAN'T !!
Definitely does not work I explain to the shop Cory's explanation and as someone else has explain since the pipe connect like this [ ] is not gonna work without a gasket.

emailed Cory yesterday and he got back to me this morning saying, that was the part that was accidentally left out of the package(he sent the pic)
LOL how many packages is that now ???? geez!

Originally Posted by midnight kompre
wow... i love the sound, i wonder if the have an exhaust for our coupe...

your dual exhaust and diffuser are badass
Thanks for the compliment all
Old 03-06-2009, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by midnight kompre
"accidentally" left out of a lot of packages!

LOL how many packages is that now ???? geez!
Here's part of the email that Cory sent me:

"It was just brought to my attention that all of the 271 header kits I've shipped was missing the seal ring for the connection between the down pipe and the header. I'll be sure to get the seal-ring out today for you- I apologize for the mix-up."

Did you guys try and get in touch with him when you received the header? I actually didn't think he would reply to me since everyone was missing it, but he got back to me in good time and sent the gasket overnight, just tracked it on fedex... so. so far ill have to give him with my purchase...
Old 03-06-2009, 05:50 PM

08' 135i
Did you guys try and get in touch with him when you received the header? I actually didn't think he would reply to me since everyone was missing it, but he got back to me in good time and sent the gasket overnight, just tracked it on fedex... so. so far ill have to give him with my purchase...
I will pass him an email right now
Old 03-06-2009, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203

"It was just brought to my attention that all of the 271 header kits I've shipped was missing the seal ring for the connection between the down pipe and the header. I'll be sure to get the seal-ring out today for you- I apologize for the mix-up."

i called him at the shop when the box was opened, but he didn't pick up b/c they were closed.

however, i DID inform him that there was a part missing complained by another guy and he told me that everything will be there in my package. but i doubt he even checked... oh well. its installed and i'm very happy with it.

i'm just praying i dont have sensor issues later.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C400
Originally Posted by infected
From Cory:

Nope, no gasket. These headers are designed the same way factory V8 MB exhaust systems are- there's a seal "ring" welded to the header, and the flange on the down pipe is swelled. The swelled section of the down pipe seals against ring that's welded to the header. As the header gets hot, the metal expands, and seals.
If you guys look at the pics, the whole set up is slightly different. You can tell by the flange on the header; it's one piece rather than individual.
Why didnt Cory check it earlier, Infected had informed also about the gasket, i was screeming it the whole time here

I Made a DIY, send a pm to Cory, but no reply!!

Its a shame, sorry to say that but that isnt good customer service at all.

If Cory even took time to email to Kleemann Denmark (because may be he didnt know) He sure got the right answer about the damn gasket.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 ML500
Ok, should be getting the gasket in the mail. It's an inconvenience but at least they realized it.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
So...is that a 2.25 in inside diameter gasket then? That may be the reason for my P0420 code due to small leak because of lack of the gasket.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The seal ring gasket came in yesterday. That thing was thicker than i thought. Its almost an inch thick(sorry forgot to take close up pic,) so when putting it in between the header and downpipe, it made the 3 bolts too short to connect. I wish i took pics, but the header was already installed, it was late and i just wanted it to be done. This whole install was a mission. Anyways here's a pic of it installed. Ill add more in my thread...

Old 03-09-2009, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C400
The seal ring gasket came in yesterday. That thing was thicker than i thought. Its almost an inch thick(sorry forgot to take close up pic,) so when putting it in between the header and downpipe, it made the 3 bolts too short to connect. I wish i took pics, but the header was already installed, it was late and i just wanted it to be done. This whole install was a mission. Anyways here's a pic of it installed. Ill add more in my thread...

Hi Roland,

Looks good.... were is your thread??

Forget it, if found your thread !!

Last edited by Petje; 03-09-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W124, W203, W204, W251

What did you do with those 3 bolts? Did you replace it with the longer one?
...just want to make sure I have everything before i go to the shop!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Utahkompressor
What did you do with those 3 bolts? Did you replace it with the longer one?
...just want to make sure I have everything before i go to the shop!
Yeah i just went to autozone and bought 3 longer bolts. I don't remember what size they were. But if you just got the header and it has the seal ring gasket included, maybe the correct size bolts came with it too. Check it out before hand...
Old 03-17-2009, 03:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W124, W203, W204, W251
....Just what I expected, the bolts are too short.

Now, I have to go to autozone to get a new set....Cory just can't make things right the firdst time!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: M271 header special...again!