C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

My Truth with Tein Basics (and lower in general)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
My Truth with Tein Basics (and lower in general)

Disclaimer: Im not saying that this is how everyone's experience is or will be with Tein basics, but I have not heard of anyone with any OTHER brand of suspension finding themselves in these situations.

Here is the short story of my adventure with Tein Basics:

They were cheap (under 800 shipped) and had dampers to appropriately couple with springs. I couldn't say no.

I only had one issue w/ Tein basics when I first installed them - the rear ride height refused to be even, even after I had counted threads from side to side (and corner to corner). The solution was to raise the rear passenger side (the side that was lower) by about half an inch. I called Tein and Tein said this was normal. I was able to carry full loads of passengers w/o any rubbing at all and still be pretty dang low with some not so ideal tires in the rear.

Everything was great for about two years and 30k (maybe 35k) miles.

Then, I started scraping in the rear whenever I had at least one passenger.

I adjusted the rear ride height up. The height of my car did NOT change - this further loaded the springs. I noticed the springs were fully binding (you can see it on the paint between the coils).

I called Tein. They said they would work on a new set of springs. Why? Because the springs are under sprung and short to allow for greater height adjustment. Furthermore, the springs are non progressive and coupled w/ under dampened dampers on the basics. (These are things I learned from speaking with Tein reps) I learned that the springs are exactly the same from SS and Basics, but the SS dampers are inherently stiffer. They said they would produce a new rear set up for basic users in 2 - 3 months. I decide to wait for it...

About a month in during one of my phone calls w/ Tein, their rep tells me I'm not the only one who has encountered this issue w/ the Basics for the w203 and since then I've found a few other people on the forums (who may or may not come forward), who have faced similar issues. I wish they would have posted something like this before I bought my basics. Still waiting.

I drove for 2 months w/ less than half a tank of gas and avoided carrying passengers, while keeping in touch w/ Tein about the production of their new rear suspension.

3 months. I finally hear that they've got new designs and are not just going to replace the springs and height adjustment seat (HAS), but they are also including dampers that are more suited to the new springs. They say to wait for a bit more.

8 months from when I first contacted them, there is still no solution. I am fed up with waiting and calling on a weekly basis only to find out I have to drive yet for another week with no more than half a tank of gas and not carry passengers. I buy a set of USED (with about 20k on them) eibach springs (progressively wound) and koni yellows + the 17mm rear spring pads. I install them - NO issues since.

I still have tein basics up front. I have the most unusual suspension EVER, but it keeps all four wheels glued to the ground. I put another 10k on these springs/konis... so they've got about the same if not more miles on them than the basics... no problems what so ever.

In comparison to the basics, the springs + konis are no stiffer, but the ride height is higher in the rear - Im no longer tucking my wheels in the rear and have about two fingers of space between the wheel and fender in the rear while I have one fingers space between the front tires and front fenders.. I still stick through corners and may consider the thinnest spring pad in the rear just for looks, but right now, everything is great AND I noticed my car diving MUCH less during hard braking.

I'm sharing all of this in hopes to persuade any newcomer to the MB modding world away from Tein Basics because I honestly don't think fixing their issue w/ Tein basics for the w203 is worth Tein's time/money - just from a ROI standpoint.

And in all honestly, those of you trying to lower your cars while saving some $$, should really consider springs and koni yellows. Adjusting the height of the rear of ANY coil over set up on the w203 involves basically dismantling the entire rear suspension anyways.... Not to mention the further restriction of having to run lower offsets up front (27-28 with COs as opposed to ~35 for springs) will limit your selection of wheels. Having greater offset up front and more space to clear the suspension can also get you WIDER tires upfront - 235 or 245 without having to buy the most expensive thin/round side-walled tires there are out there.

Anyone with issues w/ the Tein basics should speak up and save the new folks the hassle.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this information has been helpful.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 SLK 55 AMG
It's great to hear these things.
If others could confirm? Opinions?

Eventually I'll drop my car, so I just have to gather research way beforehand. ie: now.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 PM

06' BMW M3
Thanks for the Post Tru Taing. I've tried to sell/trade/hock/give away my w203 with no luck,so I'm thinking of getting some coilovers or the konis like you mentioned.I have H & R springs on my car now and I recently replaced my rear tires with new Nittos 555's (same tire/size as I had before) ,but now my car rubs and "bottoms out"( for the Cali guys - you gotta love that stretch of 405 just past the 10 going North) so I'm thinking either my shocks or springs are shot or both.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
did you keep the stock spring pad when you installed the coil overs? I kepted the spring pad when i installed my d2's to give it a little more height to make my car have that rake look.

I haven't had any issues with rubbing when there's passenagers. i have about 1.5finger rear and 1 finger fronts.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Yours is exactly the kind of thread we should see more frequently around here.

It is always a kick to share with the forum how well our new hardware or software is performing. Been guilty of doing so myself. Even more appropriate is swallowing the anticipated pride that goes with the rewarding aspect of our hobby; that of disclosing the purchases which don’t work as intended or advertised.

I have ‘invested’ discretionary funds with several forum sponsors and aftermarket suppliers. MBenzNL, Vadim, evosport, and LET have all provided excellent products and admirable post-sale support. Another vendor (a current MBW sponsor) has been, and continues to be substandard, IMHO. I’ve posted about those frustrations in several threads, as well. Sorry to learn your former springs & dampers didn’t properly enhance your unique W203 combination. I do, however, very much appreciate and respect your forthrightness and honesty.

Perhaps the experience you have shared will help other members avoid similar grief and disappointment.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:02 PM

06' BMW M3
Originally Posted by splinter
Yours is exactly the kind of thread we should see more frequently around here.

It is always a kick to share with the forum how well our new hardware or software is performing. Been guilty of doing so myself. Even more appropriate is swallowing the anticipated pride that goes with the rewarding aspect of our hobby; that of disclosing the purchases which don’t work as intended or advertised.

I have ‘invested’ discretionary funds with several forum sponsors and aftermarket suppliers. MBenzNL, Vadim, evosport, and LET have all provided excellent products and admirable post-sale support. Another vendor (a current MBW sponsor) has been, and continues to be substandard, IMHO. I’ve posted about those frustrations in several threads, as well. Sorry to learn your former springs & dampers didn’t properly enhance your unique W203 combination. I do, however, very much appreciate and respect your forthrightness and honesty.

Perhaps the experience you have shared will help other members avoid similar grief and disappointment.

+1...nice post John,well said....btw any advice/suggestion you're willing to give me on a "suspension set up" would be appreciated(as always).
Old 04-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by Phin
....btw any advice/suggestion you're willing to give me on a "suspension set up" would be appreciated(as always).
Hello Bill.
You should at least fit some #4 pads (if you haven’t already) to help alleviate the rubbing.
Far be it from me to suggest narrower tires before you send it into the Pacific. *ducking*
Old 04-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Moderator Alumni

w203 m112
I agree with everything ya said splinter

IMHO. You've got the best suspension setup for any w203 - its effective and visually appealing Ya should post the info about the springs, the width/offset of your wheels, and the type of tires you use.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uh oh, I'm getting worried now.

Although I only have about 1500 miles on the coils so far.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:05 AM

W203
My Teins have sagged about 1/2" in the rear, hopefully I'll be able to raise them to pass safety, cannot have the tires tucked.

I've never had rubbing issues, and I run a 9.5 wheel with a 265 tire.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:39 AM

C280
WOW! Well, as usual Thanks TruTaing for your contribution to this forum! I'm maybe one person you just saved a whole heck of a headache. Do you recall that thread that was posted here about Tien looking for a C320 to run test on? Well since I have stock suspension and my C280 and is a V6, similar to a C320. I contacted Tien. Their Initial respond was. No thanks! We need a C320. About 2 months later (4 weeks ago) On a Thursday evening I received another e-mail requesting pictures of my car, Side shots, engine bay, and a rear shot. The email also said their engineering team maybe able to use my C280 for R&D and needed it the following week. Needless to say, I sent them the required pictures hoping they'll use my car for R&D and in return, score a set of Free Tien Coilovers. After sending them the required pic. I didn't hear back from them for another week. This time they said the R&D has been delayed till the end of April and they will get in touch with me then. I couldn't wait to get to the end of this Month. Well, it looks like I may have to rethink this whole thing. Unless, having Tien use my car for R&D may resolve this whole problem they're having.

What are your thoughts? Should I or should I not? I guess ultimately it's my decision. But is it worth the headache? Plus who really knows what the hell they'll do to my car.

Last edited by BlackC280; 04-02-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:00 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
subscribed...read later...lol

no issue with TEIN SS over 30k plus miles.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Moderator Alumni

w203 m112
Originally Posted by BlackC280
What are your thoughts? Should I or should I not? I guess ultimately it's my decision. But is it worth the headache? Plus who really knows what the hell they'll do to my car.
I dunno how many times they gave me the run around w/ "we're working on it" and such. I have faith that their R&D department can make something that makes more sense for longevity, but I don't feel like the finances make enough sense. In other words, I don't feel like there will be enough people who drive w203s for long enough w/ tein basics to fail and thus producing a more suitable rear suspension for the basics does not make financial sense.

If they do say they have made a new rear setup for the basics, I would be glad to give it a try, but they have been telling me this and that for much too long. If you're going to buy Coils - PONY UP and just buy the $1200+ kinda gear :x Adjustable dampers are more valuable on a day to day basis than height adjustment IMHO.

Frank: I havent heard one complaint from any of the SS owners, it makes sense though because the dampers are supposed to be pretty stiff (on the softest settting) in comparison to the basics.

In general: I dont think anyone should go into any modding without the understanding that you're trying to improve something that has been thoroughly engineered and that there is a chance that your attempt to improve it will fail. I am more disappointed with Tein's inability to build "basic" suspension that will last more than 30k. I figured most suspension would last longer, but I am equally disappointed that I waited 8-9 months for a resolution and didn't find one.

I am not at all disappointed w/ the wonderful experience of cursing, bloodied knuckles, and hours and hours spent under my car (lol) that came w/ having to dismantle my rear suspension countless times to try and figure out wtf was going on. (ha) I did learn a lot... the hard way - I figure this post would help out the new folks!

so for now:
Old 04-02-2009, 11:46 AM

2001 C240
Tein Basics Suck thats all I have to say about that.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:08 PM
oo3

Silver 2005 C230k
Through my experience with lowered cars, all third party spring/coilover systems I've had eventually got softer, hence the rubbing. I've had neuspeed, h & r, skunk2, it doesn't matter. Eventually the springs will wear and rub. Of course, all these were for Hondas so what do I know?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:15 PM

2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
I am really glad that you posted this, it's the first I've heard of any problems and I would have been really dissapointed if I had purchased these and had the same problems as you.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
Originally Posted by romz
Tein Basics Suck thats all I have to say about that.
+25 Billion!!!!! lol its true "They SUCK" i had Tein Basic it gave me so much headache i wanted to just sell my car!
got rid of them and got me some KW-V2 and now am a happy again.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
That is my biggest gripe with the Teins and a few other coilover setups. To properly allow the range of height adjustment they do, they should have spring preload adjustment AND strut body (height) adjustment.

If you are getting coil bind at your low height, then the springs are too short or not stiff enough. It is also unnerving how much the spring rate has decreased over a fairly short time.

Subscribing, as I am curious to see what others are experiencing with the Teins.

Last edited by johnand; 04-02-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i dont think its because the spring is too soft...if its the same spring rate as the tein ss. The rear is 448 ft lb rear, i'm running 476 ft lb rear and dont have any problems. i'm guessing the spring is either too short or he lower the car too much and there no load on the spring and he's just riding on the struts.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:36 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
read trutaing's first post.

i think it's just the matter of how high you set your suspension. a lot of people doesn't matter what brand of coilover they use often set their coilovers too low which can cause the shocks to bottom out easier. most of the coilover brand would never recommend to really "slam" the car. I've had friends that because they lowered it too much it blew the shocks on a KW V2 setup and also another lowered his car in the rear too much the adjustable ring on the perch messed up the tread on the perch and he had to get a new one.

on the TEIN part, I've heard in their early production Basics they did provide the wrong springs for the rear. clearest example was Wavey's car which it had shorter springs. but then...no body has any problems with the TEIN SS. lol
Old 04-02-2009, 06:39 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by johnand
That is my biggest gripe with the Teins and a few other coilover setups. To properly allow the range of height adjustment they do, they should have spring preload adjustment AND strut body (height) adjustment.

If you are getting coil bind at your low height, then the springs are too short or not stiff enough. It is also unnerving how much the spring rate has decreased over a fairly short time.

Subscribing, as I am curious to see what others are experiencing with the Teins.
as temjin/mike said. if it works on one height and not the other. it's the springs being too short.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i'm looking at john's coil diy he posted last yr. The one thing i notice by about the tein setup that differs from d2's is that the tein one has the adjust on the top and the spring on the bottom.

On my d2's the adjuster is on the bottom and stock spring pad sits on top. Mines basically set to the lowest level and i dont rub or bottom out with passenagers on board.

So john might be right, it might be a design issue...I think your gonna have to get your tein basics and measure the springs from a tein ss and see if there different lengths or not.

my d2's

Old 04-02-2009, 08:20 PM

W124, W203, W204, W251
Can you show us more pictures of the rims?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

there's more pics on TemjinX2 ride link on my sig

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...s-rides-2.html
Old 04-02-2009, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A box on 4 wheels
I had similar issues with my Tein basics as well, my rear would always rub when I had a single passenger in the back. However I fixed that issue by raising my rear by an inch, I have had no issues with the front so far.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Truth with Tein Basics (and lower in general)